PDA

View Full Version : Kalinka Optics, or alternative?

TGS
12-23-2012, 11:57 PM
All,

So, as a few of you know I was debating since September whether to build a VEPR into a Dragunov-ish DMR for fun, or to get an AR15. Well, I went with the AR15, but a close friend of mine found my plans for the VEPR really cool and bought one yesterday from his straight-off-the-boat Ruskie local gun shop.

I had mentioned to him that I was looking at getting a Kalinka POSP, either 6x or 8x, with the SVD reticle. They're below $300, appear to be functional, robust (albeit heavy with atrocious battery life) scopes although a Vortex Diamondback is still probably a better scope.

In keeping with the whole Dragunov-esque project, would anyone recommend Kalinka, or is there another scope with an SVD reticle that you would recommend? What about the company itself in regards to warranty work and whatnot....what would buying a Kalinka product get you besides the scope?

People always ask "what do you need it to do?" Well, this is just a fun rifle project. He is not fast-roping into a Taliban compound tomorrow, nor initiating an in-extremis hostage rescue with a critical sniper shot, nor hunting bizarre and dangerous game at 600 yards in treacherous arctic terrain. The optic needs to hold a zero, not be expected to fail from shooting at the range, and have that whole Iron Curtain charm.

Comments on mounts are welcome as well.