PDA

View Full Version : Limited Capacity Glock Magazines

Cookie Monster
02-03-2024, 03:56 PM
Limited Capacity Glock Magazines.

Living in California and my carry is either Glock 42 or 48. But it would be nice to have some magazines for my 17 and 19.

Should I use OEM or will Magpul suffice?

vandal
02-03-2024, 04:09 PM
Gen 5 OEM 10 rounders with the orange follower

CZ Man
02-03-2024, 04:13 PM
I always stick with OEM for carry mags.

I have about half a dozen 10 round OEM G19 mags that I use regularly at the range for practice. I've been using them for 14 years to see how long they last. They get dropped on the range all the time, are all dinged/scratched up, and have NEVER been taken apart for cleaning/maintenance etc. They are still going strong after cases and cases of ammo through them over the years.

I have and use PMags too since they came out, and only one of them have worn out.

Still, for CCW I recommend OEM mags.

SwampDweller
02-03-2024, 04:45 PM
I thought the OEM 10rd limited capacity mags were not considered reliable enough for defense/duty use? I know I've seen multiple people here say that at Glock Armorers courses they are told that the limited capacity 10rd mags are not fit for duty use.

steve
02-03-2024, 04:46 PM
OEM, there is a GSSF match in Reno on May 4,5. Sometimes they sell mags for $10 a piece and sometimes have 10 round mags. The armorer can update your Glocks for free.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-03-2024, 04:46 PM
I've used 10 round Glock OEMs for 19s and 17s for many years. After the AWB was lifted, 10 rounders were dumped very cheaply and I bought quite a bit for IDPA matches. Never had a problem with them, except for one G19 mag. Have some Magpul 17s for matches and no trouble with them.

Since I carry a 26 with OEMs for EDC, no problem there.

PNWTO
02-03-2024, 04:47 PM
I thought the OEM 10rd limited capacity mags were not considered reliable enough for defense/duty use? I know I've seen multiple people here say that at Glock Armorers courses they are told that the limited capacity 10rd mags are not fit for duty use.

I think that consensus was pre-G5 mags.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-03-2024, 04:59 PM
I vaguely remember that the warning was about HPs in the 10 rounds but FMJ ran. Since I don't shoot HP at matches, never tested that out.

fatdog
02-03-2024, 06:22 PM
I tagged this old thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?44318-Glock-10-round-mags-not-as-reliable-WTF)from a few years ago that discussed this and one member offered a solution for sanding them to make them more JHP reliable. There was another more recent thread I don't have tagged about newer followers being the possible remediation step.

Cookie Monster
02-05-2024, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Trying to be cheap and probably not the place to do it.

L-2
02-05-2024, 12:54 PM
My experience with 10-round Glock OEM G19 mags is not 100%; and no experience with Magpul G17 10-rounders and OEM G17 10-rounders.

My G26 OEM mags are 100% and also the Magpul 12-rounders.
While I own one or two G17 10-rounders, I cannot remember ever trying/using them.

With the G19 OEM 10-rounders generally I cannot get the 1st round (when loaded with all 10) to load a JHP round from slide-lock. It'll load an FMJ round from slide-lock. I've heard some folks will load nine JHP rounds with the 10th (top round) being a FMJ round. I have no problem carrying 15 rounders in California, but I've been exempt for the most part being a Calif-retired LEO.

Here's the latest GlockTalk thread on someone who wanted to try, yet again, modding Glock OEM followers and/or mags to get more reliable 10-round mag feeding. I've personally never tried filing/grinding on my followers or mag bodies but here's the thread where the OP has done so.
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/10-round-g19-mag-followers.1996007/#post-32479609

Folks in 10-round states will need to do some soul-searching and risk-taking as to whether to carry 15/17 round mags vs. validating the use of 10-round mags in whichever brand & model of handgun to carry or possess, whether in California or other states. Not to get into legalities, but the risk of getting stopped and searched or getting into a self-defense shootout situation might be considered low.

A good alternate and completely in accordance with state law would be (as I recall some old DocGKR advice) is to just get a G26 (any gen but Gen3 is CA Roster OK'd) which, for me, seems 100% reliable with its 10-round mags. I know, it'd would have a shorter grip and no light rail, but concealed carry always seems to have compromises, and yes, more money for a gun, holster, qualification, and test firing. The G26 is still one of my favorites even though I have G19gen5, G17gen5, and even a G34gen4 guns which I'll instead often carry.

It is disappointing Glock hasn't been able to market reliable 10-round G17 or G19 mags after ~35-40 years.:(

Caballoflaco
02-05-2024, 12:58 PM
A G19 cut to 26 length grip would get a light rail for those who want that.

JonInWA
02-05-2024, 01:31 PM
We've had some recent discussion on this. In my testing, with a Gen 3 G17, Gen 3 G19, Gen4 G22 and Gen5 G23, I've found that Gen5 orange followered magazines are the way to go with 10 round magazines regarding Glock magazines.

Magpul 10 round magazines for the G17 and G19 have also performed excellently.

