PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone doing to stay healthy?

JDM
04-01-2011, 06:04 PM
I've never liked the gym...ever. I've had a few memberships and never used them more then once or twice. I don't like the vibe, I don't like the people (usually) and I don't like the no gun thing.

I despise running.

These days its a couple kettlebells and a pull-up bar at home. Also, in the summer I do some swimming. With some imagination I'm pretty sure there is nothing I can't work out.

What are you guys doing?

Joe in PNG
04-01-2011, 06:16 PM
About 1 hour's walk every afternoon...

Attempting (and often failing) at cutting back on fatty foods...

I've (mostly) switched from red meats to fish. Mostly tuna, so no loss as far as that goes...

JDM
04-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Attempting (and often failing) at cutting back on fatty foods...

I also really try and eat healthy, and usually do. But man sometimes there is nothing better than eating like complete shit once in a while. Especially after eating really clean for a long time.

Mmmmmmm In N Out. . .

lindertw
04-01-2011, 06:28 PM
I started eating better last spring, cut out soda completely and started running. The cost of (good) running shoes aside, it's low-to-no cost and I can get out and put in a few miles at any time. A joined a challenge via nike running with a few friends, and that keeps me motivated to keep the miles up too...

eta, the thing that helped the most with eating better was the livestrong app for my iphone

KentF
04-01-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm not doing as much as I should. I have type 2 diabetes so I'm watching my carb intake... Which really sucks because I LOVE potatoes and rice. I'm going to start walking again and the family uses Wii Fit. The Wii Fit really helps track weight and helps keep you motivated. Some of the balance and flexibility exercised have helped as well.

jslaker
04-01-2011, 09:12 PM
I really need to hit the weights again. My bench is on an enclosed patio, so I stopped when it got cold. My weight hasn't change a bit, but I've visibly gotten flabbier as muscle has changed to fat over the past few months.

Weather's awesome again here in GA so no more excuses, I suppose.

I will say that as somebody that always hated lifting, it made a bigger change in how I looked and felt after I took it up last year in just a few months than the years I used to run dozens of miles a week. Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength is a great starting point for anyone interested in taking it up.

@BOM - Fwiw, for what it'd cost you to hold a gym membership for a year or two, you can get everything you'd need for a basic home gym, provided you have room, especially if you watch craigslist for people getting rid of old equipment.

MD7305
04-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Trail running, mountain biking, and eating what my wife tells me to. I toss the kettlebell around occasionally but I need to make that a priority. When I was younger I ate like I had a tapeworm but those days are gone so I have to watch my diet.

turbolag23
04-01-2011, 09:28 PM
i play ice hockey and mountain bike. my main problem is i dont watch what i eat. i cut out pop or anything but water usually so that helps some. i also try and get to the gym for some light lifting but usually just go for the spinning and core classes. i just cant get into running even on a treadmill.

jslaker
04-01-2011, 11:05 PM
About 1 hour's walk every afternoon...<br />
<br />
Attempting (and often failing) at cutting back on fatty foods...<br />
<br />
I've (mostly) switched from red meats to fish. Mostly tuna, so no loss as far as that goes...
Missed this earlier. Be careful with the tuna - FDA guideline is no more than a can or two a week due to the mercury content. Sucks because tuna is an otherwise great, healthy food. I'd eat a LOT more of it if it weren't for the mercury content.

Also, not to derail, but I've become convinced that the fatty foods thing is bunk. I'm no Atkins advocate, but it's far more important to cut *refined* carbohydrates, IMO. Sugars, white flour, etc. Insulin response is what makes you hungry, and refined carbs spike the hell out of your blood sugar levels.

YVK
04-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Weight training in gym twice week.
Swimming twice a week, 1 km and 600-700 m respectively.
Short weight training sessions at home twice a week.
Tennis or skiing depending on a season just for fun of it. Sometimes I do group tennis workouts, pretty decent exercise for cardio.

JDM
04-02-2011, 09:57 AM
@BOM - Fwiw, for what it'd cost you to hold a gym membership for a year or two, you can get everything you'd need for a basic home gym, provided you have room, especially if you watch craigslist for people getting rid of old equipment.
I'll keep my eyes on CL. Thanks!

peterb
04-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Also, not to derail, but I've become convinced that the fatty foods thing is bunk. I'm no Atkins advocate, but it's far more important to cut *refined* carbohydrates, IMO. Sugars, white flour, etc. Insulin response is what makes you hungry, and refined carbs spike the hell out of your blood sugar levels.

True, but not all fat is equal. Olive oil keeps your arteries much happier then saturated fats. Olive oil and garlic are a big part of my cooking.

A pullup bar, like one of those hang-in-the-door models, is a good cheap tool.

My knees won't take running any more, but hiking with poles and really working the poles is a great low-impact workout.

Long brisk walk with the dog every morning. Good for both of us.

hoodoo_operator
04-02-2011, 12:27 PM
everything in moderation IMO
even saturated fats like bacon are fine as long as you don't have too much

fat isn't bad, it's just calorie dense. That just means you shouldn't eat too much.

