PDA

View Full Version : Absurd sh!t you hear at a public range

Chefdog
03-16-2024, 10:56 AM
I thought I’d seen a similar thread in the past, but couldn’t seem to find it. Mods, please move this if it’s redundant.

I was at the range this morning zeroing two new dots and a gentleman and two 20-ish young men took the lane next to me. It was clear that the older man was attempting to teach them how to shoot, first instructing them how to grip the pistol straight out of a 1985 episode of Miami Vice, cup and saucer style. I quickly went back to the task at hand until I hear him telling the kids that they’re on the 15 yd line and the lanes to the left are 7 yards. He asks “do you know why 7 yds is important?” I assume he’s gonna start in about the Tueller drill, but then he follows up with: “Cause 7 yards is the distance you’re allowed to shoot someone. If you shoot them past 7 yards it’s murder.” He was dead serious. I then turned my ear pro off so I didn’t have to hear the rest. When they were leaving I noticed that one of the young men put his pistol in his belt before leaving…I should mention that they were happy with being able to just hit paper at 15 yds.

This is by far the worst piece of “advice” I’ve ever heard.
What kind of dumb shit have you seen or heard at your local range range beyond inane discussions of “man stopping ammo” and other such nonsense?

Clusterfrack
03-16-2024, 11:16 AM
Links to previous threads, so we can have all the good stories in one place:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?38903-Stuff-seen-at-the-gun-range
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23692-Curious-things-seen-at-local-gun-shop-or-shooting-range
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24931-Seen-at-the-range

Glenn E. Meyer
03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Mentioned this before, I was taking my Texas CHL test. It was quite easy and all my shots were in the center bottle zone. A guy comes up to me and says you should have missed some. That was because if you shoot so well, when you go to court they will ask why you didn't shoot the opponent in the leg just to stop him. The guy said he knows this because he was a 'sniper'. When I posted this, a few folks here said they have heard the same thing.

I've seen the cup and saucer grip and also the hold the wrist grip. The latter because Daddy or PawPaw was a MARINE and that's how you do it.

Florida guy recently said that if someone is prowling your car, you can shoot him because it is part of the stand your ground in your castle doctrine in Florida. I said that isn't part of NYS law.

Oops, posted before CF links.

Clusterfrack
03-16-2024, 11:26 AM
Recycled range horror stories...

This thread makes me so glad I'm fortunate enough have local ranges where I can practice in my own outdoor bay. Unfortunately even that isn't always enough... Here are four examples of "curious things seen at the range".

1. Brass rat

I was practicing at my home range, in one of the outdoor bays. The bay is ~50’ long and 30’ wide. I had set up 3 USPSA metric targets and was working on shooting into and out of position at 15 yds. I guess I was really in the zone, because my situational awareness was disturbingly low. I didn’t realize anyone was in the bay with me until I heard something behind me. I looked back--there was a guy crouching down right behind me! I backed up and yelled “What the FUCK are you doing???” It was a truly ancient dude picking up my brass and putting it into a sack. He said, “Oh, do you want your brass?” Before I sent him on his way, I made him pour out the contents of the bag, which he argued about because he claimed the brass hadn’t all come from my gun. Note to self: check your 6 more often.

2. Gangbanger’s girlfriend

When I visit a buddy in California, there isn’t a lot of options for shooting. A convenient, but sketchy location is an indoor facility called Targetmasters West. In the evening, especially on weekends, the clientele is typically wannabe gangbangers and their chicks. One time, in the lane next to me and my buddy, a guy was there with a girl in 4” heels and super-tight jeans. He had given her a big .40 Beretta, and was standing behind looking at her ass. The girl had obviously never shot a gun before, and was very nervous. Just as I was about to intervene, she closed her eyes and fired. Then she danced and squealed “I shot it! I shot it!”, and turned--sweeping me and my buddy--and stopped with her finger on the trigger and the gun pointed straight at her guy. I couldn’t help thinking, “please… pull the trigger.” ;)

3. Is it loaded?

This next incident was the last time I’ve been to Targetmasters because it’s just too scary. In two lanes to my left was a large group of older Chinese guys. One guy went to the back of the bays and took a Glock 26 out of a bag (obviously violating safety rules). Since he was pointing the gun in our direction (with finger in the trigger guard), I walked over and calmly put my hand on top of the slide and pointed it downrange. I asked him if the gun was loaded, but his English wasn’t very good. He didn’t like me grabbing his gun, and for some reason, he kept trying to point the gun at me. We ended up having a little grappling match while he was yelling at me in Chinese and his friends were trying to get in on the action. We ended with his gun pinned to the bench. After he finally let go, I discovered that gun was loaded and chambered. We left and informed the ROs (who never seem to pay attention to what’s going on in the bays).

