PDA

View Full Version : How will your range time change?

CCT125US
12-25-2012, 11:10 PM
With the potential changes coming and the recent availability issues how is your range time going to be spent? I understand that some folks have access to ammo courtesy of their employer. For the everyday gun owner, who for the time being, has seen ammo vanish from store shelves what can they do? For example if you currently have a 10K per year expenditure, do you cut back to 50%? Taking it further, do you then spend half the time you once did at the range? Do you shoot 50% rim fire and the other 50% centerfire? Do you spend the same dollar amount and shoot what you can?

Also, when it comes to teaching and instructing I really feel for the new gun owner, who for the time being is limited in the number of quality choices out there. I have heard and witnessed examples of people buying whatever was in stock without putting any thought into the purpose of the gun. Kind of makes it difficult to suggest a student checks out gun X only to find that gun x is out of stock with no further info available. Also class round count, makes it hard for students to bring 500 rounds per day when they can't find 50.

For myself, I go through at least 12K per year on the low side, with 2-300 per week, plus classes I attend and teach. My personal plan remains unchanged at this time. However, if things are taking a turn for the worse or supplies don't loosen up in 6 months I may start shooting several very specific drills in rotation. For example, the 99 drill is what I consider a fantastic way to improve and be very focused. That would take me to roughly the 50% consumption mark and still force me to improve. I would certainly shoot others in rotation but that specific drill comes to mind. You just have more options when you know you can go through 2-300 today.

Just looking for insights and thoughts from others. I know there is much panic out there, but honestly I have seen this before and am not surprised or empty handed.

secondstoryguy
12-26-2012, 12:04 AM
I don't really understand the panic buying of ammo. It has never been banned as far as I know and no one has said anything about restrictions on ammo. Just wait for the mouth breathers to get it out of their system/max their credit cards out and in a few months we will likely be back to our regularly scheduled program. If nothing else I've learned to have a healthy stash to get me through times like this and thar reloading helps supplement factory ammunition supplies.

nwhpfan
12-26-2012, 01:00 AM
I don't plan on changing anything but there are a lot of people who on one hand moan about shortages while being part of problem. I've seen a lot of -I had to stock up before the hoarders, bla, bla - which is essentially the pot calling the kettle black....

Kyle Reese
12-26-2012, 03:14 AM
I don't really understand the panic buying of ammo. It has never been banned as far as I know and no one has said anything about restrictions on ammo. Just wait for the mouth breathers to get it out of their system/max their credit cards out and in a few months we will likely be back to our regularly scheduled program. If nothing else I've learned to have a healthy stash to get me through times like this and thar reloading helps supplement factory ammunition supplies.

Pretty much this. I predict that we'll see increased ammo/mag/lower availability when many folks are trying to offload them at a loss when their MasterCard bill arrives in a few weeks. I saw people this weekend buying items like .22 Marlin bolt guns, huge quantities of .17 HMR and even muzzle loaders like it was the zombie apocalypse, to say nothing of MSR's.

I do plan on procuring an M&P 22 handgun soon for rimfire matches.

Vinh
12-26-2012, 09:35 AM
I was foolish and burnt up most of my ammo before the school shooting. So, my range time is on hold until I can order a couple thousand rounds of .45 and 5.56.

LittleLebowski
12-26-2012, 09:41 AM

Connecticut has a proposed bill that includes a 50% ammo tax.

jon volk
12-26-2012, 09:51 AM

Ordered a SIRT Pro last week.

ford.304
12-26-2012, 09:56 AM

Or microstamping. Dear lord. I heard someone make the argument that "we put microstamping on a $10 bill, we can put it on ammunition." I was laughing too hard to reply.

BLR
12-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Not going to change a bit. Worse comes to worst, I'll start reclaiming my lead. 45 brass lasts forever. And I have the capability of making primers.

Pics of primers when I get back into the office...

CCT125US
12-26-2012, 10:53 AM
And I have the capability of making primers.

