PDA

View Full Version : Photos Of Revolutionary War Vets On National Review Online.

ACP230
11-13-2012, 09:18 PM
National Review Online is running a slideshow with photos of the last six Revolutionary War Vets.
Taken in 1864 when the men were 100 years old, or more. One was a drummer in General Washington's Guard.
Some others were imprisoned by the Brits during the war.

I found it interesting and the timing, close to Veteran's Day and the election, is interesting too.

RoyGBiv
11-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Cool.!

Links are good...
http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/2012_summer_fall/last-men-of-revolution.html

In 1864 Rev. Elias Hillard, a Congregational Minister and erstwhile historian, embarked on a “do-or-die” mission. It was the last chance history would have to record by word or photos the last surviving soldiers of the American Revolutionary War.

Incredible though it may seem, six veterans who served in the Revolution were alive eighty-three years after British General Cornwallis surrendered to the Americans at Yorktown ending the War of Independence. Even more incredible is that, because of Rev. Hillard's efforts, photos of the six veterans are available in the historical record, the only photos of any of the War's soldiers.

WDW
11-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Now that is just plain cool right there! Too bad there wasn't any voice recording technology back then.

TGS
11-13-2012, 10:36 PM
That was really cool, thanks for posting!

Getting to see pictures of actual Continentals is just awesome. I never knew we had this connection to our Revolution.

ACP230
11-13-2012, 11:23 PM
I never noticed the link you posted. Thanks for drawing my attention to it.

LOKNLOD
11-14-2012, 08:54 AM
That was really cool, thanks for posting!

Getting to see pictures of actual Continentals is just awesome. I never knew we had this connection to our Revolution.

Agreed! It makes sense I suppose but I never thought of the idea that some from that time would have lived long enough to see the invention of photography, and then that someone had the foresight to seek them out and document them.

RoyGBiv
11-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Milliner was only 6 years old when the D-of-I was signed.
He joined and served under General Washington as a "Drummer Boy".
What a great story.

MDS
11-14-2012, 11:03 AM
great stuff guys, thanks for posting. A lot could be improved in this country if we only gave voter registration cards to people who get goosebumps reading this.

ACP230
11-15-2012, 01:44 PM
I posted about this on a couple of other boards.
And noticed some other posters, here and there, posting about it too.
Hope it keeps going.

NavyPiper77
11-15-2012, 05:20 PM
That was awesome! Quite moving reading about those who came before us in service to our country! What a treasure in our history!

Doc

Robert H. Bledsaw, LCDR FMF/SW, USN SCC
Commanding Officer
Pacific Central Region, 12.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erik
11-15-2012, 07:03 PM
I Just took the time to read the excerpts. I'm glad I did. Thanks for posting.

Clay
11-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Outstanding. Thanks for posting.

1 old 0311
11-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Good read. They always seemed bigger than life, but they were regular guys in a tough time period.