PDA

View Full Version : New "Compact" Modlite Pistol Light

Tokarev
02-02-2024, 02:28 PM
I haven't seen this posted yet. Apologies if we already knew about this.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ytkJUeHFHV0?si=1_nSDk7obdtoUK2s

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

dontshakepandas
02-02-2024, 03:29 PM
I haven't seen this posted yet. Apologies if we already knew about this.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ytkJUeHFHV0?si=1_nSDk7obdtoUK2s

I'm interested, but that video seems to show it on a Glock 17 and it still quite a bit longer than the slide, so I'm not sure how "compact" it actually is.

NH Shooter
02-02-2024, 03:54 PM
Old farts on pistol lights (I'm an old fart too);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQHgbltzGdA&t=1196s

Up1911Fan
02-05-2024, 09:27 PM
I'm more interested in the head on an 18650 handheld body. I've been a big Cloud Defensive supporter, but I've been bugging them for 2 years to offer a slimmer MCH head for those of us who actually carry full size light in the pocket everyday.

Utm
02-05-2024, 10:13 PM
Fool me once...never again modlite

Spectre3
02-08-2024, 11:46 AM
I'm more interested in the head on an 18650 handheld body. I've been a big Cloud Defensive supporter, but I've been bugging them for 2 years to offer a slimmer MCH head for those of us who actually carry full size light in the pocket everyday.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I like my MCH-HC, even though it doesn't actually put out the claimed candela. It's performance is very close to a PLHv2 and that's great for an EDC light that isn't solely focused on defensive use. It's smaller than the HLX it replaced, but I'm pretty much sold on my next light being an 18650 modlite with this new head. I'm hoping it'll be what I've wanted in a light for a long time: better candela than my HLX in a light roughly the size of my first EDC light, a surefire e2 led.

Super77
02-08-2024, 03:45 PM
Fool me once...never again modlite

What do you mean?

JSGlock34
02-08-2024, 11:14 PM
Does this get it down to X300 length? Wonder if it opens more holster compatibility?

Utm
02-09-2024, 12:49 AM
What do you mean?

Bought the pl350 as soon as it came out. It is now on my dry fire gun and the x300 turbo is on the duty gun. Didn't fit multiple safariland holsters I have, activated way too easily including in the holster, wasn't a fan of the over travel when trying to deactivate it.

dontshakepandas
02-09-2024, 07:44 AM
Does this get it down to X300 length? Wonder if it opens more holster compatibility?

If they didn't get it at least that short then it is a complete failure. Even at the same length as an X300, I can't see any reason why someone would choose that over an X300 Turbo (which is VERY good).

Magsz
02-09-2024, 09:15 PM
If they didn't get it at least that short then it is a complete failure. Even at the same length as an X300, I can't see any reason why someone would choose that over an X300 Turbo (which is VERY good).

X300 switches are very sticky and lack defined clicks. I often over drive the switch to a position where I am not trying to drive it due to how mushy and stiff the detents are.

Other than that, the X300 is a wonderful light.

dontshakepandas
02-09-2024, 09:50 PM
X300 switches are very sticky and lack defined clicks. I often over drive the switch to a position where I am not trying to drive it due to how mushy and stiff the detents are.

Other than that, the X300 is a wonderful light.

I have noticed that too, but they do seem to break in a bit with use.

paperman
02-09-2024, 10:32 PM
One battery, IR head, high lumen head, high candela head, multi mode head, red light head, can use the SF m340 df turbo head for 18350 & cr123.

Bought the pl350 as soon as it came out. It is now on my dry fire gun and the x300 turbo is on the duty gun. Didn't fit multiple safariland holsters I have, activated way too easily including in the holster, wasn't a fan of the over travel when trying to deactivate it.
Need to jump on the alien gear rapid force duty holster train. It fits your Glock with no light, x300, pl350, & tlr1-hl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utm
02-10-2024, 12:04 AM
One battery, IR head, high lumen head, high candela head, multi mode head, red light head, can use the SF m340 df turbo head for 18350 & cr123.

Need to jump on the alien gear rapid force duty holster train. It fits your Glock with no light, x300, pl350, & tlr1-hl

Not authorized

Tokarev
02-10-2024, 09:15 PM

And no need to remove the light every time the battery needs a recharge.

NH Shooter
02-11-2024, 03:12 AM

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I like my MCH-HC, even though it doesn't actually put out the claimed candela. It's performance is very close to a PLHv2 and that's great for an EDC light that isn't solely focused on defensive use. It's smaller than the HLX it replaced, but I'm pretty much sold on my next light being an 18650 modlite with this new head. I'm hoping it'll be what I've wanted in a light for a long time: better candela than my HLX in a light roughly the size of my first EDC light, a surefire e2 led.

This can already be accomplished with their Legacy Enhanced heads, though a slimmer version would be nice;

https://i.ibb.co/k17js7z/modlitelego-1.jpg

AMC
02-11-2024, 12:14 PM
paperman, how long have you been using the Alien Gear Rapid Force holster? We tested it back when I was still at my old place, but there were concerns about the high number of tiny screws used in its construction (some of which went missing for one of our evaluators during a 3 day class).

