PDA

View Full Version : For my fellow 1911 brothers (and sisters? Tam? Any other 1911 girls here?)

BLR
12-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Wilson Tactical Supergrade, in 10mm w/ a 40 barrel for practice. Not that ANY of my other 40 barrels have seen round 1, but whatever.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Resampled_2012-12-18_10-05-51_422_zps7581c2dc.jpg

My typical specs:

Turnbull blued
20lpi on the front strap
checkering under the trigger guard
flush cut crows
ball cuts
and so on and so forth

More on Thursday... ;)

Tamara
12-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Any other 1911 girls here?

I believe Haraise totes an EMP?

WDW
12-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Sweet! That is very nice. We def need some pics of it dirty after a long range session.

Haraise
12-18-2012, 03:55 PM
I do carry an EMP!

I'm curious what flush cut crows are, though. Crown?

I'm going to be moving to a plastic gun here, in about nine weeks....

BLR
12-18-2012, 04:25 PM
You girls are brutal.

Tamara
12-18-2012, 08:04 PM
You girls are brutal.

It ain't jewelry; it's a pistol. ;)

BLR
12-18-2012, 08:19 PM
It ain't jewelry; it's a pistol. ;)

Yeah, yeah, whatever. You're carrying a M&P and Haraise is going the plastic fantastic route now too.

So, if you two ladies will excuse me, I'm going to watch Anchorman and play with my new toy.

Tamara
12-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Yeah, yeah, whatever. You're carrying a M&P and Haraise is going the plastic fantastic route now too.

So, if you two ladies will excuse me, I'm going to watch Anchorman and play with my new toy.

We'll play dollies with Hilton Yam and Pat Rogers... :p

Haraise
12-18-2012, 08:46 PM

Sneak peak at my plastic fantastic so far:

http://i47.tinypic.com/26s79.jpg

Does this mean I can't play with Hilton Yam and Pat Rogers? :(

BLR
12-18-2012, 09:32 PM
"What? Were you saying something? Look, I don't speak spanish."

-Ron Burgandy

JAD
12-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Sneak peak at my plastic fantastic so far:

http://i47.tinypic.com/26s79.jpg

I'm neither a wide body nor wide serrations nor square trigger guard nor FCS guy.... But that's a cool looking gun. You going to do a thread on it when it's ready?

[and yes, bill, I like yours better]

Haraise
12-19-2012, 12:08 AM
I'm neither a wide body nor wide serrations nor square trigger guard nor FCS guy.... But that's a cool looking gun. You going to do a thread on it when it's ready?

[and yes, bill, I like yours better]

Yeah, I'll come up with something about it.

Right now I'm planning to get it nitrided and then NP3+ coated.

Even though I really dislike the yellowish tint of NP3+ it's still the best coating I can find. If only someone came up with something better...

JAD
12-19-2012, 12:26 AM
I had a LWC that wore np3 really well. My next refinish -- an izzy highpower -- will probably be my chance to try NP3+.

BLR
12-19-2012, 07:58 AM
I'd recommend against the FCN. Especially if you are going NP3 afterward, if you can get the plater to even do it. I would expect adhesion issues to surface in attempting that.

I'd leave it as bead blasted stainless.

FCN is at its best in a wear resistance application, like a gear. Not an impact loaded application, like a gun. Glock gets away with it because their steel is a nice buttery soft alloy.

Tamara
12-19-2012, 08:06 AM

Your backup irons fell off. :p

BLR
12-19-2012, 08:24 AM

I was going to say something, but commenting on women's fashion isn't something us guys typically come out ahead on.

NETim
12-19-2012, 08:50 AM
I was going to say something, but commenting on women's fashion isn't something us guys typically come out ahead on.

You're very wise for a bachelor. While we men may think Victoria's Secret stuff is way cool, the other side is probably shopping more at JCP.

JAD
12-19-2012, 11:20 AM
And yet the back of the slide is serrated. I think they must be pop-ups.

