PDA

View Full Version : Coyote 101 -- aka Advance Practical Carbine training

GJM
12-14-2012, 10:39 AM
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/killing-coyotes-101-daytime-and-night-hunting-problem-coyotes/

Very interesting article on hunting coyotes, and it sounds like coyote hunting can be challenging, advanced carbine training. Here is a snippet:

By far the biggest challenge to successful coyote hunting is that most hunters are not self trained to take snap shots. At Dwayne Powell’s Kissimee River Hunt & Fish he is hunting over 8,000 acres of private cattle farm on an exclusive hunting lease. Surrounding the ranch is 30,000 acres of public land, and another tens of thousands of acres of other private cattle ranches, many of them hunted only by the ranchers and their families. That means a constant influx of coyotes, but you would think that with all the hunters coming and going, it would be easy to keep up with them. It isn’t, because very simply, most hunting clients either fail to take the shot, or miss when they finally got around to shooting. It is extremely disappointing, and it is why we can’t stress enough that if you plan to coyote hunt, especially during daylight hours, you had better tune up your snap shooting skills, and make sure that you know exactly where your point of impact is at 30-100 yards.
__

Chuck Haggard
12-14-2012, 08:11 PM
People think deer are tough to hunt because they have a good sense of smell, and turkeys because they have such good eyesight.

Coyotes have both, and they are rather small and fast. I've been hunting them off and on since high school. They are very challenging.

LittleLebowski
12-15-2012, 09:29 AM
People think deer are tough to hunt because they have a good sense of smell, and turkeys because they have such good eyesight.

Coyotes have both, and they are rather small and fast. I've been hunting them off and on since high school. They are very challenging.

Yup. Miss a coyote and he will never forget it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

BLR
12-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Yup. Miss a coyote and he will never forget it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Coyote is the ultimate NA hunting. Period. Maybe not the glamor trophy as elk or grizzlies, though.

GJM
12-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Coyote is the ultimate NA hunting. Period. Maybe not the glamor trophy as elk or grizzlies, though.

Not to detract from coyote hunting, but Alaska folks might beg to differ -- brown bear, sheep, moose, wolves are all pretty special!

BLR
12-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Not to detract from coyote hunting, but Alaska folks might beg to differ -- brown bear, sheep, moose, wolves are all pretty special!

As opposed to the discussions dominating the forum currently, this I can get into.

Coyotes, like bears and wolves, are predators. And have the eye sight, hearing, and sense of smell to go with. They also look at us people with considerably more trepidation than the others. At least in my experience.

Kodiak is my holy grail hunt, but I live to coyote hunt. Maybe that's because I can hunt on my farm. Whatever, it's a helluva lot of fun.

GJM
12-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Frankly, all hunting is great fun! When I was leopard hunting in Zimbabwe, my PH told me a funny story. His clients shot a big leopard, that approached them in the blind, creating lots of drama. His clients were overjoyed, and then turned to the PH and said, "wow, that was almost as exciting as turkey hunting."