PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45 Extended Mag Question

BigT
11-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Does anyone know if the giant extension on the 14 round M&P 45 mags are necessary to stop over insertion, or if its just for "cosmetics"? I see the 10-8 floorplate for the 14 round mags has an extension that looks like its there to stop over insertion. Any issues running the full size mags in any of the compacts?

MichaelD
11-27-2012, 02:39 PM
My only experience is with my M&P9c, but I use full-size M&P9 mags in it without any extensions and have no problems at all with overinsertion. I imagine the M&P45c wouldn't be any different.

JMS
11-28-2012, 03:08 PM
If by "cosmetics," you mean "look as freakin' ridicuous as possible," I think you've got it. ;)

If the impetus of your question is whether or not you can use a 10-round standard M&P45 magazine in a M&P45c with confidence, you can. I encountered no more of an over-insertion problem with them than there is when using full-size Glock mags in a compact/subcompact. Same with the M&P 9mm variants, as MichaelD stated.

If the impetus of your question is whether or not you can reduce the oversized polymer abortion on the end of a 14-round M&P45 magazine and suffer no ill effects, you can. I never used the 10-8 baseplates, opting to grind the dog-snot out of the polymer to reduce girth and make them ACTUALLY managable during reloads.