PDA

View Full Version : The "adventure race" craze

MDS
12-08-2012, 09:15 PM
So I've been interested in these adventure races for some time - Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, etc. They seem like a much more fun excuse to get in shape than a straight 5K or 10K race...plus I'm thinking my knees would get a break since it's not just about pounding pavement the whole time. I finally signed up for one from the GoRuck people: the GoRuck Challenge (https://www.goruckchallenge.com/Events/Challenge).

Wondering what you all think about these events in general, and the GoRuck Challenge in particular...?

orionz06
12-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Tom Fineis has done one for sure and shadowed for photos on another and spoke highly of it. The GoRuck seems to be the one that stands above the rest in that it is not a Facebook integrated walk with mud. The whole craze seems to be the evolution of mixing social media with everything. Provide a chance to have people get their picture taken, take a slightly more than nominal fee, sell a shirt, and boom! Profit.

joshs
12-08-2012, 10:01 PM
The only "adventure race" I've done is the Megatransect (https://ultrahike.com/About_the_Mega.php). It's less adventure and more race, so I can't comment on how the more mud-based races work. I'm thinking of trying Go Ruck next year as well.

secondstoryguy
12-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Personally I have mixed feelings about them. I've been to a few and it seems like everyone is just there to get Facebook worthy pics. I guess it's good that it motivates people to get off the couch and PT a little. Being former military, I do find it funny that people are paying other people lots of money to get surf tortured, beatdown, and dirty.

JHC
12-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Personally I have mixed feelings about them. I've been to a few and it seems like everyone is just there to get Facebook worthy pics. I guess it's good that it motivates people to get off the couch and PT a little. Being former military, I do find it funny that people are paying other people lots of money to get surf tortured, beatdown, and dirty.

I think part of it is the society's adulation of these rugged aspects of some mil training that attracts folks; attracts them for different reasons.

Tamara
12-09-2012, 08:12 AM
I think part of it is the society's adulation of these rugged aspects of some mil training that attracts folks; attracts them for different reasons.

That's exactly what's behind the ads for "high-intensity" carbine classes you see in gun rags, featuring a bunch of pudgy IT guys doing Australian peels in the rain with some guy yelling at them. I hear there's an organization that will actually PAY people to do that, rather than charge them, but they require signing a contract and they make people get goofy haircuts and get in shape.

seabiscuit
12-09-2012, 09:09 AM
My cousin just ran a marathon with me and he's done a couple Tough Mudders. He's just looking for a challenge. I'd like to do one too, although I did some kind of similar stuff during basic.

ford.304
12-09-2012, 11:15 AM
That's exactly what's behind the ads for "high-intensity" carbine classes you see in gun rags, featuring a bunch of pudgy IT guys doing Australian peels in the rain with some guy yelling at them. I hear there's an organization that will actually PAY people to do that, rather than charge them, but they require signing a contract and they make people get goofy haircuts and get in shape.

Hell, if the option was just "go through boot camp and training for free" I would have signed up years ago :) It's the "live where we tell you and do what we tell you for 8 years" that always got me.

fuse
12-09-2012, 02:27 PM

Some are pretty serious. Tough mudder (I believe) is typically very difficult.

Run Amuck is on the other end of the spectrum.

We have something called Color Run around here. Best I can tell it's run amuck but with water soluble paint. Ghey.

Kevin B.
12-09-2012, 02:43 PM
I was under-whelmed by the Tough Mudder.

SeriousStudent
12-09-2012, 03:23 PM
We used to do the Volkslauf at MCAS Tustin or El Toro, but that was many years ago. A Marine helicopter squadron ran it for charity. I think, but am not sure, it was HMM-262, a CH-46 squadron.

The fun part was betting on the Recon guys from Pendleton and the NSW guys from Coronado. I think the title traded hands a couple of times.

Someplace I have a couple of those old T-shirts. That was thirty-forty years ago. It was a fun race, people did not take themselves seriously, and Mark Zuckerberg had not been born yet. Good times.

JDB
12-13-2012, 12:19 PM
http://andrewskurka.com/adventures/alaska-mountain-wilderness-classic/

A friend of mine won this a few years back.

No support, no prize, no publicity, no fixed route. The location changes every few years, but typically 150-200 miles I think, generally in 3-4 days. There's a winter version as well some of my friends in college did. They say that one's easier, get on skis and go.

Tamara
12-13-2012, 12:45 PM
There's the Barkley Marathon (http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/) in TN. Thirteen out of nine hundred entrants have finished in 60 hours since 1986. Only hardcore crazies even enter.

