PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend money, lighter CCW

Crow Hunter
04-07-2024, 09:25 PM
I am looking for a 20 oz 'ish loaded option for occasional CCW duty when my normal 30 oz loaded is too heavy/bulky.

I think I have it narrowed down to a G43, G42, or a LCR.

I have been shooting Glocks in one form or another since getting my CCW in the late '90s.

My wife has a G42 that she likes and I am okay with.

I have never shot a G43 but I owned a g43x for a little while and I found it uncomfortable for extended practice.

I have never shot a LCR before but I have owned several Smith j-frames and they hurt my right hand thumb knuckle to shoot. Felt like a needle in the base of my thumb. I was always shooting 130 gr WWB, never wad cutters in both air weight and steel frame versions.

All of them have relatively similar capacity and similar weights.

I like the idea of the revolver as a "get off me" tool.

What is the advice of the group? What has worked for you in the past?

Jim Watson
04-07-2024, 09:37 PM
I have a G43 which is a handy hideout.
But the 25 rounds of GSSF Indoor Pocket division is about all the fun I want at a time.

G19Fan
04-07-2024, 10:07 PM
Have a g43 it is a great small gun. Would probably choose a g42 if starting over.

Personally pick a p365 over any of the above

MattyD380
04-08-2024, 12:02 AM
If you're looking at a G43 don't forget about the Walther PPS (M1 or M2). Very nice shooters. And everything I've gleaned suggests they're durable and reliable. I don't exactly use my guns hard, but neither of my PPSs have had any issues. I believe Walther had LE contracts in mind when they originally designed the pistol, back in the mid 2000-oughts, so... they're solid "professional feeling" little blasters. The Navy SEALs even bought a few batches of them, at one point.

The M2 is still available new, the M1... isn't. But they're basically the same gun except for the mag release and some slight differences in the striker assembly.

pangloss
04-08-2024, 12:24 AM
I vote G43. I can pocket carry mine with the right pants. However, the pistol becomes unpleasant to shoot after about 100 rounds. It's rare that I shoot more then 50 rounds per range session with that pistol now.

I agree that the PPS is worth a close look.

FNFAN
04-08-2024, 01:45 AM
If you're looking at a G43 don't forget about the Walther PPS (M1 or M2). Very nice shooters. And everything I've gleaned suggests they're durable and reliable. I don't exactly use my guns hard, but neither of my PPSs have had any issues. I believe Walther had LE contracts in mind when they originally designed the pistol, back in the mid 2000-oughts, so... they're solid "professional feeling" little blasters. The Navy SEALs even bought a few batches of them, at one point.

The M2 is still available new, the M1... isn't. But they're basically the same gun except for the mag release and some slight differences in the striker assembly.

I'd never heard about SEALS being consumers of the PPS. I thoroughly enjoy my M1 and it's the only striker pistol I've shot since retiring from a Glock shoppe. I had never noticed your hipstertactical.com. It looks well done and I plan to read the reviews. Thanks!

fatdog
04-08-2024, 01:55 AM
Shield, Shield plus from S&W should be in the mix, I found the PPS M1 to be totally reliable and the G43 was not in my hands. I always struggled with the G43 grip more than the shield or PPS. P365 is also a solid gun and I like the Wilson grip module.

Dov
04-08-2024, 04:03 AM
I am looking for a 20 oz 'ish loaded option for occasional CCW duty when my normal 30 oz loaded is too heavy/bulky.

I have been shooting Glocks in one form or another since getting my CCW in the late '90s.

My wife has a G42 that she likes and I am okay with.

I have never shot a G43 but I owned a g43x for a little while and I found it uncomfortable for extended practice.

I have never shot a LCR before but I have owned several Smith j-frames and they hurt my right hand thumb knuckle to shoot. Felt like a needle in the base of my thumb. I was always shooting 130 gr WWB, never wad cutters in both air weight and steel frame versions.

All of them have relatively similar capacity and similar weights.

I like the idea of the revolver as a "get off me" tool.

What is the advice of the group? What has worked for you in the past?

Take a hard look at the LCR in 327 Federal mag long thread here https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?59473-32-vs-38

Thread I started asking about 32 S&W Long (which work in 327 mag & 32 H&R mag revolvers) vs 380 https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?58209-32-S-amp-W-Long-Wadcutters-vs-380&p=1509309

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23305-32-H-amp-R-Magnum-thoughts

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?56990-32-S-amp-W-Long

also link to Lucky Gunner article linked in one of above threads https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/pocket-pistol-caliber-gel-test-results/#380ACP

eddied to add more links

Dov
04-08-2024, 04:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz_m4M8CAe0

Noah
04-08-2024, 05:52 AM
If you’ve always been a Glock person, I’m sure you’ll find the 43 or 42 more familiar than the LCR.

My dad has the 43, my wife and sister in law have 42s. The 42 is dramatically easier and more fun to shoot. I’d give up 9mm expansion in the 43 to get the drastically lower recoil of the 42 8 days a week.

Anecdotally, the 43 is also super tight loaded 6+1 or 8+1 with a Vickers. The 42 does not see a huge increase in friction loaded 6+1 or 8+1, so in practice for me, it’s actually 1 round higher capacity than the 43.

My wife’s 42 was my NPE and yardwork gun until I started doing Rhett/Demonstrated concepts deep carry with the 43X. Also carried the 42 for the week after my vasectomy last year. Talk about needing a light and easy carry!

With how easy it is to shoot, I feel better armed with the 42 than the 43.

flux
04-08-2024, 05:54 AM
I am a fan of the G42 as a very lightweight, easy to shoot gun for specific purposes.It handles very much like my full size Glocks. I have used it for occasional use but its primary use for me is for running, cycling. I have done marathons with it as well and can not complain(including a few Ultras). For my usage the weight difference between the G43 and G42 was significant enough to discount the G42. It replaced my LCP which even though was smaller, i found the G42 much easier to shoot under stress in classes including malfunction clearance, reloads etc.
Having said that, I do understand it is .380.

PTSDog
04-08-2024, 06:31 AM
Disclaimer, I put less rounds through any of my weapons than anyone on here probably. I focus on what I will carry and will remain proficient with out to 25 yards. Just not the same amount of rounds down range as when I was much younger. Damage in hands has reduced my grip strength to the point that I need the pinky for that extra kick in shooting now. I still practice drawing from holster and dry firing nightly. But range time is a short once a week outing of maybe 20/25 rounds. It’s all my hands can handle. So take what I say for what it’s worth.

From the three you mentioned, I like the G43 as a belt option. I think the G43 is too heavy for my pockets, but I did make it work when I would carry in a NPE at work (cause my orange apron would help hide it.) due to longer shots would be needed. My G43 wears a grip sleeve for added bulk. The LCR is my second choice, namely the 357mag version, due to the extra weight and it just seemed to handle better for me than the lighter 38 version. Again, for belt carry. The LCR’s stock grip is great. I could never get a secure grip with the boot grip a lot on here really like. Have used the Hamre Forged grip and that would be my recommendation. Not sure if I spelled that right.

