PDA

View Full Version : New to the site, Applying for pistol permit.

sbickmeyer
12-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Hey, just joined the site. Finishing up the application for my pistol permit (need photo's and the cash) and am doing extensive research on what I want to buy as my first handgun.

I've been looking at the Walther PPK/S, Beretta 92FS, and Czech CZ-75. Keeping an open mind in what I'm looking at, but don't want anything too big. Probably trying to stay with a 9mm or .380 caliber. My dad has a Bersa Thunder 380 (PPK copy) and it feels good in my hand, and I can aim it better than I do his Ruger 380LCP. I just don't want the Bersa because I don't the same exact gun as him, I'm weird like that.

I have a friend with the Walther PPK and he has no complaints about it. Heard the Sig Saur232 is nice as well. Going to keep up the research. I'm looking for a lot of input :)

Joe in PNG
12-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Let me be the first to welcome you, and wish you good luck.
The first thing you will need is to go to a good training class.
Second, stick with a good 9mm- S&W, Glock, H&K are the standard makes given out by people who shoot a whole lot.
Third, shoot a whole lot, but in a disciplined way.

Le Français
12-12-2012, 06:26 PM
I also suggest that you place training high on your list of priorities. Taking a class or three with good instructors will help you develop the skills necessary for the safe and skillful operation of your handgun. It will also give you ideas about how to meaningfully and efficiently practice on the range, as opposed to simply turning money into noise.

As for the hardware side of the equation, I counsel against a PPK or Sig 232. These handguns are large and heavy for what they offer in terms of capacity and power.

A Glock 19 tends to be the default suggestion, and for good reason. It is reliable, simple, relatively inexpensive, accurate, concealable, and has enormous aftermarket support in terms of mags, holsters, sights, etc.

tremiles
12-12-2012, 06:27 PM
The Bersa, Walther PPK, and Sig are vastly different pistols in size and weight to the Beretta and CZ75. I suggest renting a Glock 17/19, a S&W M&P 9, Walther PPQ and taking a class. The Bersa, PPK, and 232 are not suitable SD pistols. They have poor sights, stiffer recoil in marginally effective and expensive .380 than modern poly pistols have in 9mm with much better terminal performance. Overall total cost of ownership of Glock/S&W M&P is low when you consider accessories/mags/holsters because of their wide acceptance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

NETim
12-12-2012, 08:45 PM
You're getting very good advice in the previous posts. Take it to heart.

WDW
12-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Stick to 9mm in Glock, M&P, HK, Sig, Walther, & the Beretta 92 series. Please, please forget all those other choices. Please also remember carrying a handgun for defensive purposes is a very serious commitment & should be approached with the right attitude, including a desire to learn & be trained by knowledgeable professionals. Good luck.

Suvorov
12-12-2012, 11:53 PM
What do you want the pistol for? :confused:

That will have a lot of bearing on what you should buy. If self defense is not a primary concern, then you will be much better served with a good .22LR pistol like the Ruger MkIII.

If you are looking for a self defense gun, the Beretta and the CZ are good choices, but there are a lot of other potentially better options out there.

Unless you are intent on concealed carry and emulating James Bond, then forget the Walther. And if you are wanting a small pistol there are decades of improvements over the PPK.

All of the other advice is spot on, especially about getting quality and professional training - if you can get training before you make your purchase, you are more likely going to have a much better idea of what you are putting your money down for.

Alaskapopo
12-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Hey, just joined the site. Finishing up the application for my pistol permit (need photo's and the cash) and am doing extensive research on what I want to buy as my first handgun.

I've been looking at the Walther PPK/S, Beretta 92FS, and Czech CZ-75. Keeping an open mind in what I'm looking at, but don't want anything too big. Probably trying to stay with a 9mm or .380 caliber. My dad has a Bersa Thunder 380 (PPK copy) and it feels good in my hand, and I can aim it better than I do his Ruger 380LCP. I just don't want the Bersa because I don't the same exact gun as him, I'm weird like that.

I have a friend with the Walther PPK and he has no complaints about it. Heard the Sig Saur232 is nice as well. Going to keep up the research. I'm looking for a lot of input :)

I too recommend a .22 pistol as your first gun if self defense is not the reason for the gun.
pat

peterb
12-13-2012, 09:15 AM
One consideration is that 9mm ammunition is almost always less expensive than .380 -- or other common centerfire calibers -- which means you can shoot more for the same money.

JonInWA
12-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Another advantage that a Browning action (Glock, HK, SIG) or drop-lock (Beretta 92) has over a blow-back .380 is (in addition to lower ammunition costs, paradoxical as it may seem) significantly reduced recoil. In a blow-back pistol, pretty much all the recoil forces are directed into your palm; with a Browning or drop-lock gun, the forces are significantly reduced due to the unlocking and locking process, using gas pressures in a recoil-reducing fashion before the remainder of the force is directed into your palm.

