PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster Carbon-15 Gen 2, Good or Not?

cclaxton
12-24-2012, 10:48 AM
I just picked up a Bushmaster Carbon-15 .223/5.56 Rifle last weekend for a great deal.
It was used, but like new and came with mag, case, red dot, etc.

I took it to the range and put 40 rounds through it, first twenty to sight it in and the other 20 as fast as I could. I had no malfunctions and it was surprisingly accurate, and easy to reacquire the target and fast...I was shooting about 2 rounds a second.

I know this gun has a bad reputation...especially the Gen 1 version. But there also seem to be owners who are very happy with their performance.

So far, I am very happy with mine....again...no malfunctions, accurate, etc. I would like to improve the trigger on it, but other than that I am happy with it.

Does anyone else have experience here with this rifle, especially in the Gen 2 version?

Thanks;
CC

Tamara
12-24-2012, 11:41 AM
But there also seem to be owners who are very happy with their performance.

Dude, it's the internet. There are Hi-Point owners who are very happy with their performance. ;)

I just have not seen one stand up to getting the guts pounded out of it yet. (I don't know if they've remedied the problems with the threads for the receiver extension shearing off or not in the V2, but that was the long-term Achilles' heel of the originals.)

TGS
12-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Remove the BCG and see if the gas key is properly staked, instead of the usual weak-sauce staking job (or even no staking at all). If not, take it to Rob Jensen at VA Arms Co and have him stake it properly.

Ditto the staking on the receiver extension.

Odin Bravo One
12-24-2012, 12:56 PM
No secret that I wouldn't accept a Bushmaster for free.

That said, as Tam eluded to........if it is not going to get hammered, then it is likely to hold up just fine based on the firing schedule you mention in your original post. Of course, there are many things to inspect in addition to the carrier key. With those things inspected, and fixed where necessary, it can hold up to lightweight shooting and will probably perform just fine. However, it will never be in the same class as guns built with quality components, to established industry specs/standards, and assembled properly from the factory.

For those showing up to VMI-MO's range day in Jarrett, VA.....I will have the majority of tools necessary to bring sub-standard AR's up to workable assembly standards and dimensions.

BWT
12-24-2012, 01:53 PM
I own a BCM and just bought a 2nd one last week.

That's what I'd strongly recommend.

But I've also put about 4,000+ rounds through the one I own in the what... two, nearing three years of ownership?

I'd say that puts me in a small-ish percentile of shooters.

You're not going to get a strong affirmation that what you have is comparable to the top end rifles, that being said, it's workable, and it will probably do everything you expect of it.

Don't feel bad for buying it as long as you knew what you were getting into.

Enjoy the gun, and if it gives you some fits down the road, just have a practical stand point of what you bought, and set your expectations on it as such. I own a Ruger LCP, and I expect it to suck in every aspect except being reliable enough to do what it needs to and being small enough to fit in a pocket. It's the worst gun I own, by far. By. Far. But, for the 7 shots I expect of it on demand, it'll do what I need it to. So, I keep it.

Congratulations on the new gun. :D

So don't stress too much over it, if you payed at/around retail for it. Life's good.

LOKNLOD
12-24-2012, 01:58 PM
If you got a great deal on it, then it will be an excellent investment to sell at a higher price to someone later should all the panic buying continue, creating funds you can use to upgrade to something better. That's about the end of the utility I see in it beyond a plinker toy.

cclaxton
12-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Team,
Don't tell me how you really feel......

I paid $750 for it...not a scratch or ding on it. Looks like someone put a box through it and then put it back in the case.

Basic thing is it fit my price range with a red dot on it. I just want something for the occasional 3-Gun match I would attend...maybe 2 a year.

I may practice with it...once ammo comes back down in price....once every other month and put maybe 80 rounds a month through it.

My main thing is IDPA handgun, so this is really just for the occasional 3-gun my buddies talk me into.

I have an oppy to get a 9mm carbine by a buddy of mine I trust....that way I can shoot it at the ranges that don't allow high power rifle. I am thinking of selling this and getting that one. Also, cheaper ammo. Other option is 22LR M&P or something like that.

Thanks for the input.
CC

orionz06
12-24-2012, 02:33 PM
I would stop shooting it and sell it to someone for much more than you paid. I have first hand experience seeing multiples fail to do anything correctly.

