PDA

View Full Version : Federal 9MS?

Chris Rhines
12-25-2012, 12:21 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a couple of cases of Federal 9MS, 147grn. Hi-Shok ammo at a very attractive price (for JHPs, that is.) What should I know about it? Is it good carry ammunition, or should it be relegated to the practice bin?

Thanks!

DocGKR
12-25-2012, 12:56 PM
It was one of the best carry loads in the late 1980's/early 1990's...If you still patrol in a Chevy Caprice Classic, this is the ammo for you. Otherwise, there are far better choices available now that offer more robust expansion and better consistency against intermediate barriers.

GJM
12-25-2012, 02:41 PM
If you still patrol in a Chevy Caprice Classic, this is the ammo for you.

That is rough, Doc!

ST911
12-25-2012, 09:00 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a couple of cases of Federal 9MS, 147grn. Hi-Shok ammo at a very attractive price (for JHPs, that is.) What should I know about it? Is it good carry ammunition, or should it be relegated to the practice bin? Thanks!

Coincidentally, I got a few thousand rounds of the 9MS earlier this month. It is a price leader on a current contract and as cheap as running training FMJ. It has been quite accurate, reliable, and has a very nice recoil impulse in the gen4 Glock 9mms I'm running it in. As Doc notes there are better carry loads, but I am using some of this 9MS as a deep storage contingency load.

It was one of the best carry loads in the late 1980's/early 1990's...If you still patrol in a Chevy Caprice Classic, this is the ammo for you. *Otherwise, there are far better choices available now that offer more robust expansion and better consistency against intermediate barriers.

Given some of the quirks of the newest police sedans, there are days that I think having the old Caprices and LTDs wouldn't be so bad. You can at least hit a delineator post or mailbox or two in those. :D

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/MISC/9MSgen4G19.jpg

DocGKR
12-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Spent many a day in a Caprice Classic carrying 9MS. As noted, 9MS is indeed very accurate--won the Crane testing for NCIS use back in the early 1990's.

Chuck Haggard
12-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Sometimes not being the best load is still worth buying.

I recently bought a bunch of 115gr Silvertip. Why would I do that knowing the issues with that ammo? $8 a box is why. It's accurate, fast, and coyotes/targets/steel/pop cans don't care that it doesn't make FBI spec.

I'd buy a bunch of the 9MS load given the chance to get a good price.

DocGKR
12-26-2012, 01:17 AM
I'd practice with Silvertips at $8/50--heck, if I could find 30,000 rounds of it locally tomorrow at that price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat...

Tamara
12-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Sometimes not being the best load is still worth buying.

I recently bought a bunch of 115gr Silvertip. Why would I do that knowing the issues with that ammo? $8 a box is why. It's accurate, fast, and coyotes/targets/steel/pop cans don't care that it doesn't make FBI spec.

I buy a bunch of the 9MS load given the chance to get a good price.

This.

I found a screaming deal on some 147gr Hydra-Shoks (P9HS2, I think? In the old 50rd gold boxes) at a gun show several years back. While there are dozens of better carry loads these days, these things, being heavy-for-caliber and having a sharp-edged HP cavity, were hell on bowling pins. :D

Chuck Haggard
12-26-2012, 05:49 PM
I'd practice with Silvertips at $8/50--heck, if I could find 30,000 rounds of it locally tomorrow at that price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat...

I walked into a shop that had 2500 rounds at $8 a box, I took all of it.

ST911
12-26-2012, 06:22 PM

Days like that make putting up with some of the LGS nonsense worthwhile.

Tamara
12-26-2012, 06:47 PM

I wound up with ten or twelve 50-round boxes of .32ACP Silvertips in practically the same manner. (Except it was my friends at the shop who called me and asked "There's guy who wants to sell a bunch of .32 Silvertips, and I know you've been collecting old pocket pistols lately..." If I lose my mind and start CCW'ing one of my 1903 Colts, I am in like Flynn. :D )

Chuck Haggard
12-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Tam, get one of these;
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-83/

and you can carry a modern pistol that ticks all kinds of people off. The gun ban people will hate the capacity, the big bore guys will hate the caliber..... and you can make good use of your ammo stash when OMGZATSHTF happens.

Tamara
12-26-2012, 09:24 PM
You enabler, you. :p