PDA

View Full Version : m1 garand

breakingtime91
12-04-2012, 01:21 AM
So I have been mauling this over for some quite some time. I am going to be moving soon to Montana and I want a rifle that can be a shtf and a hunting rifle. I am pretty enthraled with the M1's history and have used the 30-06 to hunt deer. So I guess my question is it still viable? I know the AR dominates and was raised on it in the Corps, it's just not for me.

Looking forward to hearing back from you guys.

Alaskapopo
12-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Viable for what? Sure if its all you had you could use it for self defense. But its 1930's techology. Its huge, not very manuverable, its low capacity, your not going to be able to easily mount optics or a light. They are fun guns for nostalga and shooting High Power in the M1 Garand only matches. But for a defensive tool or a SHTF weapon there are far better choices out there now.
Pat

TGS
12-04-2012, 03:00 AM
It doesn't sound to me like you're expecting it to be something it isn't, so I say go for it. If you're not concerned with being Gun-Culture 2.0 Tactical Warfighter Light Special Infantry Operator guy in your backyard, I think it will do you fine. Wars were being fought, people being killed, and lawns being gotten off of long before we had the super duper high technology equipment density lists we're operating with today (arguably to no greater mission success on a significant level).

It will certainly be a heavy rifle for hunting, but it serves other purposes as well that seem to interest you.

DocGKR
12-04-2012, 03:21 AM
If I was moving out of CA to a free state like Montana, I'd sell just about all ALL my other rifles (including my remaining M1 carbines, M1's, M1A's, and Rem 700 bolt guns) and buy two 16" LaRue or KAC .308 rifles and be done with it...

Having said that, since I still live in CA, my nice M1 with a Ultimak rail and Aimpoint H1 works very well..

DanH
12-04-2012, 05:13 AM
as always, the Doc speaks sense.

Personally, if I was against the idea of a AR-style rifle and still wanted semi-auto I'd probably go with a Browning BAR before an M1 because of the weight. However, the AR platform does have a lot of advantages that I just can't ignore. Multitudes of accessories, .308 caliber, lighter weight and higher capacity all make the AR a superior rifle in my opinion. However, from a cost standpoint, and if I was mainly looking for a hunting rifle, I think I would probably go for a lower cost bolt action from Remington or another quality manufacturer.
An M1 is a perfectly capable rifle, but there are better choices out there.

Tamara
12-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Every American should own an M1 Garand because M1 Garand. Not owning one should cause you to get a corner clipped off your 'Murrican card.

That being said, I can think of a half-dozen better choices for a combined hunting/zombocalypse rifle.

LittleLebowski
12-04-2012, 07:30 AM
So I have been mauling this over for some quite some time. I am going to be moving soon to Montana and I want a rifle that can be a shtf and a hunting rifle. I am pretty enthraled with the M1's history and have used the 30-06 to hunt deer. So I guess my question is it still viable? I know the AR dominates and was raised on it in the Corps, it's just not for me.

Looking forward to hearing back from you guys.

An AR makes so much more sense, especially for hunting. A bolt gun will be more accurate and cheaper.....

Tamara
12-04-2012, 08:22 AM
One problem with the Garand as a hunting rifle is that its gas system won't handle a lot of the more serious hunting loads without modification.

You'd see a lot of 'em get brought in with bent op-rods or worn camming surfaces from 180gr bullets or Hornady Light Magnums or whatever.

Dave J
12-04-2012, 01:14 PM
I'd basically agree with most of the previous comments.

I love my M1, and have had a lot of fun shooting it in matches over the years. But if I'm going hunting, or there's ever a SHTF scenario, it'll get left behind in the safe in favor of a more efficient tool.

Having said that, if I happened to be on my way to a Garand match on the hypothetical SHTF day, I think I'd feel OK about my odds.

Tamara
12-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Having said that, if I happened to be on my way to a Garand match on the hypothetical SHTF day, I think I'd feel OK about my odds.

When I was briefly without an AR carbine, I pulled the Garand from storage and propped it in a corner with a couple of clips Sergeant Rock-ed on the sling...

When I got another AR a couple months later, I felt better, because you really want to be careful about unleashing .30-06 M2 black-tip in a crowded urban neighborhood. :eek:

TGS
12-04-2012, 02:26 PM
When I was briefly without an AR carbine, I pulled the Garand from storage and propped it in a corner with a couple of clips Sergeant Rock-ed on the sling...

When I got another AR a couple months later, I felt better, because you really want to be careful about unleashing .30-06 M2 black-tip in a crowded urban neighborhood. :eek:

Wow, that's like my story right there.....except it's a K31 :o . My BCM 14.5 middy/Rainer lower should be here in a week, though :D.

Can you talk more in depth on the M1 gas system and heavy loads? That's good to know, I'm just wondering the "why" behind it.

LittleLebowski
12-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Wow, that's like my story right there.....except it's a K31 :o . My BCM 14.5 middy/Rainer lower should be here in a week, though :D.

Can you talk more in depth on the M1 gas system and heavy loads? That's good to know, I'm just wondering the "why" behind it.

Relevant but not from me; from my friend Kevin Boland of KAC

Gas Pistons while efficient in terms of port sizing requirements - are very ammo sensitive.

Why after all do piston guns have adjustable gas system for suppressed and un-suppressed? They need them ;-)

joshs
12-04-2012, 02:52 PM

The M1's gas system was designed around relatively fast burning powder, which meant lower pressure at the gas port. Most modern .30-06 has much slower burning powder, so the pressure is still higher when the bullet passes the gas port. There are a number of simple solutions to this problem. E.g., http://www.midwayusa.com/product/777146/schuster-dcm-adjustable-gas-plug-with-wrench-m1-garand-steel-parkerized

littlejerry
12-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Garands are fun rifles no doubt. I love mine and wish I had an excuse to shoot it more. Problem is .30-06 isn't cheap and you don't want to run just anything through a garand.

I used to hunt with mine but got sick of it. It was heavy, long, and the safety is loud. It also isn't terribly accurate..

Now I hunt with an AR or marlin .30-30 if I'm somewhere that doesn't approve of black rifles. A 20 inch AR feels like a light weight carbine compared to the garand.

BLR
12-05-2012, 10:39 AM

Depends on the crowded urban neighborhood, I would think.

TGS
12-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Depends on the crowded urban neighborhood, I would think.

There's that thing your lawyer buddy said about "Only post stuff that you will read in front of a judge." ;)