Additionally. I think that you'll find that most .380 pistols are both more finicky and less durable than a 9mm Glock, HK, Beretta or S&W M&P.

While my personal preferences have been (after much experience, trial/error, research and expense) directed towards (and are currently with) Glock, I also have a Beretta 92D and a Ruger P89 which have been suerb performers, among others. Since for all practical purposes both the 92D and P89 are unavailable due to discontinuation several years ago, my personal recommendation based specifically on the bulk of my experience would be to go with (or seriously try out) the Glock 9mm and Beretta 92 series 9mm pistols.

Based on the experiences of those that I know and trust, I'd also recommend HK, particularly the HK P30/P30L.

And, as others have said, a good .22 is always a great gun to have and practice with. While I have several, my personal favorite .22 is a Ruger 4.5" barrelled 22/45 Mk III-a 4 to 5 inch .22 offers a great "analog" practice gun fot your larger-calibered (and more expensive to shoot) pistols. For what it's worth, I sold my SIG-Sauer P225 to finance my 22/45; the SIG had only been shot once in 3 years, and was basically sitting unused in my vault; conversely, the 22/45 has been shot pretty extensively since I've owned it-probably more than the SIG has been in the past 10 years...

Best, Jon

Driften
12-13-2012, 06:21 PM
A blowback 380 can be harder to shoot with more recoil then a 9mm so its best to avoid them for now.

It seems like you are interested in small guns (PPK etc). There are many 9mm's that are in the same size and weight factor. The Walther PPS, S&W Shield, Glock 26, Kahr, etc. You can conceal and carry a full size gun like a Glock 17, Beretta 92, Sig P226 and they will be easier to shoot and learn on then the smaller guns. The problem with a full size gun is that its more likely to be left at home. A good in-between would be something like a Glock 19.

If you really feel you need a PPK sized gun look at the Walther PPS or S&W Shield 9mm

sbickmeyer
12-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice :) I'll look into Glocks a little bit more along with some of the other recommendations. A safety course is mandated by the application process in my county, and I will learn all I can from my dad who has owned handguns for years, as well as from my friend who has two pistols. :)

My friend said he would take me to the firing range with him to let me try his PPK and 1911. Perhaps they have guns there to rent?

Anyway, my main purpose in owning a handguns for self defense and learning and practice. Is going to be a while before I can the restrictions on my permit lifted where I will carry it around everywhere. At first it's just to keep at home and take to the firing range. Until I can get a restriction-free permit I'm not worried about ease of concealment, so size isn't an issue.

Driften
12-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice :) I'll look into Glocks a little bit more along with some of the other recommendations. A safety course is mandated by the application process in my county, and I will learn all I can from my dad who has owned handguns for years, as well as from my friend who has two pistols. :)

If they require an external safety Glock and many other newer pistols would not qualify. There are still lots of options!

Dave J
12-13-2012, 11:12 PM
You didn't mention where you're located, but if you check around, you might find an introductory training class where they provide a variety of firearms for familiarization. I know of several instructors who do this. It'd give you a chance to make a more informed decision on exactly what you want, before you commit.

A rental range might also be a worthwhile option, before you make a final decision.

ford.304
12-14-2012, 08:08 AM

My friend said he would take me to the firing range with him to let me try his PPK and 1911. Perhaps they have guns there to rent?

Anyway, my main purpose in owning a handguns for self defense and learning and practice. Is going to be a while before I can the restrictions on my permit lifted where I will carry it around everywhere. At first it's just to keep at home and take to the firing range. Until I can get a restriction-free permit I'm not worried about ease of concealment, so size isn't an issue.

I've been the 'friend with two pistols' to a lot of people. And it's *awesome* to get help and guidance from a friend ( as well as having someone to go to the range to practice and hang out with). But I still highly recommend getting some training beyond the required CCW class.

Most of those classes will go over the parts of the gun, types of guns, and how to clean it. They will go over basic safety, and probably have a very useful section on the legalities of use of force. Most of them, however, have very limited range time, and will only give you the most basic familiarization with how to actually shoot your firearm.

Get a proven, but relatively inexpensive gun, preferably in 9mm (people have given you good recommendations there - used guns are usually a great buy). Plan on spending a few hundred again on a holster, spare magazines, and a good belt. (Look at blade-tech's injection molded holsters for something that is both good and cheap). Buy a big ol' box of ammo on the internet. And find a good local training class over a saturday or full weekend in addition to your CCW class to get you started on good habits instead of bad ones.

PiratePast40
12-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Many of the smaller guns aren't as much fun to shoot because of recoil and aren't as accurate because of the short barrel. If the gun isn't comfortable at the range, you simply won't like shooting it and won't be inclined to practice as you should. If you're looking for a gun that is capable of CC and also fun and accurate, might want to consider the Ruger SR9c. It's relatively inexpensive, dependable, and accurate right out of the box. Ruger quality is high and the SR9c retains it's resale value if you ever decide to sell it. And if it matters, Ruger is made in the USA.