PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Pods like moving service

LittleLebowski
03-03-2024, 09:21 AM
From Virginia to Wyoming. Pods isn’t available in my destination. I'll need to store it on my property for some time until we move.

Half Moon
03-03-2024, 11:24 AM
From Virginia to Wyoming. Pods isn’t available in my destination.

We've had good luck with ABF though it's a walled off semi trailer and not pods:

https://www.upack.com/about-upack/abf

Last move though the only available option (that didn't endpoint 80 miles away) were the U-Haul pods. They were inconveniently sized and pricy but worked. Figure they have to be the lowest common denominator for likely being available where nothing else is.

5pins
03-03-2024, 12:35 PM
I'll second ABF. We have used them a few times.

luckyman
03-03-2024, 01:34 PM
We've had good luck with ABF though it's a walled off semi trailer and not pods:

Last move though the only available option (that didn't endpoint 80 miles away) were the U-Haul pods. They were inconveniently sized and pricy but worked. Figure they have to be the lowest common denominator for likely being available where nothing else is.

What Half Moon said.

LittleLebowski
03-03-2024, 03:23 PM

I looked at the U-boxes and hate them. I’d rather a standard Pod.

DMF13
03-03-2024, 06:07 PM
Have you looked at U-Box from U-Haul?

Sorry PODS isn't available for you. I used them for my last move, and it was great.

EDIT: Sorry I should have read all the way through. Sorry those won't work for you.

Tapatio
03-03-2024, 09:48 PM
I looked at the U-boxes and hate them. I’d rather a standard Pod.

I just moved some furniture from one coast to the other with a U-box and it was mostly fine. $1900 for one box coast to coast; it's a big plywood box with a vinyl covering to keep the rain out. 24 moving blankets included. They tell you to fold them back up when you're done or they'll charge you $25. You put your own lock on it. Delivered on time via forklift to my driveway. Arrived two weeks later to my other driveway, two days later than promised, for which I got a credit of $50/day = $100.

The only weird part was I had to contract with a local mover to deliver the box. When booking the reservation online U-haul gave me a choice of three movers, I selected one, and he texted me almost immediately. We exchanged a lot of text messages the day before the delivery: him wanting me to confirm the location and time of the pickup (he said they sometimes tell him the wrong info) and then when the cross-country truck was delayed, a whole lot more texts trying to organize things with the dropoff guy and also with customer service to see about the credit for "guaranteed delivery."

Day of delivery he arrives with a pickup truck and the box on a small U-haul trailer. Unload was quick and easy, and the moving guy was obviously a one-man operation, but he was nice enough.

I'd give it four stars.

LittleLebowski- curious what you didn't like about the U-box?

RevolverRob
03-03-2024, 10:06 PM
We did Packrat from WA to NY a little over a year ago. I'm 50/50 on if I'd use them again. Boxes were well constructed, but getting the damn things delivered and picked up and delivered was a pain in the ass (not delivering them on schedule). They weren't cheap either at ~6k/container.

We did UBoxes from IL to WA the year before that. They also were not cheap, but in the ~18-months between moves, the UBox price nigh doubled. For awhile UHaul had metal uboxes that look like their cargo trailers. They're much better, but not common. The plywood things did fine for Chicago to Seattle.

luckyman
03-04-2024, 12:51 AM
I just moved some furniture from one coast to the other with a U-box and it was mostly fine. $1900 for one box coast to coast; it's a big plywood box with a vinyl covering to keep the rain out. 24 moving blankets included. They tell you to fold them back up when you're done or they'll charge you $25. You put your own lock on it. Delivered on time via forklift to my driveway. Arrived two weeks later to my other driveway, two days later than promised, for which I got a credit of $50/day = $100.

The only weird part was I had to contract with a local mover to deliver the box. When booking the reservation online U-haul gave me a choice of three movers, I selected one, and he texted me almost immediately. We exchanged a lot of text messages the day before the delivery: him wanting me to confirm the location and time of the pickup (he said they sometimes tell him the wrong info) and then when the cross-country truck was delayed, a whole lot more texts trying to organize things with the dropoff guy and also with customer service to see about the credit for "guaranteed delivery."

Day of delivery he arrives with a pickup truck and the box on a small U-haul trailer. Unload was quick and easy, and the moving guy was obviously a one-man operation, but he was nice enough.

I'd give it four stars.

U boxes are f’ing small, is one issue. Forget taking even a normal sized couch.

LittleLebowski
03-04-2024, 09:13 AM

Lack of security and size.

LittleLebowski
03-04-2024, 09:14 AM
I also need to keep whatever I get for about 2.5 months, for storage before it goes to Wyoming.