PDA

View Full Version : Good for left and right handed?

crashfj55
12-08-2012, 12:43 AM
I am in the market for a nice pocket pistol to carry I have narrowed it down to either the S&W 380 bodyguard or Ruger lcp 380. My fiancé is getting her carry permit as well and it make things easier I want to just get identical guns. The problem is I am a righty and she is a lefty. Can you give me any insight as to which would be a good fit for left and right handed shooters?

njmedic1485
01-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Look at the M&P line by Smith and Wesson, their compact 9mm and 40 S&W look easy to carry and they have ambidextrous controls. I am "wrong handed" as well and have learned to shoot righty, having the left hand slide stop is nice and the mag release button is easy to hit with my index finger but that is also easily reversible.
hope this helps
bob

Silvershadow
01-17-2013, 08:41 AM
I am a lefty and I will say the LCP is pretty ambidextrous. The bodyguard on the other hand has a thumb safety that is only accessible with the right thumb. I have shot and handled the LCP and it is a good little gun for a lefty in my opinion. I also have a SW MP 9C with thumb safety and it is VERY lefty friendly. Everything about that gun works well in either hand.

G60
01-27-2013, 01:41 AM
M&P or M&Pc are ill suited for pocket carry.

Haraise
01-27-2013, 02:31 AM
Have you shot either of these?

If you're looking for 'nice' pistols, look further.

If you're looking for 'shootable' pistols, look further.

If you're looking for effective rounds, look further.

I've got a fully setup LCP (hybrid grip, SS guide rod, heavy Wolff recoil spring), and I never, never shoot it because it bruises my hand. Literally. Intend to sell it, if you still want it.

Tamara
01-27-2013, 08:02 AM
The bodyguard on the other hand has a thumb safety that is only accessible with the right thumb.

Given that the Bodyguard is a true DAO, I see no real need to use the safety on mine. It's completely redundant. To the OP's questions on the Bodyguard...

The trigger on my Bodyguard was buck wretched out of the box, like pulling the proverbial piano across a gravel road with your index finger, but after a hundred rounds or so has smoothed out to be a usable, if still stupid heavy, trigger. If you can shoot a DA trigger, you'll be able to manage it; if not, a long, heavy trigger pull on a light, tiny pistol is a recipe for yanking the sights off-target.

The laser activation buttons on the integral laser are ambidextrous, but might as well be located in Albania for all the chance you'll have of activating them in a hurry as you yank the gun out of pocket or purse. I'm assuming that CTC holds some sort of patent on a grip-activation button.

Unlike the P3AT, I can shoot the Bodyguard one-handed without it short-cycling. It has thus far been 100% reliable with FMJ, Hornady Critical Defense, and Winchester PDX1.

.380 Auto is a completely unsatisfactory round from a self-defense standpoint, but it beats a handful of nothing and it's replacing a .32 H&R Mag in my pocket, which wasn't exactly the Hammer of Thor, either.

For the niche for which I need it, to fit in the outside breast pocket of my winter coat where I can access it with the coat zipped up or seated in my car, it's dandy. In warmer weather it will do for a pocket-carried BUG.

NETim
01-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Ideally, you become adept at running the gun from both sides. Knobs and switches on the gun are secondary to the knobs and switches you install between your ears.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Guinnessman
01-28-2013, 07:59 PM
As a lefty, I prefer to use a Kahr PM9 or J-frame for pocket carry. The Kahr PM9/CM9 is just small enough for pocket carry, lacks a manual safety, and has a usable and easily manipulated slide stop. Although the Kahr is a very small 9mm, I find it relatively easy to shoot for its size. Personally, I have to practice quite a bit to stay proficient with the Kahr compared to a Glock. That is another reason why I prefer a 9mm over a .380. Good luck in your search.

jhprice
05-21-2013, 08:49 PM
find a range and try out what you are thinking of purchasing both 380s have a pretty good kick you might like em but she might not sig has 938 that seems pretty solid in that size it a 9 mm but its got a punchy recoil also . though i do like the ruger 9mm smaller guns though and they are great for the price.My wife has a p22 she conceal carries and people make fun of her til they see her shoot it 10 rounds 3 seconds in 2 inch cirlce. she loves my 1911 but its to heavy and her walther hides realy well.

jhp