PDA

View Full Version : At What Point/Round Count Should an HK45C be Detail Stripped/Cleaned?

SwampDweller
02-08-2024, 02:41 PM
I recently got an HK45C LEM V7 a few weeks ago. I have been practicing with it twice a week and have a bit over 1500 rounds through it, with field strip cleanings between range trips. My JMCK holster arrives today and I’m going to start carrying it as it has been 100% reliable and I’ve fallen in love with the LEM trigger. For a compact .45 it is impressively soft shooting.

My question is, at what point should it be detail stripped and deep cleaned? I have never detail stripped an HK and don’t really trust myself to do so, so I’d likely send it back to HK (which is I think what they say to do. Don’t they say not to detail strip it yourself?)

I want to keep shooting it to practice and because I enjoy shooting it, but at what point should I slow it down? At what point should it be detail stripped/cleaned? I’m planning to get a dedicated trainer duplicate, but it won’t be for a little bit.

GJM
02-08-2024, 02:51 PM
You probably have heard the story about federal ammunition, sending their USP full size in for maintenance to HK for the first time at 237,000 rounds without a parts breakage.

Since they are similar pistol, you could probably read TLG's endurance reports find out what broke when, but my recollection is the HK45 was extremely durable. If it was LEM, a trigger return spring at some point?

45dotACP
02-08-2024, 03:44 PM
Didn't TLG's HK45 go something like 50k with a single parts breakage?

JTQ
02-08-2024, 04:02 PM
My question is, at what point should it be detail stripped and deep cleaned?

You probably have heard the story about federal ammunition, sending their USP full size in for maintenance to HK for the first time at 237,000 rounds without a parts breakage.

Didn't TLG's HK45 go something like 50k with a single parts breakage?
I'm pretty sure in both instances, the number of detail strips was 0.

SwampDweller
02-08-2024, 04:14 PM

Since they are similar pistol, you could probably read TLG's endurance reports find out what broke when, but my recollection is the HK45 was extremely durable. If it was LEM, a trigger return spring at some point?

Yep, not really worried about breakages, more of when it should be cleaned deeper than s typical field strip cleaning.

breakingtime91
02-08-2024, 04:20 PM
Yep, not really worried about breakages, more of when it should be cleaned deeper than s typical field strip cleaning.

I wouldnt besides maybe pulling the extractor from the slide if ejection ever gets weird.

breakingtime91
02-08-2024, 04:21 PM

does the trs in a da/sa last longer?

SwampDweller
02-08-2024, 05:21 PM
I wouldnt besides maybe pulling the extractor from the slide if ejection ever gets weird.

You have to knock out that rollpin above the extractor, right? Are the rollpins supposed to be replaced after being removed, or does HK say you can use the same ones?

breakingtime91
02-08-2024, 05:26 PM
You have to knock out that rollpin above the extractor, right? Are the rollpins supposed to be replaced after being removed, or does HK say you can use the same ones?

replace, they are about two dollars a piece. I ordered 20 and I have used one because I put a gray guns short reset trigger in one of my p2000s. many people go from bottom of the slide and push the pin out the top. back in through the bottom.

TGS
02-08-2024, 05:48 PM
I recently got an HK45C LEM V7 a few weeks ago. I have been practicing with it twice a week and have a bit over 1500 rounds through it, with field strip cleanings between range trips. My JMCK holster arrives today and I’m going to start carrying it as it has been 100% reliable and I’ve fallen in love with the LEM trigger. For a compact .45 it is impressively soft shooting.

My question is, at what point should it be detail stripped and deep cleaned? I have never detail stripped an HK and don’t really trust myself to do so, so I’d likely send it back to HK (which is I think what they say to do. Don’t they say not to detail strip it yourself?)

I want to keep shooting it to practice and because I enjoy shooting it, but at what point should I slow it down? At what point should it be detail stripped/cleaned? I’m planning to get a dedicated trainer duplicate, but it won’t be for a little bit.

