PDA

View Full Version : H9 is back on the menu!

Tackleberry40sw
01-22-2024, 08:34 AM
https://youtu.be/AgLKHFudbnQ?si=Jm1-wHBCrh5OZwTa

https://youtu.be/i6JZ7ouimtk?si=PhKPLc1i4d9HIIX4

TCinVA
01-22-2024, 09:18 AM
I really like how they brought the trigger itself up into the frame more than the original. It looks like a very thoughtful redesign of the concept. I'd love to shoot one. I'd need a manual safety on it to consider using it, but it looks like a big leap in the right direction.

Bigghoss
01-22-2024, 09:49 AM
I'd love to shoot one. I'd need a manual safety on it to consider using it

That was my thought too. That trigger travel looked pretty short in the video. I'm not gonna carry that thing without a manual safety.

I know a guy with an original H9 and I remember it feeling very soft to shoot. I'm very intrested to see how this pans out.

Totem Polar
01-22-2024, 11:18 AM
Oh man, here we go…

RevolverRob
01-22-2024, 11:55 AM
Thumb safety or bust. That was the appeal of the original H9 - a 1911-esque thumb safety + grip frame.

Curious, is Daniel Defense going to honor Hudson's warranty claims and replace the first buyers broken guns?

___

Again, something that makes me torn - I want the H9 to be back and on the market, made by a better and more reliable manufacturer. Simultaneously, the first one was such a disaster and it's clear Hudson and his wife were scam artists - that I am irritated at the fact that this design didn't die. Instead they managed to abscond with a bunch of money and then sell the H9 IP and more or less get away with theft.

G19Fan
01-22-2024, 12:00 PM
Thumb safety or bust. That was the appeal of the original H9 - a 1911-esque thumb safety + grip frame.

Curious, is Daniel Defense going to honor Hudson's warranty claims and replace the first buyers broken guns?

___

Again, something that makes me torn - I want the H9 to be back and on the market, made by a better and more reliable manufacturer. Simultaneously, the first one was such a disaster and it's clear Hudson and his wife were scam artists - that I am irritated at the fact that this design didn't die. Instead they managed to abscond with a bunch of money and then sell the H9 IP and more or less get away with theft.

I don't see why they would. Daniel Defense redesigned a lot of.the gun

RevolverRob
01-22-2024, 12:06 PM
I don't see why they would. Daniel Defense redesigned a lot of.the gun

Why they would - is to right the wrong of Cy Hudson.

I acknowledge that it would not make good business sense on DD's part. Nor would I blame them for not doing it or hold it against them for not doing it. But if they chose to do it - I think it would be a good way to demonstrate their dedication. On a separate but related note - if I were DD one reason to do it is to buy up all the inferior H9s you can to turn them into scrap - so that those piles of excrement simply no longer exist.

Default.mp3
01-22-2024, 12:16 PM
Thumb safety or bust. That was the appeal of the original H9 - a 1911-esque thumb safety + grip frame.The H9s never came with a thumb safety from the factory. Thumb safety kits were promised, and I believe eventually were on the market, but I never recalled the primary appeal of the H9 having to do anything with the idea that it could support a thumb safety, at least when it was all over P&S.

TCinVA
01-22-2024, 12:24 PM
If the new DD H9 has so little parts commonality with the Hudson version I don't see how they could support it.

Totem Polar
01-22-2024, 12:31 PM
Hell, S&W doesn’t even support parts incompatible guns that they made, and are still ostensibly in the line up.

Best DD can do is some hat/t-shirt swag and a 15% off coupon against a new one with trade in, if that. JMO.

G19Fan
01-22-2024, 12:45 PM

I acknowledge that it would not make good business sense on DD's part. Nor would I blame them for not doing it or hold it against them for not doing it. But if they chose to do it - I think it would be a good way to demonstrate their dedication. On a separate but related note - if I were DD one reason to do it is to buy up all the inferior H9s you can to turn them into scrap - so that those piles of excrement simply no longer exist.

Still don't see how that makes business sense or even buys loyalty in a super fickle gun market.

