PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Consumption Issue

JV_
03-31-2011, 11:59 AM
I seem to be pacing myself at 3K rounds per month. With the current prices of ammo, I can't sustain that level of training.

What do you do to hit the range frequently, train with a similar gun, and work on becoming more proficient? I generally hit the range with goal and specific tasks to work on, and consume about 300 rounds / trip.

I will likely be giving my AA Glock upper a lot more use, I just wish I had one for a Gen4 19 rather than a Gen3 17.

Dryfire drills don't do it for me ...

VolGrad
03-31-2011, 12:05 PM
What do you do to hit the range frequently, train with a similar gun, and work on becoming more proficient? I generally hit the range with goal and specific tasks to work on, and consume about 300 rounds / trip.

I don't shoot near the rounds you do per month but our range trips are prob similar. I also try to have an agenda in mind each trip and shoot between 250-350 rounds on average. I believe I heard LAV say anything more than that is just "masturbating the gun".

Have you considered the SIRT pistol? It's still dry fire but more than what we normally think of as dry fire. I want one but am still deciding if I want to get the G17 or wait until the G19 comes out.

Jason
03-31-2011, 12:11 PM
I think it depends on the shooter, certainly decreasing the amount of times you go to the range would be helpful. Also, while at the range work on the vicker's style ball and dummy/dryfire remedial drills that he uses. Work in dry fire at the range, draws, turning ect. That will slow you down. Work press outs with your aa kit.

Frankly, you may actually make some gains if you cut your range sessions DOWN in frequency. Gives you time to forget some of all the little bad habits we all acquire.

ToddG
03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
So right now you're going to the range about twice a week and shooting about 300rd per session.

Switch to one range session per week and instead do 15 minutes of dedicated dry fire twice a week. I know you don't want to. Suck it up. You either get in the reps, or you don't.

Incorporate the AA kit as much as possible. Yes, the gun is different a little bit. The trigger is probably close to the same. You can work marksmanship, press-outs, and other manipulations with the .22 and use a lot less "real" bullets in a typical training day.

jetfire
03-31-2011, 01:46 PM
I second the SIRT pistol as well; I really think it's a fabulous training tool. Especially if you're like me and don't really enjoy dry firing.

gringop
03-31-2011, 01:53 PM
I generally hit the range with goal and specific tasks to work on, and consume about 300 rounds / trip.

Dryfire drills don't do it for me ...

What are your mid range goals? Not your individual goals per session but say 6 month or 1 year goals. If you don't have any then make some and work only on drills that will get you to those goals. Don't waste ammo on anything else. Do drills that don't eat ammo. Bill Drills run once or twice max.

Write down exactly what drills you will do and how many reps and stick to your written plan. Concentrate on every drill run and every shot fired. For me to do this, I have to have lots of breaks and downtime at my practice.

Paul Howe said that when he got out of the army and he had to pay for his own ammo, he dry fired 5 times for every live shot. You can dry fire at the range.

The only way to save on ammo is to shoot less. Be efficient about it.

Gringop

Kyle Reese
03-31-2011, 03:09 PM
JV,
You shoot more ammo in a month than most folks do in a lifetime with a defensive handgun. :)

JV_
03-31-2011, 03:36 PM
JV,
You shoot more ammo in a month than most folks do in a lifetime with a defensive handgun. :)

Gotta keep trying for my coin ... I only need to knock off about 1s from my average clean time :rolleyes:

I was thinking about making 1 day a 9mm day and the other day the AA/.22LR day. I'm not that averse to dry fire, it's just that going to the range is my get-away, I'd like to continue going often, but making it less expensive.

JV_
03-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Anyone know the avg lifespan of the AA kits?

Chris Rhines
03-31-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm not that averse to dry fire, it's just that going to the range is my get-away, I'd like to continue going often, but making it less expensive.

I almost hate to ask, but do you reload? You can certainly save some money (at the expense of some time and hassle) by reloading your practice ammo.

-C

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

JV_
03-31-2011, 04:52 PM
I almost hate to ask, but do you reload? You can certainly save some money (at the expense of some time and hassle) by reloading your practice ammo.

