PDA

View Full Version : A USPSA/IDPA Gear Question...

Chris Rhines
11-18-2012, 09:41 AM
This is a question aimed mainly at people who shoot both IDPA and USPSA with the same pistol. When competing, do you use a different holster/mag pouch setup for IPDA vs. USPSA, or do you use the same belt/holster/mag carriers for both games?

I shot a USPSA match yesterday with the same Ready Tactical holster and mag carriers that I usually use for IDPA (five mag pouches instead of two, of course.) I didn't notice any changes in my performance; in fact, I shot a pretty good match overall. It got me wondering if using a different rig for different games is buying me anything.

Thoughts?

Lon
11-18-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm guessing that you are shooting Production class in USPSA and either SSP or ESP in IDPA. if that's the case I doubt you are loosing anything by using your IDPA rig in Production class. Production's equipment placement rules are similar enough to the IDPA rules sans the concealment rule, so I'd go with your IDPA rig and be done with it.

gtmtnbiker98
11-18-2012, 10:02 AM
I use the same equipment in both IDPA ESP/SSP and USPSA Production. Comp-Tac belt holster and two mag holders for IDPA and the same Comp-Tac belt holster and a Comp-Tac 'Belt Fed' for USPSA. Both games, P30 or P30L.

shootist26
11-18-2012, 10:31 AM
This is a question aimed mainly at people who shoot both IDPA and USPSA with the same pistol. When competing, do you use a different holster/mag pouch setup for IPDA vs. USPSA, or do you use the same belt/holster/mag carriers for both games?

I shot a USPSA match yesterday with the same Ready Tactical holster and mag carriers that I usually use for IDPA (five mag pouches instead of two, of course.) I didn't notice any changes in my performance; in fact, I shot a pretty good match overall. It got me wondering if using a different rig for different games is buying me anything.

Thoughts?

The same. I shoot SSP and Production. Same Comp-tac holster and Ready Tac mag pouches.

Chris Rhines
11-18-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm guessing that you are shooting Production class in USPSA and either SSP or ESP in IDPA.
Yup, USPSA Production and IDPA SSP/ESP, all with the same Glock 34. I'll likely keep working with my IDPA gear for a while, and see how it goes. Thanks for all the replies.

joshs
11-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Chris,

Were you using some type of DOH holster for Production? I used to use a DOH, but stopped when I was shooting both SSP/ESP and Production on a regular basis. Having the gun in the same place for both games was just easier.

I use the same type of mag pouches for both as well, but I move them to the forward most point allowed for Production when Shooting USPSA. Mostly because I couldn't get 5 pouches on my belt any other way.

taadski
11-18-2012, 12:35 PM
I shoot both production and SSP with a P226 out of an ALS/SLS (6360) rig. It rides on a web version of my duty belt in an effort to keep things as consistent as possible with my work stuff. I obviously add mag pouches as needed for USPSA but aside from that, it's identical.

jetfire
11-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Same rig right down to the belt. The only difference between the USPSA setup vs IDPA is that when I shoot USPSA I have more mags and run the inner/outer CR Speed belt, when I shoot IDPA I just thread the outer belt through my belt loops.

Stuffbreaker
11-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Same holster, mag pouches and M&P Pro 9mm in IDPA SSP and USPSA Limited/Production. I do run an Arredondo +5 extension when running Limited.

66L
11-29-2012, 11:39 AM
That's one of the many benefits to shooting Production and SSP. You only need one set of gear to be competitive and compliant with both sets of rules. I actually found a drop-offset holster to hinder my performance, as its location is different enough from my normal concealed carry holster and my IDPA holster that I screwed up more than one draw.

1986s4
12-05-2012, 01:21 PM
I go with what I have, equipment that works for both games. One does need more mags, pouches and ammo for USPSA..

jar
12-08-2012, 10:12 PM
I ran the same gear for a while. These days I'm shooting a lot more USPSA than IDPA, so I decided to go full gamer and got a DAA belt and RT DOH. I haven't shot a match yet, but the DOH has make it easier to get a consistent grip in dry fire. It'll probably affect my draw a bit in IDPA, but that's a trade I'm willing to make to improve a bit in USPSA.

TNK
03-07-2013, 08:42 PM
I use the same equipment in both IDPA ESP/SSP and USPSA Production. Comp-Tac belt holster and two mag holders for IDPA and the same Comp-Tac belt holster and a Comp-Tac 'Belt Fed' for USPSA. Both games, P30 or P30L.

This is what I do too but just with a P30. I consider IDPA my main game, but I still show up to USPSA matches three or four times a year to put in some classifiers. The comp-tac gear is excellent. I see no reason to compete in USPSA. I use it for a little fun, a little run and gun.

PPGMD
03-09-2013, 02:54 PM
No.

For USPSA I use 4 Ghost 360 mag pouches, and a Comp-tac dropped and off-set holster (I use the same gear except with no mag pouches for Steel Challenge, and NRA Action Pistol).

For IDPA I use a Comp-tac paddle holster in the same position (except without being dropped and off-set), and two Ghost 360 mag pouches.

Granted I shoot with my USPSA/Steel Challenge/NRA Action Pistol gear much much more then my IDPA gear. As I only shoot IDPA when I am bored, and have no other matches to shoot that month.

Shawn.L
03-09-2013, 04:27 PM
No.