Everybody liked how user-configurable the holster was, and it was intuitive and fast for someone used to an ALS/SLS holster. The missing screws worried us, as did the fact that some users found the belt attachment stiff and uncomfortable. The lack of corresponding plainclothes models was also a negative. Ultimately we settled on the Blackhawk T Series as the best Safariland alternative at the time (US Duty Gear hadn't yet come out with their ALS analog). I've since learned that my successor decided that multiple release mechanisms that are activated separately was a mandatory feature, so they're testing the Rapid Force again (even though they have multiple written T&E reports on them already). *Sigh*. If cops couldn't reinvent the wheel, how would they spend their time?

Up1911Fan
02-11-2024, 12:40 PM
This can already be accomplished with their Legacy Enhanced heads, though a slimmer version would be nice;

The legacy enhanced head is the same diameter as either the OKW or PLH.

paperman
02-11-2024, 12:58 PM
paperman, how long have you been using the Alien Gear Rapid Force holster? We tested it back when I was still at my old place, but there were concerns about the high number of tiny screws used in its construction (some of which went missing for one of our evaluators during a 3 day class).

Everybody liked how user-configurable the holster was, and it was intuitive and fast for someone used to an ALS/SLS holster. The missing screws worried us, as did the fact that some users found the belt attachment stiff and uncomfortable. The lack of corresponding plainclothes models was also a negative. Ultimately we settled on the Blackhawk T Series as the best Safariland alternative at the time (US Duty Gear hadn't yet come out with their ALS analog). I've since learned that my successor decided that multiple release mechanisms that are activated separately was a mandatory feature, so they're testing the Rapid Force again (even though they have multiple written T&E reports on them already). *Sigh*. If cops couldn't reinvent the wheel, how would they spend their time?

I’ve had mine about 9 months. The credit belongs to mil spec mojo for switching.

A year later update
https://youtu.be/utqmmfB4OlQ?si=DZ_neNNHBkK56_Fe

First video
https://youtu.be/K_KS-22qGQo?si=515ofRJ0HznPq6Az

Spectre3
02-12-2024, 09:51 AM

I love the x300 turbo. Surefire was very late to the candela game, but making the turbo in the same footprint as the x300u was genius. Now they just need to make an 18350 light. I understand .gov contracting is the vast majority of their business so there isn't as much incentive to do so.

As it sits currently, the pl350 and in particular the new compact head coming offers an 18350 light that is almost as slim as whatever gun it's mounted to, which is a big deal for a lot of people for CCW and plain clothes work. It's also modular for people that want to swap heads. Lastly, the battery can be changed without removing it from the gun.

I also prefer the constant only switching. I'm past the point where I want to try to shoot while holding momentary. I just turn the light on and off as the situation dictates. I do wish the pl350 switch detents were a little firmer though.

Spectre3
02-12-2024, 11:49 AM

It still uses the current full-size head though. The smaller diameter compact head, being the same diameter as the body (which I'm aware is thicker than the E2) would sit in the pocket better than the typical form factor of the head being larger than the body.

Default.mp3
02-12-2024, 11:54 AM
Now they just need to make an 18350 light. I understand .gov contracting is the vast majority of their business so there isn't as much incentive to do so.https://www.surefire.com/m340dft-pro/

Unless you're talking about pistol lights specifically, in which case, I suppose they could still do it as a dual fuel, given that they're still able to drive the M340DFT Pro with a CR123A, but yeah, it seems a bit less likely.

NH Shooter
02-12-2024, 12:50 PM
It still uses the current full-size head though. The smaller diameter compact head, being the same diameter as the body (which I'm aware is thicker than the E2) would sit in the pocket better than the typical form factor of the head being larger than the body.

Understood & agreed, but at least the compact dimensions of an E-series body can be accomplished now. I would not hold my breath for Modlite to offer another series of E-compatible heads though. No doubt this new PL350C uses the same threads as the full size lights (not E-series).

BTW, does anyone yet know the output specs of this PL350C?

dontshakepandas
02-12-2024, 12:55 PM
Understood & agreed, but at least the compact dimensions of an E-series body can be accomplished now. I would not hold my breath for Modlite to offer another series of E-compatible heads though. No doubt this new PL350C uses the same threads as the full size lights (not E-series).

They haven't released output specs yet.

Up1911Fan
02-12-2024, 01:15 PM

Your the only one talking about an E series body, It's still a big head regardless of the body. The new head is the same diameter as the body.

jd950
02-12-2024, 06:36 PM

I have been using one for several months. Not approved, but I am "special." I have not had it on the street, but have used it extensively while teaching, for shoots and at a couple of schools. It will rattle a bit until adjusted but that is easy and seams to stay in adjustment. When retention is released it is a bit noisy. It can be used with the Aliengear mounting system or Safariland mounts or Bladetech mounts and I like that the retention can be adjusted somewhat for user preference and hand size. I have been using it with a QLS and have never tried the Aliengear mount.