4. I shot the roof

Another story from a different indoor range: Cletus and Billybob were in a lane to my left. They had one of those monster S&W revolvers for killing bears or Godzilla. It was so loud that I gave up trying to shoot and just watched them. After a couple of shots, Cletus was so twitchy that he was visibly shaking. He touched one off prematurely, and a ton of ceiling tile and dust rained down.
Cletus: “FUCK! I shot the roof…”
Billybob: “You idjut. They charge you like $20 every time you do that”
Cletus, looking up at the hundreds of holes in the ceiling: “Huh. They sure must make a lot of money that way.”

Glenn E. Meyer
03-16-2024, 11:37 AM
Told this before:

1. Outdoor rifle range. Cease fire called to redo targets. Grandpa kept shooting. Said he was in the military and knew how to shoot. His son lectured him as did the RO. Next cease fire, kept on. His son had to wrestle the rifle away and stuff him in the truck.

2. Same range, a guy walks up to the four of us with a Glock something, jammed out of battery with a round stuck partially in the chamber. Pointed right us and asking for help as it doesn't 'work' - eek!

3. New indoor range, the RO shows me how the fancy target controls work. I notice the holes in the ceiling - he says - look at this. Down the line (which are separated by thick transparent something) there is one partition with a big bullet hit and fracture pattern. Had to be holding right at it. OMG!

4. Saw a SKS go full auto, guy was able to hold it down range.

Chefdog
03-16-2024, 11:40 AM
Links to previous threads, so we can have all the good stories in one place:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?38903-Stuff-seen-at-the-gun-range
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23692-Curious-things-seen-at-local-gun-shop-or-shooting-range
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24931-Seen-at-the-range

Nice! Thanks, I knew I’d seen some good ones in the past.

GJM
03-16-2024, 02:51 PM
Jeff Cooper said that all males, by virtue of being born that way, think they are expert at firearms, driving and ....

rd62
03-16-2024, 03:12 PM
Fighting right?? 🤣

Stephanie B
03-16-2024, 03:26 PM
What kind of dumb shit have you seen or heard at your local range range beyond inane discussions of “man stopping ammo” and other such nonsense?

Some clown who closed the cylinder on his revolver each time by snapping his wrist.

Tapatio
03-16-2024, 03:41 PM
OK, not absurd sh!t I heard, but a public range story nonetheless.

At a now-closed outdoor public range in Northern California.

Guy sits down at the bench next to me with a scoped rifle. Soon as he uncases the rifle he starts pointing the muzzle all over the place- RO spots it and scolds him over the PA. That must've rattled him because as soon as he started shooting, holes began appearing in MY target rather than the one he'd placed downrange. I waited for a break in the action and said "excuse me sir, I believe you are shooting at my target. Yours is the one to the left of the one you've been shooting at."

Guy gets all huffy, immediately cases up his rifle and stalks off, no doubt to go tell his friends what a bunch of @ssholes they are down at that range.

I wasn't sad to see him go.

For the record, it was one of the cleanest, nicest, best-managed ranges I've ever been to, with overall great and friendly folks.

And there were just a few bullet holes in the roof over the benches.

lwt16
03-16-2024, 03:47 PM
I’ve seen so much stupidity at police, commercial, public, and private ranges that I will not set foot on one without a well stocked trauma kit. I have on the job saves using TacMed gear, was a department TECC instructor, currently a STBleed instructor, CPR etc.

Won’t. Set. Foot. On. One. Without. Gear.

Some of the worst I’ve seen was on PD ranges.

