PDA

View Full Version : Archon Type-B: First Fifty

MattyD380
02-23-2024, 11:29 PM
I haven’t seen much about this gun on PF, so I figured I’d share my initial impressions—which, in a nutshell, are…

It’s neat. It works. It’s accurate. And after 50 rounds… I like it.

But, more specifically…

This gun exists (along with its cousin, the Arsenal Strike 1) because of its unique breech-lock mechanism—the AF Speedlock system. It’s also sometimes called the Bergman System. Long story short, the barrel retracts under recoil, but doesn’t tilt. A separate part locks the barrel and slide together; this gets cammed down under recoil, until it clears some locking lugs in the slide. This unlocks the system and allows the slide to fully cycle.

In a sense, it achieves the same thing as a Walther/Beretta falling block, but via different mechanics. Also… it uses a 3-spring telescoping recoil assembly. Which is pretty freakin’ cool.

If I had to describe the shooting characteristics in one word, I’d say it’s “direct.”

The bore axis is low and the ergos feel very “intimate.” The trigger reach is short and the trigger breaks with a crisp, understated snap… after a touch of squish. I’d say the recoil impulse falls somewhere between a Beretta 92 and Walther PPK—it has some of that plush, buoyant feel you get with a 92, but it’s a bit more jolty and percussive. It’s not abrasive or unpleasant, like a straight blowback… but it does have some visceral punch. I liked it—it makes the recoil feel somewhat communicative. But I can’t say it’s necessarily a soft shooter.

And, not surprisingly, it shoots really flat. That’s kind of it’s selling point. And it’s true… but I think the feel—in terms of its direct, visceral shooting dynamics—is what intrigues me the most about it. But it is fun to tear through rounds super quickly.

Moreover, the build quality feels fantastic. The thing is heavy. It feels more like a metal gun than a polymer gun. And that makes sense, because there’s an all-metal internal frame inside its outer polymer shell. The slide is big, heavy and fat. All this equates to very solid, planted feel while shooting.

I found it to be very accurate—some nice cloverleafed patterns at 10 yards. Though, initially, I was shooting high. I had a hard time seeing the front fiber optic sight. But once I made a conscious effort bury the front post lower in the rear aperture, it started hitting right on.

The “grip mapping” texture is… livable. It’s aggressive. You feel it after a few mags. But it’s not awful and it does improve traction; though probably not as much as Talon grips. Which will also probably feel better.

I probably won’t carry it. Yet. The trigger is SAOy and of course there’s no safety. Though I’ll say it does seem to have a bit more takeup and “weighty squish” than, say, a PPQ trigger.

So, if you like, fast, flat shooting guns and you want something that gives you a visceral, direct shooting sensation—like a car with taught, sporty suspension… you might dig this thing.

Interestingly, this gun was made in 2017—back when the first batch of these things came into the country. In 2023, there was another batch imported and they’re available new, right now. Initially, some of the early guns had light primer strike issues, but I haven’t heard of any issues beyond that—which stands in contrast to the Archon’s cousin, the Strike 1. I often hear the Strike 1s are hit or miss, in terms of reliability.

I put up a YouTube short on it, too: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/oIpNmGmTCGg

Tokarev
02-23-2024, 11:42 PM
PTR is supposed to be transitioning to US production after this initial batch (or batches) is sold. Hopefully US production will mean the gun will finally catch on. No. It isn't a Glock killer but not everything has to be. This is a neat gun in its own right and can stand on its own merits.

I like the bird logo. It pays homage to the gun's lineage and its original name.

MattyD380
02-23-2024, 11:52 PM
PTR is supposed to be transitioning to US production after this initial batch (or batches) is sold. Hopefully US production will mean the gun will finally catch on. No. It isn't a Glock killer but not everything has to be. This is a neat gun in its own right and can stand on its own merits.

I like the bird logo. It pays homage to the gun's lineage and its original name.

