PDA

View Full Version : Counting Rounds?

JakeB
12-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering what each of you does to track your round count during practice, matches, and training? I've been reading through Todd's blog and it appears that his record keeping is IMPECCABLE!

I've normally tracked round count (mostly for my rifles) via small round count books during range sessions or matches. With the pistol its a bit more challenging for me due to the volume of shooting.

What do you do?

Thanks for your insight.

- Jake

JV_
12-04-2012, 10:29 AM
I use an excel spreadsheet noting: round count, date, load details. I also keep a special section for malfunctions, repairs, and cleanings.

JakeB
12-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks JV, do you use a smartphone or other 'device' for tracking this at the range or do you just takes notes on paper etc...then transpose to the Excel sheet later?

JV_
12-04-2012, 10:39 AM
I bring a set number of rounds to the range, each bag of my reloaded ammo has 250 rounds. I counted out 250 rounds the first time, weighted it, then just pour rounds in to a bag until it hits my target weight.

So, I generally know my round count for each range session. If there's a malfunction or stoppage, I write it down on a 3x5 card and compile the data when I get home. It generally takes 10 seconds.

I could easily put this on MS SkyDrive/Google Drive and do it with my droid, but I prefer real keyboards and big monitors.

LOKNLOD
12-04-2012, 10:51 AM
I do similar to JV. I do keep the spreadsheet in my dropbox, so i can access it from many different computers, or even my phone/ipad, but I manually note anything i want to write down at the range in a little 3x5ish bound notebook and then transcribe it to the spreadsheet at home.

I also hate trying to do data entry on a phone or tablet.

Shokr21
12-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I use a couple 50 round count plastic boxes, primarily made for reloaders, to keep track of how much I shoot.

If a malfunction occurs I note how far into the range session I was and write it down in a notebook.

I keep an xcel for each of my firearms and update it after every range session.

Dave J
12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I've been shooting mostly factory ammo lately, so I simply tear the end off the cardboard box, annotate which pistol it went through, e.g. "G19#2", and shove it in my pocket. Often any other minor notations (like POI info, malfunctions) get jotted on the box flaps as well.

Once I'm back home, I pull the stack of box flaps out of my pocket, then update my excel spreadsheet that tracks my round counts and ammo inventory.

I normally bring a 3-ring binder to the range that I record my drill performance in, so any other info I need to record normally winds up there.

Corey
12-04-2012, 05:38 PM
I reload and use 100 round plastic boxes to take my ammo to the range so it makes counting rounds easy. I do shoot some factory ammo and I simply use the same method with the 50 round boxes. When I go to the range I have a practice sheet printed out with what drills I am going to do and space to write my scores so I can put them in my excel spreadsheet when I get home. At the end of the session I just add up the rounds used and write it at the bottom of the sheet. I also write down any malfunctions when they happen and I can quickly see where I am at on my round count when it happens.

bigslim
12-05-2012, 08:45 AM
I will pack a predetermined amount of ammo in the range bag and very rarely do I ever come home with any but if I do its easy to figure out my round count. I am an Apple guy so I use Pages and have a document that has all the drills of the week and another that is my range log, since they sync through the cloud I have all my info all the time. I use a small notebook to record round count, malfunctions, drills run and there scores, total rounds through the guns and what not and when I get home I will input that info into my range log in Pages.

Mike

EMC
12-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Another method of round counting is to keep track of your total rounds in inventory in each caliber in your spreadsheet. If you lose track during your range session or throw your empty boxes away or forget how much you brought, just retotal your rounds when you get home and subtract from the previous total to get that session's count. Also handy to know when to restock.

ghettomedic
12-06-2012, 06:16 PM
As my range time has become more limited these days, I strive to make every range trip count and maximize the takeaways from each session. I've begun compiling a list of objectives for the day and placing them on the top of a page, then writing out a practice plan of what drills I'm going to run, how many times each and a few key points regarding each one. I place this in a single sheet protector and stick it in my waistband at 6' o clock. It's with me for the whole session and I can make notes on it in china marker. It is most decidedly low-tech, but it works for me.

When I get home, I add the times from each drill to my "performance tracking" spreadsheet and I tally up the round count based on the number of rounds fired in each drill times the number of iterations and add that to my "maintenance and round count" spreadsheet. I note any malfunctions at the appropriate place within the drill I'm doing, and make a notation of the mag that was in the gun when the malfunction occurred. I then try to jot down 3-4 sentences about my session in the "Training Journal" word document contained in the same folder. A mini-AAR, if you will, with things to sustain, things to improve and things to work on during my next dry fire and live fire sessions.