Short of dropping the entire pistol in a vat of mud or concrete, there is zero need to detail strip a modern service pistol for cleaning.

Ever.

Exiledviking
02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
does the trs in a da/sa last longer?

Yes, the regular strength LEM TRS is known to wear out sooner than the DA/SA TRS.

P30
02-08-2024, 07:14 PM
Maintenance-relevant data from Todd Green's P30 test (https://www.hkpro.com/threads/recommended-spare-parts-usp-expert.150475/#post-1122843)

KevH
02-08-2024, 07:15 PM

It's been awhile, but I believe 25,000 rounds is the service interval for those. You have a loooong way to go. When it's time just call H&K and ship it back to them.

SwampDweller
02-08-2024, 08:08 PM
It's been awhile, but I believe 25,000 rounds is the service interval for those. You have a loooong way to go. When it's time just call H&K and ship it back to them.

Oh hell yeah. So I can keep shooting it for a while and still carry it without worrying about it needing a detail cleaning? Nice.

I carried an HK45C V1 for several years but didn't shoot it that often, the safety made it uncomfortable to shoot for more than a couple hundred rounds. This V7 is an absolute joy to shoot. Sounds like it doesn't need a detail strip as often as a Glock, or parts replacement.

JTQ
02-09-2024, 12:46 PM
Sounds like it doesn't need a detail strip as often as a Glock, or parts replacement.
About 15 years ago when I first got on gun forums, a 1911 forum specifically, one of the more experienced guys asked the rhetorical question , "do we detail strip our 1911's (or insert any other easy to detail strip gun like a Glock) because we need to, or because we can?"

TCinVA
02-09-2024, 12:58 PM
My question is, at what point should it be detail stripped and deep cleaned?

It shouldn't.

https://pistol-training.com/hk45-endurance-test-week-thirty-seven-2/

Read that. I shot the test gun during some of that testing. Todd hated cleaning guns and would only do it under protest, generally when the thing was sufficiently dirty that merely handling it left your hands black. The HK did fine.

You only need to bother with detail stripping if something goes wrong with the fire control system just to the accumulation of crud. Of course, that is unlikely to happen if you just clean it at sensible intervals and don't deliberately abuse the gun the way Todd did by cleaning it every tenth case of ammo he fired through it.

If you clean it every half a case or case of ammo, you'll be fine. Lubricate as needed and if you're going to shoot a lot lubricate generously as proper oil will grab the crud that can impact function and flow it away from the areas where it can impact function.

Even on the P30 test...which was more abusive than the HK45 test, Todd didn't break the gun down for detail cleaning until beyond 50,000 rounds, IIRC. So until you've shot about $10,000.00 worth of ammo through the gun at a hideously abusive pace of 500 rounds per range session while only cleaning it every 10,000 rounds...you aren't likely to have a problem.

GJM
02-09-2024, 01:35 PM
Refresh my recollection -- how often did trigger return springs break, and was that more the P30 than HK45?

GJM
02-09-2024, 01:40 PM
Refresh my recollection -- how often did trigger return springs break, and was that more the P30 than HK45?

I found this:

Trigger return spring broke between 15935 und 19445

I assume this means that each TRS broke.

TCinVA
02-09-2024, 02:18 PM
Best of my recollection he definitely went through multiple TRS. If you do a lot of dryfire, those are reps on the TRS as well. 10,000 rounds or so is probably a good figure for that with dryfire included if you're looking for a preventative maintenance schedule.

P30
02-09-2024, 03:13 PM
Based on fairly significant personal experience as well as what I've observed in others' pistols, my recommendation would be to change the trigger return spring twice as often as recommended by HK (every 12.5k instead of every 25k).

EVP
02-09-2024, 03:46 PM
Was it the heavy TRS that was the culprit(squared profile one)?

I don’t recall hearing any longevity issues with the light TRS.

