PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printed Lower Lasts 6 Shots

Nik the Greek
12-03-2012, 11:36 PM
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/12/weaponeers/

Interesting. For a pet project, these guys seem very interested in developing a viable end product.

So what do you think? It seems to me that real success is a ways out contingent on better designs and improvements in 3D printing tech, but are printed lowers/frames/etc. ultimately a good thing or a bad thing?

Tamara
12-04-2012, 08:25 AM
So what do you think? It seems to me that real success is a ways out contingent on better designs and improvements in 3D printing tech, but are printed lowers/frames/etc. ultimately a good thing or a bad thing?

What do I think? I think that like fire or gunpowder or atomic energy or computers powerful enough to recognize faces and correlate them to database searches, this isn't a good thing or a bad thing, it's just a thing, and people (and governments) are just going to need to learn how to deal with it.

Chuck Haggard
12-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Looks like it couldn't stand up to the massive recoil of the awesome 5.7

ToddG
12-04-2012, 09:44 AM

5.7: the .22 that shoots like a .380!

Tamara
12-04-2012, 09:52 AM

The Wright Brothers' first flight could have taken place in the cargo hold of a C-5, too. ;)

Failure2Stop
12-04-2012, 05:15 PM
5.7: the .22 that shoots like a .380!

Awesome!
I'm totally stealing that.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

littlejerry
12-04-2012, 06:50 PM

Interesting. For a pet project, these guys seem very interested in developing a viable end product.

I'm not surprised. I work in product development and have 3d prints made of prototypes all the time. The technology holds value for rapid prototyping, I.e. you are willing to accept poor mechanical properties and cosmetics in order to have a working mouse trap in front of you tomorrow... At an extraordinarily high part cost. It is a development tool, not a manufacturing method..

I suppose a laser sintered metal part would be strong enough but you will still pay a ton for it.

Spr1
12-04-2012, 06:53 PM

The closer we get to a Star Trek Replicator, the better.....

If we could fast forward (reel to reel tape terminology) ourselves 200 years, there would probably be technology there that leaves us one step up from our dogs sitting in front of the color TV.

BaiHu
12-05-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm not surprised. I work in product development and have 3d prints made of prototypes all the time. The technology holds value for rapid prototyping, I.e. you are willing to accept poor mechanical properties and cosmetics in order to have a working mouse trap in front of you tomorrow... At an extraordinarily high part cost. It is a development tool, not a manufacturing method..

I suppose a laser sintered metal part would be strong enough but you will still pay a ton for it.

Exactly! I dunno why people are excited about this or getting their panties in a wad that you can now 'download an evil black rifle right into your home.'

rant on/The internet is as full of BS as the world is, why anyone makes up their mind simply b/c they read a Bold Faced Title with a link to a real news agency with a hyperlink (http://hyperlink) is beyond me.

If critical thinking doesn't make it off of life support soon, we can kiss all of our rights goodbye./rant off