JDB
12-13-2012, 03:02 PM
huh, there's even a website now.

http://classicreport.blogspot.com/

Most years the race doesn't even make the local news. Its about as wild and remote as a race could get, and as underground. I've only heard about it from friends. Pretty intense stuff.

Chemsoldier
12-13-2012, 03:27 PM
If you want a pretty extreme experience try the Pike's Peak Marathon. 13.3 miles and over 7,000 vertical feet up and back down. State just shy of 8000 feet above sea level and peak at 14,100 or so.
This year's fastest time for the whole 26.6 miles was 3 hrs 40 minutes.

http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/

canyoncopa
12-16-2012, 01:46 PM
I have run the Dirty Dash, Man vs Mud, Zombie Race, Spartan Beast, Tough Mudder, and World's Toughest Mudder. Obstacle racing is kind of my thing. I've always been a distance runner, but I have a lot of upper body strength as well. When I heard about obstacle racing, I knew it was for me. It can actually be harder on your knees however with all the jumping, and tromping through mud. I highly recommend this type of racing to anybody as it is a lot more fun than the monotony of your average race. Check out my blog for reports/descriptions on each of the races I've ran. http://canyonsadventurecraze.blogspot.com/

orionz06
12-16-2012, 01:49 PM
A friend did one within 4 hours of Pittsburgh and was charged $35 for 3 photos that were iPhone quality. They were taken in front of a backdrop of some sort. The race fee was low but everything else was tacked on. Not to take away from the merits of the race and people getting out there but someone clearly has found a way to reach into people's pockets. there was a long line for photos as well.

Shawn.L
12-16-2012, 01:53 PM
A friend did one within 4 hours of Pittsburgh and was charged $35 for 3 photos that were iPhone quality. They were taken in front of a backdrop of some sort. The race fee was low but everything else was tacked on. Not to take away from the merits of the race and people getting out there but someone clearly has found a way to reach into people's pockets. there was a long line for photos as well.

I did the http://runruckus.com/ , I thought of it as an obstacle course race. Is an "adventure race" something else? It was within an hour of Pittsburgh. To your comment though, yeah, they tried to sell me pictures and ect. I just paid my fee and ran it. It was fun, and I'll do it again, but it was a lot more just being banged up and getting dirty than anything else. Yes, mud, lots of mud, I get it.... really... more mud? Ok.... now I have to.... mud.... yeah, there a trend here...... oh wait ! A dangerous obstacle covered in mud !

Jason F
12-16-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm woefully underprepared physically for it, but I've been trying to get a buddy who's already registered for a ToughMudder to sign up for a GoRuck. His response continues to be, "Heck no!". He's the one working with a trainer 3x a week, for 6 months... what does he have to be scared of? ;)

I may still sign up for one in '13 just to see what I'm made of. I've read several reviews about it, and they say that just like the Army SF Selection that the cadre are all vets of and trying to replicate a bit, it's basically a mental game more than physical. The physical is there and important, but without the mental they say you won't make it no matter how good your physical is. THAT intrigues me.

vmi-mo
12-19-2012, 07:08 PM
True adventure races are the shit. Think Triathlon but in the woods. Not this "extreme" lets get dirty stuff and brag about it on monday type race.

They typically fall into the 12-36hr range and require alot of technical skill along with balls/endurance

Here are a few informational links
http://www.usara.com/default.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f
http://www.oarevents.com/index.shtml

MDS
12-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the links and info. I'm looking forward to the GoRuck Challenge, it's very motivating. I've been training and actually hurt myself from overtraining during a 2mi hike with 75# on my back - I don't think the barefoot shoes I like so much are very good with that kind of load. Bought myself some cheap but stiff-ankled hiking boots today, if that makes a real difference I may invest in some good Danners or etc.

Anyway, I can see the ToughMudders and similar getting boring after a few times... but I don't think I'm ever going to be one of those die-hard ultra extreme dudes. I'd love to do the Pike's Peak Half Marathon, just the uphill portion of the full thing, even though I know there'll be hell to pay afterwards with my knees. After the GRC I'll see what's offered and try a few of these out. If all it does is motivate me to train, it'll be money well spent.

ETA: well, that didn't last long. The cheap boots definitely helped my ankle.....but after about 8 hours of wear, they already broke an eyelet as I cinched it down. I've just ordered some Danners, and luckily REI has a good return policy. :)

MadMax17
12-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the links and info. I'm looking forward to the GoRuck Challenge, it's very motivating. I've been training and actually hurt myself from overtraining during a 2mi hike with 75# on my back - I don't think the barefoot shoes I like so much are very good with that kind of load. Bought myself some cheap but stiff-ankled hiking boots today, if that makes a real difference I may invest in some good Danners or etc.

