PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 30X Series Announced, “Race” Gun Version at SHOT

JRV
01-22-2024, 07:37 AM
Reengineered Tomcat/Bobcat series with flat faced triggers, extended mags, new mag release, optics compatibility… and Beretta showed up with a comped (ported?) prototype.

My “that’s neat” brain thinks it’s pretty cool and my “I’ve owned two Tomcats and now own zero because they carry and shoot worse in my hands than J-frames and PPKs” thinks it’s pretty silly.

Who’s put hands on one yet?

GJM
01-22-2024, 07:52 AM
Apparently made for preppers

https://youtu.be/v3uFRpr6WX8?si=GbJvismy4KIQ_jV3

RevolverRob
01-22-2024, 07:57 AM
On the one hand - cool.

On the other - what in the jumpin' jack flash are Beretta engineers smoking? Time for someone to open a window at Beretta HQ.

JRV
01-22-2024, 08:25 AM
Apparently made for preppers

https://youtu.be/v3uFRpr6WX8?si=GbJvismy4KIQ_jV3

Ah yes, the blazing hot “bugout bag/prepper” trend.

If zombie-themed ammo makes a comeback, I’m swimming in the Atlantic with concrete flippers.

TCinVA
01-22-2024, 08:57 AM
Reengineered Tomcat/Bobcat series with flat faced triggers, extended mags, new mag release, optics compatibility… and Beretta showed up with a comped (ported?) prototype.

My “that’s neat” brain thinks it’s pretty cool and my “I’ve owned two Tomcats and now own zero because they carry and shoot worse in my hands than J-frames and PPKs” thinks it’s pretty silly.

Who’s put hands on one yet?

I played with a couple of prototypes when I was at HQ.

I readily admitted I'm not the target market. But they're serious about reinvigorating the product line. A tiny suppressed dotted .32 ACP is somebody's flavor.

The core improvements to the pistol...new magazine release, more capacity (if you want that), ergonomic improvements, better sights...will make it a better gun for people who are using this type of gun. The new trigger is certainly nice.

CraigS
01-22-2024, 09:33 AM
To me making improvements to the basic gun is fine. But hanging all that crap on it is crazy. To me the main advantage of the pistols is they are so small you can carry one in a large shirt pocket. And it disappears in a pants pocket. To each his own I guess.

TCinVA
01-22-2024, 09:45 AM
I'll remind folks that people bought the heck out of the threaded .22 Bobcat. Giving the .32 some of the same treatment isn't out of line.

Bigghoss
01-22-2024, 09:58 AM
I Probably won't buy one but it's pretty neat. The bugout/prepper thing was super cringe but besides that a tiny .32 with a dot and surpressor is probably a whole lot of fun to shoot even if it is impractical.

RevolverRob
01-22-2024, 10:35 AM
I want to be clear - a dot on a Tomcat and Bobcat is perfectly fine. We just got the Langdon thing and those of us who like this guns, like the idea.

I actually like the idea of all of this. Even though it seems a bit silly in terms of marketing.

That said - does this update come with significant internal updates and strengthening of the Tomcat or is it still merely a 1000-round and then paperweight gun?

Notorious E.O.C.
01-22-2024, 12:00 PM
I'm confused. I thought this was for James Bond LARPing. If it's now for preppers, where's the version with lime green Cerakote and blaze orange biohazard-symbol grips, shipped in a matching Nalgene bottle/open carry concealment holster with some fishing line and hooks, three strike-anywhere matches, a survival blanket, and a Chinese copy of the cheapest multitool in Gerber's lineup?

Glenn E. Meyer
01-22-2024, 12:02 PM
It's a great spy movie pistol! Got enough pocket guns though.

TCinVA
01-22-2024, 12:21 PM
I want to be clear - a dot on a Tomcat and Bobcat is perfectly fine. We just got the Langdon thing and those of us who like this guns, like the idea.

I actually like the idea of all of this. Even though it seems a bit silly in terms of marketing.

That said - does this update come with significant internal updates and strengthening of the Tomcat or is it still merely a 1000-round and then paperweight gun?

The core pistol has undergone significant revision and redesign. Durability is supposed to be vastly increased. Better sights. Better trigger. The magazine release is no longer toward the butt of the gun. It felt slimmer in the hand than the older model, but I suspect that was mainly the stocks.

JRB
01-22-2024, 12:29 PM
Honestly, I thought all the Zombie-themed stuff was ridiculous at the time, but looking back at the state of things then, I find myself feeling nostalgic. It was a fun time to be an enthusiast when 90% of our bothers were so simple as cringey green paint and logos on gun stuff.

That all said, I love this 30X stuff, baby suppressors and brakes and dots and all. I hope it finds its way to the big screen - it's perfect for the femme fatale in a Bond+Blade Runner+Altered Carbon sort of dystopian spy movie. Depending on pricing, I can definitely see myself buying one.

cathellsk
01-22-2024, 12:46 PM
Where's the new .22LR versions? Would it be the 20X?

