PDA

View Full Version : Recoil question...

Audioverture
11-14-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm a new member and new to handguns for that mater so please excuse the newbee question.

Last weekend I was shooting a friends small frame .357 mag snub nose revolver (I'm guessing it weighed in under 20 oz.) and found the recoil to be quite sharp and uncomfortable. While it was manageable, it was definitely not a gun I would want to shoot daily!

With that said, I have been looking at the Ruger .44 SRH Alaskan (2.5 inch barrel and weighing in at 45 oz.) as I spend quite a bit of time in the wilderness.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with small .357s and the Alaskan .44 that might be able to shed some light on felt recoil between the two. I am hoping the extra 25 plus ounces and three finger hogue grip of the Alaskan makes up for the added power produced by the .44.

Any input is much appreciated!

jetfire
11-14-2012, 08:34 PM
I would much rather shoot .44 Magnums out of a 2.5 inch Alaskan than shoot full house .357 loads out of a lightweight 5 shot j-frame. Plus, if you load the Alaskan with some .44 Special for practice, it'll actually be fun to shoot.