Anyway, I can see the ToughMudders and similar getting boring after a few times... but I don't think I'm ever going to be one of those die-hard ultra extreme dudes. I'd love to do the Pike's Peak Half Marathon, just the uphill portion of the full thing, even though I know there'll be hell to pay afterwards with my knees. After the GRC I'll see what's offered and try a few of these out. If all it does is motivate me to train, it'll be money well spent.

ETA: well, that didn't last long. The cheap boots definitely helped my ankle.....but after about 8 hours of wear, they already broke an eyelet as I cinched it down. I've just ordered some Danners, and luckily REI has a good return policy. :)

Good idea on the Danners, take care of your feet and they'll take care of you. It's amazing what a good pair of boots will do

EOD_Paul
01-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Nike makes a good pair of boots, I have put dozens of ruck miles in them. They weigh like 14oz and have full comfort and support. The tough mudder I did was so much fun. I dont think i stopped smiling or laughing the whole 12 miles.

Ridgeback303
01-07-2013, 10:43 AM
A different sort of "adventure" race...RAAM (http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/raam.php?N_webcat_id=1).
Read Dex Tooke's book, Unfinished Business (http://ultradex.net/) for a look at what RAAM is like from the inside.

JRas
01-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Read up on running make sure your form is good. Follow the 10% rule ( don't increase distance or intensity by more than 10%, or risk injury )

Get shoes setup for you( running stores watch you run on treadmill ), and replace your shoes often

MDS
01-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Good tips! For this GoRuck Challenge in a few days, the problem had been getting used to the weighted ruck. I recently went 4mi in an hour with a 45lb pack, and that taught me a whole new set of things about my footwear!

TGS
01-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Good tips! For this GoRuck Challenge in a few days, the problem had been getting used to the weighted ruck. I recently went 4mi in an hour with a 45lb pack, and that taught me a whole new set of things about my footwear!

Speaking from experience here.....

It's kinda just going to suck to a certain degree, no matter what you do. Especially when you train to do better than yesterday, and are pushing yourself. You won't really feel or appreciate the gains until you stop, get fat and out of shape, and get completely mind-f'd when you realize how in shape you actually use to be.

Until that day, every ruck run is going to suck.

As it should.

MDS
01-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Until that day, every ruck run is going to suck.

As it should.

Until that day....good livin'! :)

MDS
02-11-2013, 12:10 AM
Did the GoRuck Challenge (https://www.goruck.com/Events/Challenge) yesterday. 14 hours from 0100 to 1500, 21.5 miles all over Boca Raton, 45 pound ruck never touching the ground, 16 people carrying each other in more ways than one, along with whatever random log-shaped Turd the cadre took a liking to. Salt, water, sand, sewage. Cold and windy until dawn, blazing sun soon after. Exercises devised by demons to torment the damned. Until finally the easy part was over and the real pain began... I think a Tough Mudder now would be cake.

Sucky as it was at the time, and proud as I am of myself and the rest of the finishers, this Challenge gave me a whole new level of appreciation for you specops guys. This thing can only be an appetizer - nay, a single shrimp in the cocktail - compared to what it takes to get through some of your schools.... And then the hard part starts. Thanks again to all of you. Damn few, indeed!

JConn
04-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Thought I would raise this thread from the dead. Just finished a tough mudder race. For me it was not easy. 12 miles where I was shocked cut, bruised, soaked, frozen, and toward the end nearly hypothermic. They give you a beer at the end and I could barely hold the thing I was shaking so hard, more ended up on the ground than in me. All in all though it was fun, and a great challenge to tackle with friends. It took place at peacemaker national training center which is beautiful and it was funny to see my coworkers gawk at the different ranges. I would definitely recommend it (although perhaps in a warmer month) if you enjoy a challenge and enjoy running.

UNK
04-20-2013, 09:25 PM
My 13 year old just ran a 6+ miler No Guts No Glory with 15 obstacles. He loved it and wants to run another one. He was physically exhausted the day after the race. He ran it with three military guys and they had to help him on some of the obstacles but really he absolutely loved everything about it.

Default.mp3
04-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Necroposting.

