PDA

View Full Version : Justice, social networking style

EMC
11-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Another case of facebook justice:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/11/20/facebook-photo-of-plymouth-woman-at-tomb-of-the-unknowns-sparks-outrage/

If she doesn't lose her job over this I'll be surprised.

jetfire
11-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Protip: don't post dumb shit in public on facebook.

Ben B.
11-20-2012, 10:31 PM
These twits probably didn't mean any disrespect to the Unknown- which just showcases their complete obliviousness and stupidity. Malice or not, this is the kind of stupid that should hurt.

Not that they'd ever go back again, but a lifetime banishment from the Tomb would be icing on the cake.

EMC
11-20-2012, 10:45 PM
It's a shame that the guards didn't have a chance to reprimand them like they do in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYCPbP_a46I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

RoyGBiv
11-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Hanlon's Razor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor)

F-Trooper05
11-21-2012, 02:49 AM
It's a shame that the guards didn't have a chance to reprimand them like they do in this video:

Holly shit, that video is BA.

Tamara
11-21-2012, 09:34 AM
These twits probably didn't mean any disrespect to the Unknown- which just showcases their complete obliviousness and stupidity. Malice or not, this is the kind of stupid that should hurt.

+1

(...and I totally had not read this thread before this morning's blog post.)

Zhurdan
11-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Holly shit, that video is BA.

It is an impressive video. Unfortunate that those incidents ever happened, but impressive.

Now, I wonder what people think about when folks try and mess with the Royal Guard in England? (yes, I realize its far different than the Unknown Soldiers Tomb, but it still seems disrespectful to me)

orionz06
11-21-2012, 10:05 AM
I wonder if the same people who were up in arms over this are the same ones to shoot at Obama targets and refer to him in a racist manner. Because respectful.

Tamara
11-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I wonder if the same people who were up in arms over this are the same ones to shoot at Obama targets and refer to him in a racist manner. Because respectful.

It goes beyond respectful, it's simple manners. It's what keeps us from actually flinging poo at each other.

“A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot...”

EMC
11-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Lindsay's Dad on the today show apologizing in her behalf:

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/49915220/#49915220

Kyle Reese
11-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Lindsay's Dad on the today show apologizing in her behalf:

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/49915220/#49915220

She's a big girl. She should be making the apology.

Too many American families have buried sons and daughters at ANC in the last decade for this to just blow over, IMHO.

TGS
11-21-2012, 11:55 AM

"the people" who are angry over this, um, no. At least not any of my friends or I. I guess I can't speak for anyone else in this thread, or most of America though.

I grew up with a guy who's now a news anchor in Philly. When I found out about this, I wrote a professional letter to various persons at LIFE, and then let my contact in Philly know about the story. They ended up airing it, thanked me for telling them about it and expressed similar disbelief and outrage. I don't imagine his news office is full of Obama-target shooters. That sounds more like the peanut gallery of P-F.com more than anywhere else I frequent, actually.

You know them grassroots veterans organizations (where this story first got covered). Just a bunch of disrespectful racists that shoot at Obama targets.

orionz06
11-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Up in arms != mad != thinking she did something really bad/stupid

I am referring to the over the top responses like posting her home address and so on.

Too much Internet white knight and trying to out-moral someone else. Same thing happens when a celebrity dies. There just happens to be a lot more hypocrisy going on amongst Internet gun people this time.

SeriousStudent
11-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Many people seem to confuse freedom of speech, with freedom from responsibility.

What galls me, is that so many of the people buried in that cemetery died for her right to be a disrespectful idiot. Some of them were my friends and family members. Many of you likely can say the same, which is likely what inspired such a strong reaction.

NEPAKevin
11-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Arlington National Cemetery is such a hallowed place that I don't know how any normal person would not feel the enormity of what it represents. Seeing all the grave markers in perfect order as far a the eye can see is just a humbling experience. While this may not be in the same order of disrespect that was shown by the animals who spit on the soldiers returning from Viet Nam, it is in the same category.

TGS
11-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Arlington National Cemetery is such a hallowed place that I don't know how any normal person would not feel the enormity of what it represents. Seeing all the grave markers in perfect order as far a the eye can see is just a humbling experience.

You make a good point.

I don't know about all of you, but if you haven't been: go. Arlington National Cemetery is so moving yet peaceful and serene that it's pretty surreal. Even if you're against the war, against "the establishment" or anti-authority......what she did is just not something any normal human being would do at Arlington National Cemetery. People don't walk around there and randomly think of acting like an asshat.

It's just not what goes through anyone's mind at that location.

jkm
11-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Want to 'exercise your feedom', and act like a knucklehead? Fine, live with the consequences. She crossed the line of decency, and I hope she's driven from her neighborhood.

JConn
11-21-2012, 04:52 PM
You would be amazed at some of the things people do at the tomb during ceremonies. The tomb guards do not yell anymore unless there is a serious threat but they do not put up with bull. I know personally I've had people talking and cell phones going off while I was playing taps. In regards the picture, if you don't find that offensive then you have no understand of what the tomb is all about. Many people leave in tears and most everyone is moved by the respectful and solemn nature of the ceremonies that take place there.

JHC
11-21-2012, 08:09 PM

A long time friend of mine was in this unit back in the '80's. At that time, some kook took it much further and went where he didn't belong and showed a knife when confronted. He got smashed in the face a few times with that knuckle guard (hilt?) of an Old Guard saber. Pretty major fractures of cheekbones and jaw. They take their sacred very seriously. In the unit that Old Guard member became an internal legend. He also had a very legit career in early SOCOM too IIRC the strory.

TGS
11-21-2012, 09:48 PM
FWIW, both her and the one who took the photo were fired today.

JConn
11-21-2012, 10:08 PM
A long time friend of mine was in this unit back in the '80's. At that time, some kook took it much further and went where he didn't belong and showed a knife when confronted. He got smashed in the face a few times with that knuckle guard (hilt?) of an Old Guard saber. Pretty major fractures of cheekbones and jaw. They take their sacred very seriously. In the unit that Old Guard member became an internal legend. He also had a very legit career in early SOCOM too IIRC the strory.

They had the log book from that day on display in the quarters for a while...cool story.

Tamara
11-22-2012, 10:41 AM
FWIW, both her and the one who took the photo were fired today.

When you work for a charity which is dependent on the public's goodwill for donations, it does not behoove one to go and do something which can damage that goodwill in a public fashion.

Even if her boss had been personally sympathetic, she was going to get tossed out of the sleigh.

Kyle Reese
11-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...