Hard to pass on the G42, it’s a doable pocket pistol if you have the pockets for it. It doesn’t draw well from my pockets. It’s a wonderful belt pistol, you barely know it’s there due to such a low weight. I have carried mine in a Detective Shoulder Holster for traveling and in the winter. Also have a couple of ankle holsters for it. It’s only failing for me is it’s so small, I have to put a hogue grip on it to keep it from moving around, even though it a very light recoiling pistol. It’s not the recoil, but it has caused a malfunction but it’s user error I admit. Same with the 365s, they just bounce around in my hand and never felt secure enough to not have malfunctions cause by my weak grip. I might try to layer grip tape on one side and the back of the G42, when I give it another chance because let’s be real here it’s a great pistol.

For “also runs”, hard to pass on the 642/442 as a get off me weapon. A change of grips might help or extra material on the back strap with wrap on it. Both helped me, as did using wad cutters. Someone smarter than me said, “nothing draws like a j frame from a pocket,” and it’s true.

One thing I will say about the G43/G42, I swapped out their magazine release for a Tango Down low profile one and it’s the first time I NEVER had a magazine release in my pocket or when carrying IWB. Amazing stuff and worth it to me.

Good luck!
Jerry

Stephanie B
04-08-2024, 06:41 AM
Haven't yet gotten my hands on one, but a 432/632UC seems to hit the sweet spot for a light CCW gun. Six shots, reasonably effective rounds are available, capable of being carried in and shot from a pocket.

camsdaddy
04-08-2024, 06:54 AM
Haven't yet gotten my hands on one, but a 432/632UC seems to hit the sweet spot for a light CCW gun. Six shots, reasonably effective rounds are available, capable of being carried in and shot from a pocket.

The only downside I see to the 432 is ammo availability. The 32 is very tempting with lower recoil and additional round. I may eventually give in and just buy the components needed to add a caliber to reload. Currently 9 and 38 make life simple.

Up1911Fan
04-08-2024, 07:16 AM
I strongly prefer a snub for the small gun role. Both the J-Frame and LCR are great. I used a pair of LCR's in 327 ( loaded with 32Long) for my small gun needs for a couple years. The Hamre Forge grips are phenomenal for that gun. I've since gone back to using just J-Frames as I consolidated some of my defensive equipment. The availability of CT Lasergrips and not having 2 sets of snub holsters simplified things for me.

Coal Train
04-08-2024, 07:47 AM
If you did not care for the G43X you will not like the G43. I found mine to be punishing and accuracy was a challenge. A G48 is noticeably more comfortable and more accurate in my hands than a G43

An LCR might be slightly more comfortable to shoot than a J-frame but it is noticeably more challenging to pocket carry. After trial and error over the years I have found that J-frames work best for me with a modified Lost River grip mod (Limbsaver archery strip + hockey tape) loaded with either 110 grain Hornady or 148 grain wadcutters. The crimson trace grips help with accuracy. The 642 is "fine" to shoot. At some point I am going to Dremel the cylinder latch on my 342 as it beats my thumb like my thumb owes it money. The 43C with the Apex kit is great fun to shoot, super easy to carry, and I suppose is better than no-gun. Minka is my preferred holster for pocket carry.

I would like to try one of the new "ultimate" j-frames in .32 once the prices settle down.

ARC04
04-08-2024, 07:54 AM
G43 has my vote !

Crow Hunter
04-08-2024, 09:12 AM
My area has gotten noticeably more dangerous of late. I am in a relatively rural area but not far enough, unfortunately. My G19 is great when I have a belt and have time to get the holster on and situated.

I don't always dress in a way that I can carry like that. Particularly when I take a walk down the road, which I do almost every day for exercise or if I go outside for a little while to do something and I am not wearing jeans.

Something lighter that I could clip onto my pants would be better than the G19 in the house or the machete in the garage.

I appreciate the ideas.

I an not set on any of the options other than the weight. 20 Oz or less seems to be a sweet spot for that type of carry for me personally. My wife's G42 seems to work okay, but I wonder if a snub wouldn't be better. If I can get one that doesn't feel like I am holding the back end of a wasp when I pull the trigger.😂

BobM
04-08-2024, 09:19 AM
My area has gotten noticeably more dangerous of late. I am in a relatively rural area but not far enough, unfortunately. My G19 is great when I have a belt and have time to get the holster on and situated.

I don't always dress in a way that I can carry like that. Particularly when I take a walk down the road, which I do almost every day for exercise or if I go outside for a little while to do something and I am not wearing jeans.

Something lighter that I could clip onto my pants would be better than the G19 in the house or the machete in the garage.

I appreciate the ideas.

I an not set on any of the options other than the weight. 20 Oz or less seems to be a sweet spot for that type of carry for me personally. My wife's G42 seems to work okay, but I wonder if a snub wouldn't be better. If I can get one that doesn't feel like I am holding the back end of a wasp when I pull the trigger.😂
How about an Enigma Express for the Glock 19? I like it for the type of carry you’re describing.

GJM
04-08-2024, 09:40 AM
Unless you have a specific reason, the answer to "what" mid size is almost always a Gen 5 19 MOS, and to what slimline is almost always some flavor of a 365 (except a 365 in .380).

Crow Hunter
04-08-2024, 09:48 AM
How about an Enigma Express for the Glock 19? I like it for the type of carry you’re describing.

I don't know. Is it something that I could put on and take off relatively quickly? I don't have any experience with any of the enigma holsters.

Crow Hunter
04-08-2024, 09:52 AM
Unless you have a specific reason, the answer to "what" mid size is almost always a Gen 5 19 MOS, and to what slimline is almost always some flavor of a 365 (except a 365 in .380).

I have thought off an on about giving the sig P365/XL a whirl but haven't tried it yet. I have been hesitant due to my experience with the G43X which I found unpleasant to shoot for more than 50 rnds and a single go. I figured the P365 would be similar based on recoil velocity calculations.

psalms144.1
04-08-2024, 10:03 AM
I've owned the G43, G43X, G42, Hellcat, all non-comped versions of the P365, LCPs, LCP Max's, P3ATs, several LCRs, and both steel and alloy J-frames. I currently only own the P365 series.

I find the G43 to be very snappy and squirmy in recoil. There's basically no texture on those grips, for reasons unknown to man or beast. The G43X was only marginally better due to it's longer grip. Neither of them were easy to pocket carry, due to overall size. The G42 would jam 40-50% of the time when my wife shot it, because she just couldn't get a firm enough grip on it (worked fine for me). So, for me, the Glock slim lines are all hard passes.

The Hellcat was a horror show - terrible trigger, terrible reliability, had to go back to the factory twice before it would run well enough that I felt comfortable selling it. HARD pass.

The Ruger LCP is surprisingly shootable and reliable, but capacity challenged and doesn't lock back on empty. BUT, it's a reasonable "get off me" 7-10 yard gun. The two LCP Max's I've owned were both problematic on reliability (both needed to go back to the factory), both shot VERY far off factory sights (like 6-8" low at 10 yards), and gave a lot of trigger slap. Both went down the road.

