PDA

View Full Version : 22 Conversions For AR15

JM Campbell
12-22-2012, 06:30 PM
What works and what doesn't? Trying to cut the ammo expense and the availability issue.

CMMG is one I've seen, not sure on quality or long term use. Ideally I want a M&P22 but it's not in the cards at the moment.

Thanks in advance forum members.

SeriousStudent
12-22-2012, 07:18 PM
I have one of the old Colt .22 conversion kits. It works very well. The trick is finding magazines for it. I have basically sidelined it until a decent reliable mag is on the market. I'm currently looking for some. I'll let you know what I find out after testing.

I bought a Tactical Solutions dedicated .22 upper, with Black Dog mags. It runs very well. The Smith and Wesson MP15-22 had not been released or announced when I bought it.

I have not used a CMMG kit. I'd stay away from a Ciener kit. His company combines the efficiency of the DMV with the charm of the IRS.

SLG
12-22-2012, 07:44 PM
I have both the M&P and the Tacsol conversion upper. Both are outstanding. The tacsol is a hair more accurate, but both are very accurate.

Shokr21
12-22-2012, 07:44 PM
I have a cmmg conversion for my ar15.

Maybe 2500 rounds through the conversion with nothing but shitty ammo related problems, kind of an inherent risk of 22lr ammo.

Accuracy is good at 25 and 50 meters, haven't shot past that.

I think I paid $130 for mine and picked up 3 mags for a total of 5 and grand total of about $190. It's way to cheap and fun to burn through 500 rounds with the family or wife on occassion for $20.

Tamara
12-22-2012, 08:00 PM
I used a CMMG briefly before just going with a dedicated M&P15/22.

The expense was worth it.

JM Campbell
12-22-2012, 09:30 PM

That's what I've been telling the wife.....

Thanks for the responses!

JSGlock34
12-22-2012, 09:35 PM

Agreed - I experimented with a Ceiner kit and BDM magazines, but the M&P 15-22 is the best solution. I paid $465 for mine - yes, it is more expensive than a conversion kit, but it is still relatively inexpensive. I've been very impressed with the accuracy and reliability - more so than I was with the conversion kit.

MikeyC
12-22-2012, 09:36 PM
My CMMG upper is also real finicky about ammo. It does a real good job of double feed and stove pipe drills with cheap bulk ammo. If I buy the pricier stuff like Stinger and what not the gun runs fine. I've also found that the Mags tend to be a bit of a tight fit, but if you can get passed those headaches it works. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably get the M&P 15/22 though

SecondsCount
12-22-2012, 11:13 PM
I have a CMMG kit that I run on a BCM and a Sabre 16" midlength upper. It was purchased cheap in the bargain cave (return bin) at Cabelas and figured why not give it a try. My big concern was that the person who purchased it had filed down the little tuning bumps on the magazine. I have 700ish rounds through it with very few issues, just the occasional jam that you get with shooting cheap bulk ammo- about 1 jam every 150 rounds.

My son has the M&P 15/22 and it is a very nice gun. It runs about the same as the CMMG on bulk ammo.

I like the CMMG kit better because I can throw it in my AR and be practicing with the exact same setup as the real deal. Point of aim is off by about 2" at 50 yards which isn't enough to matter for the tactical stuff that I am doing.

orionz06
12-22-2012, 11:20 PM
I have a TacSol upper. They can be finicky but once you use a rounded hammer and semi decent ammo they run like a dream. I also have a 15-22, I was convinced one was better than the other but I am mixed.

Odin Bravo One
12-22-2012, 11:27 PM
I played with two conversions, and after less than acceptable performance sold both for a loss. For less than the price of the two conversions, I could have had an M&P.

I paid under $400 for the MOE, and much less for a Real Tree Camo version for my GF's son. Shopping around can score some good deals. Though, all bets are off price wise until the morons stop buying everything in sight.

I have been extremely impressed with the reliability and performance of both S&W's. I run quality .22 ammo, so when the conversions sucked, even with premium ammo, I was quite disappointed. Wish I had the time and money I lost playing with those conversions back. They are great for training, teaching younger/newer shooters, and with a little suppressor action, I can shoot in the garage until the wee hours of the AM without disturbing the neighbors.