RevolverRob
01-22-2024, 12:56 PM
The H9s never came with a thumb safety from the factory. Thumb safety kits were promised, and I believe eventually were on the market, but I never recalled the primary appeal of the H9 having to do anything with the idea that it could support a thumb safety, at least when it was all over P&S.

First, my opinion - I think P&S sucks, so I don't know what they were talking about back then (or now), because I have honestly never paid much attention to them.

Second, the appeal to the Hudson to me and other 1911-dorks was the 1911-shape, a decent trigger, and a 1911-style thumb safety.

Third, yea the thumb safety kit never made it to market.

If the new DD H9 has so little parts commonality with the Hudson version I don't see how they could support it.

Replace the broken/never-should-have been sold guns or at least offer the coupon below -

Hell, S&W doesn’t even support parts incompatible guns that they made, and are still ostensibly in the line up.

Best DD can do is some hat/t-shirt swag and a 15% off coupon against a new one with trade in, if that. JMO.

Right, but S&W would also recall and replace under recall guns that should have never left the factory in the first place. Which, judging by the ~8-9k or so Hudsons that ended up in circulation is ~50% of them.

I know it's a caveat emptor world and especially when you buy from a start up manufacturer.

I guess I'm still cranky about it ~5 years down the road now. The H9 is a promising gun and I hope that DD gives us a thumb safety - so I can buy one or twelve.

Sensei
01-22-2024, 02:31 PM
Curious, is Daniel Defense going to honor Hudson's warranty claims and replace the first buyers broken

DD bought the rights to the design. They didn’t buy Hudson Mfg. LLC. Thus, they are in no way legally or morally responsible for the poor decisions of Hudson Mfg’s former customers.

RevolverRob
01-22-2024, 02:45 PM
DD bought the rights to the design. They didn’t buy Hudson Mfg. LLC. Thus, they are in no way legally or morally responsible for the poor decisions of Hudson Mfg’s former customers.

That's one of the noticeable differences between you and me.

the Schwartz
01-22-2024, 02:53 PM

That's some awfully expensive ''satisfaction'' for a Pyrrhic victory, RR. ;)

Sensei
01-22-2024, 03:05 PM
Let me get this straight, in the gun enthusiast’s world, a company that buys a design from a separate company to improve upon the design is supposed to indemnify the other company’s former customers for the early generations that they never produced?

Did AOC hack RR’s account?

fly out
01-22-2024, 03:55 PM
If I was running DD, I would never print the name "Hudson" on any of my materials. I might allow a SHOT booth rep to whisper, "Remember the Hudson? This is like that, only right."

Gun hipsters won't have to be reminded of the connection. This falls into the category of, If They Know, They Know. If someone doesn't know about Hudson, you certainly wouldn't want to bring it up.

RevolverRob
01-22-2024, 04:35 PM
Let me get this straight, in the gun enthusiast’s world, a company that buys a design from a separate company to improve upon the design is supposed to indemnify the other company’s former customers for the early generations that they never produced?

Did AOC hack RR’s account?

Sure, we'll go with that. I thought I was clear - asking if DD will be/would be, not that they HAD to. Also I thought I was clear that it doesn't make financial sense to do so. And probably only business sense in the loosest way possible.

If I was running DD, I would never print the name "Hudson" on any of my materials. I might allow a SHOT booth rep to whisper, "Remember the Hudson? This is like that, only right."

Gun hipsters won't have to be reminded of the connection. This falls into the category of, If They Know, They Know. If someone doesn't know about Hudson, you certainly wouldn't want to bring it up.

I'm surprised they kept the H9 moniker, I would not have.

--

FWIW - folks seem to think I am suggesting something bizarre. When Bond Arms bought Boberg's IP - they agreed to provide some level of service and support to existing Boberg owners for a period of time. Bond Arms bought the Boberg IP and existing stock - NOT the company. Bond Arms then subsequently redesigned a decent portion of the Boberg to increase reliability. Did Bond Arms have to do this? Nope. Should they have been compelled by law to do it? No.

Daniel Defense should not be compelled to do so, either, nor did I say they HAD to.