What great guns, makes me want to get a HK….again. Haha

GJM
02-09-2024, 04:17 PM
When I saw Todd's numbers, I assumed he had a significant amount of dry fires presses that weren't in his live fire numbers.

I haven't broken a TRS on a DA/SA HK pistol -- can someone explain why the LEM seems to go through them faster?

EVP
02-09-2024, 07:19 PM
I haven't broken a TRS on a DA/SA HK pistol -- can someone explain why the LEM seems to go through them faster?

Do you know what weight TRS they have?

As I mentioned above I have not experienced or ever heard any early breakages with light TRS.

It always seems to be the heavy square wired TRS that break early.

MGW
02-10-2024, 08:43 AM
When I saw Todd's numbers, I assumed he had a significant amount of dry fires presses that weren't in his live fire numbers.

I might be remembering this incorrectly, but didn’t HK make a change to their trigger return springs because they were breaking? I thought I remembered reading some where that they change the spring material.

HCM
02-10-2024, 09:00 AM
Short of dropping the entire pistol in a vat of mud or concrete, there is zero need to detail strip a modern service pistol for cleaning.

Ever.

This ^^^.

Normal cleaning, stay on top of replacing the TRS if you dry fire (which you should be doing) since replacement schedule is based on the number of trigger pulls not the number of live rounds fired.

Regarding roll pins- replacing roll pins instead of reusing them as always “the best answer.”

SwampDweller
02-10-2024, 10:00 AM
Yesterday I had emailed James at Teufelshund Tactical about having my USP 45's converted to Hybrid Match LEM. While I was at it, I tacked on the same question about full disassembly and cleaning regarding the HK45C. Here was his response:

"I would recommend every 5000 rounds to fully disassemble, clean, inspect and reassembly a firearm."

I'm not yet sure if I'm going to send my USP's to him or back to HK. It sounds like he may be a little less expensive, but I'm not sure. Part of me wants to deal with him just because I've watched his stuff for years.

HeavyDuty
02-10-2024, 10:50 AM
LEM conversion really isn’t difficult. Get yourself the cheap TRS pliers and drive on.

I converted my P30LS to LEM, and will likely convert it back to TDA now that I have a factory LEM version.

I converted all my LEM P30s to GG short reset and flat triggers and the HK45C to short reset (no flat trigger available yet) plus a heavy TRS in all, it’s not hard to do.

J0hnny
02-10-2024, 11:02 AM
The TRS on my P2Ksk started to corrode from sweating on it at the gym so I now put a small drop of oil / CLP on the TRS on all my HKs every so often

TGS
02-10-2024, 11:06 AM
Yesterday I had emailed James at Teufelshund Tactical about having my USP 45's converted to Hybrid Match LEM. While I was at it, I tacked on the same question about full disassembly and cleaning regarding the HK45C. Here was his response:

"I would recommend every 5000 rounds to fully disassemble, clean, inspect and reassembly a firearm."

I'm not yet sure if I'm going to send my USP's to him or back to HK. It sounds like he may be a little less expensive, but I'm not sure. Part of me wants to deal with him just because I've watched his stuff for years.

I recommend every 1,000 rounds. You can send the pistol to me for a nominal fee.

I also recommend you replacing the entire pistol every 2,701 rounds. You can purchase the replacement from me, too.

[End sarcasm]

Dude.

Just shoot the gun and clean it via field stripping. It will be fine. There is absolutely no reason, whatsofuckingever, to detail clean the gun every 5,000 rounds. This is patently ridiculous and a complete waste of money. Some guns do require frequent detail cleaning to remain reliable, such as an HK MP7 or SIG MPX (both needing cleaning of their gas system) A modern polymer framed modified-Browning tilt-lock pistol of any kind does not.

breakingtime91
02-10-2024, 11:17 AM

I like the guy but he makes money detail stripping hks or putting them back together for people who can't figure it out.. Don't do it. It is an HK pistol, it is designed to out last grunts using it in the field and abusing it (I say that lovingly as I was, in my youth, a Marine grunt.) You are not going to have to break that gun down unless you break something in it. Stop worrying about it, and if you do want to worry about it buy these spare parts:

from MGW or Hkparts:
TRS (flavor you want)
Pliers for TRS
Roll pins universal for hk pistols

Really, anything else that would break you can just order all the replacement springs around the 20k mark, change them or have hk do it for a small fee and go back to shooting for another 20k. You do not have to worry about this stuff with modern service pistols, espeically an HK. The triggers may not be great, the support may not always be the best, but those pistols fucking run.

Nick B
02-10-2024, 04:24 PM
Use an air compressor and blow it out if you drop it into a sand pit . If it gets gunked up with powder fouling get some polymer safe spray cleaner and flush it out .

kwb377
02-11-2024, 04:04 PM

If it makes you sleep better at night, go ahead and toss the money away. He recommends servicing at that interval because it's overly-cautious ("better safe than sorry") and he makes money doing it.

Also...don't fall for the 3,000 mile oil change interval that the oil change shops recommend.

You asked what everyone recommended, ignored the overwhelming "shoot it, and maybe field-strip clean it every now and then" responses, then went searching until you finally found an answer you liked better (and costs more money).

JohnO
02-11-2024, 05:28 PM
https://youtu.be/voP8nk8JEmA?si=prERJTH7QiUHJiGn

SwampDweller
02-11-2024, 05:46 PM
If it makes you sleep better at night, go ahead and toss the money away. He recommends servicing at that interval because it's overly-cautious ("better safe than sorry") and he makes money doing it.

Also...don't fall for the 3,000 mile oil change interval that the oil change shops recommend.

You asked what everyone recommended, ignored the overwhelming "shoot it, and maybe field-strip clean it every now and then" responses, then went searching until you finally found an answer you liked better (and costs more money).

I just tossed in the question to him because I was already needing to ask about the conversion of my USPs. I'm going with the answer you all gave here. I certainly don't want to spend money when I don't have to.

JonInWA
02-11-2024, 06:10 PM
That eminently makes sense to me-as mentioned, be sure you include dryfire triggerpulls as counting towards the total (Todd G's and P30's recommendation for replacing the TRS at 12.5K repetitions).

Best, Jon

SwampDweller
02-11-2024, 10:49 PM
That eminently makes sense to me-as mentioned, be sure you include dryfire triggerpulls as counting towards the total (Todd G's and P30's recommendation for replacing the TRS at 12.5K repetitions).

Best, Jon

I haven't been recording dry fire pulls at this point, but I am going to start. I'm also going to get at least one more 45C as a trainer. Ideally I'd like three, one for carry/defense, one for training/practice, and one that is vetted and kept in the safe as a backup.

I wish there was some kind of dummy gun that had an LEM trigger to do dry practice with.

Sig_Fiend
02-11-2024, 11:25 PM
To put things in perspective, I would look at modern HK hammer guns (e.g. USP and newer) as a "lifetime gun" for mere mortals. Some here might wear them out. Most will probably never come close.

Best thing you can do is shoot it like you're trying to shoot the barrel out. 50K, 100K, now you're cooking. Prepare yourself, however, for the spares required to support it! A handful of $1-3 springs and roll pins over the gun's lifetime.

We're talking less than ~$100 (hell, maybe less than $50) in spares to support a pistol for 50K+ rounds, which is pretty amazing if you think about it. Beyond the TRS every ~12K pulls as others said, maintenance is the last thing you need to think about with these guns, which is one of the reasons I love them.