TGS
12-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Team,
Don't tell me how you really feel......

I paid $750 for it...not a scratch or ding on it. Looks like someone put a box through it and then put it back in the case.

Basic thing is it fit my price range with a red dot on it. I just want something for the occasional 3-Gun match I would attend...maybe 2 a year.

I may practice with it...once ammo comes back down in price....once every other month and put maybe 80 rounds a month through it.

My main thing is IDPA handgun, so this is really just for the occasional 3-gun my buddies talk me into.

I have an oppy to get a 9mm carbine by a buddy of mine I trust....that way I can shoot it at the ranges that don't allow high power rifle. I am thinking of selling this and getting that one. Also, cheaper ammo. Other option is 22LR M&P or something like that.

Thanks for the input.
CC

What 9mm carbine? The Kel Tec SUB-2000 is actually suppose to be a decent gun for what it is......but its price as of this year has been so high that you might as well buy an AR15 or AK instead given all the advantages of an true rifle over a 9mm carbine. I can only imagine what they're selling for right now. Just for kicks I'd like to get one if they were still going for $300, though.

Oh man, the memories. Who remembers Saigas for $399?

TGS
12-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Of course, there are many things to inspect in addition to the carrier key.

Can you go over these, please? I'm only aware of the carrier key and receiver extension. The other stuff I know to check for would have been done by the manufacturer, such as HP/MP inspections, building to spec, ect....I made it easy for myself and bought a BCM, but I'm always interested in learning more.

Odin Bravo One
12-24-2012, 05:30 PM
To keep it simple......

Chamber dimensions. Bushmaster is notorious for marking barrels 556, when they are, in fact .223, and vice versa. There is a difference. If someone doubts that there is a difference, they can feel free to look at the SAAMI specs for each. They also mis-mark barrel twist as if it is their hobby.

MPI.......there is more to it than just looking for the markings. Knowing who actually made the bolt, and if they are batch tested or 100%. MilSpec calls for 100% for a reason. BM, now WW, buys from whoever.

Safety installation. Seen more than 10 (or 100, I stopped counting at 10) that did not have the detent in place.

Castlenut staking. They never have, never will. Look at Windham Weaponry, and their position is that because "many of their customers want to be able to remove/replace it easily, they elect not to stake that piece". So because one or two people will take off or replace the backplate, they use that as an excuse for laziness and substandard assembly.

Installation of barrel nuts, and fore-ends. I have personally fixed at least 5, and that was in one class.

Proper installation of the trigger mechanism. At least one per class (between 16-20 students, of which figure about 5 have BM's) is installed incorrectly.

Front sight assemblies and posts. Marked "F", but don't adjust to "F" increments.

Rear sight assemblies. Requires a chapter unto itself.

All known to be from the cheapest source, not sources who build to spec.

Basically, the rifle needs top to bottom inspection from someone who knows what they are looking for. I.e., they know what is right. Once you know what "right" looks like........it's easy to spot a Bushmaster.

cclaxton
12-24-2012, 06:55 PM
My buddy has a Rock River LAR-9 CAR A4. Carbine length, flat/rail top with a removable carry handle. With handle mounted, it looks like the A2.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=237

Includes:
- 4 30rd mags (three with Magpul pulls) Three of them will lock the bolt back on the last round, one is an UZI mag that will not.
- Soft case and original hard case
- Rear sight is part of the carry handle but also have a rear sight to use without handle.
- Rail that mounts on top of carry handle to attach a scope/red dot (and still use the iron sights underneath).
- A rail that mounts on the foregrip and a Magpul AFG1
- A Barska red dot that I could through in to sweeten the deal.

He wants less than $1000 for the whole package.

I am thinking I might be able to sell the Carbon-15 for $850-900 (maybe the market is ripe for this price?) and then get the LAR-9.

What do you think?

CC

Tamara
12-24-2012, 10:58 PM
He wants less than $1000 for the whole package.

I am thinking I might be able to sell the Carbon-15 for $850-900 (maybe the market is ripe for this price?) and then get the LAR-9.

What do you think?

Depends what you're looking for. If all you want is an AR capable of being fired at an indoor range, buy an M&P15-22 and bank the difference. I'd only get the 9 if you just absolutely wanted one as a toy gun (which desire I totally understand, as I get it from time to time myself...)