The LCRs were awesome revolvers, reliable, lightweight with good triggers out of the box and decent (not great) sights. Recoil with anything but wadcutters and low-recoiling JHPs was NOT fun, and I've had lots of time with round guns. Of note, the only version of the LCP that's really light weight is the 38 - the 9mm and any Magnum versions are significantly heavier. LCRs, for reasons I can't fathom, are not well supported with accessories - specifically non-HKS "twist" style speed loaders. I STRONGLY prefer the Safariland style "push till it pops" speed loaders, which don't really exist for the LCRs.

With some notable exceptions, none of the J-frames are available with replaceable front sights, and all but limited editions have simple "trough" rear sights. Their triggers are heavier and, unfortunately frequently "grittier" than the LCRs. They're ever so slightly more svelte than the LCR, but heavier. They have better options on accessories. Steel J-frames are going to bust your weight target by a stretch.

Either round-gun option is going to require a lot of "retraining" with regard to grip, trigger action, and especially reloading.

For ME, the P365 is the pick of the litter. The original small P365 is smaller in every dimension than the G43, with significantly better capacity. I carry mine in an Alabama Holster pocket holster in my 5.11 shorts with no problem. The XL, for me, is the "sweet spot" between size/weight for concealment and shooting performance. It comes in JUST over your weight limit (20.7) ounces, but I think that's worth the cost of admission. All of the current P365s are optics ready from the factory, and Holosun's coming-to-market "mini" SCS is going to provide a really good enclosed carry optic option (the current EPS Compact is good as well).

I agree that the new "UC" J-frames are attractive - good sights, better trigger, available in 38 or 32. But, for me, except for winter coat pocket carry, I don't see the advantage of the revolver over the P365, given capacity, shootability, and handling advantages of the auto.

Sorry for the novel, hopefully this will help your process.

psalms144.1
04-08-2024, 10:06 AM
I have thought off an on about giving the sig P365/XL a whirl but haven't tried it yet. I have been hesitant due to my experience with the G43X which I found unpleasant to shoot for more than 50 rnds and a single go. I figured the P365 would be similar based on recoil velocity calculations.We were typing across each other.

Bottom line - no pistol is immune to physics. The smaller/lighter you go (unless you dramatically reduce chambering), the more felt recoil you're going to experience. For ME, the P365 recoils "less" than the G43, and the P365XL recoils "less" than the G43X.

BUT, I don't take either of those pistols to the range for "fun." A couple of magazines to confirm sights and keep familiarity with handling, and then I switch to something "fun" like a 2011 or .22...

KevH
04-08-2024, 10:21 AM
I never thought I would rely on 380 ACP for anything, but the Glock 42 changed that.

I owned an early one and it would hiccup occasionally. On the suggestion of someone I trust I bought a more recent production one.

It is the smallest, slimmest, lightest when loaded, most accurate little gun I have ever shot.

I've also owned two Glock 43's in the past. While they might look the same, the newer G42 is leaps and bounds a better gun.

A S&W 442 was my go-everywhere "compromise" gun for over 15 years.

My Glock 42, loaded with Hornady XTP, took its place last January.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-08-2024, 10:29 AM
My G42 is going to a short range, small carry match in a couple of weeks. It was originally a jamming horror, but went back to the shop. Been ok for a few outings now. It alternated between an original 432. That used to be a cool gun but with the new ones - obsolescent but I have other expenses before getting an upgrade for a pocket gun.

Totem Polar
04-08-2024, 10:52 AM

…What has worked for you in the past?

I’ve owned multiple copies of all three of those guns. As a tangential point of interest, I’ve shot both the 43 and the 42 at separate ECQC courses over the years, along with a J-frame, so, sort of equivalent.

BLUF: If I could only keep one, it would be the G42. IMHO, the whole point of having a small, NPE gun is to have a small NPE gun. Otherwise, life already gave us the G26, let alone a plethora of compact service gats.

In my hands, all but the first runs of the G42 have been very reliable, insanely accurate, and crazy easy to shoot. Plus, it disappears in a good concealment rig, and weighs little, by way of comparison.

The 43 and LCR are both much less fun to shoot, as others note, and FWIW. I agree that the 43’s margins are razor thin for reliability; new mags, compromised grip, the weather, if you woke up one the wrong side of the bed… for some insane reason, I’ve bought 3 of those things over the years (and sold the first two, because, not fun; razor’s edge of reliability) and they all need favorable conditions (eg. Square range, firm grip) to be considered G-reliable.

I don’t think I’d recommend the 42 as an only gun, but if one is specifically looking for a hideout option that actually performs, history has been surprisingly kind to the G42 over the last decade—possibly more so than history will be kind to the 43/43x iterations.

For the moment, it appears that the LCR has been eclipsed by those nifty Lipsey run 4 and 6xx guns—especially the 32 versions.

I really didn’t like shooting the LCR, and this is coming from a guy who A, had no issues running a 43 for a weekend class, and B, has shot 10s of K rounds through J-frames over the years.

Anyways, I ramble. G42 or one of the new hotness guns like the 432UC or that little Sig that everyone else seems to like. JMO.

psalms144.1
04-08-2024, 11:04 AM
An honest question for those who have G42s that run - is it THAT much more shootable over, say, an LCP? I'm looking for an uber concealable pocket rocket for multiple weddings in NPEs this summer/fall, and I'm worried that the G42 will be "bigger" enough in the pocket that it will be more noticeable. I'm thinking of something for Craig's "PCP" application, and would just get a P32, but I'm f'ing cheap and hate buying expensive, hard to find ammo...

Noah
04-08-2024, 11:19 AM
An honest question for those who have G42s that run - is it THAT much more shootable over, say, an LCP? I'm looking for an uber concealable pocket rocket for multiple weddings in NPEs this summer/fall, and I'm worried that the G42 will be "bigger" enough in the pocket that it will be more noticeable. I'm thinking of something for Craig's "PCP" application, and would just get a P32, but I'm f'ing cheap and hate buying expensive, hard to find ammo...

Not an LCP, but a Bodyguard 380 is incredibly snappy/ slightly painful where a G42 is closer to shooting a 22 or 380 EZ.

I like going from full size G19/17 to G42 because they can be shot at a similar cadence with minimal effort. A G43 or smaller pocket 380 than a 42, not so much.

Crow Hunter
04-08-2024, 11:22 AM

I can't carry my wife's G42 I an Aholster in my Wrangler jeans without it looking like I have something really suspicious (gun) in my pocket.

I am 5'11" and around 160lbs. I wear 34" waist pants so i can IWB a G19 comfortably, but technically I should wear a 32" according to my wife and all my dress up clothes reflect her choices. 😁

That is my other reason for getting something lighter and thinner that won't be as noticeable when we go places I have to dress nicely for.🤮

Totem Polar
04-08-2024, 11:27 AM

I’m 5’10” and (relatively) thin build. An LCP is just enough smaller that it’s another level of concealment on my build. I can’t get away with pocket carry of a 42. It’s most def legally concealed, and good enough for running errands, but too intuitively “off” to work in a daily environment with close co-workers—or anywhere beyond casual exposure to asleep at the switch public citizens. So there’s that.