Also, the fire control group components never really break on these guns. A number of the components are even produced with MIM, which many look down on (thanks SIG!), but are an example of what's possible with MIM done right. In a perfect world, SIG would source their MIM parts from HK and make their guns great again. ;) (shots fired!)
I've never actually seen any of the FCG parts (sear, hammer, LEM cocking piece, catch, latch, disconnector, etc) break on any HK hammer gun. I've seen well-worn sears and hammers maybe lead to a less than smooth pull, but that's about it. This makes sense considering the simple design of these components; they either move vertically in a linear fashion or rotate just a few degrees around two pins. Not much to go wrong.

breakingtime91
02-11-2024, 11:25 PM
I haven't been recording dry fire pulls at this point, but I am going to start. I'm also going to get at least one more 45C as a trainer. Ideally I'd like three, one for carry/defense, one for training/practice, and one that is vetted and kept in the safe as a backup.

I wish there was some kind of dummy gun that had an LEM trigger to do dry practice with.

Thats the dream. I grabbed a used p2000 off gun broker for cheap and that's my trainer. I plan on grabbing a third, oiling it, and putting it in a cushioned pistol case in the safe.

JonInWA
02-12-2024, 05:26 PM

SD, how much a month do you: dryfire (triggerpull count)
train (round count)
practice (round count)
compete (round count)

These counts should be actual or reasonably projectible.

Best, Jon

Chewbacca10
02-12-2024, 09:46 PM
Best of my recollection he definitely went through multiple TRS. If you do a lot of dryfire, those are reps on the TRS as well. 10,000 rounds or so is probably a good figure for that with dryfire included if you're looking for a preventative maintenance schedule.

Good to know. I am getting close to that with dry fire.

Anyone have a part number for the roll pin for the trigger? Or is it the same as the roll pin for the backstrap?

entropy
02-12-2024, 10:27 PM
Late to the party, but I’ll toss my two cents in along with what already has been said. The HK USP and direct offspring are (IMHO) perhaps THE most robust pistols ever made. I was issued 2 over the course of nearly 20 years. Ran the absolute snot out of both. The first (before the firing pin was redesigned around 2006) had an HONEST 50K thru it. The second (newer model circa 2012) likely an honest half of that. I had 2 firing pins fracture on the first prior to the redesigned radius cut for the firing pin safety. After the new pin was installed (and subsequently the second pistol for its entire life) never had another breakage. The Flat Spring broke once in the first gun, rendering the LEM inoperative, although the long-stroke full DA pull was still available. Never had a SINGLE ISSUE with the second gun. From what I’m told, most of the time the Armorer’s sloshed the frames around in cleaner and blew them dry. The design using the friction plates ( for lack of a better term) is absolutely genius. I have a personally purchased USPc and USP 45FS that will never get sold off and will always be counted on to go bang. I would think that complete disassembly would cause more risks than it’s worth.

Edit to add: I think the first was simply replaced do to age/round count although it was working fine. Went thru training once. They asked me how many rounds I had thru it. (Probably looked at serial number and issue date.) They simply said “OK, we’ll get you a new one.” Signed out the old one, signed in the new one...done. 🤷*♂️

SwampDweller
02-13-2024, 12:20 AM
SD, how much a month do you: dryfire (triggerpull count)
train (round count)
practice (round count)
compete (round count)

These counts should be actual or reasonably projectible.

Best, Jon

Honestly, I haven't kept track enough to be able to answer that accurately. I think a reasonable projection might be for 10 minutes a day, and considering the hammer has to be reset each trigger press, maybe like 200 a day?

What would be a good count to maintain proficiency?

P30
02-13-2024, 08:24 AM
Anyone have a part number for the roll pin for the trigger?

Don't know what you mean by "roll pin for the trigger"? The trigger axle? You can look up the part numbers there:

hk-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/HK45-HK45Compact-Operators-Manual-05252012.pdf (https://hk-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/HK45-HK45Compact-Operators-Manual-05252012.pdf)

PS:
Operator's manual from HK Germany:
heckler-koch.com/Downloads/Bedienungsanleitungen Jagd und Sport/Pistolen/DE/HK45_HK45 Compact OM (DE-EN) 968047 001.0320.pdf (https://www.heckler-koch.com/Downloads/Bedienungsanleitungen%20Jagd%20und%20Sport/Pistolen/DE/HK45_HK45%20Compact%20%20OM%20(DE-EN)%20968047%20001.0320.pdf)

Sig_Fiend
02-13-2024, 12:45 PM
Good to know. I am getting close to that with dry fire.

Anyone have a part number for the roll pin for the trigger? Or is it the same as the roll pin for the backstrap?

For the HK45C, #214154 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Trigger-Axle-P30-HK45-USP-P2000/p/50214154) also listed as 50214154, which is the same thing. It's the same exact trigger axle used across all the USP and newer hammer guns.

Most of the springs for the HK45C and a few miscellaneous parts:

215822: Firing pin spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Slide-Parts/Firing-pin-spring-for-USPC-P2000-P30-HK45C/p/50215822)
209296: Firing pin block spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Slide-Parts/Firing-pin-block-spring-USP-HK45-/p/50209296)
218315: Extractor spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Slide-Parts/Extractor-Spring-for-multiple-models/p/50218315)
234250: Recoil spring (https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/234250) (Doesn't show on HK site, but might be able to call in and order direct)
214164: Trigger return spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Trigger-Return-Spring-USP-HK45/p/50214164)
214166: Trigger bar spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Trigger-Bar-Spring-HK45-USP-USPC/p/50214166)
215691: Sear spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Nickel-Flat-Spring/p/215691) (aka flat spring)
234479: Hammer spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Hammer-Spring-HK45-Compact/p/50234479)
219444: Cocking piece spring (https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1503110). For the LEM hammer. It's not listed on HK's site or most other places. Same part for all USP and HK45 variants.
214212: 8rd magazine spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Magazines/Magazine-Spring-USP9-USP40-15-13rd-%26-HK45C-USP45C-8rd-/p/214212)
215938: Magazine follower (https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/215938)
215929: Magazine release spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Magazine-release-spring-VP-P30-HK45-USPC-P2000/p/50215929)
988891: Slide roll pins (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Clamping-sleeve-VP-P30-HK45/p/50988891) (x2)

Of those parts, the only ones I'd honestly bother with having a few spares for are what Todd found in his P30 test (I simplified the numbers):

Trigger return spring: 12K
Magazine spring and follower: 24K
Sear spring: 35K
Firing pin spring: 50K

For the number of those spares from Todd's list, for the "life" of say a theoretical 100K round gun, that would equate to about $99 in spares, so less than $1 per case of ammo to maintain. Pretty impressive considering even a Glock 17 would need about 20x RSA replacements (~$160) by 100K rounds if sticking to the proper 5K interval, not to mention anything else needing replacement. ;)

SwampDweller
02-13-2024, 01:39 PM
For the HK45C, #214154 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Trigger-Axle-P30-HK45-USP-P2000/p/50214154) also listed as 50214154, which is the same thing. It's the same exact trigger axle used across all the USP and newer hammer guns.

215822: Firing pin spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Slide-Parts/Firing-pin-spring-for-USPC-P2000-P30-HK45C/p/50215822)
209296: Firing pin block spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Slide-Parts/Firing-pin-block-spring-USP-HK45-/p/50209296)
218315: Extractor spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Slide-Parts/Extractor-Spring-for-multiple-models/p/50218315)
234250: Recoil spring (https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/234250) (Doesn't show on HK site, but might be able to call in and order direct)
214164: Trigger return spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Trigger-Return-Spring-USP-HK45/p/50214164)
214166: Trigger bar spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Trigger-Bar-Spring-HK45-USP-USPC/p/50214166)
215691: Sear spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Nickel-Flat-Spring/p/215691) (aka flat spring)
234479: Hammer spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Hammer-Spring-HK45-Compact/p/50234479)
219444: Cocking piece spring (https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1503110). For the LEM hammer. It's not listed on HK's site or most other places. Same part for all USP and HK45 variants.
214212: 8rd magazine spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Magazines/Magazine-Spring-USP9-USP40-15-13rd-%26-HK45C-USP45C-8rd-/p/214212)
215938: Magazine follower (https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/215938)
215929: Magazine release spring (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Magazine-release-spring-VP-P30-HK45-USPC-P2000/p/50215929)
988891: Slide roll pins (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Clamping-sleeve-VP-P30-HK45/p/50988891) (x2)

