PDA

View Full Version : Wrangler ATG Shirt--- CCW Fashion Statement

NETim
03-12-2024, 04:21 PM
I picked up a few of these shirts in an effort to update my warm weather cover. IMHO they are very well made, offer some UV protection, look okay and don't scream "JOE TACTICAL"!!!!

Limited color selection on Amazon anyway, but that's life. The "pine plaid" appears blue on my Chromebook but it is indeed a shade of green. Pine's as good a word as any I guess. :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B88P5GBB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

HeavyDuty
03-12-2024, 04:57 PM
I picked up a few of these shirts in an effort to update my warm weather cover. IMHO they are very well made, offer some UV protection, look okay and don't scream "JOE TACTICAL"!!!!

Limited color selection on Amazon anyway, but that's life. The "pine plaid" appears blue on my Chromebook but it is indeed a shade of green. Pine's as good a word as any I guess. :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B88P5GBB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Those look decent, I wore a much cheaper Wrangler shirt via Walmart for cover for years. Since I got to Texas I started wearing local camouflage in the form of Magellan brand fishing shirts.

vcdgrips
03-12-2024, 05:44 PM
Presumptions:

Long Sleeves

Synthetic w some wicking/anti UVA properties

Loadstar set at 39.99 by the Wrangler ATG find on Amazon

Wrangler has been exceeding the intersection of quality/value in this space for a while and has an "advantage" of being sold/widely available online and in store at many Walmart/Target locations.

REI/Moosejaw/Back Country/Academy/Scheels/Dicks etc are all running sales on "winter" stuff as well.

NETim
03-12-2024, 05:54 PM
Presumptions:

Long Sleeves

Synthetic w some wicking/anti UVA properties

Loadstar set at 39.99 by the Wrangler ATG find on Amazon

Wrangler has been exceeding the intersection of quality/value in this space for a while and has an "advantage" of being sold/widely available online and in store at many Walmart/Target locations.

REI/Moosejaw/Back Country/Academy/Scheels/Dicks etc are all running sales on "winter" stuff as well.

It is a long sleeve but has a button and loop arrangement that will keep the sleeves rolled up just past the elbows. I do not like long sleeve shirts but I can live with this arrangement.

I haven't worn this shirt out in truly hot weather yet. It's pretty light fabric but how well it breathes, I dunno.

revchuck38
03-12-2024, 08:03 PM
Since I got to Texas I started wearing local camouflage in the form of Magellan brand fishing shirts.

Mine are Columbia (thrift store - $5?) and Eddie Bauer (Sam's Club - $15).

MountainRaven
03-12-2024, 10:23 PM
On the subject of buttons and loops:

Why?

I've never rolled up a long-sleeve shirt and had it spontaneously unroll on me. And the button and loop often, in my experience, result in the sleeves being rolled up either higher or lower than I want.

medmo
03-12-2024, 11:47 PM
Untucked Wrangler Wrancher pearl snap shirts from Tractor Supply work quite nicely. Matching them up with a pair of Cowboy Cut jeans and shit kickers works well as rural camo in my part of Texas. :)

okie john
03-13-2024, 07:25 AM
Untucked Wrangler Wrancher pearl snap shirts from Tractor Supply work quite nicely. Matching them up with a pair of Cowboy Cut jeans and shit kickers works well as rural camo in my part of Texas. :)

And when it gets hot, you can just cut the sleeves off.

Okie John

HeavyDuty
03-13-2024, 07:30 AM
On the subject of buttons and loops:

Why?

I've never rolled up a long-sleeve shirt and had it spontaneously unroll on me. And the button and loop often, in my experience, result in the sleeves being rolled up either higher or lower than I want.

They always fall for me. This winter I picked up a couple of Magellan long sleeve fishing shirts that have the tab, and I like how they work. But the majority of the time I wear short sleeves, even in what passes for winter down here.

HeavyDuty
03-13-2024, 07:31 AM

I’ll have to check those out.

vcdgrips
03-13-2024, 08:00 AM
Solid advice all. I suspect that as spring is upon us, short sleeve versions of the Wranger ATG or similar shirts will be widely available. Retail under 30USD.

Proof of concept re cut, snap v button closure, fabric blends, “hand”, sleeve length and color can almost always be sourced at vintage/thrift stores in the sub 10 USD range.

RoyGBiv
03-13-2024, 08:02 AM

$12 bucks on clearance for the print version.. Under $20 for plaids... (not a fan of plaid (YMMV), but, a good price)
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/wrangler-mens-wrancher-print-short-sleeve-shirt

FYI... Walmart also carries some of these..

Also FYI... Our local ACE has a trendy sort of fashion store inside... they do seasonal closeouts on the higher end Wrangler clothing... some pretty good deals on the Wrangler 20x shirts... much better quality than the TS or Wally stuff, but pricier ($60) when not on sale.

CraigS
03-13-2024, 04:00 PM
So how does it come out of the drier? Need ironing? I got started on fishing shirts a few years ago. Sold everywhere in a wide variety of quality and prices. Everyone expects them to be worn loose so easy to cover the pistol on my hip. But dang so many need ironing, I even sprang for $65 Columbia brand on sale figuring for sure this would be wrinkle free. Nope no better than a lot of $25-30 ones I already have.

RoyGBiv
03-13-2024, 04:11 PM
So how does it come out of the drier? Need ironing?

I have a couple of the Wrangler 20x that I wear straight out of the dryer... for work or casual, not a problem... If I was going someplace fancy in them, I'd give them a quick iron..

Can't speak to the OP's version.. yet..

DDTSGM
03-13-2024, 09:42 PM
So how does it come out of the drier? Need ironing? I got started on fishing shirts a few years ago. Sold everywhere in a wide variety of quality and prices. Everyone expects them to be worn loose so easy to cover the pistol on my hip. But dang so many need ironing, I even sprang for $65 Columbia brand on sale figuring for sure this would be wrinkle free. Nope no better than a lot of $25-30 ones I already have.

I like Ariat for no ironing right out of the drier.

Same thing with their jeans, they have supplante Carharts as my dress jeans.

CraigS
03-14-2024, 06:07 AM
Thanks guys, I am putting the no iron rec's in my phone notes.

mmc45414
03-14-2024, 08:17 AM

Okie John

medmo
03-14-2024, 10:41 AM

Okie John

Oh man, I didn't know about the waiting until it gets hot thing. Is there some kind of rule or policy? Your supposed to wait until it gets hot before hacking off the sleeves? :D

okie john
03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Oh man, I didn't know about the waiting until it gets hot thing. Is there some kind of rule or policy? Your supposed to wait until it gets hot before hacking off the sleeves? :D

You can cut them off in the store. They'll throw them away for you.

Okie John

PNWTO
03-14-2024, 07:25 PM
Solid advice all. I suspect that as spring is upon us, short sleeve versions of the Wranger ATG or similar shirts will be widely available. Retail under 30USD.

Here’s hoping, like the style and a short sleeve would be great for the upcoming “flip flops and shorts” season.

Could without the logo but that’s easy enough to remove.

mmc45414
03-14-2024, 07:50 PM
This dang place...

ETA: Have dropped a few pounds and have migrated to Shield Plus more of the time, trying a smaller size as a weight loss reward. When I am too fat I need a bigger size to cover a gun, and since none of this makes me taller it is not such a good look...

John Hearne
03-18-2024, 09:48 PM
They're long sleeve but I've been running the long sleeve shirts from LAPG. They go great with their jeans.