Tamara
12-19-2012, 01:39 PM
And yet the back of the slide is serrated. I think they must be pop-ups.

How can you tell it's custom with no serrations on the arse end of the slide? Duh. ;)

(I can't remember which custom make it was... maybe Les Baer? ...who said that the main reason his guns have FLGRs was because people expect an FLGR on a custom gun.)

That being said, if there was any place where reflections on the rear face of the slide might be annoying, it'd be on a dot-sighted pistol with a stainless slide, so there's that...

SecondsCount
12-19-2012, 01:49 PM
My wife is a 1911 gal...but she switched from 45 to 9mm this year.

How can you tell it's custom with no serrations on the arse end of the slide? Duh. ;)

(I can't remember which custom make it was... maybe Les Baer? ...who said that the main reason his guns have FLGRs was because people expect an FLGR on a custom gun.)

That being said, if there was any place where reflections on the rear face of the slide might be annoying, it'd be on a dot-sighted pistol with a stainless slide, so there's that...

I have never seen a Les Baer with a FLGR. It was probably somebody from Kimber who made that statement.

Tamara
12-19-2012, 06:24 PM
I have never seen a Les Baer with a FLGR. It was probably somebody from Kimber who made that statement.

My Concept III sure had one. So have pretty much all the non-TRS guns we stocked that I can recollect off the top of my head, but that's been a couple years...

Regardless, I wouldn't confuse Les Baer with Kimber if you gave me a frickin' lobotomy. I'm more than a little insulted, actually.

BLR
12-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Regardless, I wouldn't confuse Les Baer with Kimber if you gave me a frickin' lobotomy. I'm more than a little insulted, actually.

You're such a 1911 hippster. You're so hip, you don't even carry real steel anymore. :p

I've never had a Baer with a FLGR. I've had a couple Wilsons with them.

Tamara
12-19-2012, 06:44 PM
I've never had a Baer with a FLGR. I've had a couple Wilsons with them.

The quote may have been from Bill. It's been a few years; I've slept since then.

(Have I told you how cool it is to see all you kids these days excited about 1911s? :D )

BLR
12-19-2012, 06:58 PM
(Have I told you how cool it is to see all you kids these days excited about 1911s? :D )

Seriously, if you keep saying things like this to me, my head will explode. Really. :p

SecondsCount
12-19-2012, 07:34 PM
My Concept III sure had one. So have pretty much all the non-TRS guns we stocked that I can recollect off the top of my head, but that's been a couple years...

I should have put a wink at the end. The statement was meant to reflect my distaste for Kimber and their obsession with the FLGR, not to question your 1911 knowledge. :D

Haraise
12-19-2012, 07:39 PM
I'd recommend against the FCN. Especially if you are going NP3 afterward, if you can get the plater to even do it. I would expect adhesion issues to surface in attempting that.

I'd leave it as bead blasted stainless.

FCN is at its best in a wear resistance application, like a gear. Not an impact loaded application, like a gun. Glock gets away with it because their steel is a nice buttery soft alloy.

Oh hell, against FCN? I talked to Robar and they said that there'd be no problem with it, they'd just need to get rid of the black cover with a light bead blast and I'd still get the benefits of the hardness.

It's not stainless, that's carbon. Just not coated yet. I just had my smith hold off on sending out for coating so I could hear why you'd recommend against.

I hate how NP3+ looks. And stainless. I really wish I could get something like NP3+ in a black.

And more joking after!

I said /so far/ jeez.

BLR
12-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Cerakote over electroless nickel.

A question, what is it that you are looking for? Something black? Something that wears well? Something that cleans up easily? Do you have corrosion worries? FCN + NP3 = $500 in coatings. You can blacken EN easily. It will wear like bluing though.

Haraise
12-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Cerakote over electroless nickel.

A question, what is it that you are looking for? Something black? Something that wears well? Something that cleans up easily? Do you have corrosion worries? FCN + NP3 = $500 in coatings. You can blacken EN easily. It will wear like bluing though.

