PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 vs S&W M&P

landsharkleather
11-13-2012, 06:40 PM
I am thinking of getting a poly 9mm caary gun. I have been thinking of a Glock 19. But before I buy one I wanted to get some info about the M&P model S&W.
I don't know much about the M&P but how does it compare size wise to the Glock. Specificly in the grip area. I have always found the Glock alittle fat in the grip even with the Gen 4 replaceable back strap. So how about the M&P is the grip thinner front to back and/or is it thingger side to side?

TR675
11-13-2012, 06:50 PM
It has a more ergonomic grip with swappable inserts that range from small to large. I recommend renting or borrowing a sample to shoot side by side with the G19 to see which works better for you.

Ultimately you may be comparing apples and oranges because there is no G19 sized M&P - there is the M&Pc which is a bit smaller and the standard M&P which is a bit larger, but nothing right in the G19 sweet spot.

Up1911Fan
11-13-2012, 09:25 PM
I've e-mailed S&W several time's requesting they make an M&P45c size gun in 9 and 40. That would be my perfect carry gun ( with Crimson Trace Lasergrips of course).

WDW
11-13-2012, 10:00 PM
I would shoot both S x S. A lot of times perceived ergonomics don't mean as much as we think they do.

TNWNGR
11-13-2012, 10:50 PM
I like grip angle on the M&P more than the G19's but am not all that sold on the M&P trigger. Both shoot very well and are well supported with after market accessories. If you can shoot them side by side then try to test out some other's as well. I'd intended to purchase either an M&P 9 or 4th gen G19 myself but decided to try a Ruger SR9 and purchased one a few month's back which has suprised me with it's trigger pull and out of the box reliability.

G60
11-13-2012, 11:19 PM
I can get some more exact measurements later, but I just grabbed my calipers, my M&P9 with small backstraps and my g/f's G19gen4 with no backstrap, and the Glock's grip is smaller both front to back, and side to side by a few hundredths of an inch. Trigger reach is a little longer on the Glock, I did not measure trigger reach at break.
That being said, the M&P 'feels' smaller because the shape of the grip is more rounded, while the Glock grip is more blocky. the Glock finger grooves may have something to do with that as well (I measured from the low point of a finger groove to the backstrap.)

DocGKR
11-14-2012, 01:46 AM
M&P45 mid-size next to a G19:
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7068&filename=G19_M&P45mid.jpg

Here is a G19 on top of a M&P45 mid-size:
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7069&filename=G19%20on%20M&P45mid.jpg

note that an M&P9 is a bit smaller than an M&P45 mid-size

Tamara
11-14-2012, 06:10 AM
I can get some more exact measurements later, but I just grabbed my calipers, my M&P9 with small backstraps and my g/f's G19gen4 with no backstrap, and the Glock's grip is smaller both front to back, and side to side by a few hundredths of an inch. Trigger reach is a little longer on the Glock, I did not measure trigger reach at break.
That being said, the M&P 'feels' smaller because the shape of the grip is more rounded, while the Glock grip is more blocky.

Width and depth are not as important as diameter, which the Glock has problems with due to their obstinate insistence on sticking with their original rectangular grip cross-section. It's those blocky corners on the grip that cause people to have difficulty reaching the mag release, or push shots to the left because their trigger finger contacts the frame. It can be worked around, of course, but it causes the gun to have a rather proprietary nature.

I like my 19, at least as much as it's possible to like a disposable plastic wheel chock, and keep finding excuses not to trade it in on a second Smith, but right now it's definitely just a backup for my M&P 9.

Hero
11-14-2012, 06:20 AM
I, too, would like to see a "mid-sized" M&P 9/40 released. I'm heavily invested in Glocks and that's not going to change anytime soon due to what I'm issued. However, if I had to start all over again today with no "issue gun" to consider, I'd have a hard decision between Glock and M&P. Every time I shoot an M&P I'm very impressed with them. (PPQ is interesting now, too...)

ACP230
11-14-2012, 07:40 AM
I haven't shot Glocks or M&Ps all that much. But, the M&Ps I've used feel much better in my hands than the Glocks. I've had no issues with the M&P triggers either.

The only Glock I really liked was one of the ported ones converted into a machine pistol by a licensed manufacturer I used to know. That was fun! I was able to keep four round bursts
of 9mm on a five gallon bucket at 20 yards without problems.

Tamara
11-14-2012, 07:42 AM
I, too, would like to see a "mid-sized" M&P 9/40 released.

I don't think there's enough room between the full-size and the compact to make it a viable market proposition. (Smith is probably also going to be institutionally cautious about needless SKU proliferation, since that was one of the things that nearly killed them back in the days of the 3rd Gen autos...)