As to shootability, with the caveat that OMMV, I find the 42 can most def be held to a higher performance standard than the little LCP, and it’s waaaaay more fun to shoot.

If I was possessed of FU money, I’d own a nice A-frame cabin somewhere in the middle of nowhere, and I’d roll out of bed each morning with a G42 and a bucket of .380 ball to shoot tennis balls, orange reactive targets, and dirt clods all over the back yard—until my wife threatened me with divorce.

I’d pay someone else to shoot my LCP for me.
:D

(Just kidding on the LCP… sort of)

MattyD380
04-08-2024, 11:30 AM
I'd never heard about SEALS being consumers of the PPS. I thoroughly enjoy my M1 and it's the only striker pistol I've shot since retiring from a Glock shoppe. I had never noticed your hipstertactical.com. It looks well done and I plan to read the reviews. Thanks!

Thanks so much, my friend! Appreciate the kind words. Hopefully you find the content entertaining... and informative.

This link references an article from 2012 about Navy SEALs carrying the PPS: https://defensereview.com/walther-pps-police-pistol-slim-single-stack-striker-fired-9mm-compact-pistol-for-concealed-carry-ccw-applications-and-covert-missionsoperations/

It's my understanding that SEALs acquire and carry whatever guns they want... so we're not talking, like, a "standard-issue" SEAL pistol, per se. But, clearly, some SEALs liked the PPS and carried it. Which, I think, is a decent endorsement.

"I'm not a Navy SEAL--but I did carry a Walther PPS last night."

I don't typically love SFA guns with Glock-style triggers. But the PPS surprised me. I can't really say it's trigger is good... but most commonly accepted criteria. But it's good enough to allow for excellent shootability. I'd loooove to see a PPS in Walther's AS | DA/SA configuration. But, even as is... I really like the little pistols. They just seem tough--like little duty pistols. A few people put PPSs through the 2000 round challenge, here on PF: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9-2-000-Round-Challenge&p=50741&highlight=walther#post50741 (post #74).

I don't have a PPS review on HT, yet. But I will at some point. Though I do have a thread on it over at the Walther Forum: https://www.waltherforums.com/threads/pps-m1-classic-fde-wow.131744/

TGS
04-08-2024, 12:03 PM
An honest question for those who have G42s that run - is it THAT much more shootable over, say, an LCP?

Oh fuck yeah, dude. They're not comparable at all regarding how they shoot. I can't resolve your concern about whether it's concealable enough in your pockets, but shooting the G42 just plain fucks. It's honestly one of the more fun guns to shoot that I've ever owned, and the recoil is more akin to an old .32ACP pocket-pistol rather than the snappy "I exploded in your hand lol" attributes of LCP sized 380 guns.

Shooting a 5 second AMRAP at 10 yards on an 8" circle, I can fire 9 rounds with the G42. With the G43, I can do 4. Going to 5 and 6 rounds with the G43 is possible, but ends up pushing rounds outside the 8" circle. The G42 is just stupid easy to shoot well. I don't have a comparison to the LCP, because I don't even view the LCP as being in the same category of usefulness/shootability. I view the G42 as a competitor to other slimline subcompacts like the G43 or P365, but if you can pull it off in a pocket instead of an LCP then that would likely be a stellar improvement in your ability to engage targets beyond bad breath distance.

42Willys
04-08-2024, 12:37 PM
1. I like the snub options in .32 flavor, either LCR or S&W Ultimate Carry.
2. For a like weight auto, well under 20 ounces, Glock 42 is pretty nice to shoot.
3. S&W Shield Plus has a nice grip for a micro compact, I like it, however, it’s empty weight is just over 20 ounces.

Clusterfrack
04-08-2024, 12:42 PM
I’m 5’10” and (relatively) thin build. An LCP is just enough smaller that it’s another level of concealment on my build. I can’t get away with pocket carry of a 42. It’s most def legally concealed, and good enough for running errands, but too intuitively “off” to work in a daily environment with close co-workers—or anywhere beyond casual exposure to asleep at the switch public citizens. So there’s that.

As to shootability, with the caveat that OMMV, I find the 42 can most def be held to a higher performance standard than the little LCP, and it’s waaaaay more fun to shoot.

If I was possessed of FU money, I’d own a nice A-frame cabin somewhere in the middle of nowhere, and I’d roll out of bed each morning with a G42 and a bucket of .380 ball to shoot tennis balls, orange reactive targets, and dirt clods all over the back yard—until my wife threatened me with divorce.

I’d pay someone else to shoot my LCP for me.
:D

(Just kidding on the LCP… sort of)

I've found a mousegun that I like much better than the LCP. The Kahr p380 has ergos that make it feel larger than it is. But, it requires reliability mods.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?50494-Mouseguns&p=1501738&viewfull=1#post1501738

GearFondler
04-08-2024, 01:19 PM
An honest question for those who have G42s that run - is it THAT much more shootable over, say, an LCP? I'm looking for an uber concealable pocket rocket for multiple weddings in NPEs this summer/fall, and I'm worried that the G42 will be "bigger" enough in the pocket that it will be more noticeable. I'm thinking of something for Craig's "PCP" application, and would just get a P32, but I'm f'ing cheap and hate buying expensive, hard to find ammo...In my opinion you could use a G42 to teach someone how to shoot and get good results... Try that with an LCP and they might walk away after the first round or they may try to send the second round at you.
So yeah, you definitely want the G42, except for its size. Unless you're a really big guy I don't see you finding any kind of "wedding" pants that will have pockets large enough to properly conceal it. In dress slacks my G42 looks like a brick and my 642 looks like a tumor, but that little LCP fucker pretty much dissappears and still let's me easily draw it.

feudist
04-08-2024, 01:35 PM

I own a G42 and 2(well, 3 if you count the .22) LCP2s.
The G42 is the softest recoiling center-fire pistol I've ever fired. Mine is as reliable as the day is long-with 6 round mags, I've tried a couple of different brands of stendos and they wouldn't work after long storage loaded.
It's a snag monster from the pocket because of the beaver tail and the vertical rear of the slide. In my pockets(I wear wranglers, not Duluth) the G42 prints more obviously than a J-frame.

The LCP2 is noticeably smaller and lighter, has a sloped rear of the slide that draws smoothly...and is unpleasant to shoot. Between trigger pinch/slap, the weirdly square edged profile of the backstrap that digs into the ball of my thumb and the "firecracker going off in your hand" vibration it's a chore to put 25 or 30 rounds through it.
My workarounds include a band-aid or piece of tape around the booger hook, a Hogue Beaver tail rubber grip wrapped with electrical tape to tame the stickiness...and a LCP2 .22 for an understudy. Singles, SHO, WHO and 1-1 on two targets I do with the double deuce. I do Doubles and FTS with the .380. So, a typical practice session will be 100 through the .22 and 50 through the .380.
The trigger and sights are usable and better than on the LCP for me.

