PDA

View Full Version : Picked Up Something Cool Today

WDW
12-17-2012, 05:40 PM
I am always trading, buying, & selling stuff. Be it guns, knives, coins, whatever! Well, today, I was at a friends house that I do a lot of trading with & he gave me 2 paintings done by the wife of the man that killed the beloved Martin Luther King Jr.....the infamous James Earl Ray. Her name is Anna Sandhu Ray & her life story is quite interesting. My friend actually knows her quite well, long story short, Mrs. Ray is the typical starving artist & years of bad choices (please hold the jokes) have left her destitute, even though some of her paintings sell for 5 to 6 figures or more. My friend has been very charitable to her and actually met her by pure chance. To repay his kindness, she has been "paying" him in paintings & he literally has dozens of them now. Anyway, I just thought these were too cool & maybe they will be worth something some day.

Zhurdan
12-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Interesting.

Curious though, is she (semi)famous because of her painting or because she's the wife of James Earl Ray? I'd never heard of her up to this point, but if she's been getting 5-6k for a painting, I'd call that a bit more than a starving artists wage. I have a friend who paints her little butt off, sells paintings in the $400-600 range and eats quite well. Her stuffs pretty good, but it's not anything you'd put over a mantle to impress a lady or anything. ;)

WDW
12-17-2012, 06:01 PM
It is a LONG story. Lets just say due to her legal troubles, she profits very little. Her attorneys own most of the rights to her work. She is a classicly trained artist, but yes, her fame stems from her associations with Mr. Ray.