--

Anyways moving on - I hope the thumb safety makes it to market this time.

Sensei
01-22-2024, 07:59 PM
Sure, we'll go with that. I thought I was clear - asking if DD will be/would be, not that they HAD to. Also I thought I was clear that it doesn't make financial sense to do so. And probably only business sense in the loosest way possible.

I'm surprised they kept the H9 moniker, I would not have.

--

FWIW - folks seem to think I am suggesting something bizarre. When Bond Arms bought Boberg's IP - they agreed to provide some level of service and support to existing Boberg owners for a period of time. Bond Arms bought the Boberg IP and existing stock - NOT the company. Bond Arms then subsequently redesigned a decent portion of the Boberg to increase reliability. Did Bond Arms have to do this? Nope. Should they have been compelled by law to do it? No.

Daniel Defense should not be compelled to do so, either, nor did I say they HAD to.

--

Anyways moving on - I hope the thumb safety makes it to market this time.

Rob, I think the point than many of us have is that the video made it clear that, while DD may have bought the rights to the H9, this new offering is a complete redesign of the original concept. They share a single spring, the sear block spring, when it comes to parts commonality. Everything else is a complete redesign and not compatible with the original Hudson pistol - frame, barrel, slide, magazines, extractor, slide release, recoil spring, guide rod, etc. are all new design.

So, short of simply giving existing Hudson owners a new H9, how were you expecting them to service these problematic guns that share a single spring of parts commonality with their new design? Do you expect DD to manufacture brand new parts for a defective design? How will that help these problematic guns that suffer from a faulty design?

I like you man, but the concept that you’re floating is coming out of left field. It’s not only financially impossible, it would tarnish DDs reputation to work on guns that have no chance of ever running like their new product.

Joe in PNG
01-22-2024, 08:09 PM
It may be a good idea for DD to make an offer for Hudson owners who want to trade their lemons for the new gun- say $400 or so (I'm just pulling a number out of the air here).
Then smelt the old guns.

Caballoflaco
01-22-2024, 08:13 PM
I like new DD gun. I think pricing wise it’s at a good market point just a bit more than the bargain 2011’s and considerably cheaper than Staccato’s etc. If they had a thumb safety I’d be at the LGS tomorrow to be put on a list as an early adopter

Also, don’t go to the comments sections on the videos about these where people accuse anyone who would drop $1300 on a pistol as brainwashed victims of the MSM and vaccines.

RevolverRob
01-22-2024, 08:23 PM
Rob, I think the point than many of us have is that the video made it clear that, while DD may have bought the rights to the H9, this new offering is a complete redesign of the original concept. They share a single spring, the sear block spring, when it comes to parts commonality. Everything else is a complete redesign and not compatible with the original Hudson pistol - frame, barrel, slide, magazines, extractor, slide release, recoil spring, guide rod, etc. are all new design.

So, short of simply giving existing Hudson owners a new H9, how were you expecting them to service these problematic guns that share a single spring of parts commonality with their new design? Do you expect DD to manufacture brand new parts for a defective design? How will that help these problematic guns that suffer from a faulty design?

I like you man, but the concept that you’re floating is coming out of left field. It’s not only financially impossible, it would tarnish DDs reputation to work on guns that have no chance of ever running like their new product.

Ah, now I see where the confusion came from.

I read the press release. On DD's website, which does not say anything about the redesign.

I didn't watch the videos at all. Because I literally never watch anyone's Youtube coverage of gun stuff.

Sensei
01-22-2024, 08:42 PM
Ah, now I see where the confusion came from.

I read the press release. On DD's website, which does not say anything about the redesign.

I didn't watch the videos at all. Because I literally never watch anyone's Youtube coverage of gun stuff.

No worries man. It’s all good. Party on.

Cyberpunk1981
01-22-2024, 10:09 PM
I love the look of this new H9 versus the old one. It loks very futuristic and reminds me of something I would see in Shadowrun or Cyberpunk 2077. And I am a huge fan of that look. I am just wondering when they will make a polymer version. I also can seeing them do the Glock pattern and make a longslide, a full size, a compact, and a subcompact version as well. From what I understand this uses Sig P22X series sites which means they can be changed out pretty easily, and if you just bought one you can already change the sites since they in pretty common usage.

Super77
01-22-2024, 10:42 PM
Can someone explain to me the appeal of this design? Like, what does it do that makes it special or desirable? I guess it looks sort of cool, but is there some secret performance feature?

Also, multiple people have mentioned how bad the original Hudsons were? What were the flaws that made them so bad?

MountainRaven
01-22-2024, 10:53 PM
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1199106107067601037/1199139629971034253/image0.jpg

Looks like DD is planning to introduce a number of variants, including ones with thumb safeties.

Sensei
01-22-2024, 10:59 PM
Can someone explain to me the appeal of this design? Like, what does it do that makes it special or desirable? I guess it looks sort of cool, but is there some secret performance feature?

Also, multiple people have mentioned how bad the original Hudsons were? What were the flaws that made them so bad?

The design of the recoil spring assembly in front of the trigger guard and a few other features allow an extremely low bore axis (probably the lowest on the market) to minimize muzzle rise.

Joe in PNG
01-22-2024, 11:07 PM
The design of the recoil spring assembly in front of the trigger guard and a few other features allow an extremely low bore axis (probably the lowest on the market) to minimize muzzle rise.

Is it lower than the Lago Alien?

Sensei
01-22-2024, 11:15 PM
Is it lower than the Lago Alien?

There is a reason why I used the qualifier “probably” in that post and the Alien is it. I don’t think that we know for sure yet since the new H9 will be dimensionally different from the original and I’m not aware of anyone sharing a comparison just yet.

Caballoflaco
01-22-2024, 11:29 PM

The linear trigger and a very 1911 thumb safety (if/when they’re an available) are the two biggest draws for me. Low bore axis is honestly kinda secondary.

The biggest problem with the originals was poor manufacturing, materials and tolerance stacking leading to guns not working. Iirc “oops our contractor for x part didn’t make them to spec, but we assembled and sold a bunch of pistols with those shitty parts because we still owed that vendor money for the previous parts order” was one of their struggles.

HCM
01-23-2024, 12:00 AM
It may be a good idea for DD to make an offer for Hudson owners who want to trade their lemons for the new gun- say $400 or so (I'm just pulling a number out of the air here).
Then smelt the old guns.

Not really. At best it’s l a marketing gimmick and an expensive one at that. In reality it would reinforce the negative association between the failed original H9 and the DD redesign.

Honestly, while I have full faith in DD’s engineering prowess to make a gun the actually works, I don’t see any real purpose for this thing but as a range toy and hipster flex.

The people that bought the original H9s and will buy the new H9s are going to (unironically) buy what they want. A few hundred bucks won’t sway them significantly.

PS:

It’s apparently still using the S&W 5900 series magazines, which are functional but sort of a dead end since S&W 5900 series guns are long out of production..

Joe in PNG
01-23-2024, 12:07 AM
Fair enough.
Conversely, it could also be seen as a financial vote confidence in the new re-design, and a bit of Good Will towards those who got stuck with a bad gun.
And it's not like there's millions of the things out there.

But it all comes down to the +'s and -'s. After all, they're running a business.

Robert Mitchum
01-23-2024, 03:09 AM
Will Daniel Defense warranty the old Hudson H9’s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzsfY3zfwm4

Archer1440
01-23-2024, 04:06 AM
How about we see how these things are actually running in a few months before we appoint AOC as the CFO of DD?

Gobsmacked at this narrative.

JRV
01-23-2024, 07:11 AM
I can’t believe this thing is back. It shoots no better than a Steyr, Caracal, or Arsenal. Move the spring whereever you want, the reciprocating mass is still above and in front of the wrists. The mass of the slide and how it’s sprung is oodles more important than its height.

That’s from the old marketing videos demonstrating how flat the H9 was.

That’s a high-bore axis Sig P320. Both guns are at full slide travel with brass visibly just ejecting from the port. Both guns are equally flat. One gun costs less than half what the other costs.

I hope the DD H9 works better than the old ones, and I hope Marty makes a billion dollars selling them to happy customers. As someone with a disposable income to spend on pistols, I’m not going to be swimming in that pool.

Default.mp3
01-23-2024, 08:42 AM
How is typical WML switchology with the rail that low? How well does it interact with holsters if a WML is mounted that low?

Noah
01-23-2024, 08:57 AM
DD has moved to a more conventional recoil spring placement.

Sensei
01-23-2024, 11:30 AM
I can’t believe this thing is back. It shoots no better than a Steyr, Caracal, or Arsenal. Move the spring whereever you want, the reciprocating mass is still above and in front of the wrists. The mass of the slide and how it’s sprung is oodles more important than its height.

That’s a high-bore axis Sig P320. Both guns are at full slide travel with brass visibly just ejecting from the port. Both guns are equally flat. One gun costs less than half what the other costs.

I hope the DD H9 works better than the old ones, and I hope Marty makes a billion dollars selling them to happy customers. As someone with a disposable income to spend on pistols, I’m not going to be swimming in that pool.

But, but - I was told that it felt like getting a handjob from Lauren Boebert with every squeeze of the trigger…

the Schwartz
01-23-2024, 12:21 PM
But, but - I was told that it felt like getting a handjob from Lauren Boebert with every squeeze of the trigger…

Well, that lends new meaning to a failure to eject; "short-stroke" anyone? :cool:

RevolverRob
01-23-2024, 01:24 PM

So, instead is it more like a handy from HRC or AOC?

Asking for a friend.

___

I honestly never got the 'super flat shooting' hype thing of the Hudson and don't buy it now for the DD. The reason the H9 appeals to me, a Gun Hipster and 1911-fan, has everything to do with 1911-ergos and the promised 1911-style thumb safety that make it some kind of mythical hybrid of 1911 ergonomics, BHP magazine capacity, striker fired ass end shape that could be easier to conceal. Of course in the intervening years since the Hudson disappeared we have had a number of guns come out that help bridge those gaps. Including a bunch of double-stack 1911s that do it.

Still, none of them quite have the hybrid blend the H9 promises. Maybe there is a reason for that, maybe not. The reality is with the Hudson version of the H9, we never got enough of them out and running long enough to figure out what actually sucked and did not suck about them, besides the obvious, "They don't fucking work.".

I hope the DD H9 solves that problem and allows more thorough dive into the benefits (or not) of the H9.

backtrail540
01-23-2024, 03:21 PM
I just think it looks cool. If i had the disposable income i would get one just because i like odd designs etc...same with the archon. I'm past the point of chasing the ONE. But i still like cool stuff.

RevolverRob
01-23-2024, 08:15 PM
I asked my partner in crime, who is at SHOT, if he would inquire about the thumb safety situation on the DD H9. The response he got was, "Maybe in the future."

Was hoping for an emphatic, "Yes. We're working on it now."

Joe in PNG
01-23-2024, 08:18 PM
I asked my partner in crime, who is at SHOT, if he would inquire about the thumb safety situation on the DD H9. The response he got was, "Maybe in the future."

Insert sad "womp-waa" failure music from Price is Right here

Caballoflaco
01-23-2024, 08:20 PM

Booo.

fly out
01-23-2024, 08:25 PM
I don't see how DD can say, "yes, the thumb safety is coming soon" without risking having a bunch of buyers sitting on the sidelines to wait it out.

C'mon, man. This is what they do.

RevolverRob
01-23-2024, 08:39 PM
I don't see how DD can say, "yes, the thumb safety is coming soon" without risking having a bunch of buyers sitting on the sidelines to wait it out.

That is a possibility, I am only reporting the info I was given.

I'm not sure that folks who would hold out for a thumb safety were going to buy a non-TS variant anyways. I know I won't be. I'm strictly thumb safety or bust. I suspect H9 buyers fall into one of those two camps - make it as much like a striker 1911 as possible or make it as much like a 1911-gripped Glock as possible. I kind of have my doubts that the Venn diagram of H9 buyers overlaps all that much.

That all said - we KNOW the future will include optics, a polymer frame, threaded barrels, etc. So a thumb safety is of course a possibility. With the significant rework of the design it may no longer be feasible to incorporate a thumb safety as easily as it was (ostensibly) able to be incorporated before.

Jim Watson
01-25-2024, 05:50 AM
A friend texted that the local rental range has one. Seems early but they push DD rifles and may have an inside track. I will be there this afternoon with Garmin in tow, and will check it out.

It is on Handgunhero so you can compare size and layout to other guns.

SwampDweller
01-25-2024, 07:52 AM
My brother is hellbent on getting one of these ASAP. I told him about the sh*tshow with the original H9 and advised to wait until any potential bugs could surface and be worked out, but I believe he's going to get one anyway once he finds one in stock. He and I share a family trait of continually getting out of spec guns, so I hope this is an exception. I was burned 3 times in a row by DD rifles, so I might be biased.

Sensei
01-25-2024, 08:46 AM
My brother is hellbent on getting one of these ASAP. I told him about the sh*tshow with the original H9 and advised to wait until any potential bugs could surface and be worked out, but I believe he's going to get one anyway once he finds one in stock…

https://youtu.be/mGfBEnBw01A?si=qe48a4k6G0E9NkhP

4RNR
01-25-2024, 10:13 AM
What was the big issue with the OG H9? I always thought their going under was a combination of stuff. Some QC, some poor money management and largely prematurely announcing a newer lighter model which automatically guaranteed buyers holding out waiting for the newer model

RevolverRob
01-25-2024, 10:39 AM
What was the big issue with the OG H9? I always thought their going under was a combination of stuff. Some QC, some poor money management and largely prematurely announcing a newer lighter model which automatically guaranteed buyers holding out waiting for the newer model

Hudson changed the specs on parts it contracted CVMI to make. They had to, because of reliability issues. They alleged that CVMI had given them out-of-spec parts, CVMI alleged that the specifications were changed.

Regardless, Hudson was assembling guns with the out-of-spec parts and selling them. They had to, because they did not have operating capital. They needed the money to pay bills. Then one day the money and parts ran out. Hudson shut its doors overnight and filed bankruptcy a few days later.

When that happened they had ~90 customer guns in for warranty repair. Which had been fully disassembled and were never returned to their owners. In Chapter 7 bankruptcy, they sold the H9 IP to Daniel Defense and liquidated the remaining parts they had, CVMI did the same.

At the end of the day, the Hudsons has millions of dollars in capital unaccounted for. And thousands of defective guns they had put on the market. And that's where the Hudson-part of this story ends.

Jim Watson
01-25-2024, 05:48 PM
I went to the indoor range today and sure enough they had a DD H9 for demo.
I think
Pro
Grip is OK, angle lets it come on target like 1911.
Low bore and muzzle weight make it shoot "flat."

Con
Godawful trigger.

G19Fan
01-25-2024, 06:32 PM
I think
Pro

Con
Godawful trigger.

Rented one today too.

Same issue. Grip was ok. Shot flat enough but nothing special

Trigger was awkward. Shooting at speed felt horrible (even quick indoor range speed)

https://imgur.com/a/XxkNrPY

Cyberpunk1981
01-25-2024, 06:55 PM

I mean my understanding is Hudson screwed up by announcing the aluminum version which caused people to cancel current orders for the steel framed version that were already being produced. I think it is smart to play it close to the vest and let the hype of this one drive sales before announcing a version with a safety.

RevolverRob
01-25-2024, 07:49 PM
I think
Pro

Con
Godawful trigger.

Rented one today too.

Same issue. Grip was ok. Shot flat enough but nothing special

Trigger was awkward. Shooting at speed felt horrible (even quick indoor range speed)

https://imgur.com/a/XxkNrPY

Can you guys give us a bit or a sense of what was bad about it? Length, weight, vague?

G19Fan
01-25-2024, 08:41 PM
Can you guys give us a bit or a sense of what was bad about it? Length, weight, vague?

It just feels off.

Reach is medium 1911 (I prefer short 1911 trigger)

But the fact you have to depress the trigger safety then pull straight back just felt weird. Often slow fire I would be like why hasn't this fired yet

Would not be a big deal if it was the main gun I shot

RevolverRob
01-25-2024, 11:48 PM
It just feels off.

Reach is medium 1911 (I prefer short 1911 trigger)

But the fact you have to depress the trigger safety then pull straight back just felt weird. Often slow fire I would be like why hasn't this fired yet

Would not be a big deal if it was the main gun I shot

Seeing similar thoughts out there. Lots of take up, kind of vague, not right but not "wrong", just not good.

Seems like the kind of problem easily resolved with an Apex trigger that basically becomes a flat 1911-trigger and you know since you replace the trigger and make it a bit lighter, crisper, and shorter - maybe a...Thumb safety?

Nah. That's too radical.

Jim Watson
01-26-2024, 02:42 AM
The trigger on the one here was hard and heavy, with "slap" or backlash.

Maybe it is like the demo Echelon they had. It had a sub-Glock trigger. But the second one I saw was not bad at all.

G19Fan
01-26-2024, 12:09 PM
The trigger on the one here was hard and heavy, with "slap" or backlash.

Maybe it is like the demo Echelon they had. It had a sub-Glock trigger. But the second one I saw was not bad at all.

Mine didn't have that. Mine would have been great with say a 1911 trigger lol

bac1023
01-27-2024, 07:57 AM

No thumb safety on the original

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq70/922/aSnnw6.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmaSnnw6j)

js475
02-07-2024, 05:17 PM
Got to rent one at my local range today and put 50 rounds thru it. No issues except occasional failure to lock back on the last round.

Pros:
- Very soft and flat shooting. I honestly was quite surprised as I was initially skeptical of how much the design could actually mitigate muzzle rise. Definitely shoots flatter than a stock Glock or Sig or M&P. Not quite as flat as the G19 with the Radian Ramjet that I also had with me, but it was approaching that level. I bet if someone ported or comped the H9 it would have almost no muzzle flip.
- Ergos were nice. Very 1911-ish. Felt well balanced with its aluminum frame. Controls were easy to use. I've read about some concerns about trigger reach, but it didn't feel longer than any other pistol. It might just look that way because of the appearance of the gun.
- G19 sized. Perfect size for me as a general purpose/carry gun. Barrel is a bit longer than a G19 but the grip length is pretty much exactly the same. It feels a bit thinner than a Glock but I'd have to get the calipers out to know for sure.

Neutral:
- Trigger. Some other people have said the trigger sucks, but I kinda liked it. It's by no means as good as a nice 1911/2011 trigger, so if that's what you were expecting you'll be disappointed. For a striker fired trigger I think it's one of the better ones out of the box though. I'd say it feels like a Glock performance trigger or M&P trigger, just pulling straight back instead of being hinged. Didn't have a trigger gauge but felt like ~5-6lb.

Cons:
- The beavertail was a little loose and had a sharp corner where it meets the frame. I'm not familiar enough with the design but I'm wondering why the beavertail isn't integral to the frame to begin with. When I would flag my thumb high I could feel the sharp edge rubbing the web of my hand, but I didn't notice it when I was actually shooting. If this were my gun I'd probably file that corner down.
- Price. Gun shop had them for sale for $1299 which I think is probably a bit high for what you're getting. I think the $1k mark would be a much more competitive price for these. I'd imagine the price will drop a bit once the initial hype dies down.

Overall impressions were positive. I typically wait at least 6 months to a year before buying a newly released gun, so I'll probably pick one up later this year once the initial bugs are worked out and more people start putting high round counts thru them. Hopefully by then the it will have picked up some aftermarket support with holsters, triggers, sights, etc.

MountainRaven
02-07-2024, 10:35 PM
MSRP on the H9 is the same as MAP, so don't expect to see the price drop below $1300 much, unless you get one on sale.

BWT
02-08-2024, 12:01 AM
So, in the last few weeks my wife sent me to the gun range (I don’t remember what who was compensating whom for what) and I saw the DD H9. I wanted to try it out I was a bit leery given… I’m heavily invested in Glocks and if this was really as portrayed by some I’d honestly have a hard time forgetting that and I might have to do some reflection.

