PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Durability?

66L
12-01-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm curious what most of you think about Magpul's long term durability as "AR furniture"? I know P-Mags work well and are very popular, but what about their forearms, stocks, grips, light mounts, slings, etc? I got a good deal on the stuff and have outfitted my S&W M&P-15 with it. There are plenty more expensive options (pretty much everything), but do you get what you pay for, or is it likely to really take a beating and keep going? I find it all to be ergonomic, user adjustable, and user friendly. Any input is welcome.

EMC
12-01-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm curious what most of you think about Magpul's long term durability a "AR furniture"? I know P-Mags work well and are very popular, but what about their forearms, stocks, grips, light mounts, slings, etc? I got a good deal on the stuff and have outfitted my S&W M&P-15 with it. There are plenty more expensive options (pretty much everything), but do you get what you pay for, or is it likely to really take a beating and keep going? I find it all to be ergonomic, user adjustable, and user friendly. Any input is welcome.

It's good kit. I have an MBUS backup sight and a MOE stock and both are solid.

Haraise
12-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Actual testing: http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/02/01/buttstock-bashfest-gearscout-finds-out-just-how-far-tough-talk-goes/

In short, Magpul is the strongest stuff out there in the UBR and STR. CTR is more midpack.

66L
12-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the link. I am waiting for an STR stock to arrive from Brownells and I'm glad to see how well it performed, even if this was a limited test. I am really digging the Magpul gear. Anyone else have hard use experience with Magpul?

Odin Bravo One
12-01-2012, 02:13 PM
I use MagPul stocks exclusively on my AR's. All however many of them I am up to these days. Pretty sure they would all fall under the definition of "hard use".

I use MagPul mags when that is what is handed to me, and don't usually want for something different.

Their fore-ends are as good as anyone else's that attach to the rifle in such a manner.

I am not a fan of their BUIS's for several reasons, but if that is what one has, and doesn't want to spend the money for Troy, or other more robust/useful sight, they will do the job. Albeit, in a more limited manner.

I can see changing some of their stuff out based on user preference, but I don't see durability being any more of an issue with MagPul than with anything else out there. One hard bang on a railed front end can render even the top priced stuff useless.

F-Trooper05
12-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Not a huge fan of their sights...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/millert12005/MBUS3.jpg

Wendell
12-01-2012, 05:27 PM
What about Magpul's (870) shotgun stocks? Have any of you had experience with them yet?

Kyle Reese
12-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Big fan of the PMAGs and their stocks. Been using the PMAGs since 2007 without any issues.

Used PMAGs over here as they became available, and discarded the crap USGI mags we were given.

Haraise
12-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Not a huge fan of their sights...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/millert12005/MBUS3.jpg

Overtightening any plastic will do that. Just like the TLR-3 failures.

F-Trooper05
12-01-2012, 07:07 PM

Not a huge fan of TLR3's either. Hmm, starting to see a pattern here...

Odin Bravo One
12-01-2012, 07:23 PM

That is far from the only issue.

What happens when something interferes with the mechanism? The sight fails to fully deploy.

Not a big deal, unless of course, you actually need to use it. In which case, not having a fully deployed sight is a huge deal.

Their sights are the one thing I have found from MagPul that will not stand up to serious use, in the field. They don't even work all that well on the range, as that is where I started seeing the shortcomings of the material and the design.

Sparks2112
12-01-2012, 09:01 PM

What happens when something interferes with the mechanism? The sight fails to fully deploy.

Not a big deal, unless of course, you actually need to use it. In which case, not having a fully deployed sight is a huge deal.

Their sights are the one thing I have found from MagPul that will not stand up to serious use, in the field. They don't even work all that well on the range, as that is where I started seeing the shortcomings of the material and the design.

I don't get it. It's like magpul sat down one day and had a meeting.

"As you all may know our products are universally regarded as kick ass, a company cannot survive unless they make one utterly useless product. What can we do about this shortcoming?"