Corrosion and self lubrication. I'm really hip on the idea of being able to run a gun mostly dry. Reliability first, durability of the gun long term. Those two. I'd like aesthetics to be in there, but then I'd go Black T or polished Ionbond. Instead I get a slightly queasy silver (ugh, silver).

I'm aware it's a lot of money, but I don't settle when I buy things. Especially long term 'investments.'

BLR
12-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Corrosion and self lubrication. I'm really hip on the idea of being able to run a gun mostly dry. Reliability first, durability of the gun long term. Those two. I'd like aesthetics to be in there, but then I'd go Black T or polished Ionbond. Instead I get a slightly queasy silver (ugh, silver).

I'm aware it's a lot of money, but I don't settle when I buy things. Especially long term 'investments.'

Mostly dry is a bad thing. Very bad.

Haraise
12-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Mostly dry is a bad thing. Very bad.

Self lubrication is the whole point of NP3, Robar had said it only needs one drop of lube and leave the rest dry. :confused:

JAD
12-19-2012, 08:06 PM
That is valid in my experience. However, that's also valid for the rest of my 1911s regardless of finish -- my box-stock 1983 GM (sans collet bushing) chirps along fine.

NP3 is a dream to clean and corrosion proof to my experience -- which is awesome. Like you I don't like silver guns. Therefore you should just Cerakote it and drive on.

BLR
12-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Discussing particular brands is thin ice for me, especially since my name is plastered right there.

PM sent.

Talking to generic self lubricating coatings: they are self lubricating because there is lubricant built into the coating. As the coating wears, you expose more lubricant. This can vary, depending on the type of coating/additive, from PTFE to nanophase boron nitride or carbid, to MoS2. If we assume it's PTFE, then as the PTFE wipes away, say as the slide reciprocates, then the coating wears a little more to expose fresh PTFE. See the problem? If you are in a desert and don't want to oil up for fear of creating a nice lapping compound, cool. But you likely wont go through an occasional mag full of ammo. If you are going to actually shoot the gun, you'll quickly wear through the 25-50um coating (say, a few thousand rounds).

So yeah, it's self lubricating, right up to the point the coating is gone.

500 rounds a year? No problem. 500 a week? You'll see a problem. You can practice with it greased, and carry it dry if you like. Or you can burnish PTFE into the coating frequently.

Or, and this is just a suggestion, you can put down an electroless nickel coating (minus the PTFE), dip it in a specific silane, then coat it with something like Cerakote. Now it's black, totally protected against corrosion, very wear resistant, and only needs regular lubrication.

Haraise
12-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Thank you, PM replied to via email. Will stop hijacking your thread, do apologize.

Tamara
12-19-2012, 08:41 PM
I should have put a wink at the end. The statement was meant to reflect my distaste for Kimber and their obsession with the FLGR, not to question your 1911 knowledge. :D

Just so you weren't accusing me of saying nice things about Kimber. :p

Dagga Boy
12-19-2012, 10:33 PM
We'll play dollies with Hilton Yam and Pat Rogers... :p

Well being they are both about the size of a Barbie, that would be about right...............:cool:.

On a side note.......I really like NP3, and I especially like "Norton Specials" with all NP3 and then black Roguard on the slide.

Odin Bravo One
12-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Well being they are both about the size of a Barbie, that would be about right...............:cool:.

On a side note.......I really like NP3, and I especially like "Norton Specials" with all NP3 and then black Roguard on the slide.

Like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/SavageHunter/14c07d57.jpg

Dagga Boy
12-20-2012, 12:14 AM
If I was allowed to post pictures.............yep, just like yours "Big Pimpin".:cool: You were MARS'in before MARS was cool....;)

jetfire
12-20-2012, 08:01 PM

I like to keep 'em simple. The left gun has since had matching grips added to it, but a slightly smaller magwell.

Corvus
12-27-2012, 12:24 AM
I have been exploiting recent market conditions to sell off 15 round plastic guns and buy real steel. The latest tracking number says I can pick up another 5 inch 1911 at my local shop tomorrow. :cool: