PDA

View Full Version : IWB Sweat Guards

KentF
03-31-2011, 10:20 AM
I just recently purchased a IWB holster for my HK P30 and found that the sweat guard interferes with my grip on the gun. The rear edge rubs tightly against my thumb when I grip the gun and prevents me from getting a good grip. It is so tight that I feel with repeated drawings from the holster during practice or at a class it would rub the skin off.

I've contacted the manufacturer and they have authorized a return and asked me to send them a photo. I've haven't had this issue with my holsters for my BHP and HK USP45c, but they are both by another holster maker.

Has anyone had similar issues with holsters they have had?

TR675
03-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Yep. I had this problem with a blade tech tuckable holster. I solved the problem in about 15 minutes with a Dremel tool by cutting down the portion of the holster that rubbed on my thumb so it is about equal with the slide and frame. Kydex is pretty easy to work with. This mod made a world of difference.

rsa-otc
03-31-2011, 11:29 AM
This was discussed on the FT&T forum under the thread Correcting a bad grip during draw . Xacto Knives and Dremil tools ruled the day in that thread.

ToddG
03-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Far too many holster companies produce products with no clue as to what is actually necessary for a fast presentation. If a shirt/sweat guard interferes in any way with getting a proper and complete strong hand grip on the pistol in the holster, it needs to be fixed (or nixed).

VolGrad
03-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Far too many holster companies produce products with no clue as to what is actually necessary for a fast presentation.
This ... and not just talking about fast presentation either. From the look of many of the designs I've seen the mfg thinks of a holster as a way to secure the pistol when you aren't shooting and nothing more.

I have mod'd a holster with a dremel and sandpaper myself. It wasn't the sweat guard though but to allow access to the mag release button. It was covered. I wanted it open. Problem solved in 5 minutes.

If you like the holster otherwise and plan on keeping it ... don't be afraid to get your hands dirty with it. Just make sure you don't do anything that compromises safety or retention.

KentF
03-31-2011, 11:56 AM
This was discussed on the FT&T forum under the thread Correcting a bad grip during draw . Xacto Knives and Dremil tools ruled the day in that thread.

Thanks for the information on the FT&T forum. After looking at that thread I'll be reevaluating what I'm looking for in a holster.

KentF
03-31-2011, 03:13 PM

If you like the holster otherwise and plan on keeping it ... don't be afraid to get your hands dirty with it. Just make sure you don't do anything that compromises safety or retention.

"Fixing" the issue I have with this holster, which is leather, would involve getting into the stitching which isn't something I want to do. It is on it's way back now.

John Ralston
03-31-2011, 04:25 PM
I usually try to keep the sweat shield approx even with the bottom of the slide for this reason. Many companies make the shields way too big in my opinion. If you can't get a grip or access the mag release, there is an issue.

The sweat shield on that rig is about 2X the size of what it really needs to be. I find that when they get oversize, I get poked more by the sweat shield than I would from the gun if it (the shield) was properly sized.

JodyH
03-31-2011, 04:50 PM
I knew exactly which holster you were talking about before you even posted the picture.
The sweat shield on those is also entirely too thick.
That's why I buy the "Hideaway" (no sweat shield) instead of their other offerings.

SmokeJumper
03-31-2011, 11:26 PM
Sweatshields are one of those things that it's either right or its not because your grip is where it starts. If it's a kydex holster and money is not a worry then by all means experiment on it. Leather holsters are a different story when it comes to mods for most of us. Good luck with your holster search

MechEng
04-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Every Kydex holster I’ve ever owned, with the exception of the CCC Shaggy, I’ve had to take a Dremel tool & sand paper to the sweat shield.

SteveK
04-01-2011, 12:31 PM
In most cases you only need enough material to cover the top edge of the slide, if any. Personally, the guard only serves to keep the top of the slide from digging into my torso when I bend at the waist.

JonInWA
04-05-2011, 05:18 PM
I personally prefer the sweat shields on my kydex holsters, as both an aid to reholstering and comfort. The ones on all my Blade-Tech IWB holsters have worked quite well with no modifications needed. YMMV.

Best, Jon

The Fish
04-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Had the same problem on a Comp-tac Minataur.
I just cut off a small piece of leather where my thumb needed to go against the pistol.
Now thumb goes right between my skin and the gun.
Had a shoemaker then sew the new section of edge.

Dropkick
04-14-2011, 01:56 PM
I've got a OWB Kydex Comp-Tac I need to do a sweat guard removal treatment to.

I mean, what do you even need it for on a OWB??

Occam's Razor
04-14-2011, 02:10 PM
I've got a OWB Kydex Comp-Tac I need to do a sweat guard removal treatment to.

If you carry in a suit and dress shirt, any type of oil ruins dress shirts. Gets pretty expensive after a while.

VolGrad
04-14-2011, 02:17 PM
To keep your shirt from getting caught up in your rig while you re-holster.

I've taken more than a couple of classes and even when wearing a kydex OWB rig with tac pants, and a tucked in t-shirt this can be an issue. The full sweat guard is just one more safety layer IMO.

EDIT: My wife loves the Dropkick Murphys.

Dropkick
04-15-2011, 07:28 AM
They say you learn something new everyday.
Today, I learned two things!
*feels so ahead of the curve* :cool:
Thanks guys.

TGS
04-17-2011, 07:35 PM
They say you learn something new everyday.
Today, I learned two things!
*feels so ahead of the curve* :cool:
Thanks guys.

Dropkick, do you have the adjustable cant model? I bought their adjustable cant model with the belt slide and the belt slide is friggin' horrendous. It doesn't secure at all and has a pressure point that digs into my hip.....way uncomfortable. I like the actual holster body, though the sweat guard did seem a little large to me as well(certainly larger than my CCC's sweat guard).

Dropkick
04-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Dropkick, do you have the adjustable cant model? I bought their adjustable cant model with the belt slide and the belt slide is friggin' horrendous. It doesn't secure at all and has a pressure point that digs into my hip.....way uncomfortable. I like the actual holster body, though the sweat guard did seem a little large to me as well(certainly larger than my CCC's sweat guard).

Yes, I have the adjustable cant model. I haven't tried the belt slide yet, thanks for the head's up. The sweat strap was huge on mine, I had to send it back to get cut down, because it was tearing up with web of my thumb / index finger. When I got it back it was still rubbing. Not to mention, I didn't realize that model didn't have a speed cut, which I would have liked. Anyways, I wouldn't recommend that model to anyone...