All those screws are unnerving and I think they should have thread locker, and believe that would take care of the problem. I have also seen tension adjustment screws fall off Safariland holsters, so nothing is perfect. I have not loctited mine, specifically to see if something falls off. So far no problems, but would/will treat them all before ever taking out in the wild.

I like that there is not barrel stabilizer, so blue guns and SIRT guns don't need to be modified or the holster modified, and the open bottom means it won't work as a brass / rock/ french fry holder.

It is as fast or faster to draw from as a 6390, and faster than a 6360. The biggest negative I hear form folks who say anything or ask is that it is weird-looking.

NH Shooter
02-13-2024, 10:53 AM
Your the only one talking about an E series body, It's still a big head regardless of the body. The new head is the same diameter as the body.

Does anyone have the OD size of the PL350C head?

A few existing heads;

Malkoff MDC E2HT, E2S, Bodyguard, etc. - 1.03"
Malkoff E2XT - 1.23"
Modlite Legacy - 1.180"

A visual comparison of 18350 lights;

https://i.ibb.co/cY26fsw/comparison1.jpg

newyork
02-13-2024, 11:17 AM
I still want that Fat boy. Every time I remember it, I’m broke. That and the walk the dog would be a perfect combo for me.

Spectre3
05-24-2024, 09:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKW1qTeTY_s&ab_channel=ModliteSystems

Modlite went live now talking about features. Specs are in the description. Kind of underwhelming at 18k candela. Hopefully they'll have more compact heads coming out that can give some of that candela back.

Up1911Fan
05-24-2024, 09:14 AM
Just ordered one, specifically because I want to try the new head as a slimmer pocket light. By the time holsters are available I'm sure the head will be available separately to replace on the WML body.

Tokarev
05-24-2024, 10:38 AM
Now that the light is live I'll share these pics of one of the prototypes. Note the savings in overall length.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240524/01889534c67b215974eed6f2991502ce.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240524/ab84930f1db7b6b10ed3a1b5a921dd8d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240524/d885d5b313fe9884d0a7d93a66009b5c.jpg

dontshakepandas
05-24-2024, 12:37 PM
Now that the light is live I'll share these pics of one of the prototypes. Note the savings in overall length.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240524/01889534c67b215974eed6f2991502ce.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240524/ab84930f1db7b6b10ed3a1b5a921dd8d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240524/d885d5b313fe9884d0a7d93a66009b5c.jpg

Any pics of it on a G19 or compared to an X300T?

Tokarev
05-24-2024, 12:46 PM
Any pics of it on a G19 or compared to an X300T?Nope. Sorry.

Tokarev
05-24-2024, 03:37 PM
https://youtu.be/8x_-UtZXlWE?si=nd-ruSZ4zX_d4QMa

Up1911Fan
05-29-2024, 04:35 PM
Here's how the new compact head looks on an 18350 body. I wanted something smaller than the CD MCH and brighter than the ProTac 1L-AA for summer pocket carry. Need to get some more night time use with it, but I like it so far.

KentuckyWindage
06-02-2024, 08:28 AM
Any pics of it on a G19 or compared to an X300T?

From Modlites website video…..

dontshakepandas
06-02-2024, 09:29 PM
From Modlites website video…..

So it’s only “compact” when compared to their own pistol light?

Not sure why anybody would want this.

KentuckyWindage
06-02-2024, 09:43 PM

My thoughts exactly

Spectre3
06-03-2024, 08:45 AM

I was interested in this light until the specs release. It's roughly the same length as a TLR-1HL but it's slimmer (which is the most important dimension for me in regards to CCW), doesn't have momentary, and is compatible with their full size heads. That was very appealing to me until I saw the drastic reduction in candela. Everyone expected lower candela, but that big of a reduction compared to the reduction in size is a no-go for myself and a lot of others.

Noah
06-03-2024, 10:06 AM
I was interested in this light until the specs release. It's roughly the same length as a TLR-1HL but it's slimmer (which is the most important dimension for me in regards to CCW), doesn't have momentary, and is compatible with their full size heads. That was very appealing to me until I saw the drastic reduction in candela. Everyone expected lower candela, but that big of a reduction compared to the reduction in size is a no-go for myself and a lot of others.

I don’t think “Streamlight out doing the compact Modlite with a new longer TLR7 head” was on anyone’s 2024 bingo card

Spectre3
06-03-2024, 10:26 AM
I don’t think “Streamlight out doing the compact Modlite with a new longer TLR7 head” was on anyone’s 2024 bingo card

Certainly not on mine. The 7x matching the -1HL in output is pretty great. That said, while I get the desire to change form factor as little as possible from a tooling and holster compatibility perspective, they could've come out with an 18350 powered light that could've been even better. Maybe they'll do something like that for a -1HL replacement...