PDA

View Full Version : Sigh.........

LittleLebowski
11-19-2012, 08:30 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/19/new-york-city-cops-reportedly-eye-8-link-in-deaths-3-shopkeepers/

The killings began on July 6, with the second slaying on Aug. 2. Cash was stolen in the first two killings, but nothing was taken in the most recent incident. The shooter appears to be well-trained, sources said.

“He could be some guy who has really done his homework. He may have read up on how to do this,” a law-enforcement source said. “Professionals sometimes use .22s, which make less noise and, because it has less firepower, it does a lot of internal damage.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/19/new-york-city-cops-reportedly-eye-8-link-in-deaths-3-shopkeepers/#ixzz2CfufZrX9

Kyle Reese
11-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Someone read too many Mack Bolan novels as a kid...

BaiHu
11-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Nah, man, you guys just don't understand. When I was a kid, there was a family seeking asylum from Iran and the assassins finally caught up to them my senior year in high school and they used 22s and they only shot them up their legs so that the 22 would ricochet and then they'd bleed out via the femoral artery and then the assassins drove away...that's the way a real assassin works, guys :rolleyes:

Actually, the above story was true. That happened in the town next to me and I was friends with the kid who's aunt and uncle were killed. However, that 22 story was the one that made the rounds back then and that was 1995. I guess this is based off the ol' Israeli Mossad Beretta 22 stories??

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/tactical-weapons/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/

I seriously know nothing about this other than stories, so I'm just piling on the stupidity. I'm willing to be educated by those in the know.

Tamara
11-19-2012, 10:40 AM
I always get my terminal ballistics information from the spokesdrone at the local cop shop. They know even more than the patrol officer I was chatting with at the coffee house!

Alaskapopo
11-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Lots of bad information out there passed on from generation to generation and no group is immune to it rather its cops, soldiers or Redneck Billy at the gravel pit. Most of the worst crap I have heard has been from gun store clerks trying to sell someone something. " all you need is this here .45 if the bullet hits him on the arm it will spin him around and knock him on his ass." Then a woman walks in and they start trying to sell her a .25 auto because its cute and its all she needs. (Same clerk) They don't care about anything other than making the sale.

I teach several classes in our citizens police accademy class and one of those is firearms. The type of questions you get is pretty eye opening. People wonder why we don't shoot guns out of peoples hands. They wonder why people get shot so many times etc. Lots of people get their information from Hollywood.

Sparks2112
11-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Lots of bad information out there passed on from generation to generation and no group is immune to it rather its cops, soldiers or Redneck Billy at the gravel pit. Most of the worst crap I have heard has been from gun store clerks trying to sell someone something. " all you need is this here .45 if the bullet hits him on the arm it will spin him around and knock him on his ass." Then a woman walks in and they start trying to sell her a .25 auto because its cute and its all she needs. (Same clerk) They don't care about anything other than making the sale.

I teach several classes in our citizens police accademy class and one of those is firearms. The type of questions you get is pretty eye opening. People wonder why we don't shoot guns out of peoples hands. They wonder why people get shot so many times etc. Lots of people get their information from Hollywood.

We aren't all that bad :(

WDW
11-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Stuff like this makes you wonder how true the stuff in medi is that we know nothing about. I mean, if they got something simple like this 100% wrong, what else have news organizations misreported. That's why I get my news exclusively from The Onion. It's so wrong that's it's actually probably right.

G60
11-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Stuff like this makes you wonder how true the stuff in medi is that we know nothing about. I mean, if they got something simple like this 100% wrong, what else have news organizations misreported.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/65213-briefly-stated-the-gell-mann-amnesia-effect-is-as-follows-you

Tamara
11-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Stuff like this makes you wonder how true the stuff in medi is that we know nothing about. I mean, if they got something simple like this 100% wrong, what else have news organizations misreported. That's why I get my news exclusively from The Onion. It's so wrong that's it's actually probably right.

G60 beat me to it. I found out that it's called "Gell-Mann Amnesia (http://staghounds.blogspot.com/2007/04/rape-trap.html)", and now I see it everywhere... :o

BobM
11-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Someone read too many Mack Bolan novels as a kid...

I remember those, I think he had a 460 weatherby as a "sniper rifle".