PDA

View Full Version : Have the bug for a 22

Nephrology
04-21-2024, 10:39 AM
So since starting residency life has been busy. Not shooting nearly as often as I used to and when I do I typically patronize the indoor range I joined about a year ago to supplement my membership to a much larger (and farther away) outdoor range.

Since being confined to handguns only (and now being fully moved over to dots), I am re-discovering how much I like shooting pistols. Especially my .22 and especially with a suppressor. It's just silly fun and way more affordable too. Not in any rush but I think my next gun purchase will be another 22 pistol (and probably a second 22 silencer that I can clean ultrasonically unlike my Warlock 2)

Currently have a MkII 22/45 that I had a gunsmith thread for a silencer and mount a 407k on. I'm happy enough with the 22/45 but open to other options. Don't really want anything that doesn't come from the factory without a threaded barrel and a means to install a red dot sight.

Have looked at Ruger and Browning options - any other .22 pistols worth considering? Is the Glock 40 any good?

HeavyDuty
04-21-2024, 10:59 AM
So since starting residency life has been busy. Not shooting nearly as often as I used to and when I do I typically patronize the indoor range I joined about a year ago to supplement my membership to a much larger (and farther away) outdoor range.

Since being confined to handguns only (and now being fully moved over to dots), I am re-discovering how much I like shooting pistols. Especially my .22 and especially with a suppressor. It's just silly fun and way more affordable too. Not in any rush but I think my next gun purchase will be another 22 pistol (and probably a second 22 silencer that I can clean ultrasonically unlike my Warlock 2)

Currently have a MkII 22/45 that I had a gunsmith thread for a silencer and mount a 407k on. I'm happy enough with the 22/45 but open to other options. Don't really want anything that doesn't come from the factory without a threaded barrel and a means to install a red dot sight.

Have looked at Ruger and Browning options - any other .22 pistols worth considering? Is the Glock 40 any good?

I picked up one of the Silencer Shop Ruger 40179s with a DA Mask - it’s silly accurate and fun. I haven’t done anything to the action yet, it will probably get at least partial Volquartsen stuff like my other Rugers.

https://ruger.com/products/markIV2245Tactical/specSheets/40179.html

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=114246&d=1705881300.jpg

Doc_Glock
04-21-2024, 11:02 AM
I am super happy with my suppressed Glock 44.

Grouse870
04-21-2024, 11:55 AM
Taurus tx22 compact. Is absolutely awesome. Optic cut, comes with an adapter for a suppressor, 13 round mags and can take the full size 16 round mags. I love mine.

Coal Train
04-21-2024, 12:01 PM
Not sure on your budget but my Volquartsen Black Mamba has a stupid name but it is easily my most fun pistol to shoot. My only complaint (other than the price) is the magazine only holding 10 rounds.

fatdog
04-21-2024, 12:26 PM
Mine have all been ammo picky but the Advantage Arms conversions for Glocks have worked to scratch every rimfire pistol itch I get from time to time. No dots, not sure if they have worked that out yet.

Chefdog
04-21-2024, 01:26 PM
P322 fits the bill. Threaded barrel, cut for Holosun K footprint. Mine has a little over 800rds so far, and is fairly reliable, but sensitive to how the mags are loaded. If you don’t take your time ensuring the rounds are oriented properly you can get ftf pretty easily. It’s very accurate and big enough that it doesn’t feel like a toy, but light and small enough that my kids can shoot it easily. I’d trade the 20rd mags for less capacity ones that were more forgiving, but it’s still a pretty good gun.

CleverNickname
04-21-2024, 02:31 PM
P322 fits the bill. Threaded barrel, cut for Holosun K footprint. Mine has a little over 800rds so far, and is fairly reliable, but sensitive to how the mags are loaded. If you don’t take your time ensuring the rounds are oriented properly you can get ftf pretty easily. It’s very accurate and big enough that it doesn’t feel like a toy, but light and small enough that my kids can shoot it easily. I’d trade the 20rd mags for less capacity ones that were more forgiving, but it’s still a pretty good gun.
Ditto. I got a 322 as a staff raffle prize at a USPSA match I worked last year. I was planning on selling it, but after shooting it I found it's a pretty good gun so I kept it. More reliable than the G44 I used to own, and it has a threaded barrel by default (which is extra on the G44) and can mount an optic (which the G44 can't).

Crusader
04-21-2024, 07:41 PM
Taurus tx22 compact. Is absolutely awesome. Optic cut, comes with an adapter for a suppressor, 13 round mags and can take the full size 16 round mags. I love mine.

Agree perfect for your wants and needs and just a great reliable shooter, got close to 5000 through mine and zero stoppages that were not due to faulty ammo and I shoot cheap bulk 22 with it.

Sero Sed Serio
04-21-2024, 08:37 PM
I picked up one of the Silencer Shop Ruger 40179s with a DA Mask - it’s silly accurate and fun. I haven’t done anything to the action yet, it will probably get at least partial Volquartsen stuff like my other Rugers.

https://ruger.com/products/markIV2245Tactical/specSheets/40179.html

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=114246&d=1705881300.jpg

I’m on about month 7 of my wait for my Mask, but once I get it I’ll have a very similar setup.