Yeah, I had heard that was plan, too. Though I think they will be made in the Czech Republic for a while, until US production gets up and running. Agree--it's a very worthwhile gun and a cool design. Looking forward to shooting it more.

I also like the branding and the overall "aesthetic equity." Gives me some Romulan Tal Shiar vibes, with a touch of Sith Empire.

jeep45238
02-24-2024, 12:05 AM
That's really nifty. If you're up for allowing others to send some factory ammo through it, I'd love the opportunity.

pangloss
02-24-2024, 12:33 AM
I am formally requesting that the pistol be put through the 2K round challenge. I've been super curious about this pistol since the first variant was announced, so I greatly appreciate anything else you have to add as you put more rounds through it. Thanks for starting this thread.

backtrail540
02-24-2024, 07:11 AM
I am interested in trying the new one with the modular grip. Seems like a neat pistol. I've got a few in the queue before it will get any extra cash thrown it's way though but maybe one day.

Tokarev
02-27-2024, 01:05 PM
I am formally requesting that the pistol be put through the 2K round challenge.

With 9BPLE or a similar NATO type load. The gun is European after all and should be able to take the hotter ammo. JHP to test its ability to feed defensive ammo.....

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

MattyD380
02-28-2024, 01:42 AM
That's really nifty. If you're up for allowing others to send some factory ammo through it, I'd love the opportunity.

Yeah, man. We need to get together and shoot again. You're of course welcome to run some rounds through it!

MattyD380
02-28-2024, 01:49 AM
I am formally requesting that the pistol be put through the 2K round challenge. I've been super curious about this pistol since the first variant was announced, so I greatly appreciate anything else you have to add as you put more rounds through it. Thanks for starting this thread.

Hmm. Interesting. I had never actually considered doing a 2000 round challenge. Obviously expensive and seems hard on the gun. And I guess I never personally saw value in what I saw as putting "unreasonable" demands on a machine--but I suppose that's the whole point.

No promises. But... I'll definitely update as I go through rounds. And I'll probably end up doing a writeup/YouTube review on it at some point.

MattyD380
02-28-2024, 01:57 AM
I am interested in trying the new one with the modular grip. Seems like a neat pistol. I've got a few in the queue before it will get any extra cash thrown it's way though but maybe one day.

Yeah, the new grip design on the Gen 2 makes more sense, I think. The more I mess with the gun, the more I dislike the OG "grip-mapping" texture. It kinda keeps me from squeezing as hard as I want to. I put sandpaper grip tape on it tonight. Feels waaay better. But... other than the unappealing "native" grip texture, it's a naturally good-feeling pistol in the hand.

spyderco monkey
02-28-2024, 07:03 AM
With 9BPLE or a similar NATO type load. The gun is European after all and should be able to take the hotter ammo. JHP to test its ability to feed defensive ammo.....

The newest Winchester M1152 115gr for the MHS program is basically a FMJ 9BPLE (or even a bit hotter); 115gr @ 1300fps+. Pressure of 39,700psi per Winchester.

I suspect thats about the hottest factory load out there short of the 127gr +p+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqGTAAv1JtI

jellydonut
02-28-2024, 07:11 AM
What about the strut-like thing in the grip tang? Doesn't that irritate the web of your hand? Or do you somehow not notice it?

Tokarev
02-28-2024, 07:37 AM
The newest Winchester M1152 115gr for the MHS program is basically a FMJ 9BPLE (or even a bit hotter); 115gr @ 1300fps+. Pressure of 39,700psi per Winchester.

More velocity info for M1152 and also 9BPLE.

https://youtu.be/UeGfLTgB6YU?si=poNtHIanlGVUauKj

https://youtu.be/-hUU5EzMKBo?si=0cXNe2OMmjbLsJlT

backtrail540
02-28-2024, 01:08 PM
What about the strut-like thing in the grip tang? Doesn't that irritate the web of your hand? Or do you somehow not notice it?

I've wondered about this as well. I wrote it off to the camera but i can't, for the life of me, imagine it is not noticeable and discomforting.

MattyD380
02-28-2024, 01:15 PM

I don't notice it much.

If I'm gripping the gun really hard for a long period of time during dry fire practice or whatever... I start to feel it a little. But I can't say I noticed it while shooting. My hand seems to index against the underside of the beavertail/tang more than it does in the cleft where that thing resides; so the main pressure point is really above my hand vs. against that thing.

All that said...

I do kinda think it's a pointless feature.

MattyD380
02-28-2024, 01:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZyDdSxw7qg

Apparently, Nicola Bandini, one of the originators of the Strike/Archon design, struck out on his own and developed yet another evolution of the action and the pistol. This one works pretty much the same way... except the part that locks the barrel actually rotates instead of dropping. Interesting.

jeep45238
02-28-2024, 07:02 PM
Yeah, man. We need to get together and shoot again. You're of course welcome to run some rounds through it!

Agreed, it's been a while.

MattyD380
02-28-2024, 11:11 PM
Damn. Impressed. This thing can shoot.

The sandpaper tape really made a difference in terms of feel and control. At 10 yards, it's kind of a bullseye machine. And while I'm not much of a speed shooter, double taps are so fun with this thing; it definitely lives up to its reputation for shooting flat. If ever get back into USPSA, I might be takin' this bad boy. I experienced zero discomfort while shooting and, again, the little "strut thingy" under the grip tang was completely transparent.

I really like the trigger. It's not the lightest. It's not without a little creep. But it's predictable, plus the break feels uniquely crisp and precise. Instead of using a dingus, the entire trigger shoe pivots down before it engages the trigger bar. Once you feel the pivot, you can kinda ease into the break.

I'm not crazy about the sights. They're actually i-dot night sights--not the fiber optic setup you usually see on these guns. But the dot isn't particularly bright or easy to see. I know these guns can take Glock sights. I might look into some other options.

Finally, I had zero reliability issues--I've shot mainly 124gr PMC FMJ through it. The gun was dirty when I bought it and I haven't cleaned it yet. Though I did add some lube prior to range trips.

Cool gun. I'm diggin' it.

pangloss
03-02-2024, 11:20 PM
I want to be a good PF enabler, so I will point out that these pistols are down to about $750 on Gunbroker now. This pistol is very close to the top of my "to buy" list now.

pangloss
03-19-2024, 06:29 PM
I want to be a good PF enabler, so I will point out that these pistols are down to about $750 on Gunbroker now. This pistol is very close to the top of my "to buy" list now.

And now this pistol has been removed from my to buy list because I just ordered one. KYGunCo has them for about $750 (free shipping), which is cheaper than I could have gotten it on Gunbroker. I will report back on my impressions.

MattyD380
03-19-2024, 09:11 PM
And now this pistol has been removed from my to buy list because I just ordered one. KYGunCo has them for about $750 (free shipping), which is cheaper than I could have gotten it on Gunbroker. I will report back on my impressions.

That’s a damn good deal. I paid $700 for mine, used. Honestly… probably should have just sprung for a new one, at that price. Nevertheless, I’m very happy with mine. I think you’ll love how it shoots.

Tokarev
03-23-2024, 06:47 AM
American Rifleman review of the Gen Two gun:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/review-archon-type-b/

backtrail540
03-23-2024, 07:46 AM
The part explaining the "tendon depressor" was interesting and worth the article. What a strange design element.

Tokarev
03-23-2024, 08:44 AM
...the "tendon depressor" was...a strange design element.

It is certainly unique.

Didn't Caspian (or maybe EGW?) used to make a 1911 grip safety with a similar ridge in it?

Totem Polar
03-23-2024, 10:52 AM
The part explaining the "tendon depressor" was interesting and worth the article. What a strange design element.

Agreed. It is true that pressure so applied will influence the thumb and index finger to lock down together. I only know this because it’s a point of concern when I’m teaching music. This is the first time I can remember that particular anatomical quirk being applied to firearm design. Very interesting.

MattyD380
03-24-2024, 11:28 AM

That's a good article. It actually explains the gun's genesis in Russia and how the design was first produced by Arsenal in Italy (Strike 1), then RUAG (Archon). Apparently, Arsenal is still making the original Strike 1 variant; they're still available for sale, imported by American Precision Firearms.

When Archon production shifts to the US, I'm guessing it will actually be manufactured by PTR? I don't think RUAG has any US manufacturing facilities. It'll be interesting to see what happens to quality/reliability... aside from a batch of weak striker springs very early in production, the RUAG Archons have a pretty good track record for reliability.

In any case...

As the article says, I don't really notice the tendon thingy. Seems like a gimmick, to me. So does the grip-mapping texture. But this gun doesn't need gimmicks to shoot well. The Speedlock system and the unique adaptations to lower the bore axis are what make it feel special, in my opinion. And... the trigger is excellent.

I wish it came with a manual safety. So, it probably won't be carry gun for me. Plus... it's pretty big. But it's an amazing gun to shoot--especially for less than $800. I'm happy I grabbed mine.

Tokarev
03-24-2024, 12:36 PM
The relationship between Arsenal, RUAG and Archon is murky. At least to me.

Salient was involved early on and I think the Type B was pretty much built on their feedback. If I'm not mistaken the Archon USA name/importer/distributor was actually owned by or otherwise a part of Salient.

It further seems murky to me that we have essentially a full-size and compact version of the same gun but neither is made by the same factory. And then neither is imported by the same company. Is there some kind of Italian export restriction that forbids guns of a certain size or barrel length from being exported?

MattyD380
03-24-2024, 02:58 PM
Salient was involved early on and I think the Type B was pretty much built on their feedback. If I'm not mistaken the Archon USA name/importer/distributor was actually owned by or otherwise a part of Salient.

Yeah, I think you're exactly right. I remember when the original batch of Strike-1s evaporated, the US manifestation of what became Archon was called "PMG"--it was kind of a joint venture between Salient and Arsenal. There's actually a PF thread on it:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19585-GLOCK-KILLER-PMG-STRYK-B

At that point, the pistol was called the "Stryk-B." Basically a Salient-ized Strike-1 (though there were actual Strike-1s that Salient modded-up to be all dark and tactical, before the whole PMG/Archon thing... was a thing).

I'm not exactly sure what happened after that point, but I think there was some kinda lawsuit and PMG was renamed Archon. Not sure when they contracted with RUAG. Maybe that was the plan all along? Or maybe that was after the PMG/Archon shift? But the gun we got was essentially what Salient designed as the Stryk-B.

Wondering Beard
03-24-2024, 05:03 PM

Interesting indeed, but as one who has arthritis right in that area, it looks like something that could easily turn painful.

pangloss
03-25-2024, 09:03 PM
That’s a damn good deal. I paid $700 for mine, used. Honestly… probably should have just sprung for a new one, at that price. Nevertheless, I’m very happy with mine. I think you’ll love how it shoots.

My pistol arrived today, and I was able to get away at lunch to pick it up. My impressions after just handling it and some dry fire are very positive. It sit really low in my hand, and indexes similarly to my Glocks. Since ~80% of my shooting is through Glocks, the similarity is a good thing. I don't notice the strut thing under the beavertail at the top of the back strap. For now I'll view it as a gimmick, but maybe my opinion will change after I shoot it. Sights seem very good to me. The trigger breaks at about 4lb 4oz when I put the gauge at the very distal tip of the trigger. The trigger feels somewhat like an APX but with more creep and not as clean a break. I'd say that the trigger is generally on par with Glock, but maybe not quite as a good Gen5 pistol.

My big complaint is the location of the mag release. When I grip the pistol, the end of my right middle finger rest half on the mag release. I'd like to see the release moved up a little bit or just switch to a paddle mag release like HK. Having said that, I can't make the mag release release the mag with my middle finger. when I have a firing grip on the gun. I've also pressed hard against that finger with my support hand to try and drop the mag with no luck. I think the risk of accidently releasing the mag while shooting is pretty close to zero.

I hope to get away from work in time to shoot it on Thursday, but work is going to be crazy busy this week. I'll report more once I have some rounds through the gun.

Tokarev
03-25-2024, 09:32 PM
My pistol arrived today, and I was able to get away at lunch to pick it up. My impressions after just handling it and some dry fire are very positive. It sit really low in my hand, and indexes similarly to my Glocks. Since ~80% of my shooting is through Glocks, the similarity is a good thing. I don't notice the strut thing under the beavertail at the top of the back strap. For now I'll view it as a gimmick, but maybe my opinion will change after I shoot it. Sights seem very good to me. The trigger breaks at about 4lb 4oz when I put the gauge at the very distal tip of the trigger. The trigger feels somewhat like an APX but with more creep and not as clean a break. I'd say that the trigger is generally on par with Glock, but maybe not quite as a good Gen5 pistol.

My big complaint is the location of the mag release. When I grip the pistol, the end of my right middle finger rest half on the mag release. I'd like to see the release moved up a little bit or just switch to a paddle mag release like HK. Having said that, I can't make the mag release release the mag with my middle finger. when I have a firing grip on the gun. I've also pressed hard against that finger with my support hand to try and drop the mag with no luck. I think the risk of accidently releasing the mag while shooting is pretty close to zero.

I hope to get away from work in time to shoot it on Thursday, but work is going to be crazy busy this week. I'll report more once I have some rounds through the gun.One complaint I've seen from users with big meaty hands is that the bottpm of the shooting hand touches the long aft section of the mag base plate. This keeps the mag from dropping when empty.

pangloss
03-25-2024, 09:52 PM
One complaint I've seen from users with big meaty hands is that the bottpm of the shooting hand touches the long aft section of the mag base plate. This keeps the mag from dropping when empty.

I have medium hands, and fortunately my dominant hand doesn't contact the mag at all when I have a firing grip on the gun. Having said that, I can certainly see how it could be a problem for people with larger hands. I don't understand the zig-zig mag plates. That's another things I don't like about the APX. Is this design element just for visual interest or is there supposed to be some functional advantage? I sure can't think of any supposed advantage!

Tokarev
03-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Is this design element just for visual interest...

That's my guess.

MattyD380
03-26-2024, 12:09 AM

I hope to get away from work in time to shoot it on Thursday, but work is going to be crazy busy this week. I'll report more once I have some rounds through the gun.

Awesome. Yeah, curious to hear your perspective on how it shoots. As a point of contrast... I don't shoot Glocks at all, and I really like the Archon. Feels natural and intuitive. Though, initially, it did want to point a bit high. But it was no problem adjusting.

My middle finger also hits the mag release. It's not ideal. But I can't say I really noticed it while shooting. I think I just instinctively tucked my finger under the button and forgot about it.

Do you have the fiber optic sights or the "Real 8" tritium sights? I have the latter. I kinda find the front sight hard to pick up, sometimes. The thing also takes Glock sights, allegedly.

Interesting to hear your take on the trigger. Definitely some creep/squish. But the break, I think, has a subdued quality to it that I just... like.

pangloss
03-26-2024, 08:23 PM
Awesome. Yeah, curious to hear your perspective on how it shoots. As a point of contrast... I don't shoot Glocks at all, and I really like the Archon. Feels natural and intuitive. Though, initially, it did want to point a bit high. But it was no problem adjusting.

My middle finger also hits the mag release. It's not ideal. But I can't say I really noticed it while shooting. I think I just instinctively tucked my finger under the button and forgot about it.

Do you have the fiber optic sights or the "Real 8" tritium sights? I have the latter. I kinda find the front sight hard to pick up, sometimes. The thing also takes Glock sights, allegedly.

Interesting to hear your take on the trigger. Definitely some creep/squish. But the break, I think, has a subdued quality to it that I just... like.