Earlier (or concurrently produced) non-Gen5 black-followered 10 round magazines are good as range magazine only with ball ammunition.

The most difficult 9mm testing cartridges are 147 gr JHP; if they'll perform with that, in my experience you'll have no issues with 115 and 124 gr JHPs. My Gen5 orange followered 10 rounders worked flawlessly with it, specifically Federal HST law enforcement contract cartridges.

Best, Jon

Navin Johnson
02-05-2024, 01:52 PM
My experience with 10-round Glock OEM G19 mags is not 100%; and no experience with Magpul G17 10-rounders and OEM G17 10-rounders.

While I own one or two G17 10-rounders, I cannot remember ever trying/using them.

With the G19 OEM 10-rounders generally I cannot get the 1st round (when loaded with all 10) to load a JHP round from slide-lock. It'll load an FMJ round from slide-lock. I've heard some folks will load nine JHP rounds with the 10th (top round) being a FMJ round. I have no problem carrying 15 rounders in California, but I've been exempt for the most part being a Calif-retired LEO.

Here's the latest GlockTalk thread on someone who wanted to try, yet again, modding Glock OEM followers and/or mags to get more reliable 10-round mag feeding. I've personally never tried filing/grinding on my followers or mag bodies but here's the thread where the OP has done so.
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/10-round-g19-mag-followers.1996007/#post-32479609

Folks in 10-round states will need to do some soul-searching and risk-taking as to whether to carry 15/17 round mags vs. validating the use of 10-round mags in whichever brand & model of handgun to carry or possess, whether in California or other states. Not to get into legalities, but the risk of getting stopped and searched or getting into a self-defense shootout situation might be considered low.

A good alternate and completely in accordance with state law would be (as I recall some old DocGKR advice) is to just get a G26 (any gen but Gen3 is CA Roster OK'd) which, for me, seems 100% reliable with its 10-round mags. I know, it'd would have a shorter grip and no light rail, but concealed carry always seems to have compromises, and yes, more money for a gun, holster, qualification, and test firing. The G26 is still one of my favorites even though I have G19gen5, G17gen5, and even a G34gen4 guns which I'll instead often carry.

It is disappointing Glock hasn't been able to market reliable 10-round G17 or G19 mags after ~35-40 years.:(

Sorry if I missed it is this with gen 5 orange follower Factory magazines?

L-2
02-05-2024, 02:41 PM
Perhaps I'm not quite understanding the question, but I'll try to answer things.

Glock currently has two orange-colored followers for standard 9mm double-stack mags.

To me, the color, whether black or orange is irrelevant, as my mags are generally kept loaded all the time and I'm unable to see the follower color when mags are fully loaded.

An orange-colored 10-round Glock follower is part number 1265 (2183 in black) and is molded with a number "2" on the follower.
An orange-colored regular capacity follower (and used in a standard 10-round G26 mag) is part number 5233 (1812 in black) and is molded with a number "7" into it.

If there were older orange-colored 9mm follower versions, I don't know or remember and most or all companies online I've seen don't appear to stock or advertise the older followers once Glock comes out with a newer version.

Edited for info I just remembered.
I recall installing an orange #7 follower into one of my G19 mags (15-rounder) and got some failures to lock back once mag was empty. I merely put back in a black-colored #6 follower and all was good again. I didn't bother debugging why that newer #7 follower didn't work 100%. I suspect there was a plastic burr somewhere on the follower or mag body but I wasn't about to work disassemble one magazine and hand-file the follower or mag while at the shooting range that day when returning to the older #6 follower cured that issue.

SwampDweller
02-05-2024, 02:49 PM
I would skip the anxiety over whether a life saving tool’s ban compliant mags are reliable or not by simply going to a G26 with standard 10rd mags, or chopping a 19/17 grip to take G26 mags.

If I lived in a ban state I’d rather carry a gun using a magazine that was designed from the start to have 10 (or less) rounds. Or a revolver.

JonInWA
02-05-2024, 08:09 PM
I live in a ban state (Washington), and while I have grandfathered high capacity magazines for all except my Gen5 G23, I'm losing no sleep over using 10 round magazines that are properly vetted with a given platform. Platform ergonomics are the crucial decider for me-far secondary is magazine capacity.

I much prefer a G17, a G19, an G21 or a G23 with 10 rounders than a G26 or G27, or G48 or G43X. With .45 ACP, I'll admit to being tempted by the new Gen5 G30, but it's hardly a "need."

I don't feel under armed or inadequate with a 7/8 round 1911, or a 10 round .40 High Power. Frankly, I significantly doubt that outside of organizational use (and probably rarely there) that there's much of a need to go to a reload in a defensive situation, other than to have a full magazine in the gun after an armed encounter, or to have one on board in case of a malfunction with the originally loaded magazine.

Yeah, it's irritating to have others dictate magazine capacity, but for the vast, vast majority of us I strongly suspect that its operationally irrelevant.