In my hands, the G42 is good for service pistol splits and accuracy out to around 15 yards. With the LCP2 that range limit is around 10 and splits are .30 vs .20 at 5 yards and I use up the whole A-box.

I don't carry my G42 at all, whereas I carry the LCP2 daily.

I'd like a Max, but even after two years they still seem problematic.

RJ
04-08-2024, 01:39 PM

I realized I have some data that might help you. I've been tracking weight fully loaded of most all of the firearms I've purchased over the last 10 years, including some I almost purchased. The table is below, sorted by weight in ounces. ("Almosts" are in pink.)

On the basis of a 20 oz carry criteria, your choices would seem to include a Ruger LCR, a 43, and perhaps a P365 or P365X. Of those, the P365X has the lowest weight in ounce per round carried. This is one of the reasons I bought and carry a P365X, aside from the many other reasons to.

Oh and I see you mentioned a snubby. If you don't have a snubby, I'd get one. I bought my Ruger LCR four years ago not thinking I'd use it all that much. It's on me almost every day, and is my primary take out the trash, work in the yard or wash the truck gun. Carry it in the Gym, too.

Crow Hunter
04-08-2024, 02:21 PM
I realized I have some data that might help you. I've been tracking weight fully loaded of most all of the firearms I've purchased over the last 10 years, including some I almost purchased. The table is below, sorted by weight in ounces. ("Almosts" are in pink.)

On the basis of a 20 oz carry criteria, your choices would seem to include a Ruger LCR, a 43, and perhaps a P365 or P365X. Of those, the P365X has the lowest weight in ounce per round carried. This is one of the reasons I bought and carry a P365X, aside from the many other reasons to.

Oh and I see you mentioned a snubby. If you don't have a snubby, I'd get one. I bought my Ruger LCR four years ago not thinking I'd use it all that much. It's on me almost every day, and is my primary take out the trash, work in the yard or wash the truck gun. Carry it in the Gym, too.

I made a big excel file with unloaded weights and recoil velocities based on a practice and defensive round choices and highlighted them based on 13<14<15 fps. I read somewhere that anything over 15 was uncomfortable for most people.

It seemed to mostly jive with my experience. G19 with 115gr was 12.51 fps (shoot all day) and G43x was 15.81 which was uncomfortable.

So I assumed that the G43 at 16.47 would be bad.

The LCR 357 with 148 gr wadcutters should be 13.65 and 15.47 with 130 gr WWB. Which should be ok, but he calc also says the 3" 60 I had would be 11.40 with 130 gr and I found it painful to shoot. So I am wary about the LCR in 38/357.

LCR in .32 HR 85gr should be around 12.80 but again, anything I have shot in a revolver over .22 lr has not been fun.

Unfortunately there aren't any rental ranges less than an hour away from me to try out the LCR or the P365 and I hate to get it and have to try abd sell it. Especially in a not common caliber.

psalms144.1
04-08-2024, 02:50 PM
I used to obsess over recoil calculations until I figured out that, except for BROAD strokes, the math means nothing. Broad as in 9mm in a 15 ounce gun can be ouchy broad. Because having shot an 18 ounce G43 and an 18.5 ounce P365, I can tell you I'd rather shoot the P365 any day. Better (for me) ergonomics, better trigger, better grip texture, it's all better, for me.

I can tell you that 158gr +P LSWC in a 13.5 ounce LCR sucks, but it sucks LESS than the same ammo in a 14.5 ounce alloy j-frame. Again, better grip that's arguably less concealable makes the LCR more comfortable. But, realistically, the only loads I'd shoot in either now are 148gr LWC or bunny fart reloads.

Again, just my opinion. "Carried a lot, shot a little" isn't a cliche because small, light, full-power pistols are fun on the range.

fatdog
04-08-2024, 05:33 PM
An honest question for those who have G42s that run - is it THAT much more shootable over, say, an LCP? .

I am a late adopter, only had mine since late 2020 when I bought it blue label (GSSF), and it runs better than any 380 I have ever owned including P230, PPK, P290, Colt Mustang (two versions), LCP, AMT, Keltec, Bersa, Kahr, and probably a few others I don't remember. It is also the most shootable.

I can run through a 150 round range session with no fear and no pain. I love going to the club and working the plate racks at 15 yards with that little sucker. Strangers come up and ask me what is that little thing....

It could easily be luck of the draw and I got the best one they made. All I did was sights (Ameriglo) and grip tape plus I am privileged to own one of the SCD's for it. I swap out the recoil spring every 2K rounds as a precaution because they are cheap. I only run the 6 round factory mags with no extensions. Its only holsters are a Galco ankle glove and a Mika Pocket holster. Feed mine Gold Dots or Underwood solid penetrators for serious social purposes. I consider it the first 380 in 35 years that I have ever had that was worth owning.

KevH
04-08-2024, 05:47 PM

There is no comparison between the G42 and LCP. I could probably shoot an entire training day (500+ rounds) with the G42 without blinking an eye. The recoil is minimal (much more like 22 LR) and the there is no snap/sting at all if that makes any sense. The LCP (I have one too) I'd be done after a couple boxes...it's snappy.

Size wise I use an Uncle Mikes pocket holster and in most shorts/pants it looks like a have larger smartphone in my pocket. In a vest or jacket pocket it simply disappears. The G42 is very lightweight when loaded, less than a S&W 442. It's truly one of those guns you can actually forget you have on you, but can still get good tight and fast groupings at 25 yards.

I only use the factory 6 round mags (no extensions) and have a tritium front sight with bright yellow ring and a black rear sight (I can't remember which brand they are).

Glenn E. Meyer
04-08-2024, 05:57 PM
I had a LCP and I could shoot it reasonably but it wasn't a favorite. The G42 is much better. The DeSantis holster in my Duluth pants is almost not noticeable. One thing, the pants has a little inner pocket in the main pocket that holds an extra mag upright and easy to get to. Not a match speed reload but easier than a 432 speed strip.

I'm all for a belt gun and extra mags but if circumstances warrant, both guns work.

Crow Hunter
04-08-2024, 06:40 PM
So pro-G42 arguments are commonality with my wife, familiar manual of arms and PMs and no need to add an additional caliber to stock, 1 more round loaded to full mag+1 than the revolver, lighter weight and flatter profile in a tuckable IWB holster along with faster reloads that will never happen. 😝

Pros for the LCR option would be jacket pocket carry, double action trigger, contact shooting at the cost of harder to find ammo, learning a new manual of arms (last time I played with one in the toy shop I couldn't get the cylinder to open until I remembered it wasn't a Smith, my only revolver experience), slower reloads.

Sig p365 cons could be finding out that I need to swap out all my Glocks and parts and mags for Sigs.🤔😁

I appreciate everyone contributing. Really helped me gel some thoughts I have had running through my head.

I am still open to anti G42 arguments.

