PDA

View Full Version : LCR question

breakingtime91
12-13-2012, 11:52 PM
I own a 357 LCR and took it out to the range and fired 100 standard pressed 38s and had 2-3 lock ups. If I remember correctly all of them happened during strong hand only rapid fire and due to me not fully letting the trigger out. I am just curious if this is a common trait of the LCR or if my gun is somehow messed up already? I know revolvers usually will skip a round if short stroked but this LCR straight up gets locked up(trigger won't budge) and can be easily remedied by opening the cylinder back up and closing it.

ford.304
12-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Smiths will skip a cylinder if short stroked. Rugers will not. It isn't 'locked' per se, you just need to release the trigger all of the way. People are often confused because there is a noticeable 'click' in the Ruger trigger return that is definitely *not* the actual reset point, but sounds like it might be.

Up1911Fan
12-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Smiths will skip a cylinder if short stroked. Rugers will not. It isn't 'locked' per se, you just need to release the trigger all of the way. People are often confused because there is a noticeable 'click' in the Ruger trigger return that is definitely *not* the actual reset point, but sounds like it might be.

This, Ruger's are easier to short stroke due to the false click you hear.

breakingtime91
12-14-2012, 11:55 AM
I think I did try to fully let it out again but it was still bound up, maybe a round jumped and locked it up(two of the lock ups happened within the same cylinder)? I'm putting another 150 through it on Saturday or Sunday so I'll see how it goes and check back in.

Side note: I was shooting the ranges reloads(only real option where I have to shoot at) so a bad round locking up the movement of the cylinder is possible. I'm kind of thinking this because openin the cylinder and closing it would enable me to fire again. whatcha think?

ford.304
12-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Ok, that sounds like it might be more concerning.

I've had my GP100 lock up on me under three circumstances:

1) Raised primer in the cartridge. This will interfere with the movement of the cylinder. It's pretty visually obvious looking at the cartridge - the primer is sticking up far beyond where it should. This doesn't line up with being able to open and close the cylinder to fix it, though - it made it really hard to even open the cylinder.

2) Incorrectly sized cases (note how both of these were caused by bad handloads). The cases had a very slight bulk at the base due to an incorrect set up seating die. This made them difficult to chamber initially, and if they were not seated entirely into the cylinder, they would again interfere with the back of the gun and make the cylinder fail to rotate.

3) Grit stuck in the action. I locked up the gun pretty bad after apparently doing a poor job of making sure my work space was clear of sanding grit when I detail stripped the gun. A bit of *something* got stuck in the action, and would randomly make the trigger pull feel like a thousand pounds. Opening the cylinder or going to a different chamber would fix it. This is solved (I didn't know what it was at the time, thought I'd broken by gun) by a gunsmith giving it a detail strip and ultrasonic cleaning.

That's all I got for you. Does the gun work fine under extended dry fire? If so then it's probably something weird with the range ammo. I've never heard of a range requiring that you use their *handloads*. I can imagine a lot of people having issues with that.

breakingtime91
12-14-2012, 12:28 PM
The gun has never locked up like that while dry firing. I did quite a bit after the range visit and nothin out of the ordinary happened.

Tamara
12-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Side note: I was shooting the ranges reloads(only real option where I have to shoot at) so a bad round locking up the movement of the cylinder is possible. I'm kind of thinking this because openin the cylinder and closing it would enable me to fire again. whatcha think?

The only way I can think that bad reloads would lock up the cylinder would be if the bullet jumped crimp and tied everything up at the forcing cone, which is kinda noticeable, what with the loose gunpowder pouring everywhere and all... ;)

breakingtime91
12-15-2012, 12:02 AM
well I got another 100 through the LCR tonight and no bind ups. also dry fired it over a hundred times between drills and not a hitch. Awesome shooting gun, just need to learn I can't run it like my glock. Shooting another 100 this sunday, will post the results

FotoTomas
12-23-2012, 05:29 AM
The only way I can think that bad reloads would lock up the cylinder would be if the bullet jumped crimp and tied everything up at the forcing cone, which is kinda noticeable, what with the loose gunpowder pouring everywhere and all... ;)

During a police academy where the revolver was the goto gun in 1981 and the school used the .38 Wadcutter as reloaded in bulk for training I have had bullets jump the crimp and not pull completely out of the case but far enough to bind the action. I also had one that was so loose the recoil sent the bullet out the cylinder and the resulting trigger pull was just a pop with LOTS of flash. :) I also have had some of those reloads that would lock up the revolver with primer blowback or primer ruptures not to mention the occasional high primer that you notice after you close the revolver.

I was so glad to get out of that academy but I did bring home the class marksmanship trophy!

Tamara
12-23-2012, 07:15 AM
During a police academy where the revolver was the goto gun in 1981 and the school used the .38 Wadcutter as reloaded in bulk for training I have had bullets jump the crimp and not pull completely out of the case but far enough to bind the action.

I had never before considered the possibility of reloads so shoddy that the titanic recoil of target loads could cause those long 148gr HBWC's to jump crimp. :eek:

FotoTomas
12-31-2012, 06:19 PM
I had never before considered the possibility of reloads so shoddy that the titanic recoil of target loads could cause those long 148gr HBWC's to jump crimp. :eek:

Generally those rounds were in split cases that made it through the system. Back then we received our ammo in large plastic buckets and we had to inspect the ammo as we loaded to insure no bent brass, reversed or missing primers or crushed cases. In addition we had to be worried about the occasional squib that would get a bullet into the forcing cone and no further or leave a bullet in the barrel. This was Georgia and the budgets for ammo were next to nothing. It is a reminder of how far we have come in the LE field. Today I qualify quarterly with the issue 9mm 124 grain Golden Saber JHP and all the other training ball ammo is factory fresh.

The department I worked for back in the early 80's had NO training program at all. We were allowed to attend the monthly four hour training the regional academies did at various departments but not on the clock. The only firearms training those few years was at the academy. I paid for my own ammo and did my own shooting just to keep up to speed. Got into reloading big time then with a STAR progressive machine. MY ammo was much better than the stuff issued at the regional academy. :)