PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on re-finishing a handgun (specifically a slide)

VolGrad
03-31-2011, 01:23 PM
I am half-interested in having one of my GLOCK slides done in something like NP3, Cera-Hide, Cera-Kote, or similar …. something with a satin grayish look to it.

The sole reason is for aesthetics (two-tone look). The slide currently shows only moderate wear and I know the metal is in no danger of corrosion, etc. due to the Tenifer treatment. I simply think the NP3 (or similar) looks good. As I’ve cut loose a bunch of my handguns that don’t get shot I figured I might show an old faithful EDC some love. This gun has thousands of rounds through it, has taken me through multiple classes, and has had the frame reduces and stippled by Ben @ Boresight Solutions.

Is there any reason I should NOT do it? Two reasons I can already think of people might throw out include *waste of money and *might cause glare and reduce concealability. I am OK with these two.

Would re-finishing the slide have ANY potential negative effect whatsoever on reliability? If this is at ALL an issue then I will nix the idea immediately.

Thoughts?

JV_
03-31-2011, 01:26 PM
It's funny how different tastes are. I wish the slide of my EXO'd Glock 17 was black, rather than silver.

VolGrad
03-31-2011, 01:30 PM
It's funny how different tastes are. I wish the slide of my EXO'd Glock 17 was black, rather than silver.

We should trade slides. I have a OD G17 that would look great with that slide on top. :cool:

ToddG
03-31-2011, 03:26 PM
A pretty slide won't get you any closer to making Advanced on the F.A.S.T...

It's one more thing that can get done wrong, go wrong, or otherwise be a variable if/when problems arise with the pistol.

Kyle Reese
03-31-2011, 03:53 PM
In retrospect, I regret wasting my money on getting two Glock slides ceracoated. That money would have been better spent on another training class or ammo.

My PT M&P slide has a bit of holster wear on it & I see it as a badge of honor.

VolGrad
03-31-2011, 05:15 PM
It's one more thing that can get done wrong, go wrong, or otherwise be a variable if/when problems arise with the pistol.

Why is it the voice in my head is starting to talk with a yankee accent?

I do see finish wear as "cool" though. It shows you are doing something rather than just toting it around or leaving it in the safe.

TAP
03-31-2011, 07:19 PM
It's a glock! They weren't built for looks. Why bother?

JV_
03-31-2011, 07:57 PM
What's the refinishing cost?

I bet it's a good down payment towards your next pistol-training.com class :)

VolGrad
03-31-2011, 08:49 PM
What's the refinishing cost?

I bet it's a good down payment towards your next pistol-training.com class :)
Hardly ..... the re-finish of a GLOCK slide by CCR is about $75ish. :cool:

It's not about the money though. My whole issue is whether or not it would/could potentially affect reliability.

Odin Bravo One
04-01-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm a big fan of spray paint...........