KevH
04-08-2024, 07:00 PM
So pro-G42 arguments are commonality with my wife, familiar manual of arms and PMs and no need to add an additional caliber to stock, 1 more round loaded to full mag+1 than the revolver, lighter weight and flatter profile in a tuckable IWB holster along with faster reloads that will never happen. 😝

Pros for the LCR option would be jacket pocket carry, double action trigger, contact shooting at the cost of harder to find ammo, learning a new manual of arms (last time I played with one in the toy shop I couldn't get the cylinder to open until I remembered it wasn't a Smith, my only revolver experience), slower reloads.

Sig p365 cons could be finding out that I need to swap out all my Glocks and parts and mags for Sigs.🤔😁

I appreciate everyone contributing. Really helped me gel some thoughts I have had running through my head.

I am still open to anti G42 arguments.

Don't forget that a loaded G42 is substantially lighter than both the LCR and P365. Not that I'm biased or anything.

parishioner
04-08-2024, 07:23 PM
Welp, thank you all.

I just took my g42 off consignment this evening.

why am I like this

G19Fan
04-08-2024, 08:19 PM
Welp, thank you all.

I just took my g42 off consignment this evening.

why am I like this

It is a fantastic gun

Duelist
04-08-2024, 10:38 PM
The G42 is thin, light, easy and actually fun to shoot. We have two - his and hers. She will shoot all of the .380 ammunition through hers. Other centerfire pistols, she will usually only shoot a magazine or less.

I also have and carry airweight .38 Special Jframes, loaded with FGMM wadcutters. They do usually get tiresome after about half a box. I mostly practice with a steel framed Jframe.

I found myself swiping her G42 to go to the gym or go running or go play tennis, so I bought mine. It still gets carried for athletics, and other very low profile discrete carry.

MGW
04-09-2024, 06:50 AM
Thanks so much, my friend! Appreciate the kind words. Hopefully you find the content entertaining... and informative.

This link references an article from 2012 about Navy SEALs carrying the PPS: https://defensereview.com/walther-pps-police-pistol-slim-single-stack-striker-fired-9mm-compact-pistol-for-concealed-carry-ccw-applications-and-covert-missionsoperations/

It's my understanding that SEALs acquire and carry whatever guns they want... so we're not talking, like, a "standard-issue" SEAL pistol, per se. But, clearly, some SEALs liked the PPS and carried it. Which, I think, is a decent endorsement.

"I'm not a Navy SEAL--but I did carry a Walther PPS last night."

I don't typically love SFA guns with Glock-style triggers. But the PPS surprised me. I can't really say it's trigger is good... but most commonly accepted criteria. But it's good enough to allow for excellent shootability. I'd loooove to see a PPS in Walther's AS | DA/SA configuration. But, even as is... I really like the little pistols. They just seem tough--like little duty pistols. A few people put PPSs through the 2000 round challenge, here on PF: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9-2-000-Round-Challenge&p=50741&highlight=walther#post50741 (post #74).

I don't have a PPS review on HT, yet. But I will at some point. Though I do have a thread on it over at the Walther Forum: https://www.waltherforums.com/threads/pps-m1-classic-fde-wow.131744/

I wish HK would hurry up and release their sub single stack. I owned a PPS a long time ago and really liked it. I remember the magazines having alligator teeth when trying to reload the pistol quickly. Other than that, I don’t remember having any complaints with it. I don’t like the rounded grip and button release at all compared to the original.

RJ
04-09-2024, 09:41 AM
I am a late adopter, only had mine since late 2020 when I bought it blue label (GSSF), and it runs better than any 380 I have ever owned including P230, PPK, P290, Colt Mustang (two versions), LCP, AMT, Keltec, Bersa, Kahr, and probably a few others I don't remember. It is also the most shootable.

There is no comparison between the G42 and LCP. I could probably shoot an entire training day (500+ rounds) with the G42 without blinking an eye. The recoil is minimal (much more like 22 LR) and the there is no snap/sting at all if that makes any sense. The LCP (I have one too) I'd be done after a couple boxes...it's snappy.

It is a fantastic gun

The G42 is thin, light, easy and actually fun to shoot. We have two - his and hers. She will shoot all of the .380 ammunition through hers. Other centerfire pistols, she will usually only shoot a magazine or less.

You people are horrible. Now I need to go look at having the ".380 experience" after I get done with my .22. Geez and I thought I was finished with Glocks. :cool:

psalms144.1
04-09-2024, 10:10 AM
You people are horrible. Now I need to go look at having the ".380 experience" after I get done with my .22. Geez and I thought I was finished with Glocks. :cool:OR, you can be our test monkey for a heavy wring out of the P365-380...

Just sayin'

RJ
04-09-2024, 12:02 PM
OR, you can be our test monkey for a heavy wring out of the P365-380...

Just sayin'

Oh yeah forgot about that option…:)

L-2
04-09-2024, 12:22 PM
I don't analyze as much as others. When in the mood for a new/different handgun, I typically just sleep on it for a few days and buy it.
I already had several handguns, including a Glock 43 (G43), but again got in the mood for something else.

My most recent gun is a Ruger LCRX .327. Sometimes, I just get into a revolver-mood. Supposedly, I'm on a waiting list with an FFL for the new Lipsey's 432UC, if it ever come in, but I don't care to wait too long and immediately ordered & received the LCRX.

While I didn't want to get into another caliber and an expensive caliber to buy, I bought it anyway. I now have, again among several other handguns, a Glock G43 and a Ruger LCRX. Now the biggest decision each day is which one to carry out the door. If I really can't decide, they're small and light enough to carry both:)

For the OP, make a decision or buy both. The money isn't the biggest thing in the decision, but do plan on a $1000 or $2000 for the: gun, holster(s), ammo, practice, and any other small mods/changes for personal preference.

G42. This was never included for me as what-to-do. I just never had an interest in getting one.

Navin Johnson
04-09-2024, 05:18 PM
My G42 weighs 16 ounces with 7 rounds

My 340 weighs 11.4 ounces empty 14 ounces loaded with 148’s

A 642 Would be about 17 ounces loaded. An UC version Would be 18 oz.

A Kimber K6xs is about 18 oz. With 6 38’s

A LCR aluminum frame would be about 16 ounces loaded

A LCR steel frame would be about 20 ounces loaded

A G42 is much easier to shoot has a much easier to use trigger, could be shot all day but they’re fussy.

A revolver draws MUCH better from pocket. The G 42 is only a pocket gun with some pockets.

A 365X is 24 oz. loaded (12 rounds) and it’s a real gun. It can be carried IWB in sweats with the draw string tied (wearing shorts underneath helps stabilize and hold it up).

Oh yeah, a 10 shot J-frame weighs 30 or less oz.

MattyD380
04-09-2024, 11:39 PM
I wish HK would hurry up and release their sub single stack. I owned a PPS a long time ago and really liked it. I remember the magazines having alligator teeth when trying to reload the pistol quickly. Other than that, I don’t remember having any complaints with it. I don’t like the rounded grip and button release at all compared to the original.

Yeah, I'm curious to see what HK ends up giving us with their micro 9. If it has the VP9 trigger (which I'm 99% sure it will) it's probably a no-go for me. Unless they offer a safety.

