PDA

View Full Version : Modern Krink

223AI
12-09-2012, 09:42 AM
I had these built this year:

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv208/JLPipes/Untitled.jpg

They're great, but I am interested in adding a light and a t-1...in other words, making them more practical. I know that it kills purists, but I don't really care what other people think. Does anyone have any experience with Midwest Industries optic specific rail systems for krinks? These are Tula kits, and the MI systems say that they are made for Bulgarian kits...same dimensions?

Thanks in advance!

Tamara
12-09-2012, 09:59 AM
They're great, but I am interested in adding a light and a t-1...in other words, making them more practical. I know that it kills purists, but I don't really care what other people think.

Like "Glock collector", "AK purist" in one of those concepts that just does not compute for me... :D

Cool guns! Have you talked to Lyle at Ultimak?

WDW
12-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Like "Glock collector", "AK purist" in one of those concepts that just does not compute for me... :D

You mean you wouldn't pay $700 for an early G22 marked .40 SW instead of just .40?:) I seriously saw a guy asking that for an early G22 w/that marking.

223AI
12-09-2012, 10:10 AM

No ma'am, not yet. I'll call tomorrow, thanks for the tip!

Zhurdan
12-09-2012, 10:57 AM
I've got a Stormwerks rail on my Krink. Works great.

GJM
12-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Those look beautiful, let's hear the details on the caliber, builder, etc. I was in an AK stage for a while and have Arsenal and Krebbs AK's in 7.62x39. I really wanted to get an Arsenal Krink in 7.62x39, but couldn't find one. I almost bought a Krebs but it wasn't in 7.62x39 and I didn't want another caliber.

I planned to put the Ultimak rail on my Krink for a T1 and light.

Here is what I ended up doing as my modern Krink, an AAC .300 BLK on my 6933 lower:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/AAC.jpg

223AI
12-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks! They are Tula kits from R-guns, Blue jack barrels of the appropriate twist, and Troy at InRange did all of the work. They're in 5.45x39, and I love that round for a multitude of reasons...with the biggest factor being that ammo is STUPID cheap. I'm a pretty simple guy, and I like the fact that AK's are easy to use and operate.

Jay Cunningham
12-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Do they have optics mounting rails on the left side?

223AI
12-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Do they have optics mounting rails on the left side?

No sir, they do not, unfortunately.

I'm still working on a solution, but have since turned to finding more mags for my krinks...not an ideal market for 5.45 ak mags, as it turns out!

Zhurdan
12-17-2012, 08:36 PM

I'm still working on a solution, but have since turned to finding more mags for my krinks...not an ideal market for 5.45 ak mags, as it turns out!

In stock, I've bought from them several times, and not too bad a price....

http://whatacountry.com/ak-74magazineandpouchset.aspx

LHS
12-17-2012, 09:07 PM
In stock, I've bought from them several times, and not too bad a price....

http://whatacountry.com/ak-74magazineandpouchset.aspx

Holy crap, I had no idea 5.45mm mags had gone up so far. Now I feel stupid for not stocking up on a few dozen when they were under $10 each (ironically enough, DURING the AW ban...)

Tamara
12-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Holy crap, I had no idea 5.45mm mags had gone up so far. Now I feel stupid for not stocking up on a few dozen when they were under $10 each (ironically enough, DURING the AW ban...)

Time makes fools of us all. ;)

Zhurdan
12-17-2012, 09:51 PM

Ohhh, they can be found cheaper, but usually only onesies, twosies. These are at least gonna be E. German good bakelites and they're usually in stock. I bought a bunch years ago in anticipation of finally getting a Krink built so I've got about 40 at ~$15-18 and another 20 or so at those prices. Now, you wanna talk spendy, start buying 45 round Circle 10's! Yikes!

LHS
12-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Ohhh, they can be found cheaper, but usually only onesies, twosies. These are at least gonna be E. German good bakelites and they're usually in stock. I bought a bunch years ago in anticipation of finally getting a Krink built so I've got about 40 at ~$15-18 and another 20 or so at those prices. Now, you wanna talk spendy, start buying 45 round Circle 10's! Yikes!

Have you seen Russian 8-round VEPR-12 mags lately? $100 each. In light of the panic already headed down the road, I grabbed 5 of the new SGM 12-rounders @ $45 each. I would have preferred the 10-rounders, as I think the 12s are just a little too unwieldy, but at this point I had to take what I could get.

I saw a few deals on AK74 mags, but they were all out of stock when I tried to order. 20-round Hungarian 7.62 AK mags are also getting stupid expensive. Glad I bought some 40-round Romy mags the last time they had them on sale.

Zhurdan
12-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Have you seen Russian 8-round VEPR-12 mags lately? $100 each. In light of the panic already headed down the road, I grabbed 5 of the new SGM 12-rounders @ $45 each. I would have preferred the 10-rounders, as I think the 12s are just a little too unwieldy, but at this point I had to take what I could get.

I saw a few deals on AK74 mags, but they were all out of stock when I tried to order. 20-round Hungarian 7.62 AK mags are also getting stupid expensive. Glad I bought some 40-round Romy mags the last time they had them on sale.

Romy's for $14? If it was the same deal (I think APEX) I bought 6! They run well once you clean all the cosmoline out of them. hehe. That's the next project, SBRing the Arsenal 107u. No shotgun (ak) yet. May not even bother with prices like that.

I'll let you know if I come across a hot buy. ;)

LHS
12-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Romy's for $14? If it was the same deal (I think APEX) I bought 6! They run well once you clean all the cosmoline out of them. hehe. That's the next project, SBRing the Arsenal 107u. No shotgun (ak) yet. May not even bother with prices like that.

I'll let you know if I come across a hot buy. ;)

Palmetto State had a holiday sale with the Romy 40s for $15 each, so I ordered 10. Got some GSG-1911 mags as well, and with the VEPR mags on the way, that should put me in a semi-comfortable spot for the reasonable future. Would I like some more Beretta mags? Yep. And more AR mags. And more AK74 mags. But so far I should have a reasonable minimum for the future in case they do go for a ban. At least I won't be hosed like I was with the 94 ban, which was imposed when I was all of 13 years old. I think I had one beat-up old surplus GI AR mag, and maybe one Beretta mag, and a handful of surplus AK74 mags until the ban expired and I was able to stock up. I won't get caught up in that again.

Oh, and the VEPR is a ton of fun. Pending some more reliability testing, it may even eclipse my beloved 870 as my primary shotgun. I may even (gasp) Krink it out :) There, I brought the discussion back to the topic of the post :)

Jay Cunningham
12-19-2012, 12:05 PM

I recommend an UltiMak and an Aimpoint T-1.