Note that Smith already cleverly slid the M&Ps into the interstices in the Glock lineup, size-wise, with the full-size gun splitting the difference between the 17 and 19, and the compact in between the 19 and 26.

orionz06
11-14-2012, 07:59 AM
I agree on the sizes. The M&P seems more thought out. All of these discussions do show how much traction the G19 has though. My only beef would be that they should hand added 1/4" to get an extra rail segment and allow the use of lights that don't break. The length added would be a non issue and proportions would look more like a G19 to appease those who are stuck on that.

landsharkleather
11-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Good info. I am just going to have to shoot them both.

jdw174
11-14-2012, 09:16 AM
I just went through this same thing. The size of the G19 and grip were perfect for my hands. The S&W also felt quite good. What I didn't care for was the S&W trigger. Didn't like the way it broke or the way it felt. Had a few thousand rounds through Glocks so the choice was easy for me. Both are good products.

SecondsCount
11-14-2012, 11:41 AM
note that an M&P9 is a bit smaller than an M&P45 mid-size

I think you meant to say that the M&P9 Compact is smaller than the M&P45 mid-size.

The full size M&P9 is larger than the M&P mid-size. Smith and Wesson only makes the mid-size in 45ACP. It would be great if they decided to make it in 9mm which I assume is the caliber that landsharkleather is looking for.

Crow Hunter
11-14-2012, 11:53 AM

Definitely.

The M&P actually feels better in my hand at "first grasp". But in actually shooting, it is harder for me to hold on to. (G19 vs M&P 9c) The M&P feels like it is going to shoot up out of my grip with the small and med backstraps. With the large it is better, but I don't feel like I have as good of control of the trigger as I would like.

Of course, I have been shooting Glocks since 1998 or so, which might skew my grip a little bit.

However, unlike a lot of Glock shooters. I had no problem with the trigger. Of course, I shoot Glocks more like a revolver and let the trigger out until I can't feel it pushing back against my finger.

tbc
11-14-2012, 12:58 PM
M&P9 and Glock 19 are great firearms.

Since you're going to try them out, I would suggest the PPQ, XDM, SR9, and FNS-9 as well. especially the PPQ :)

Sent from iPhone through Tapatalk

Hero
11-14-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't think there's enough room between the full-size and the compact to make it a viable market proposition. (Smith is probably also going to be institutionally cautious about needless SKU proliferation, since that was one of the things that nearly killed them back in the days of the 3rd Gen autos...)

Note that Smith already cleverly slid the M&Ps into the interstices in the Glock lineup, size-wise, with the full-size gun splitting the difference between the 17 and 19, and the compact in between the 19 and 26.

You're right. I guess what I like about the 19/23 size Glocks, which the M&P compact doesn't offer, is a full length grip rather than having the pinky rest as the magazine baseplate. Magazine exchanges are a little different on the 26/27 Glocks and M&P compacts due to the shortened grip, for me. Can't quite jam the mags home the same way on the short grip guns.

Guinnessman
11-14-2012, 08:12 PM
You really cannot go wrong with either pistol. If I had to pick between the two the Glock 19 would win everytime (for me).

The Glock 19 is easy to conceal and with 15 rounds of 9mm, I have always felt that made the perfect carry gun. Throw in some Glock 17 mags for reloads, and you have a great carry set up.

I just purchased a M&P compact, and so far I'm digging it. The ergonomics are great, it is slighly smaller than the G19, and the Apex trigger makes a great addition to the gun. So far I only have a couple hundred rounds thru the M&P, but I am very pleased.

DocGKR
11-15-2012, 03:17 PM
SecondsCount--No, I mean exactly what I wrote; the M&P9FS is slightly smaller in grip dimensions than the M&P45 mid.

kodiakpb
11-15-2012, 06:43 PM

That's the best thing to do. Ergonomics can be a subjective thing.

Up1911Fan
11-15-2012, 09:01 PM
I like the size of the G19 best for carry. I shoot it fairly well. With that said, my EDC is an M&P9 in a JM Custom AIWB. Try both. I do carry the G19 sometimes as well. If S&W would make a G19 sized M&P and Crimson Trace made grips for it, I'd sell both and buy 3 of them.

rockymtnnut
11-28-2012, 07:03 PM
I laid a full size M&P over my HKp30 the grip was surprisingly the same, the slide was about a quarter inch longer . I was very surprised. I would recommend going over to pistol-training and read Todds history on the m& p that's the most in depth info you could ask for. Don't believe people when they tell you a Glock never malfunctions or any other pistol for that matter ,they all do... Some just way more than others.

landsharkleather
11-30-2012, 07:11 AM
I laid a full size M&P over my HKp30 the grip was surprisingly the same, the slide was about a quarter inch longer . I was very surprised. I would recommend going over to pistol-training and read Todds history on the m& p that's the most in depth info you could ask for. Don't believe people when they tell you a Glock never malfunctions or any other pistol for that matter ,they all do... Some just way more than others.

I would like to read Todd's thoughts but where is the article?

Wendell
11-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Archive for the ‘M&P Monday’ Category (http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/mp-monday)
<http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/mp-monday>

rockymtnnut
11-30-2012, 09:44 AM

it's on the right hand side of the post I think it is called m&p Tuesday it's a very long read. it's a week to week read where cod carry a pistol for well over 60,000 rounds . there probably isn't a more in depth read about the M&P out there .