I have the fiber optic front sight. I think this is actually the first pistol I've had with a fiber optic front sight. These sights are much finer than the Ameriglo Agent/Bold sights on my Glocks. My guess is that I'll be a little bit slower, but I'm hoping I'll shoot better at 15-25 yards. I really hope I get to shoot it on Thursday!

pangloss
03-28-2024, 09:24 PM
I left work early enough to make it to the range today. Overall, I like the Archon. I lubed the pistol before I shot it, and the gun didn't have any problems over the course of 200 rounds. The first 100 rounds were 124 gr NATO, so a bit hotter than regular range ammo. Then I put 50 rounds of 124 gr Norma through it followed by 50 rounds of 115 gr New Republic. The recoil impulse is different from the Glock. I feel like the gun shoots flatter, but it's definitely not softer. I'm not the best at tracking my sights during recoil, but after about 180 rounds, I could do that fairly well--probably better than with my Glocks.

I've dry fired it a lot this week, and I've noticed that when the striker releases, the gun jumps a little to the right. I'm right-handed and spent a lot of time curing myself of the down and left problem that plagues a lot of Glock shooters. Having this gun bump to the right was weird, and 100% predictive of how I shot live fire. My first run at the 2" dots on the Langdon Tactical Target showed about half the shots hitting an inch to the right of the dot. I was able to clean this up with some extra concentration, so no big worries. Sights are "drive the dot" for me, which matches how my other pistols are set up.

The directional texturing on the pistol seems like a really good idea, but I don't think it works very well. My other complaint is that the gun frequently "auto forwards" when I reload. This is my biggest complaint about the gun. Aside from that, it seems like a solid pistol. Right now my plan is to go ahead and attempt the 2K Round Challenge. No buyer's remorse here. I doubt I'll ever use this as a carry pistol, but honestly the novelty of the design is reason enough for me to own it. Now I need a P08 Luger and a Remington R51...

MattyD380
03-28-2024, 10:05 PM
I left work early enough to make it to the range today. Overall, I like the Archon. I lubed the pistol before I shot it, and the gun didn't have any problems over the course of 200 rounds. The first 100 rounds were 124 gr NATO, so a bit hotter than regular range ammo. Then I put 50 rounds of 124 gr Norma through it followed by 50 rounds of 115 gr New Republic. The recoil impulse is different from the Glock. I feel like the gun shoots flatter, but it's definitely not softer. I'm not the best at tracking my sights during recoil, but after about 180 rounds, I could do that fairly well--probably better than with my Glocks.

I've dry fired it a lot this week, and I've noticed that when the striker releases, the gun jumps a little to the right. I'm right-handed and spent a lot of time curing myself of the down and left problem that plagues a lot of Glock shooters. Having this gun bump to the right was weird, and 100% predictive of how I shot live fire. My first run at the 2" dots on the Langdon Tactical Target showed about half the shots hitting an inch to the right of the dot. I was able to clean this up with some extra concentration, so no big worries. Sights are "drive the dot" for me, which matches how my other pistols are set up.

The directional texturing on the pistol seems like a really good idea, but I don't think it works very well. My other complaint is that the gun frequently "auto forwards" when I reload. This is my biggest complaint about the gun. Aside from that, it seems like a solid pistol. Right now my plan is to go ahead and attempt the 2K Round Challenge. No buyer's remorse here. I doubt I'll ever use this as a carry pistol, but honestly the novelty of the design is reason enough for me to own it. Now I need a P08 Luger and a Remington R51...

Nice! Thanks for sharing. Some of your impressions match mine—definitely agree with “flat but not soft.” I mean, it’s not like the recoil is in any way unpleasant. But it recoils toward you, not up… thus, as logic would dictate, you feel it.

I’m also not a fan of the grip texture. Granulate grip tape made all the difference for me.

As far as the trigger, I find the gun stays pretty planted when the trigger breaks. But who knows how much mine has been shot/broken in. Looking forward to your 2000-round challenge.