That being said I shot 50 rounds through it and was intrigued by a few things and unimpressed. First, I had 2-3 stoppages and the barrel hood, etc. were visibly wet. Perhaps it was new. I have noticed in tons of marketing videos people shrugging off stoppages. Honestly, I think there may be some teething issues.

I’m used to the Glock 34 so the grip felt small, the trigger wasn’t exceptionally remarkable (I also shoot the lion share of my shooting through a Glock and a 22/45 with a Volquartsen trigger) - I didn’t feel like it staged like a 1911.

The big thing I was honestly curious about was the recoil cycle and tracking. 9-hole review had a very long and detailed review that I found decent. I would say this, the gun does recoil differently - to me it was a jab and it was felt more in the palm of your hand than a twist of the wrist per se in a recoil impulse. I wished the model I shot had a RDS because I wonder if the dot would’ve stayed more in the window in recoil.

Honestly, I wish it had a full-size grip and it had 2-3 stoppages. Recoil was different but I didn’t think it was better. But I did see where it doesn’t twist in the hand as much as drive into the hand but even then only marginally so. Maybe that’s what others are looking for? I’m good.

Not a bad gun, but not for me. I want to port a gun just to see what that’s like. I’m the dork considering a third Glock 34 just to port it. I like DD and I wish them the best. I was afraid my Glocks would be in jeopardy - I’m good.

kitten_frenzy
02-10-2024, 05:23 PM
Just picked mine up. I am not happy with this trigger.
This is after lubing and dry firing 200ish times.

https://i.imgur.com/70th9zH.jpeg

HCM
02-11-2024, 01:35 AM
Reviewer claiming the DD H9 lent to him for review is keyholing with both 115 grain and 150 grain ammunition.

https://youtu.be/mP8Ch86Ky4I?si=g0zbhGD_MhmSnPlC

Bulldog
02-11-2024, 04:21 PM
Ordered one from Daniel defense and waiting for it to ship. I’m hoping it turns out to be good. I’m not expecting much to be different in the felt recoil, I think there is only so much you can do before you hit diminishing returns. The no thumb safety is a plus to me, I see no reason for it, I’ve only carried glocks and with a trigger pull of 5-6 lbs I see no need to have one. Seems like a good opportunity to get a 2011 style ish gun and not have to retrain your draw by working in a the thumb safet, if that is what I was looking for I would just buy a staccato. Magazins priced at 25bucks is Glock territory price, which is much cheaper than other magazines in the market. Daniel defense, website says may take up to 90 days to ship, so I’ll try to report back when it comes and I get a chance to shoot it.

HCM
02-11-2024, 06:17 PM
Reviewer claiming the DD H9 lent to him for review is keyholing with both 115 grain and 150 grain ammunition.

https://youtu.be/mP8Ch86Ky4I?si=g0zbhGD_MhmSnPlC

While not exactly scientific, the individual who reported keyholing in a DD H9 found some indication the bore may be over sized.

https://youtu.be/UGJBqJNt6vI?si=xKO52NP1m8f5BnIL

RevolverRob
02-12-2024, 04:22 PM
Looks like Daniel Defense didn't burn enough sage over the patent drawings of the H9...

I hope the teething problems are short and simple. I admit, I just can't fathom not pouring every bit of QC I had into these guns from the git - because you'd be a blind fool to not see that the H9 is guilty until proven innocent.

Ghost Dog
02-13-2024, 07:38 PM
Only have handled it but,

Nice size, felt good in the hand. Not Micro/Thin in the grip, but in the slide.

Beavertail WAY too sharp.

Dry Firing trigger heavier then they are claiming but seemed like will be pretty useable or feel good when shooting. (are you comparing to $600 striker triggers, or comparing to 2011/1911 triggers?)

Was told they are hitting low.

HCM
04-23-2024, 10:48 PM
Kudos to Daniel Defense for acknowledging and taking care of H9s with the key holing issue reported earlier in this thread.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6GtrBqtxqN/?igsh=MTZlcmozZGVxaGJ3dA==