So, for those who have done it, what kind of apparel do you recommend? I'm signed up for a Spartan Race (a super) in Austin for next month, and besides being mandated to wear a certain t-shirt (we're being sponsored), I'm not too sure what I should be wearing. Thinking about picking up a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX for the race and future use (right now, all I have are canvas/rubber sneakers, dress shoes, and heavy duty boots, like the Danner RAT). Not too sure about the pants, I'm assuming that fight shorts would be okay? Although I have been toying with going full tacticool-retard and try it in some combat pants (the kneepads might prove useful?). Also, I use soft contacts, and are seriously blind without them (script's at like -8.50 diopters); any tips?

orionz06
04-23-2014, 01:16 PM
I would wear some compression shorts to keep things in the mud from getting around your gear.

texasaggie2005
04-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX

I completed a Tough Mudder last October wearing the same shoes. They worked great.

About the only thing I'd strongly recommend, is wear the tightest clothes you feel comfortable wearing. All clothing will get completely soaked and caked in mud. The looser it is, the more it will drag down and hinder your movements.

edited to add: I'd forgo the contacts. I don't wear either contacts or glasses, but there were multiple times I was trying to remove muddy water from my eyes.

wilco423
04-24-2014, 12:29 AM
I've done two Tough Mudders, and wore a synthetic long sleeved t-shirt and lined running shorts both times. Next time I'll try to find a tighter fitting shirt, but didn't have any issues with the shorts. The mud in my shoes was much more annoying, although I managed to get through this past year without taking my shoes off to clear the mud under my toes. If the Salomons do a good job of keeping the mud out in the first place, you should be good to go. I just wore general road and trail shoes. Good grip helps on some of the obstacles.

zml342
04-24-2014, 09:01 AM
I've done two Tough Mudders, and wore a synthetic long sleeved t-shirt and lined running shorts both times. Next time I'll try to find a tighter fitting shirt, but didn't have any issues with the shorts. The mud in my shoes was much more annoying, although I managed to get through this past year without taking my shoes off to clear the mud under my toes. If the Salomons do a good job of keeping the mud out in the first place, you should be good to go. I just wore general road and trail shoes. Good grip helps on some of the obstacles.

+1

I, too, have done two Tough Mudders. The first one I wore a loose fitted shirt, compression shorts, regular shorts, and New Balance Minimus shoes. The shorts were fine, but the shirt was annoying. Also, the ground was so rocky that my feet hurt. The second race I wore a tight fitted shirt (heat gear which dried much faster), compression and regular shorts, and a normal pair of cushioned running shoes. Minus the mud getting into my shoes, I found this set up to be a lot more comfortable.

Also, I found that gloves never really helped and ended up throwing them away after the first wet obstacle.

littlejerry
07-20-2016, 08:40 PM
Bringing this one back

I've decided to do a GoRuck Challenge in my town. Need a good event to train for; best shape I've been in was when I've had an event to train towards.

So have any other PF'ers attended one? I've got about 8 weeks to train.

Arbninftry
07-21-2016, 02:09 AM
These a becoming popular out here in OK. More are starting to pop up. The RUN N GUN 5kand 10ks and you must carry all of your ammo.

http://www.okrunngun.com

voodoo_man
07-21-2016, 06:13 AM
Bringing this one back

I've decided to do a GoRuck Challenge in my town. Need a good event to train for; best shape I've been in was when I've had an event to train towards.

So have any other PF'ers attended one? I've got about 8 weeks to train.

I have, its not hard. You have all your equipment?

Just remember to train past the required time allotment. I've done a few lites and a few tough's, not exactly hard just need to train for them. If you are doing a tough, make sure your training consists of you rucking for at least 16 hours at least one day out of the whole thing, that'll give you a better idea of what the event is like, even if you don't do any of the workout stuff in between.

littlejerry
07-21-2016, 04:16 PM
These a becoming popular out here in OK. More are starting to pop up. The RUN N GUN 5kand 10ks and you must carry all of your ammo.

http://www.okrunngun.com

Yep, I've done the OK Run twice. I missed the summer one and I'm looking for another challenge to take up.

littlejerry
07-21-2016, 04:17 PM
I have, its not hard. You have all your equipment?

Just remember to train past the required time allotment. I've done a few lites and a few tough's, not exactly hard just need to train for them. If you are doing a tough, make sure your training consists of you rucking for at least 16 hours at least one day out of the whole thing, that'll give you a better idea of what the event is like, even if you don't do any of the workout stuff in between.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just bought a 30lb ruck plate since they had a 50% of admission deal going. I'll probably order a GR1 or rucker to go with it