IMO eating smaller portions and exercising are more important for staying healthy than trying to cut out "bad" foods.

my favorite nutrition advice is from Mark Bittman. "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Joe in PNG
04-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Missed this earlier. Be careful with the tuna - FDA guideline is no more than a can or two a week due to the mercury content. Sucks because tuna is an otherwise great, healthy food. I'd eat a LOT more of it if it weren't for the mercury content.

Most of what I cook is fresh tuna, not canned. And that only about 3 times a week. The big thing is not making a big serving of Thai Green Curry Pork every Friday, followed by steak, chips, and icecream on Sunday.

John Ralston
04-02-2011, 04:00 PM
A heavy bag and some core work (exercise ball, etc.). Watch my diet, but not as good as I should.

jslaker
04-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Most of what I cook is fresh tuna, not canned. And that only about 3 times a week. The big thing is not making a big serving of Thai Green Curry Pork every Friday, followed by steak, chips, and icecream on Sunday.

It's not a matter of fresh vs canned so much as the fact that tuna is relatively high on the food chain, and end up with higher concentrations of mercury in their bodies as it moves up the food chain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuna#Mercury_levels
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_in_fish#Biomagnification

Not trying to scare you away from it entirely or anything. Like I said I love tuna; just wanted to make sure you're aware that it's not something you want to be eating every other day.

WobblyPossum
04-02-2011, 07:23 PM
I started running again and lift weights three times a week. Once summer hits, I'm going to start swimming as well.

Joe in PNG
04-02-2011, 07:54 PM
It's not a matter of fresh vs canned so much as the fact that tuna is relatively high on the food chain, and end up with higher concentrations of mercury in their bodies as it moves up the food chain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuna#Mercury_levels
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_in_fish#Biomagnification

Not trying to scare you away from it entirely or anything. Like I said I love tuna; just wanted to make sure you're aware that it's not something you want to be eating every other day.

It's a good thing I'm too lazy to cook up the tuna excepting on weekends anyway, so no problems there.

Gordon
04-04-2011, 02:20 AM
MMA/Boxing/BJJ 3 times a week, gym 3-5 times a week.

Like many, the thing holding me back was my unhealthy diet and no matter how hard I exercised I still wasn't feeling or looking like I should. Early last month I started paying attention to what and how much I was eating by using loseit.com . I've gone from 204lb to 195lb so far and can feel the difference in mobility and speed. My aim is to get to around 187lb. I totally cut all soda and refined sugar, focused on protein, fruit, veggies and start every morning with oats. I try to do the 5-6 small meals during the day thing also. I still pig out on Sundays and eat whatever I want.

dookie1481
04-05-2011, 10:03 PM
I usually limit my tuna intake to one can/package per day.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/fish-intake-and-mercury.html

jslaker
04-05-2011, 10:14 PM
I usually limit my tuna intake to one can/package per day.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/fish-intake-and-mercury.html

I'm somewhat confused; your link seems to back me up on limiting intake to a couple of times a week.

dookie1481
04-05-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm somewhat confused; your link seems to back me up on limiting intake to a couple of times a week.

Wasn't trying to contradict anything, I was just posting an article I thought was interesting and possibly illuminating.

ETA: Lyle posted on his forum that he recommends no more than a can a day.

jslaker
04-06-2011, 02:17 AM
Wasn't trying to contradict anything, I was just posting an article I thought was interesting and possibly illuminating.

ETA: Lyle posted on his forum that he recommends no more than a can a day.

Gotcha. I think an interesting thing to take into account is that many of us on this forum are already flirting with heavy metal poisoning by way of shooting at indoor ranges; no need to tempt fate further with delicious tuna. :)

zRxz
04-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Monday - Wednesday - Friday: running intervals, miles, etc. at least 20 minutes.

Monday - Tuesday - Thursday - Friday: TRX suspension system, at least a half hour.

This program is based off of Will Brink's program for good all around fitness.

Push ups all the time, whenever I'm bored. Handstand push ups when I feel adventurous.

JHC
04-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Workouts 4-6 days/week. Diet blends the Warrior Diet and Paleo diet. Vit D-3 and ZMA at bedtime.
Results have rocked. At age 53, 5' 11" 170lbs.
Core of workouts:
Pullups/chinups (25% bodyweight tied to waist for 8)
Bench
Squats
Romanian deadlifts
Kettlebell swings
Pikes and windshield wipers
Swim, run, walk

WDW
04-11-2011, 12:34 AM
I switched to Coors Light from Budweiser

LittleLebowski
04-11-2011, 11:10 AM
I bike to the gym, swim, then bike to work. Every day of the work week period.

JDM
04-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Good stuff guys.

I've got some ideas to keep motivated and fresh. Thanks!!

Doc Amentler
04-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Crossfit 4 days a week supplemented by running and biking. Changed my running style to more of a barefoot style landing on my forefoot rather than my heel. All knee problems left the building when I did this. I also recently changed to the Paleo diet and feel great.