I’m finishing up a review on my Daewoo DP-51, then I plan to start shooting the Archon a lot more.

Tokarev
03-29-2024, 08:41 AM
Some historical info:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/05/29/the-real-story-behind-russian-origins-of-strike-one-stryk-b-pistol/

And possibly a long slide (aka Strike One?) version:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2024/03/26/iwa-2024-archon-firearms-archon-a/

pangloss
03-30-2024, 03:15 PM
I put 200 more rounds through the Archon today. I shot 115 gr New Republic, made in Hungary, purchased from Target Sports. This is some of the dirtiest brass-cased ammo I've come across. The auto-forwarding still happens more often than not and more frequently with one mag than the other. In any case, the pistol completed the cycle each time it was fired, so no failures to report yet.

pangloss
03-30-2024, 03:29 PM
Some historical info:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/05/29/the-real-story-behind-russian-origins-of-strike-one-stryk-b-pistol/

And possibly a long slide (aka Strike One?) version:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2024/03/26/iwa-2024-archon-firearms-archon-a/

That's for posting those links. I'd not seen either before.

MattyD380
04-26-2024, 10:39 PM
No issues.

I cleaned and lubed it after my 2/28 range trip. Put about 100 rounds through it. Didn't clean it or relube it, sat for 2 weeks... then 60+ rounds. Didn't clean or relube it, sat for another week... then 100+ rounds. Mix of 115 and 124 FMJ.

I realize PF is the land of the 2000-round challenge and that's not blowing anyone's mind. But I'd say it bodes well for the gun's reliability. I'll probably shoot one more time before I finish writing the review on my blog.

Overall, my shooting impressions haven't changed a whole lot in the past few hundred rounds. It offers a very direct, visceral shooting experience. Though, as pangloss pointed out, the mag release does dig into your middle-finger tip on your strong hand. I'm finding I notice that a bit more, now. Certainly not a deal breaker, but it's mildly annoying. Hopefully they'll offer a more low profile button, at some point. So far, I have not had any of the "auto forward" slide release situations Pangloss encountered.

pangloss
04-26-2024, 10:58 PM
No issues.

I cleaned and lubed it after my 2/28 range trip. Put about 100 rounds through it. Didn't clean it or relube it, sat for 2 weeks... then 60+ rounds. Didn't clean or relube it, sat for another week... then 100+ rounds. Mix of 115 and 124 FMJ.

I realize PF is the land of the 2000-round challenge and that's not blowing anyone's mind. But I'd say it bodes well for the gun's reliability. I'll probably shoot one more time before I finish writing the review on my blog.

Overall, my shooting impressions haven't changed a whole lot in the past few hundred rounds. It offers a very direct, visceral shooting experience. Though, as pangloss pointed out, the mag release does dig into your middle-finger tip on your strong hand. I'm finding I notice that a bit more, now. Certainly not a deal breaker, but it's mildly annoying. Hopefully they'll offer a more low profile button, at some point. So far, I have not had any of the "auto forward" slide release situations Pangloss encountered.

Thanks for the update! I'm at 850 rounds now, and I bought a AIWB holster from Tier 1. I've not cleaned of lubed the pistol since the first round fired. I've put 115, 124, and 147 grain ammo through mine, including a box of 147 HST and 124 +P Gold Dots. It'll be a little while before I get to 2000 rounds, but that's my plan at the moment. The mag release bothers me less than it did to begin with, but auto forwarding is still annoying. I still like the pistol but still can't shoot it as well as my Glocks. On days that I'm shooting well, I seem to shoot it very well. Tracking the sights seems easier than with my non-PX4 pistols. However, on days when I don't shoot well, shots will feel good when they break but not go where I meant them too. It's difficult for me to diagnose my problems on those days. Nevertheless, I have zero regrets about buying the pistol.

Tokarev
05-10-2024, 10:59 AM
The Gen 2 is in stock here:

https://atlanticfirearms.com/archon-type-b-gen2-9mm-threaded