You're like James Bond, MacGyver, and a mad scientist rolled into one.

The other issue coming is people getting into reloading in record numbers when they realize demand has taken over supply. Hoards of first timers will jump into the game because they don't want to pay $18 for something that cost $13. They snap up components with good intentions only to find out they may not have the mechanical ability to produce. Great example is my neighbor, picked up a Dillon 550 last year and he has not used it because I have not set it up on the table my Dad built for him. I see it happen over and over each time there is a lack of supply. Currently 50 rds of 9mm costs me $6.25 using Berry's plated. If cost for the bullet itself ($88) becomes a factor, or supply goes slim, I can go to a cast bullet supplier and produce 1K for $95. As Bill stated I can go back to casting my own and pay $37 per K. I already have the powder and primers, so casting is essentially costing me nothing. Only challenge with that is my LGS does not allow the use of cast bullets. However, my range will provide an endless supply of lead. One day I might run out of primers but looks like MacGyver has that one covered. Brass is no problem as my rate of recovery vs my rate of loss is greater.

Chuck Haggard
12-26-2012, 08:25 PM
I'll be likely cutting back some of the high round count schools I was going to attend.

Worse comes to worse I'll be doing lots of dry fire and .22 shooting. I have quite a bit of .22 ammo to work with.

SecondsCount
12-27-2012, 12:52 AM
If as a family we slow down a little then we should be good for two years. By then the current administration will be completely embarrassed by their attempt at reducing the rights of the American public and will officially be a lame duck.

YVK
12-27-2012, 09:58 AM
I'll take on archery.

Seriously, no changes. Last time I went through this in 2008, I had to shoot 45 rather than 9, so maybe that.

JodyH
12-28-2012, 09:05 AM
My competition schedule will take the biggest hit. Especially IPSC high round count matches.

I can maintain 90% of my skill level with dry fire and 50 rounds a week. That's good enough until the frenzy slows down.
Over the winter I usually slow down anyway since we have no indoor ranges and it gets dark so early (I'm on the mtn. time zone eastern border, its dark by 4:30pm).

I'll just spend more time on BJJ/MMA and my knife skills.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Mitchell, Esq.
12-28-2012, 09:45 AM
50% ammo tax...

I plan to visit a rabbi in PA who is trying to set me up with a nice Jewish girl...

Considering I'm picky, that may take a while...oh. Look!

Cabellas, Bass Pro & Gander Mountain!

JM Campbell
12-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Not going to change a bit. Worse comes to worst, I'll start reclaiming my lead. 45 brass lasts forever. And I have the capability of making primers.

I'm your long lost son...I'm potty trained, do chores, do what I'm told and keep my mouth shut.

:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

mizer67
12-28-2012, 02:03 PM
I learned my lesson in '08. Never again.

No changes this time around.

LOKNLOD
12-28-2012, 07:05 PM
I would have to actually get range time for it to change any...

Stuffbreaker
01-24-2013, 10:17 AM
I plan to make the same number of range visits in 2013, but will shoot roughly half the center fire I did last year. Most transition, SHO and WHO practice will be with .22lr. I have enough components to get me halfway through the year, with the rest currently on backorder. I'm finding CCI Mini Mags hardest to find right now, which concerns me since running Steel Challenge with anything less is a crap shoot.

I will not cut back on USPSA or IDPA since they provide outdoor shooting oportunities so difficult to find in my area. Will shoot 2-3 matches of this type per month, but will shoot less Steel Challenge since it burns 2-4 times the ammo. Competing and training with high-level shooters has accelerated my progress, so running matches takes the highest priority in the near term.

Dry fire has become an increasingly important part of my training of late, and I will continue to do this 2-4 times per week.

Most of my class training was done in 2010 and 2011, with 2012 devoted to competition. A couple buddies and I hope to do a competition-oriented semi-private lesson with an area M or GM shooter.