PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter pilot makes someone's day

SecondsCount
11-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Pilot rescues RC plane from the trees. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ElGt6iAYw&feature=g-vrec)

Some NSFW language.

dbateman
11-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Man thats a good vid.

hehe imagine sitting there flying your model plane crashing it into trees, you sitting there scratching your head wondering how the hell you are going to get it down and the next min some crazy bastard in a bird comes along and plucks it out of the top of the tree.

Thanks for sharing it.

NETim
11-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Does he rescue downed spy drones too?

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Flying-Camera-From-Animal-Rights-Group-Shot-Down-at-Pigeon-Shoot-Cops-179983451.html

GJM
11-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Without a doubt, from my perspective as an ATP rated helicopter pilot, one of the dumbest helicopter flying displays I have seen. The consequences of an engine failure, getting a skid caught in the tree, having a tail rotor or main rotor strike in the trees, getting the RC aircraft in the rotor system, or allowing that many people to approach the helicopter with rotors turning would likely get this guy charged with a violation of section 91.13, careless and reckless operation, when the video gets to the FAA.

Shellback
11-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Without a doubt, from my perspective as an ATP rated helicopter pilot, one of the dumbest helicopter flying displays I have seen. The consequences of an engine failure, getting a skid caught in the tree, having a tail rotor or main rotor strike in the trees, getting the RC aircraft in the rotor system, or allowing that many people to approach the helicopter with rotors turning would likely get this guy charged with a violation of section 91.13, careless and reckless operation, when the video gets to the FAA.

Same train of thought I had. My dad's owned his own private plane, flew a UH-1 as a Warrant in the Army and retired from ATC a couple of years ago so I've been around fixed and rotary guys all my life. I was involved in flight deck operations quite a bit in the USN as an AMS and I can tell you anyone performing this kind of stunt around any of the pilots I know would have their ass handed to them!

On the one hand it was a nice thing to do but I don't think trying to impress your student with stunts like this is appropriate.

TGS
11-24-2012, 01:13 PM
I thought it was really cool.

At the same time, I thought it would be a shitty reason to die for. I only ever flew single engine props, never a helo, but my god the potential for disaster was pretty high there.

Risk and severity in more "cheeky" activities is mitigated by following certain principles, and creating safety nets for yourself; not by relying on how awesome your skills are.