Of those parts, the only ones I'd honestly bother with having a few spares for are what Todd found in his P30 test (I simplified the numbers):

For the number of those spares from Todd's list, for the "life" of say a theoretical 100K round gun, that would equate to about $99 in spares, so less than $1 per case of ammo to maintain. Pretty impressive considering even a Glock 17 would need about 20x RSA replacements (~$160) by 100K rounds if sticking to the proper 5K interval, not to mention anything else needing replacement. ;)

Thanks for this, that's a big help. In addition to getting at least 1 more HK45C, I do want to get at least a few each of those parts.

breakingtime91
02-13-2024, 04:25 PM

Do a p2000 next :)

P30
02-13-2024, 04:31 PM

Todd wrote in the PT article about the 25k maintenance (https://pistol-training.com/p30-thursday-week-fourteen/) of his P30:

The day before that photo was taken, the P30 got its 25k maintenance performed. Parts replaced were:

trigger return spring
hammer spring
hammer strut
firing pin spring
recoil spring & guide rod assembly

That’s it. With that, HK expects the gun to make it to 50,000 rounds. I’ve never owned a pistol that required so little in the way of upkeep. Changing the recoil spring just once every 25k … that’s unbelievable.

So in order to preserve the frame, I would replace the recoil spring assembly not later than @ 25k. Also the firing pin spring.

JonInWA
02-13-2024, 05:16 PM
Honestly, I haven't kept track enough to be able to answer that accurately. I think a reasonable projection might be for 10 minutes a day, and considering the hammer has to be reset each trigger press, maybe like 200 a day?

What would be a good count to maintain proficiency?

My advice is to stop obsessing over "what might happen" in terms of spare parts and multiples of the same gun. Start with 1 gun, empirically determine what backstrap/side panel set-up works best for you, and practice (dry- and live-fire), train, compete and carry with it.

You can go overboard thinking over "worst case" situations into analysis paralysis. Just choose a gun, spend at least 6 months on it, and then get back to us if necessary.

HK's are incredibly well built and reliable, and HK Tech Support is very responsive should you need any support (and you probably won't).

There are some good dryfire program books, and probably resources here and on pistol-training.com.

Shooting in training and IDPA are good things to do.

Best, Jon

Sig_Fiend
02-13-2024, 09:47 PM
Do a p2000 next :)

Sure ;):

215822 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Slide-Parts/Firing-pin-spring-for-USPC-P2000-P30-HK45C/p/50215822): Firing pin spring
209296 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Slide-Parts/Firing-pin-block-spring-USP-HK45-/p/50209296): V1/V3 standard firing pin block spring
209962 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Slide-Parts/Drop-Safety-Spring-for-P30-P2000-models/p/209962): V2 heavy firing pin block spring
218315 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Slide-Parts/Extractor-Spring-for-multiple-models/p/50218315): Extractor spring
215852 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Slide-Parts/Recoil-Spring-P30-P2000-USPC/p/215852): Recoil spring
209266 (https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/209266): V1/V3 light LEM trigger return spring
219441 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Trigger-Rebound-Spring-P2000-P2000sk/p/50219441): V2 heavy LEM trigger return spring
209270 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Trigger-Bar-Detent-Spring-P30-P30sk-P2000-P2000sk/p/209270): Trigger bar spring
214167 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/-Flat-Spring-P30-USP-P2000/p/50214167): Stock sear spring
215691 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Nickel-Flat-Spring/p/215691): Nickel sear spring
214300 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Hammer-Spring-P30-USP/p/50214300): V1/V3 standard hammer spring
214695 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Hammer-Spring-P30-P2000-/p/50214695): V2 Heavy hammer spring
209275 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Elbow-Spring%2C-Hammer-P30-P30sk-P2000sk/p/209275): Cocking piece spring
214212 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Magazines/Magazine-Spring-USP9-USP40-15-13rd-%26-HK45C-USP45C-8rd-/p/214212): 13rd magazine spring
215836 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Magazines/Magazine-Follower-VP-P30-USPC-P2000/p/215836): Magazine follower
215929 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Frame-Parts/Magazine-release-spring-VP-P30-HK45-USPC-P2000/p/50215929): Magazine release spring
980838 (https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Slide-Parts/Roll-Pin-for-USP-USPC-P2000-P2000sk/p/980838): Slide roll pins (x2)