I took a 2 day class once and at the hour long safety briefing, the instructors passed around 8x10 glossy prints of real GSWs. That class was the safest one I ever attended.

Lex Luthier
03-16-2024, 03:56 PM

Guy sits down at the bench next to me with a scoped rifle. Soon as he uncases the rifle he starts pointing the muzzle all over the place- RO spots it and scolds him over the PA. That must've rattled him because as soon as he started shooting, holes began appearing in MY target rather than the one he'd placed downrange. I waited for a break in the action and said "excuse me sir, I believe you are shooting at my target. Yours is the one to the left of the one you've been shooting at."

Guy gets all huffy, immediately cases up his rifle and stalks off, no doubt to go tell his friends what a bunch of @ssholes they are down at that range.

For the record, it was one of the cleanest, nicest, best-managed ranges I've ever been to, with overall great and friendly folks.

Castro Valley? That was a nice range.

Suvorov
03-16-2024, 04:22 PM
Castro Valley? That was a nice range.

Yep. Good old Chabot. Of course it had to be shut down……..

Lex Luthier
03-16-2024, 04:50 PM

May the perpetrators of that evil deed suffer lifelong incurable pubic boils.

Clusterfrack
03-16-2024, 04:54 PM

Chabot was awesome.

Rex G
03-16-2024, 06:20 PM
I guess that I have disremembered stupid things I have heard at gun ranges. I did learn that I had to have a thick skin, and infinite patience, when I walked into a gun shop, while in police uniform. If I were not being asked for advice, because police know everything, I was being given advice, because cops don’t know sh!t.

I do appreciate the warning, that I should not shoot cup-and-saucer-ish, left-handed, at a range, when my gimpy right hand is having a bad day. I might find myself being detained by the cup-and-saucer police! Perhaps I will be OK if I apply a splint or bandage?

Clusterfrack
03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
I guess that I have disremembered stupid things I have heard at gun ranges. I did learn that I had to have a thick skin, and infinite patience, when I walked into a gun shop, while in police uniform. If I were not being asked for advice, because police know everything, I was being given advice, because cops don’t know sh!t.

I do appreciate the warning, that I should not shoot cup-and-saucer-ish, left-handed, at a range, when my gimpy right hand is having a bad day. I might find myself being detained by the cup-and-saucer police! Perhaps I will be OK if I apply a splint or bandage?

If you are not attractive and female, your chances of being offered unsolicited advice are pretty low.

DMF13
03-16-2024, 07:24 PM
If you are not attractive and female, your chances of being offered unsolicited advice are pretty low.Steve Anderson used to joke on his podcast that female shooters will get lots of unwanted, and genrally bad, advice, and the more attractive they are the more advice they'll get.

I was at the range a couple months ago, and while I was getting ready to shoot, a girl I recognized from some local matches showed up. I have never spoken with her, but remembered her, because the month before she made A class, and lots of her friends were congratulating her during cleanup. She's mid to late 20s, and pretty.

At the time it I got to the range, it was only a couple tactical timmys sharing a lane, that girl, and me. Before she could even fire a single round, the two tactical timmys started offering her shooting tips. I was highly entertained when she told them, "I'm pretty sure I can shoot way better than either of you guys. So would you mind just leaving me alone?" They walked away, clearly butt hurt, and soon after she began shooting they packed up and left, as she was correct in her assessment of their relative skills.

I normally try to ignore other shooters, but I was glad I got to see that.

Duelist
03-16-2024, 07:58 PM
Steve Anderson used to joke on his podcast that female shooters will get lots of unwanted, and genrally bad, advice, and the more attractive they are the more advice they'll get.

I was at the range a couple months ago, and while I was getting ready to shoot, a girl I recognized from some local matches showed up. I have never spoken with her, but remembered her, because the month before she made A class, and lots of her friends were congratulating her during cleanup. She's mid to late 20s, and pretty.

At the time it I got to the range, it was only a couple tactical timmys sharing a lane, that girl, and me. Before she could even fire a single round, the two tactical timmys started offering her shooting tips. I was highly entertained when she told them, "I'm pretty sure I can shoot way better than either of you guys. So would you mind just leaving me alone?" They walked away, clearly butt hurt, and soon after she began shooting they packed up and left, as she was correct in her assessment of their relative skills.

