PDA

View Full Version : Interesting dashcam video

TCinVA
12-13-2012, 09:45 PM
http://www.policemag.com/videos/channel/patrol/2012/12/graphic-calif-police-shooting.aspx

Things worth noting:

- When an officer says "I will shoot you" it's probably best to believe him.
- On the capacity front, note how fast the officer went through almost an entire magazine on just one dude armed with a knife. One dude who you believe is intent on killing you is plenty of motivation to fire a lot of bullets.
- It appears to me the officer may have touched off a round when he was keying his radio button. If so, that's a bang-up example of sympathetic response.
- Note how the officer fixated on the bad guy and tracked him while continuing to fire. Not at all uncommon.

Shellback
12-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Video doesn't show up on iPad. :(

JM Campbell
12-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Video doesn't show up on iPad. :(

or my laptop...red x

TCinVA
12-13-2012, 10:14 PM
http://www.news10.net/video/default.aspx?bctid=2032038693001

Another video, longer with more of the post-fireworks.

The officer who fired at least 12 shots by my count says he fired "maybe 6".

Shellback
12-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Sounds like officer already knew dead dude since he was calling him "Ernie" when he was exiting his car and caption lists his name as Ernest Duenez Jr.

And after reading a bit more old Ernie had 7 felony priors and was wanted at the time he got free air-conditioning, not a good dude.

LittleLebowski
12-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Absolutely legit. I could see him trying to draw something as he exited the vehicle.

VolGrad
12-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Absolutely legit. I could see him trying to draw something as he exited the vehicle.

Hard to tell exactly what was going on from the angle of the camera but given what I saw (and especially knowing the officer was familiar with the guy's felony record) I definitely understand why the LEO opened fire. It really did look to me in the split second I saw it as if the perp was attempting to draw a weapon from his right pocket or right side waist band.

Keep in mind when you watch the vid .... make the judgement call on good/bad from the LEO's eyes ... you only get to watch it once.

LittleLebowski
12-14-2012, 07:41 AM
I can't fault the officer.

KeeFus
12-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Good Shoot. The Felon shoulda listened but instead chose to bring a knife out, which has been described in other news stories as a throwing knife.

ToddG
12-14-2012, 08:32 AM
... and a great example of why it's important to be able to put multiple hits rapidly on a target under stress. The BG didn't drop like a stone on the first shot. By my count, the officer fired at least five rounds before Ernie decided to take cover behind the grass. It took a couple more before Ernie actually made his way down there.

According to my stopwatch, it was about 1.5s between the first shot and when Ernie was down. Works out to just about one shot every quarter second. Hey, where have I heard that before? :cool:

YammyMonkey
12-14-2012, 04:13 PM
... and a great example of why it's important to be able to put multiple hits rapidly on a target under stress. The BG didn't drop like a stone on the first shot. By my count, the officer fired at least five rounds before Ernie decided to take cover behind the grass. It took a couple more before Ernie actually made his way down there.

According to my stopwatch, it was about 1.5s between the first shot and when Ernie was down. Works out to just about one shot every quarter second. Hey, where have I heard that before? :cool:

Surgical Speed Shooting? :cool:

ToddG
12-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Surgical Speed Shooting? :cool:

I was thinking more along the lines of being able to aim fast and hit fast, but sure, I suppose. :cool:

(for those who don't know, Surgical Speed Shooting is both a class and a book by instructor Andy Stanford; I've never taken the class but the book is quite good)

JodyH
12-14-2012, 05:52 PM
The class is pretty good as well.

CCT125US
12-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Works out to just about one shot every quarter second. Hey, where have I heard that before? :cool:

Just sumdood on the internets....