The PPS trigger offers a bit more weight/squish--which I like in a carry gun, without a safety. And I can see how the mags would give you a pinch if your were reloading fast. Especially the 6-rounders.

Also...

Guns.com is giving these freaking things away:

https://www.guns.com/firearms/handguns/semi-auto/walther-pps-9mm-luger-(9x19-para)-semi-automatic-8-rounds-3-1-barrel-used?p=1229956

I found one of mine for $225 + shipping.

DLWinner
04-10-2024, 04:26 AM
For the guns mentioned, the 43 sounds like what you want. Super lightweight and very easy to shoot.

Redhat
04-10-2024, 09:07 AM

I agree with this...but don't see it mentioned often when choosing a handgun.

Noah
04-10-2024, 11:22 AM
I agree with this...but don't see it mentioned often when choosing a handgun.

That’s because the huge majority of handguns sold are 9mm!

Redhat
04-10-2024, 01:20 PM
That’s because the huge majority of handguns sold are 9mm!

Well...yeah. But there are plenty of other calibers discussed on this forum...this thread is a good example.

RJ
04-10-2024, 02:25 PM
I made a big excel file with unloaded weights and recoil velocities based on a practice and defensive round choices and highlighted them based on 13<14<15 fps . I read somewhere that anything over 15 was uncomfortable for most people.

Could you elaborate a bit on the above...I'm definitely a numbers guy, but I don't understand what units of measurement you are using here? Not a problem or issue, just trying to understand how you are applying this data...

It looks like you are quantifying recoil, and I've never seen anyone do that...and would like to know more.

Thanks!

Crow Hunter
04-10-2024, 03:07 PM
https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/gun-recoil-velocity

I used this calculator to make an excel file of lots of handguns that I had personally owned or shot as well as others I was interested in.

I used the criteria of anything with a recoil velocity over 14fps as questionable and anything over 15 as problematic and anything 16 or above as no way.

I could then sort them by weight or recoil velocity and look for the "sweet spot" of weight and recoil.

It isn't 100% accurate to my experience but it it reasonably close. For instance a G19 with 124gr+p GDHP rates 14.63. Which isn't painful but not a all day long shooting round.
While the same round in a G43X was 18.49, which was painful to me.

A 115gr target load rated 12.51 (shoot all day) G19 and 15.81 in a G43X which is the uncomfortable but not painful range. I started having recoil hand shakes before 100 rounds when I had one.

I just used published recoil velocities that I found on the internet and unloaded weights for simplicity. So the velocities are likely too high on the smaller guns and the weight is too low but I think the error was similar enough across everything to give me a decent idea of what I should expect on recoil.

However, it does say that a Walther PPK should be 11.2 and I hated shooting the PPK I used to own. I shot a whole 100 rds out of it the whole time I owned it, I would be surprised.

Nothing scientific, just a evaluation tool to narrow down what I wanted to look at before I make the 1 hour plus trip to a rental range to try something out.

I apologize in advance since I am typing on my phone instead of a real keyboard because work now blocks PF.:mad:

RJ
04-10-2024, 04:12 PM
https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/gun-recoil-velocity

I used this calculator to make an excel file of lots of handguns that I had personally owned or shot as well as others I was interested in.

I used the criteria of anything with a recoil velocity over 14fps as questionable and anything over 15 as problematic and anything 16 or above as no way.

I could then sort them by weight or recoil velocity and look for the "sweet spot" of weight and recoil.

It isn't 100% accurate to my experience but it it reasonably close. For instance a G19 with 124gr+p GDHP rates 14.63. Which isn't painful but not a all day long shooting round.
While the same round in a G43X was 18.49, which was painful to me.

A 115gr target load rated 12.51 (shoot all day) G19 and 15.81 in a G43X which is the uncomfortable but not painful range. I started having recoil hand shakes before 100 rounds when I had one.

I just used published recoil velocities that I found on the internet and unloaded weights for simplicity. So the velocities are likely too high on the smaller guns and the weight is too low but I think the error was similar enough across everything to give me a decent idea of what I should expect on recoil.

However, it does say that a Walther PPK should be 11.2 and I hated shooting the PPK I used to own. I shot a whole 100 rds out of it the whole time I owned it, I would be surprised.

Nothing scientific, just a evaluation tool to narrow down what I wanted to look at before I make the 1 hour plus trip to a rental range to try something out.

I apologize in advance since I am typing on my phone instead of a real keyboard because work now blocks PF.:mad:

*slaps forehead*

"Conservation of momentum". Of course. Makes sense, and I appreciate the info. I'll definitely take a look at the numbers in respect to my subjective perspective of recoil. Thanks!

Cool Breeze
04-10-2024, 04:50 PM
the most shootable gun of this lot is g42. However, a hogue grip made my g43 more shootable for me. It weighs 21.68 ounces with 6 round mag w/pinky extension. It feels considerably lighter than my g19 with red dot which is 32.19 ounces loaded.

Navin Johnson
04-10-2024, 05:07 PM
Everyone has their own experience, however

The 43 and 43X are worse to shoot than the old 23. They are snappy with twisting recoil. And most people I speak with who shot a 43 next to a 365 or shield agree. Again in my experience.

I agree the 42 is very fun and easy to shoot other than being fussy.

Cool Breeze
04-11-2024, 07:58 AM

Great reference! Did you weigh each gun or did you find the info on the internet?

While not the topic of the thread that is crazy how much an M&p FS weighs compared to a Glock 34. Wow.

RJ
04-11-2024, 09:43 AM
Great reference! Did you weigh each gun or did you find the info on the internet?

While not the topic of the thread that is crazy how much an M&p FS weighs compared to a Glock 34. Wow.

For the ones in pink, I just used internet sources. For the rest, they are actual weights on my home scale (ok, well, to be fair, my wife's scale, but don't rat me out) and then I added in an average weight of my carry ammo multiplied by the number of rounds loaded N+1. It's been accumulating for a while, yes.

To return to the conservation of momentum concept as a means of quantifying recoil, after computing all of mine (see below), I think it's an interesting concept. But (and this might be surprising, since I am all about numbers) I don't think it is all that useful, in terms of how recoil is perceived on specific guns, at least not more than generally.

For example, I perceive the G43X as extremely snappy, but the table would suggest the P365 and P365X are worse. In actual shooting the small Sig's (and I've had four) they are not that bad. So while mass in a gun is a thing, I think it may be overshadowed by the recoil spring, mass of the reciprocating slide, physics of the elastic collision that takes place in re the polymer / steel of the gun, and so on. Pretty cool concept though, and I could see using it as a "general" guideline.