That’s awesome!

Years ago, my young wife and I were at an indoor range, and a young woman came and took the lane next to us with a stainless 4” Kframe.

Her shots were … all over the silhouette target. Literally, like feet between some hits. She started looking around after every shoot, covering her mouth. I was working on my DA trigger pull on my own Kframe, and taking turns with my wife (shooting my MKII Ruger), so I left the lady to her business.

Young lady leaves, and comes back with a range guy. He looked at her gun, dry fired it, fired a live round, says, “It’s fine,” like she had asked him if there was something wrong with her gun. Looked at her like she was dumb, and left.

We were done by then, and had started packing up. Young lady, meantime, shoots a few more rounds, and I paid a bit of attention. She would aim very, very carefully. And then yank through the whole long DA trigger pull all at once - muzzle whipping all over.. After another cylinder full, she pulled her target back, and looked just frustrated, mad, ready-to-cry mad.

“Would you like some advice?” I asked. She nods, my wife sits down to wait.

I unzipped the bag my old M10 was in, showed clear, and said, “This works just the same as yours, it’s just not shiny, ok?” Then I showed her how to roll through the DA trigger, and had her practice that dry about a dozen times.

She drilled all the next six inside the 10 ring. Happy smiles.

Range guy could have done that.

Borderland
03-16-2024, 08:04 PM
Jeff Cooper said that all males, by virtue of being born that way, think they are expert at firearms, driving and ....

I'm not an expert driver or shooter, but I do know a few things about sheep.

Duelist
03-16-2024, 08:07 PM
I'm not an expert driver or shooter, but I do know a few things about sheep.

They grow wool?

AMC
03-16-2024, 09:51 PM
Chabot was awesome.

Did my first private sector classes there in the early 90s. Great spot.

Joe in PNG
03-16-2024, 11:07 PM
If you are not attractive and female, your chances of being offered unsolicited advice are pretty low.

I'm neither, and had a range safety officer try to talk me into using the old Chapman stance.

Half Moon
03-17-2024, 09:52 AM

Seen hitting the next lane's target thing a few times. Usually by rifle 'shooters'. Most notably, lane next us at an indoor range unpacks an AR with a huge scope, sets their target at 3(!) Yards, and proceeds to make a shotgun gun pattern on our target at 7 yards. They did apologize - 'Just getting it zeroed in'... my thoughts - how many clicks to adjust POI four feet left? 😜

Rex G
03-17-2024, 11:36 AM
I saw a video of my then-wife-to-be braining a feral hog, with her S&W Model 66. While it was shot over bait, and was more like pest eradication than hunting, that was some shootin’! Flash-boom-flop-legs-trembling-in-the-air. While her shot-to-shot recovery could be faster, she does not really need much advice, on the matter of shooting revolvers.

Dov
03-17-2024, 12:43 PM
At gunshops not the range, so not sure it counts for this thread.

Have had several experts tell me you can't shoot 44 specials in 44 mag.

IME those experts don't know who Elmer Keith is, nor anything factual about development of the cartridge ether.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-17-2024, 12:51 PM
Had a guy try to sell me a 22 mag revolver as you could shoot 22 LR in it (without problems).

Cheap Shot
03-17-2024, 01:04 PM
Steve Anderson used to joke on his podcast that female shooters will get lots of unwanted, and genrally bad, advice, and the more attractive they are the more advice they'll get.

About ten years ago I was a regular at local USPSA matches. One match I'll never forget, I was squaded up with a group that included a father and high school age daughter team. On the first stage after running three or four shooters its daughters turn. At the beep she drops prone and shoots the COF from that position clean and a couple seconds faster than everyone else. No one else had shot that particular stage without moving between two positions. She excelled on every stage after that. Father was a good shot, daughter was a very,very good shot.

By the end of the match I don't think I was the only one who was temped to ask HER for tips on how to improve my shooting.

Never saw father/daughter again.

Chefdog
03-17-2024, 01:16 PM
Mentioned this before, I was taking my Texas CHL test. It was quite easy and all my shots were in the center bottle zone. A guy comes up to me and says you should have missed some...