In terms of weights for the various P2K configs, here's the ones most care about (in order, Hammer Spring, TRS, Firing Pin Block Spring):
V1 = 214300, 209266, 209296
V3 = 214300, 209266, 209296
TLG = 214300, 219441, 209296

SwampDweller
02-14-2024, 08:31 AM
My advice is to stop obsessing over "what might happen" in terms of spare parts and multiples of the same gun. Start with 1 gun, empirically determine what backstrap/side panel set-up works best for you, and practice (dry- and live-fire), train, compete and carry with it.

You can go overboard thinking over "worst case" situations into analysis paralysis. Just choose a gun, spend at least 6 months on it, and then get back to us if necessary.

HK's are incredibly well built and reliable, and HK Tech Support is very responsive should you need any support (and you probably won't).

There are some good dryfire program books, and probably resources here and on pistol-training.com.

Shooting in training and IDPA are good things to do.

Best, Jon
I do believe you are correct, though I'm not worried about parts breakage, I just like having spare parts on hand for any gun I like to carry/keep for defensive use, especially if I like to shoot it a lot. I (hopefully) have a long life ahead of me and simply like the peace of mind rather than a fear that something is actually going to break sometime in the foreseeable future.

As far as owning multiples, I've always subscribed to the "one is none, two is one, three is two," etc. The whole "one for carry, one for training, one in the safe as backup" is something I first read DocGKR post as advice years ago, and I thought it was a smart idea. At the very least, if I ever did have to actually use an HK45C in a defensive shooting and it was subsequently taken as evidence, in such a tumultuous time I'd like to have an exact duplicate to replace it for familiarity.

Are there any of those dryfire program books in particular you would recommend?
I do want to get into IDPA and I've started talking to someone local to me who competes in them. I have no expectation of actually winning or being high up on the list, but competing against myself would be beneficial I think. So far the only competition I do with pistols is GSSF, which is great, but I want to expand.

Sig_Fiend
02-14-2024, 12:35 PM
Are there any of those dryfire program books in particular you would recommend?
I do want to get into IDPA and I've started talking to someone local to me who competes in them. I have no expectation of actually winning or being high up on the list, but competing against myself would be beneficial I think. So far the only competition I do with pistols is GSSF, which is great, but I want to expand.

These two are good:

Refinement and Repetition: Dry-fire Drills for Dramatic Improvement (https://www.amazon.com/Refinement-Repetition-Dry-fire-Dramatic-Improvement/dp/1930847769/) - by Steve Anderson
DryFire Reloaded (https://www.amazon.com/DryFire-Reloaded-Ben-Stoeger/dp/1542880246/) - by Ben Stoeger

SwampDweller
02-15-2024, 09:43 PM
These two are good:

Refinement and Repetition: Dry-fire Drills for Dramatic Improvement (https://www.amazon.com/Refinement-Repetition-Dry-fire-Dramatic-Improvement/dp/1930847769/) - by Steve Anderson
DryFire Reloaded (https://www.amazon.com/DryFire-Reloaded-Ben-Stoeger/dp/1542880246/) - by Ben Stoeger

Ordered, they are on the way. Thanks