JM Campbell
12-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Got a line on a TB MP22 for under $500. The mags are unobtanium too it seems.

cclaxton
12-23-2012, 12:44 AM
What about the Chiappa?
Seems like you can get these for $300-400. http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/771
CC

Dave J
12-23-2012, 01:19 AM
FWIW, I started with a CMMG conversion kit, and ended up turning it into a full carbine, using leftover parts from various upgrades on other guns. It's run fine on all the Federal and Winchester bulk ammo I've tried in it so far. I wasn't completely happy with the accuracy in the initial configuration (chamber adapter in an AR barrel) but once I ditched the adapter in favor of a dedicated .22LR barrel it's done fine. I'd have no reservations about going the same route again. I don't see anything in the CMMG design that strikes me as being a problem as far as long term durability goes, either. I have no experience with the S&W 15-22, so can't compare the two, although I've heard nothing but good stuff about the S&W.

JM Campbell
12-23-2012, 01:21 AM
Found some mags....I think the wife is gonna need another Christmas present to equal this situation out....

Odin Bravo One
12-23-2012, 08:48 AM
What about the Chiappa?
Seems like you can get these for $300-400. http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/771
CC

For $350, from Chiappa you get the conversion with a fixed front sight assembly. No mention as to whether or not the fore-end is replaceable. No mention of rear sight. For setting it up exactly as even my most bare bones big boy AR, it would take a rail and rear sight to even begin, to the tune of at least $125, if I went with bare bones, dirt cheap, low rent.

For $399, I can get the S&W M&P15/22 MOE with a railed fore-end, and sights. Albeit, they are MagPul sights, but even MagPul sights are better than no sights at all. To set it up as a training replica for the same big boy carbine simply takes adding the appropriate accessories.

Can't see the Chiappa being a good deal.

rob_s
12-23-2012, 10:43 AM
We started a rimfire division when I was still running carbine matches. The reason was two-fold:
1) get more participation from those that couldn't afford the ammo
2) give me an opportunity to see other people shooting the various types of rimfire ARs so I could decide what I wanted to buy

I wound up with an M&P. I didn't record actual data for this experiment, but I don't recall seeing an aluminum .22 AR run without fail, and I don't recall seeing and M&P go down. Of course, I then bought one and it wouldn't run, but after a trip back to the factory it runs like a champ for several hundred rounds. Nothing earth-shattering, I know, but since I never saw a conversion go more than two mags without a failure I'm pretty happy with the result. I do with I'd have waited for the MOE just to get the extra sling swivel, but it's certainly not a deal breaker. I may yet SBR mine just to have a place to put my otherwise-useless .22 can.

SLG
12-23-2012, 12:26 PM
I put 970 rounds of Federal match ammo through my Tacsol conversion a few weekends ago at an appleseed. I did not clean it, and it eventually started malfunctioning, about one malfunction per full size mag. Malf's didn't start until close to the 800 round mark. Before that day, it had several hundred rounds through it, and was not cleaned after that, so really, it went over 1000 rounds before it started malfunctioning. I find them to be pretty reliable.

SeriousStudent
12-23-2012, 01:10 PM
The Federal Auto Match seems to work very well in mine, too. Just plain Federal bulk pack gets a FTE probably once every two-three mags. Not a biggie, gets me more practice on the malfunction drills.

As orion06 pointed it, the rounded hammer helps a LOT; I tracked down a older LMT one. I eventually just built a dedicated carbine, based on an old Charles Daly lower I had laying around. So it has a Aimpoint H-1, Surefire X300, VCAS, etc, etc, just like the main carbine.

I'm seriously thinking about doing what Rob said. Probably send it to Steve at ADCO, cut it down to about 8-9 inches, and put a can on it. But with the 16-inch tube, I don't have to worry about a 5330 if I want to travel to see the nephews.

I'm going to get my daughter an MP15-22 as a graduation present from boot camp. Hopefully, all the panic buying will have calmed down by then. Starting all over, I'd definitely get the Smith and Wesson.

Mitchell, Esq.
12-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Spike's Tactical .22lr bolt, black dog mags & cheap federal bulk pack ammo.

Works great.