JHC
04-21-2011, 05:42 AM
I'm just learning about this from a few blogs by Kyle DeFoor. What shoes do you like for tihs type of running. I think I've tended to run pretty flat all these years; never had knee issues but always used the heavily padded training shoes. Kyle liked the new Merrill flat in recent blog.

Jason
04-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Its all about food (you still enjoy), sleep, and exercise you enjoy.

I have been eating very healthy for the last three years. Mostly vegetables and fruit for calories, I get protein from Yogurt, Milk (lactose free organic), Kefir, some whey powder twice a day, lean meat (roast beef for lunch a few times a week), Tuna, eggs ect.

I have found it is actually easier to eat healthy all the time than to try and eat around being healthy while eating things that are sort of healthy but still heavily processed. IE: I stick to things with the least amount of ingredients (usually one), and we prepare most foods ourselves that need preparing. No snack bars (except on travel), no fast food, very little eating out. We go for junk food (like five guys) about once every two weeks or so when we feel like it. I never feel deprived and I feel good.

I weight train about three times a week pretty heavy but controlled weights, this I enjoy immensely. Built around multi-joint execises like the squat, deadlift, bench press, dip, bent over dumbell rows, weighted chins, leg press). When I am not in weight training mode I revert to twice a week abreviated routines and throw in high intensity rowing for 15 minutes with 5 minutes of that at 85% of max heart rate. That keeps my heart in good condition.

I rarely drive a car, walk and metro to work.

I sleep 8 hours or more a day, without exception.

I am seeing a chiropractor for what I would consider MINOR issues, but its good to take care of these things before they get worse.

Thats it, I keep it simple, and ejoyable, therefore repeatable. Also, it helps that my wife is fully on board. Just one more thing on simplicity, its so easy to only eat healthy (with some rare junk food every once in a while) than it is to push yourself to eat healthy but with lots of expressions thrown in, as if that will keep you sane. Once you switch to a healthy diet and stay on it for a while it just becomes part of your life. What could be easier?

orionz06
04-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Back to biking to work, running a few nights a week and eating somewhat clean. I still find that I do not eat enough to lose weight, but the biking has picked up and so has the appetite. I will probably map out a better diet this weekend to see if I can pick up some calories.

Doc Amentler
04-21-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm just learning about this from a few blogs by Kyle DeFoor. What shoes do you like for tihs type of running. I think I've tended to run pretty flat all these years; never had knee issues but always used the heavily padded training shoes. Kyle liked the new Merrill flat in recent blog. was not

JHC, I use the New Balance Minimus shoe. I tried out the Merrill, but it did not feel as good on my foot. Some of those that I train with use the Vibram Five Fingers and swear by them.

orionz06
04-21-2011, 12:01 PM
was not

JHC, I use the New Balance Minimus shoe. I tried out the Merrill, but it did not feel as good on my foot. Some of those that I train with use the Vibram Five Fingers and swear by them.

I have the NB Minimus Trail and love them. I got them because my VFF KSO's were a bit too light for the terrain I intend to run on. As an overweight guy who can kind of bike and run, they save my knees. Totally worth a look.

mnealtx
04-21-2011, 03:15 PM
The KSO Treks, Bikila and Komodsport all have a bit thicker sole than the "original" KSO.

orionz06
04-21-2011, 03:16 PM
The KSO Treks, Bikila and Komodsport all have a bit thicker sole than the "original" KSO.

Correct. I want a pair of Komdos, but chose the Minimus because I can wear them to work without strange looks.

mnealtx
04-21-2011, 03:19 PM
I've got a pair of the Treks in brown, so I understand where you're coming from. That said, most folks don't really seem to notice them unless the color catches their eye.

seabiscuit
04-21-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm just learning about this from a few blogs by Kyle DeFoor. What shoes do you like for this type of running? I think I've tended to run pretty flat all these years; never had knee issues but always used the heavily padded training shoes. Kyle liked the new Merrell flat in a recent blog.

I love my Soft Star RunAmocs (http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=43) (lite version for road running, smooth leather with 5mm trail sole for trails). They're moccasins hand-made for running by a small company in Oregon. I've also done a marathon in these huarache sandals (http://invisibleshoe.com/). The Tarahumara indians of Mexico are known to run 50-100 miles per day in shoes like these. They're simple, cheap, and durable.

JHC
04-21-2011, 05:09 PM
I love my Soft Star RunAmocs (http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=43) (lite version for road running, smooth leather with 5mm trail sole for trails). They're moccasins hand-made for running by a small company in Oregon. I've also done a marathon in these huarache sandals (http://invisibleshoe.com/). The Tarahumara indians of Mexico are known to run 50-100 miles per day in shoes like these. They're simple, cheap, and durable.

Hmm. Thanks! I see where the user name comes from! ;)

LittleLebowski
04-21-2011, 05:11 PM

Not hating but this totally reminds me of a certain South Park episode :D