I'm currently setup to reload rifle rounds, like 6XC and .308, but in a low volume setup (Rock Chucker).

I've been collecting 9mm brass for the past few months, I probably have 5K saved up.

Reloading pistol calibers is on my list of projects for the year.

JodyH
03-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Gotta keep trying for my coin ... I only need to knock off about 1s from my average clean time
Do an honest evaluation of where you're losing that time.
You may find that more range time isn't the answer.
For me it's the reload.
To get my coin I need to have sub-2sec. reloads every single time.
To get there I'm doing more dry practice and it's paying off.
The key to a sub-5 sec. FAST is to cut it up into three parts.

The first two shots need to be in the 3x5 in under 2 seconds.
You reload should be sub-2sec.
The last 3 splits should be under .75 seconds.

The biggest gains in time are made in two areas.
The draw to first shot.
The reload.
Both of those can be done dry.

I'm currently averaging 350 rounds per week and I'm making more progress than I was at 500+ rounds per week last year.

JV_
03-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Do an honest evaluation of where you're losing that time.

Yep, my reloads suck.

JodyH
03-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Probably be good for another thread but...
For dry reload practice I set my par timer to 1.70 seconds and try to get my reload done in that amount of time.
But I do NOT try to get off the "shot" in that amount of time.
I drop the empty, reload with a dummy round magazine and try to get on the front sight and close to full extension before the 1.70 par time.
The reason I don't try to get off the dry fire before the buzzer is I've found that trying to beat the par with the "click" leads to sloppy gun handling.
I'd rather beat a par time with my manipulations and save the shot for the range where I can verify accuracy.

ToddG
03-31-2011, 08:30 PM
I was thinking about making 1 day a 9mm day and the other day the AA/.22LR day.

I think you'd accomplish much more by beginning and ending both sessions with 9mm and doing your .22 work in between.

VolGrad
03-31-2011, 08:46 PM
I think you'd accomplish much more by beginning and ending both sessions with 9mm and doing your .22 work in between.
Which is the same advice I've heard/read many times over from other reputable trainers as well.

JV_
03-31-2011, 08:56 PM

First and last leave bigger impressions?

ToddG
03-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Starting with your carry gun/caliber means you can assess your "cold" potential. Ending with it means that you re-acclimate your body to full power recoil.

SLG
03-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Starting with your carry gun/caliber means you can assess your "cold" potential. Ending with it means that you re-acclimate your body to full power recoil.

I did this twice a week, every week, for three years in school. I fired almost 1000 rounds of .22 each week, and no more than 100 rounds of 9mm. I was pretty happy with the results.

The AA kit will probably last a tremendously long time, but if you have any issues with it, I would seriously look at the version made by Tac-Sol. Those guys make about the highest quality .22 aftermarket stuff that I've seen. Also, Chet Alvord, the head honcho there, is pretty serious about making his customers happy.

Kyle Reese
03-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks SLG. I'm going to have to give one a try soon.

I did this twice a week, every week, for three years in school. I fired almost 1000 rounds of .22 each week, and no more than 100 rounds of 9mm. I was pretty happy with the results.

The AA kit will probably last a tremendously long time, but if you have any issues with it, I would seriously look at the version made by Tac-Sol. Those guys make about the highest quality .22 aftermarket stuff that I've seen. Also, Chet Alvord, the head honcho there, is pretty serious about making his customers happy.

MTechnik
04-01-2011, 07:09 AM

I presume the Tac-Sol kit (meant for the G17) will work on the G19?

SLG
04-01-2011, 08:18 AM
I wouldn't assume that. If Tac-Sol isn't yet making a 19 kit, give 'em a call and ask.

VolGrad
04-01-2011, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't assume that. If Tac-Sol isn't yet making a 19 kit, give 'em a call and ask.

Agreed. I saw on their website there was a "What do we make next?" vote. G19 was an option. Not saying the G17 wouldn't work on the G19 but makes one wonder. They might just be talking about making them both so it's "real" as far as size and holster compatibility. OR they are saying it won't work. It could go either way.

fuse
04-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I did not read the thread.

I'll assume reloading has been mentioned.

If not, reload.