Odin Bravo One
12-23-2012, 02:22 PM
We started a rimfire division when I was still running carbine matches. The reason was two-fold:
1) get more participation from those that couldn't afford the ammo
2) give me an opportunity to see other people shooting the various types of rimfire ARs so I could decide what I wanted to buy

I wound up with an M&P. I didn't record actual data for this experiment, but I don't recall seeing an aluminum .22 AR run without fail, and I don't recall seeing and M&P go down. Of course, I then bought one and it wouldn't run, but after a trip back to the factory it runs like a champ for several hundred rounds. Nothing earth-shattering, I know, but since I never saw a conversion go more than two mags without a failure I'm pretty happy with the result. I do with I'd have waited for the MOE just to get the extra sling swivel, but it's certainly not a deal breaker. I may yet SBR mine just to have a place to put my otherwise-useless .22 can.

Suppressed, SBR, M&P 15/22 is chock full of win and fun. Great garage training toy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/SavageHunter/Untitled-1.jpg

JConn
12-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Suppressed, SBR, M&P 15/22 is chock full of win and fun. Great garage training toy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/SavageHunter/Untitled-1.jpg

If they aren't made illegal, one of these will be mine.

JM Campbell
12-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Well that is just sexy!

Question of the day is will a 223/556 suppressor work on a 22? Didn't know so I thought I'd ask....two birds one stone thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Odin Bravo One
12-23-2012, 03:49 PM
If they aren't made illegal, one of these will be mine.

If it gets to THAT point........we have bigger problems than a .22LR that is illegal. Two sets of fingerprints, two local LE LEDS/NCIS checks, two federal LE checks, $400 in taxes paid in order to be legal. If that is not enough, then it's time to either A) Take our government back, or B) move to Mexico. At least there, having illegal guns don't mean anything.

orionz06
12-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Well that is just sexy!

Question of the day is will a 223/556 suppressor work on a 22? Didn't know so I thought I'd ask....two birds one stone thing.

Not in any volume, seems to be toxic as all hell to clean and tedious. I skipped the 5.56 can and went right to a 22 can. If the Saker isn't available for me to have a 2012 receipt I'll buy another sparrow.

Lomshek
12-23-2012, 10:27 PM
What works and what doesn't? Trying to cut the ammo expense and the availability issue.

CMMG is one I've seen, not sure on quality or long term use. Ideally I want a M&P22 but it's not in the cards at the moment.

Thanks in advance forum members.

I have both an old Ciener (15K+ rounds) and newer CMMG (5K'ish) conversions. Both worked fine after a little work on the extractors and both broke firing pins with a little dry firing (that's a no-no). Both give about 4 MOA at best in numerous Appleseed shoots.

I'd like to try a CMMG dedicated conversion with the BHO feature so I could run the forearm of my choice. I don't believe that's an option with the M&P. The M&P .22 I fired a few hundred rounds through worked fine as others referenced. Haven't really tested one for accuracy but don't doubt they'd do better than a conversion if that's important to you.

rob_s
12-24-2012, 07:31 AM
With this kit you can put almost any free-float handguard you'd want to on the S&W.

http://www.tacticool22.com/shop/free-float-hand-guard-kit-for-smith-wesson-mp1522-p-108.html

Super J
12-30-2012, 04:07 PM
I have a cmmg conversion kit that I shoot Remington golden bullets with. I'm pleased with its performance

LittleLebowski
12-30-2012, 06:50 PM
On the hunt for 15/22 mags.

Tamara
12-30-2012, 07:55 PM

I'm looking for the Golden Fleece and the One-Armed Man! ;)

LittleLebowski
12-30-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm looking for the Golden Fleece and the One-Armed Man! ;)

I can be termed a "one armed man" due to that 230gr HP .45ACP hole in my arm :D

orionz06
12-30-2012, 08:25 PM

You and me both.

JM Campbell
12-30-2012, 11:03 PM
10rd ones at 44mag.com

Tamara
01-02-2013, 11:05 AM
10rd ones at 44mag.com

I've picked up a couple of 10rd ones dirt cheap from "misc" bins at gun shows to complement my handful of 25rd mags. They're handy for practicing reloads and such.

JM Campbell
02-08-2013, 03:23 PM
OK anyone have the 411 on Mossburg 22 AR? I can get one local for $309.

Tamara
02-08-2013, 07:27 PM
OK anyone have the 411 on Mossburg 22 AR? I can get one local for $309.

It's a sucky "Plinkster" in AR drag. I would keep looking for a Smith.

JM Campbell
02-08-2013, 08:05 PM

Roger that!

Al T.
02-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Yep. Have patience. :)