This reminded me of what I saw at my VA CHP class back in January. During the classroom portion the instructor was asking about everyone’s experience level and asked us to grade ourselves on our experience/proficiency level from 1-10. There was a young guy probably in his early/mid twenties who brought an expensive 1911 (can’t remember exactly what make) who said he was probably an 8 and was pretty confident. Having seen some good shooters, I gave myself a 6, knowing that it had been 10yrs since I’d taken a class or done anything close to real training.
When it came time for the live fire, we lined up at 3 yards and were told to lock the slides back and show clear before being given the course of fire. The 1911 guy proceeded to wrestle with his pistol, attempting to use the safety to lock open the slide while pointing it at his own stomach…The instructor almost shit himself and yelled STOP at the top of his lungs. I stepped back and second guessed my decision to leave the IFAK in my car… When I wasn’t shooting I watched everyone else shoot from well behind the line for the rest of the class.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-17-2024, 01:29 PM
At a CHL test, three old folks brought a 1903 ish Colt 380 to share. They proceeded to load the rounds backwards in the mag. Also saw one shooter put his close range rounds into the next target to his. Last, in the Oregon NRA handgun class I took for my permit there, it was in an indoor range. The instructor gave us Gen 2 SW semis for the class and test. One guy shot down the wires for the target pulleys. He said the barrel must have been curved, so the round went up in a curved trajectory to do that.

Tapatio
03-17-2024, 08:30 PM

Yup. That was the spot. Many a good day spent there shooting milsurps.

Sometimes deer would wander onto the range and they'd have to shut down the firing line until they wandered off.

The park surrounding it was a nice place for a hike, too.

TQP
03-18-2024, 06:57 AM
I’ve seen so much stupidity at police, commercial, public, and private ranges that I will not set foot on one without a well stocked trauma kit. I have on the job saves using TacMed gear, was a department TECC instructor, currently a STBleed instructor, CPR etc.

Won’t. Set. Foot. On. One. Without. Gear.

Some of the worst I’ve seen was on PD ranges.

My range bag has it's own, dedicated, blow out kit. If I'm taking a class I bring my big aid bag, since in almost every class I take I end up as the designated responder or alternate. Gosh I wonder why?

I took a class once where they had, unironically, tampons in their kits. Once. (Late 2010s, so absolutely no excuse)

But nothing, absolutely NOTHING, that I've seen in 20+ years of gun owner/shooter, and about 5 of training junkie, matches what I heard a PD sergeant describe on their most recent range day. And he's laughing about it and I'm getting more and more horrified. I had to stop listening, it was that bad.

I think we all get complacent about the really dangerous shit deal with all the time, because we just get used to it. I've seen it with gas company guys out on leaks, and I can tell you I feel the same way about burning buildings. And I saw a similar attitude in the cold war era USAR where we were treating our always unloaded M16s as inert objects.

rob_s
03-18-2024, 09:24 AM
I'm getting better and better at the below in general in life. Not perfect, but better.

It's been my rule at the range for a long time.

I recently shot at a nice public range after maybe 8+ years of not having visited one. The rule is as apt as ever.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Not stupid stuff. When I shot at Bandera Gun Club - Tim Reedy of TDR Training gave a great intro before the matches to emergency procedure as to injures and how to call it in. For example, not saying there's been a shooting at ... This leads to a nasty law turnout.

Anyway, the club I shoot at now, didn't do such and I brought it up at a meeting. Now they do. A positive note.

Lex Luthier
03-18-2024, 10:49 AM
Not stupid stuff. When I shot at Bandera Gun Club - Tim Reedy of TDR Training gave a great intro before the matches to emergency procedure as to injures and how to call it in. For example, not saying there's been a shooting at ... This leads to a nasty law turnout.

Anyway, the club I shoot at now, didn't do such and I brought it up at a meeting. Now they do. A positive note.

That's a very encouraging sign, Glenn. You're at a good place.