What I do use this table for (and what I designed it to collect) is rating carry guns in terms of "ounce per round". In other words, how many ounces do you have to lug around, for each round of ammo? This is more of a measure of efficiency. Here, I find this data pretty valuable, as I have tended to sell off guns at the high end of this metric (greater than 2.0, i.e. P30SK, Walther PPS M2) and ended up keeping only those which are more weight efficient (less than 2.0, i.e. Glocks or Sig P365s).

rawkguitarist
04-11-2024, 09:48 AM
I can't compare to a ton of guns... But singing the same tune as many, the Glock 42 is REALLY comfortable to shoot. I dare to say it feels/shoots like a larger gun. NOW, the tungsten guid rod assembly from Glockstore with a lighter spring is a must IMO. When I had my 507k installed, I got one to help with reliability. This pistol cycles better than my Glock 19's. I put it through a battery of TERRIBLE grips, including barely gripping at all with my arm bent 90 degrees at the elbow. Target ammo and my carry loads - didn't choke a single time.

Glock did engineering a smaller pistol in a real sweet spot for shootability and concealability. And there are a handful of loads, including ones using the Hornady 90g XTP bullet, that perform way better than many expect .380 to perform.

For those scratching their heads about a dot on a 42, after cataracts I have synthetic lenses.... I can only see irons in sunlight.

RJ
04-11-2024, 09:53 AM
What I do use this table for (and what I designed it to collect) is rating carry guns in terms of "ounce per round". In other words, how many ounces do you have to lug around, for each round of ammo? This is more of a measure of efficiency. Here, I find this data pretty valuable, as I have tended to sell off guns at the high end of this metric (greater than 2.0, i.e. P30SK, Walther PPS M2) and ended up keeping only those which are more weight efficient (less than 2.0, i.e. Glocks or Sig P365s).

To save someone some squinting, this is the table sorted by ounce per round. The upper section is below 2.0, the bottom section above.

4RNR
04-11-2024, 11:13 AM
I own the LCP Custom and the max (10+1 and 12+1). Neither are for anything more than run out to the store real quick. The Custom doesnt feel bad to shoot but the Max has incredibly bad trigger slap. Extremely sharp and painful. To the point where I cant get through half a box of ammo and will only shoot it after shooting everything else cause, if shot first, itll ruin the rest of your range trip. That one is going to be leaving soon. I wanted to like it....i like the concept, compact, light weight 380 with 10+1 or 12+1 but this trigger slap is just awful. Maybe there's something wrong with mine.....

I never cared for the G42 due to the grip size but reading this I may go rent one to at least give it a try

jh9
04-11-2024, 11:54 AM
I own the LCP Custom and the max (10+1 and 12+1). Neither are for anything more than run out to the store real quick. The Custom doesnt feel bad to shoot but the Max has incredibly bad trigger slap. Extremely sharp and painful. To the point where I cant get through half a box of ammo and will only shoot it after shooting everything else cause, if shot first, itll ruin the rest of your range trip. That one is going to be leaving soon. I wanted to like it....i like the concept, compact, light weight 380 with 10+1 or 12+1 but this trigger slap is just awful. Maybe there's something wrong with mine.....

I never cared for the G42 due to the grip size but reading this I may go rent one to at least give it a try

The LCP max is on the list of "guns I should have rented instead of bought" because it didn't even get a full 50-round box. It felt like sticking my finger in a pencil sharpener. Hard pass.

The 42 is the only Glock I still own.

jandbj
04-11-2024, 12:03 PM

Literally wearing my G42 right now. It’s a super easy shooter that is also very accurate. Just wish it held a few more.

Have both the LCP Custom & Max. Those benefit from +2lb recoil springs in the comfort/reliability category.
Custom is a good shooter with the addition on the Hogue grip. Max is a discreet little gun that I’m still trying to actually find its niche.

SouthNarc presently has my Custom to try out in the PCP role.

But because we enable here… I also bought P32 to do my own experiments with… and I blame Craig for that. :cool:

SiriusBlunder
04-11-2024, 03:26 PM
*slaps forehead*

"Conservation of momentum". Of course. Makes sense, and I appreciate the info. I'll definitely take a look at the numbers in respect to my subjective perspective of recoil. Thanks!

When I went down this rabbit hole, I used Free Recoil Energy, formula documented by SAAMI, which takes into account powder/gas weight.

Gun-Recoil-Formulae (https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Gun-Recoil-Formulae-2018-07-9-1.pdf)

feudist
04-11-2024, 04:12 PM
I can't compare to a ton of guns... But singing the same tune as many, the Glock 42 is REALLY comfortable to shoot. I dare to say it feels/shoots like a larger gun. NOW, the tungsten guid rod assembly from Glockstore with a lighter spring is a must IMO. When I had my 507k installed, I got one to help with reliability. This pistol cycles better than my Glock 19's. I put it through a battery of TERRIBLE grips, including barely gripping at all with my arm bent 90 degrees at the elbow. Target ammo and my carry loads - didn't choke a single time.

Glock did engineering a smaller pistol in a real sweet spot for shootability and concealability. And there are a handful of loads, including ones using the Hornady 90g XTP bullet, that perform way better than many expect .380 to perform.

For those scratching their heads about a dot on a 42, after cataracts I have synthetic lenses.... I can only see irons in sunlight.

I bet that thing is a freaking laser now.
What is your stendo and its capacity?

rawkguitarist
04-11-2024, 04:36 PM
I bet that thing is a freaking laser now.
What is your stendo and its capacity?

It's a Strike Industries +2. Feels real nice. I carry a stock glock 6 rounder as my backup. If I feel like I want to conceal a tiny bit better I'll swap them. But for my normal daily (even my 9-5) looser fitting hiking clothes, this pistol with the extension in a JM AIWB and a Zero Belt fit conceals extremely well.

https://themagshack.com/shop/magazine-accesories/strike-industries-emp-glock-42-plus-2-extension/

Noah
04-11-2024, 05:24 PM
It's a Strike Industries +2. Feels real nice. I carry a stock glock 6 rounder as my backup. If I feel like I want to conceal a tiny bit better I'll swap them. But for my normal daily (even my 9-5) looser fitting hiking clothes, this pistol with the extension in a JM AIWB and a Zero Belt fit conceals extremely well.

https://themagshack.com/shop/magazine-accesories/strike-industries-emp-glock-42-plus-2-extension/

Does the Strike come with a new spring? That’s why I went Vickers/ Tango Down

rawkguitarist
04-11-2024, 05:32 PM
Does the Strike come with a new spring? That’s why I went Vickers/ Tango Down

It’s been so long… but I do believe it did. 90% sure.

psalms144.1
04-13-2024, 09:23 AM
Could you elaborate a bit on the above...I'm definitely a numbers guy, but I don't understand what units of measurement you are using here? Not a problem or issue, just trying to understand how you are applying this data...

It looks like you are quantifying recoil, and I've never seen anyone do that...and would like to know more.

Thanks!I used to do it all the time when I was spread-sheeting possible pistols for carry. The site I used to use is no longer in existence (hey, I was state of the art back before electricity!), but this site provides similar info: https://shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

As I stated above, though, what I found was those numbers are only valid to a point. There are a bunch of other factors that play into this FOR ME, such as grip angle, grip material, recoil spring weight, etc. So, you can have two pistols that give precisely the same "numbers" on the calculator, but one is definitely "snappier" or "flippier" than another.

Nothing beats making the banging noise to really learn how given pistols "feel" in recoil.