Nephrology
04-21-2024, 08:46 PM
Not sure on your budget but my Volquartsen Black Mamba has a stupid name but it is easily my most fun pistol to shoot. My only complaint (other than the price) is the magazine only holding 10 rounds.

oh should have specfied. I think for pistols alone willing to get closer to a grand but preferably under. IDeally 500-750 but I'm in no rush, if theres a persuasive argument for saving for longer im all ears

Ditto. I got a 322 as a staff raffle prize at a USPSA match I worked last year. I was planning on selling it, but after shooting it I found it's a pretty good gun so I kept it. More reliable than the G44 I used to own, and it has a threaded barrel by default (which is extra on the G44) and can mount an optic (which the G44 can't).

All the models I'm seeing on SIG's website have flush non-threaded bbls. am I missing something?

CleverNickname
04-21-2024, 08:57 PM
All the models I'm seeing on SIG's website have flush non-threaded bbls. am I missing something?
There's an included adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZdZd4vDpfE

Oldherkpilot
04-22-2024, 05:36 AM
A buddy was at the range last week with a fellow doing side by side silencer comparisons. One of the pistols involved was an FN 502. First one I've seen but it was a nice shooter and won't break the bank.

RUT
04-22-2024, 06:31 AM
Another vote for the Taurus TX-22 Compact here.

TWR
04-22-2024, 07:14 AM
I have the Glock 44 suppressor ready pistol with a Gemtech Outback IID that I recently got back from having it updated to the monocore system since it broke the blast baffle and was a pain to clean all those baffles. Haven’t shot the new suppressor yet, busy weekend. But more on the pistol, it’s my third one and all 3 have been trouble free. First one I bought went well over 10,000 rounds and I just quit counting. Bought a spare and shot it quite a bit then had the red dot bug cause I was blind and couldn’t see irons. After looking at several options, I finally sold both of them and bought an AA slide cut for a red dot and it would not work with a HS 407C. Sent that back and picked up my current G44 after breaking down and getting real glasses that work for me.

I did put the Glock Performance Trigger in this one and after a rough go, it started working just fine and now it shoots more accurately much easier. I really like the G44.

I recently bought a Ruger MK IV 22/45 Lite and stuck a Sig Romeo5 on it along with a TK comp, trigger and blast baffle. I really like this one too. I’ve got about 1500 rounds on it and have had 2 dud rounds, other than those 2, it’s gone bang every time. I do recommend taking the factory rail off and loctiting the screws. The first SC match I shot with it, I noticed the rail was almost loose enough to fall off. I finished the match like that cause I was still hitting the plates dead center, everyone got a laugh but they were waiting for it to fly off there I’m sure.

One of the guys I shoot with has the TX22 and the Sig 322 both with dots and they both run good. I think any of the 4 are fine choices.

04-22-2024, 07:24 AM
The .22 Beretta Cheetah (87) is the class act to beat. The new 80X is not yet offered in .22 but that might be worth waiting for.

mmc45414
04-22-2024, 07:33 AM
I have no personal experience (am still Can-Curious) but I have always wondered about the TacSol integral suppressor (https://tacticalsol.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1425866&CAT=13302).

Suvorov
04-22-2024, 07:38 AM
My G44 has been amazingly reliable and is just a great little pistol. Not sure how it does with an optic though.

Le Français
04-22-2024, 07:44 AM
Is the Glock 40 any good?

I’ve been thinking about a G44 myself. Just don’t get a G40 (6” 10mm cannon) thinking it’s a .22!

Nephrology
04-22-2024, 07:50 AM
I’ve been thinking about a G44 myself. Just don’t get a G40 (6” 10mm cannon) thinking it’s a .22!

Haha, well I was close enough with the numbers

HeavyDuty
04-22-2024, 05:40 PM
Are any of the dedicated .22LR Beretta 92s an option?

Joe in PNG
04-22-2024, 05:48 PM
The new 80X is not yet offered in .22 but that might be worth waiting for.

Likewise.

Joe Mac
04-22-2024, 06:20 PM
My G44 has been totally reliable, nearing 1000 rounds. I have yet to clean it, just keep it lubed. Ammo has been CCI Mini Mag exclusively.

pangloss
04-22-2024, 07:39 PM
I have a Ruger MkII 22/45 and a Glock 44. I've got way more rounds through the 30 year old Ruger than the relatively new Glock 44, but I really like both of them. My G44 is not suppressor ready and I don't have a dot on it. The big draw from me was the similarity to the my G19s (which also are not suppress ready and don't have dots).

I looked at a Sig P322 with a dot on it from the factory, and that seems like the easy button if the threaded barrel adaptor thing works. I don't have any experience beyond handling a pistol in the store.

okie john
04-22-2024, 09:38 PM
Currently have a MkII 22/45 that I had a gunsmith thread for a silencer and mount a 407k on. I'm happy enough with the 22/45 but open to other options.

With this in mind, I'm not sure that I understand the question.

Buy a can and spend the rest on ammo. Test loads until you find one it shoots well, then buy a lifetime supply.

Okie John