Eugene
03-18-2024, 02:15 PM

Not my story but was told to me by an instructor (IT certification not firearms). Said he took a lady our on a date to a range. Started with a 6 shot DA revolver teaching her how to hold it, fire it, etc. Loaded 6 rounds, handed to her and she fired off all six saying "suffer, suffer, suffer, suffer, suffer, die" as she put the first 5 in the silhouette's crotch and the last in the head and then told him her older brothers taught her to shoot when she was younger.

Clusterfrack
03-18-2024, 02:22 PM

"There's been a training accident at XYZ Gun Club"

Tapatio
03-18-2024, 02:43 PM
Since this thread has shifted to calling it in.

My buddy and I rode up to the Chabot shooting range one time on motorcycles. It's a windy, hilly road through the park and they had just chip sealed it. My buddy hit a patch of loose gravel and dumped his bike, slid down the blacktop a ways and his bike was trashed. He was OK except for a bunch of quarter-size holes in his jeans with a little skin off under each one, and a postcard-sized patch of road rash on his upper arm, just a few layers of skin gone, no big deal.

I get him on the back of my bike and we carefully ride up to the range and ask the guy in the booth if they have any saline, sterile water or some clean bandages as my friend had a minor motorcycle accident and needed to clean up a bit (he was standing right there, fully conscious, just a bunch of holes in his pants)

Next thing we know, there's a medevac helicopter circling the range and they're gotten everyone off the firing line.

"Is that for us???"

We told the guy in the booth to call off the helicopter and it flew away without landing.

Then the local volunteer firefighters showed up and proceeded to try taking his blood pressure by putting the cuff over the road rash on his arm!

"Hey fellas, maybe you want to use the other arm instead?"

The final insult was they refused to give my buddy a ride back to the main road so I wouldn't have to navigate the loose gravel with a passenger on my bike. Insurance, don't ya know.

And we didn't get to do any shooting that day :(

FrankB
03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
A few PD’s use my local range for qualifying. I went there about 5 years ago, and a 6’4” Bucks County Park ranger was standing next to a moderately sized woman, and she looked seasoned enough. We were the only people at the range, and they set up a target at 25 yards. The guy yelled “Fire!”, but nothing happened. Rinse, lather, and repeat a few times, and still no bang. He gave her a bit of a lecture, and the next time he yelled, she actually cranked one off. The guy stood there was his eyes bulging like Coach Buzzcut, and yelled, “You DO know this is timed!” I almost fell over, so I left.

A year later, there were about 8 male officers huddled around one guy. It was a police sergeant trying to qualify, and they were all ready to pull their hair out. I asked one of the guys closest to me if the sergeant’s pistol was jammed, and he explained this was the routine every year with him.

Most Offensive:
Two Hispanic males walk into the aforementioned range 25 years ago. We had just bought a Marlin .22 for my son, and he wanted to shoot it. Out of nowhere, we heard one of the two males scream, “Freeze N-Word!” They were right next to the exit, and we were at the other end. I thought it was an attack of some sort, but they started laughing. After I determined our chances were pretty good, we tried to slip through the exit. One of them introduced himself, and asked me if there was any place nearby that they would be allowed to hunt deer with their 9mm whatever pistol. I was a bit more of a wise guy back then, and told them any of the county parks would be fine. They asked about a hunting license, and I told them they were only needed in state parks. I’d like to know what happened to those morons.

Scary Shit I’ve Seen at a Range: Same range as above, and the weekend crazies were everywhere. I walked in just to take a pic, and then ran!

Chefdog
03-18-2024, 04:30 PM

At a recent Green-Ops class I took this was the exact wording they discussed during the thorough medical briefing. I was impressed by the detail and time they took going through it. Made me feel good getting onto the line with 11 other shooters I’d never met before.

Palmguy
03-18-2024, 06:19 PM
This thread makes me appreciate even more having the good fortune to be able to shoot at work by myself.

HCM
03-18-2024, 09:04 PM

Just to spell it out.

The issue with telling 911 there has been a shooting vs a “training accident” is not a “nasty law response” but rather that EMS /Fire doesn’t normally respond to hostile / unsecured crime scenes for their own safety. For a “shooting” EMS/fire will stage nearby until law enforcement responds and declares the science “secure.” All of which results in an unnecessary delay in providing medical treatment in the case of an accidental shooting.