"Well sir I have this idea for some buis that are flimsy, don't lock upright so they won't hold zero, and lets make it really difficult to switch apertures while we are at it. We've got to make sure people want to buy them though."

"That's easy, we'll give them a button that pops them up so they at least seem cool."

"Genius!"

Haraise
12-01-2012, 09:15 PM

Yeah, wasn't saying that was the only issue. Simply that a screw multiplies force, and plastic will give before the metal does. The rest of it, can't comment on. Just seen way too many overbuilt things from computers to gun parts break because default torque spec is 'as hard as you can.'

WDW
12-01-2012, 09:19 PM

"As you all may know our products are universally regarded as kick ass, a company cannot survive unless they make one utterly useless product. What can we do about this shortcoming?"

"Well sir I have this idea for some buis that are flimsy, don't lock upright so they won't hold zero, and lets make it really difficult to switch apertures while we are at it. We've got to make sure people want to buy them though."

"That's easy, we'll give them a button that pops them up so they at least seem cool."

"Genius!"

Well, there's only so many ways to make a polymer sight. I think they provide a viable solution for people not wanting to drop $200-$400 on iron sights. Are they the best? No. Will they allow someone to utilize their otherwise sightless gun? Yes. And yes, they do have many weaknesses especially in a hard use environment, but I don't think that was ever their purpose & I doubt anyone who carries a rifle for a living gives them serious thought.

Tamara
12-01-2012, 10:27 PM

"Genius!"

...and, realizing they'd been outdone, everyone at A.R.M.S. shed a tear. ;)

(Disclosure: My current housegun has an MBUS rear, but it couldn't live a more pampered life outside of the reliquary at the local cathedral. Plus it was free...)

Odin Bravo One
12-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Well, there's only so many ways to make a polymer sight. I think they provide a viable solution for people not wanting to drop $200-$400 on iron sights. Are they the best? No. Will they allow someone to utilize their otherwise sightless gun? Yes. And yes, they do have many weaknesses especially in a hard use environment, but I don't think that was ever their purpose & I doubt anyone who carries a rifle for a living gives them serious thought.

No, most serious people don't give them any thought, let alone serious thought. But the OP asked about MagPul product durability in hard use......

MikeyC
12-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Well, there's only so many ways to make a polymer sight. I think they provide a viable solution for people not wanting to drop $200-$400 on iron sights. Are they the best? No. Will they allow someone to utilize their otherwise sightless gun?

You can get a Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed BUIS for $65.00. I realized it's a fixed sight, but I'm more than happy with mine

peterb
12-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Experiences vary...
http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html
http://vuurwapenblog.com/2012/07/08/buisoptic-drop-test/

EMC
12-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Experiences vary...
http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html
http://vuurwapenblog.com/2012/07/08/buisoptic-drop-test/

Interesting results. Imagine that, dropping your rifle onto concrete or rock will break and bend stuff.

Little Creek
12-02-2012, 10:23 PM
I have several M4 style carbines. All have round floating forends. They all have MBUS, either MOE or MOE+ grips, one has a MOE stock (I put a QR sling swivel receiver on it but,I wish it was an STR or even a CTR), one has an ACS stock, One has a VFG and one has a AFG2. I have a few dozen PMAG 30s and 5 PMAG 20s with Ranger floor plates. I have a few ladder style rail covers. It is all great stuff at a great price. It all works and I have broken nothing except the front sight adjustment tools which are lame. I wish everything I own worked as well and was a durable as MagPul stuff.

Is the STR worth the extra weight over the CTR? I like LW carbines.

66L
12-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Is the STR worth the extra weight over the CTR? I like LW carbines.

I think the STR itself is only a few extra ounces. I really like having extra batteries on board for the Surefire. The cheek-weld benefits may or may not be of use to you.

45R
12-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Not a huge fan of TLR3's either. Hmm, starting to see a pattern here...

I agree. :)