I dont shoot much IDPA , but the stipple on my G34 isnt SSP legal so I run my RTF G17 instead.
Same holster, bladetech, but its on my normal belt for IDPA and on my CR Speed for USPSA.
Different mag pouches, I use comp-tac clip on double for IDPA and have CR Speed pouches on my USPSA belt.

RJ
06-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Did a search to ask this question.

I have been interested in getting into some kind of organized, regular pistol competition. I shoot paper targets about once a month at the range but it's getting boring.

I have a S&W M&P FS9mm with 4 mags, an Apex DCAEK and Apex polymer trigger. I have a set of Trijicon HD sights. My holster is a simple Safariland 5197.

Would I need much else to go try USPSA or IDPA?

Maybe a sturdy belt?

Is my pistol 'ok' to use as is? I read the rule book (USPSA) briefly but wasn't too sure.

Thanks in advance.

V/R

Rich

PPGMD
06-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Obviously a sturdy belt would be good.

Production would be a no go due to the Apex trigger.

So assuming you have a pouch for two or three magazines you are good to go in limited (which means load your magazines to full).

If you want to shoot production, take the polymer trigger out, and pick up an additional magazine while having a pouch for four magazines. If you shoot production you are only allowed 10 round per a magazine (and 11 rounds in your first if you start loaded)

IDPA you be a no go in SSP due to Apex Trigger, but allowed in ESP. Load to ten rounds for either division. Only a double magazine pouch is required.

Edwin
06-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Try some local Steel Challenge too! Great way to get your feet wet in competition shooting.

RJ
07-07-2014, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the advice. Been busy with family / work till now.

I'll look into this some more this fall when it cools down here in Tampa. I've heard about the Wyoming Antelope Club near me offers training but I'm not clear if that is IDPA or what. I'll have to give them a call when my schedule lightens up a bit.

My local indoor range offers "one on one" training at $75 for an hour session, but that seems pricy for what you get.

Or maybe a better option is to devote time to one of the popular shooting schools over a few days.

PPGMD
07-07-2014, 07:37 AM
If you are looking for training particularly for competition shooting I would look at Universal Shooting Academy. They are about 90 minutes from Tampa in Frostproof.

RJ
07-07-2014, 09:50 PM
If you are looking for training particularly for competition shooting I would look at Universal Shooting Academy. They are about 90 minutes from Tampa in Frostproof.

I looked that up. Great lead, thanks very much. I'll follow up on that.

RJ
07-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the advice. Been busy with family / work till now.

I'll look into this some more this fall when it cools down here in Tampa. I've heard about the Wyoming Antelope Club near me offers training but I'm not clear if that is IDPA or what. I'll have to give them a call when my schedule lightens up a bit.

My local indoor range offers "one on one" training at $75 for an hour session, but that seems pricy for what you get.

Or maybe a better option is to devote time to one of the popular shooting schools over a few days.

Well I'm in contact with the WAC. There is a three hour Action Pistol Class Saturday at 9.

Should be interesting. Considering I've only ever shot holes in paper. Eek.

PPGMD
07-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Once I get my STI back together, I will be doing a match or two at WAC in the next month or so.

Lomshek
07-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Did a search to ask this question.

I have been interested in getting into some kind of organized, regular pistol competition. I shoot paper targets about once a month at the range but it's getting boring.

I have a S&W M&P FS9mm with 4 mags, an Apex DCAEK and Apex polymer trigger. I have a set of Trijicon HD sights. My holster is a simple Safariland 5197.

Would I need much else to go try USPSA or IDPA?

Maybe a sturdy belt?

Is my pistol 'ok' to use as is? I read the rule book (USPSA) briefly but wasn't too sure.

Thanks in advance.

V/R

Rich

I've only shot USPSA so can only answer for that. I shoot USPSA Limited with my M&P 9 FS, Safariland 7TS belt holster and BladeTech double mag pouches after starting in Production.

Limited is much less restrictive on gun mods (Apex trigger is legal) and holster/mag placement than Production plus you can fill the mags up instead of just loading 10 rounds.

Being scored for minor instead of major hurts me when I don't hit A's (shoot better I tell myself) but the gear itself makes no difference whatsoever that I can tell. I'd imagine when your draw & reload times are less than 1 second the race holster and mag pouches make a difference but for the mortals it won't affect the results.

ETA - Keep in mind in USPSA (& IDPA I think) the gun restrictions are one way streets. They do not allow someone to shoot a 2011 with 28 round mags and optic in Production but a shooter is allowed to shoot a Production gun in Open (or Limited or Ltd 10). Lots of folks get wrapped up in "this is a production gun so I can only shoot production" which is false.

RJ
07-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Well I'm in contact with the WAC. There is a three hour Action Pistol Class Saturday at 9.

Should be interesting. Considering I've only ever shot holes in paper. Eek.

Wanted to report I had a blast with the introduction course today at Wyoming Antelope Club here near St Pete FL.

It was a 'basic', slow time introduction to the game concept in a low key format. We shot two 'stages' set up in two bays. Two squads of 7 man shooters each. After an hour and a half of classroom orientation, we moved to the range for the in-brief and walkthrough.

We got one run each; with the RO taking us aside privately to discuss ways to improve afterwards.

Along with our squad, I helped to tape targets after scoring and collect dropped mags. Most of us stuck around to break down the stages and put the gear away.

How did I do?

Well, for never having even drawn a pistol in my life until today, I finished 7th out of 14 (I think, if I understood the scoring).

Anyways, my gear was good, no issues. I appreciate the info in this thread, thanks.

Rich in Tampa