Best, Jon

eric0311
02-06-2024, 12:14 AM
See this thread about my Gen5 Glock 19 10 round mags…

Long story short… they work. Not only with ball, but with numerous JHP rounds, of all grains and sizes. I wouldn’t hesitate carrying them for self-defense.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?56330-Gen5-Glock-19-10-round-magazines

eric0311
02-06-2024, 12:16 AM

Your data is inaccurate on Glocks latest rendition on Gen 5 G19 10 round mags.

L-2
02-06-2024, 12:19 AM
Post 19, thanks for the info.
Apparently or perhaps, Glock maybe did make some change(s) to its latest 10-round G19 mag.
I wonder what the changes were.

JonInWA
02-06-2024, 02:17 PM
I believe that last year there was a realization within Glock (or at least Glock Smyrna) that with some 9 states with magazine capacity limits, and more probably to occur, that Glock needed to have truly credible 10 round magazines for their full- and compact-sized platforms, or they would be in effect orphaning (or severely limiting the usage venues) sales of new guns effected, or significantly surrendering the 10 round magazine market to aftermarket manufacturers.

I believe accordingly that there were manufacturing running changes incorporated into the followers; the easy button are Gen5 orange followered 10 round magazines. Since they'll fit in previous generation guns (except the 19X), they're the ones I'll use for EDC/duty with JHP cartridges. Earlier 10 round non-Gen5 magazines are used for non-JHP use, such as range/IDPA, etc.

Best, Jon

User365
02-06-2024, 04:26 PM
Just to add to my experience with this.

I bought a Gen 5 17 in early 2019. Living in a ban state I received 10 round mags.

First thousand rounds I had no issues, however, started to develop issues with FTF on the last round or two in a mag occasionally. This would be maybe 1 issue every 100 or 200 rounds. I put an RMA in to Glock, and they sent over some different followers (black not orange) that I should try.

That completely solved my issue and haven’t had a malfunction since.

I also put a few thousand rounds through the Magpul 17 10 round mags, without so much as a hiccup either.

I still however, have a bit of a trust issue with the Glock OEM 10 round mags. If I had to carry my 17 at this point, I would probably trust the Magpuls more personally. But luckily I have a G26 and avoid this dilemma entirely.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-09-2024, 05:06 PM
A small experiment. Yesterday we had a practice session, one stage was a 20 round stage, so two mags (ban state), shoot ten, reload shoot ten. No topping off to start with eleven. Ran the stage twice. Gun was a Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS with an SRO mounted. The mags were three brand new OEM Glock 10 rounders with black followers (that I had laying around), straight from the package and one 10 round Magpul that had been used for a couple years - about 25 outings.

The Hollow points were four mags loaded with :

Two with - Sig-Sauer Elite Defense V Crown 124 GR JHP
Two with - Hornady American Gunner 124 gr XTP +P

Results - no jams with any of the 4 mags. I did note that racking in a round seemed a little stiffer than an FMJ.

Later runs on other stages with WWB or Herter FMJ - no jams. These were with well used magazines.

Side things to note. One guy mentioned that during the previous match, his Hellcat had a KB, dismantling the gun and minor injuries to his hand. Didn't see that as it was in another time slot. Due to using some "dude's" reloads.

So not a conclusive, intensive test but just for info. The EDC is a Glock 26 Gen 3 with 10 round OEMs for our wonderful bans to keep America safe.

Side bar again - for our RDS debates and geezers. I don't see a massive improvement over irons but I haven't truly put in a lot of practice with the RDS, just shoot it at matches. That's all the time I have.

awp_101
02-09-2024, 05:19 PM
We've had some recent discussion on this. In my testing, with a Gen 3 G17, Gen 3 G19, Gen4 G22 and Gen5 G23, I've found that Gen5 orange followered magazines are the way to go with 10 round magazines regarding Glock magazines.

Magpul 10 round magazines for the G17 and G19 have also performed excellently.

Are you running the Magpul follower in the Magpul mags or the orange Glock follower in Magpul mags?

JonInWA
02-09-2024, 11:01 PM
Are you running the Magpul follower in the Magpul mags or the orange Glock follower in Magpul mags?

No customization, cannibalization or parts swapping whatsoever; Magpul magazines are run as they came, same with the Glock magazines.

Best, Jon

awp_101
02-10-2024, 08:41 AM
No customization, cannibalization or parts swapping whatsoever; Magpul magazines are run as they came, same with the Glock magazines.

Best, Jon

That's what I figured, just wanted to make sure I hadn't misunderstood. Thanks!

JonInWA
02-10-2024, 04:45 PM
My preferences are with the Glock Gen5 ones (with the orange followers), as they have performed flawlessly to date, and seem more suitable for protracted use due to their seemingly heavier duty construction and metal liners. I feel totally comfortable using them for EDC, duty, and IDPA/ASI.

Conversely, the Magpuls feel, well, flimsier in comparison. In fairness, I've had zero issues with them (not can I recall of hearing of any), but currently am restricting their use to IDPA/ASI and training. It's nice having both options (and the Magpuls are significantly less expensive than the Glocks), and it'll be interesting to see how the respective magazines hold up under protracted use.

Best, Jon