TicTacticalTimmy
01-22-2024, 01:01 PM
This looks excellent. Its great to see a 500 year old company that can listen to feedback from its customers in a way so many gun companies seem incapable of.

The complaints I heard about the Tomcats were:
-terrible sights: fixed
-weird mag release: fixed
-poor durability: fixed
-weight/bulk compared to other .32s or firepower compared to similar sized guns: not fixed, likely nothing they can really do there.

It may not be the most practical gun, but I have a lot of practical guns. The rep made the comment "this is the only true pocket pistol that is actually fun to shoot." I could definitely see that being true. Fun to own and play with too. Also a pretty cool old man/little lady gun.

RevolverRob
01-22-2024, 01:31 PM
The core pistol has undergone significant revision and redesign. Durability is supposed to be vastly increased. Better sights. Better trigger. The magazine release is no longer toward the butt of the gun. It felt slimmer in the hand than the older model, but I suspect that was mainly the stocks.

This is all excellent. That could make the new Tomcat just about the perfect PCP gun...

Ben_G
01-22-2024, 02:38 PM
So my understanding is the prepper thing was so that we could actually build some sort of directed campaign and material around the gun that wasn't "come on, this thing is just cool and stupid and fun, and this is America so what else matters?" since that's off brand for us.

Practically, that was what our internal sentiment is on the 30X as evidenced by the race gun prototype as well as the ones set up with a can and a dot.

That gun has been completely overhauled for the new model, and it actually surprised us how fun it was to shoot now. There should be footage on Instagram (I know our sponsored shooters have stuff in their stories) of folks blazing away on the steel challenge at range day with them, and it's just hilarious to watch. On the main demo bay they all got a fairly high round counts with people reaching for extra mags to shoot, which we didn't see much of on the old gun.

BillSWPA
01-22-2024, 03:16 PM
So my understanding is the prepper thing was so that we could actually build some sort of directed campaign and material around the gun that wasn't "come on, this thing is just cool and stupid and fun, and this is America so what else matters?" since that's off brand for us.

Practically, that was what our internal sentiment is on the 30X as evidenced by the race gun prototype as well as the ones set up with a can and a dot.

That gun has been completely overhauled for the new model, and it actually surprised us how fun it was to shoot now. There should be footage on Instagram (I know our sponsored shooters have stuff in their stories) of folks blazing away on the steel challenge at range day with them, and it's just hilarious to watch. On the main demo bay they all got a fairly high round counts with people reaching for extra mags to shoot, which we didn't see much of on the old gun.

If you need an ad campaign based on something practical (which I doubt you do), why not base it on a concealed carry gun for someone who:

1. Wants a tip-up barrel.
2. Wants a DA first shot for safety and SA followup shots for ease of shooting.
3. Has some sensory issues making them extra-sensitive to noise, and wants something with a suppressor which is actually concealable?

Ben_G
01-22-2024, 03:28 PM
This isn't exactly my department, but I believe the current thinking is that we would rather spend CCW marketing airtime and focus on platforms with broader appeal to the current US market standards for conceal carry. While the Tomcat is very easy to hide, and there are certain user niches it supports very well, it doesn't work on the macro level. When you take that messaging up to the brand level of "X is the gun that Beretta advertises for concealed carry", a single stack .32acp blowback is not the move.

That's more broadly the domain of something like the 80X Cheetah, APX Compact or the PX4 Compact Carry 2.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Are you trying to make me buy one? Bad Bill! So far my hands have stood up to shooting. My knees , different story, making the track meet irrelevant to me. I'd have to see one however, the property tax bill arrived today, so it might have to wait.

Dr_Thanatos
01-22-2024, 04:48 PM
Thanks for providing your insight here! The behind the scenes from a company as repected as Beretta is very cool

PX4 Compact Carry 2.

Oh, Really??!?!?

Any details?

PTSDog
01-22-2024, 06:46 PM
I am glad Beretta gave the thought and actually made improvements to their pocket pistols. I will buy two! Just not the threaded versions , as I’m sure non threaded versions will be offered. Only con is the right handed friendly only safety. I don’t think it’s needed on such a pistol.

Between these and the full sized PX4 upgrades, Bereeta is getting some of my divorce settlement money! Ah hell. they are getting a lot of it! Oh and the 92G-TS, got to grab one of those too.

Jerry

alohadoug
01-22-2024, 06:55 PM
Please let the base model be submitted for Mass Compliance

RevolverRob
01-22-2024, 09:11 PM
BTW I showed these to Mrs. RR and before I could even mention the marketing thing she said, "Those things are absurd. I assume you intend to buy several of them."

So yea...I think you guys could have gone with the 1980s Porsche-style marketing campaign, "Because we could...so we did."

Grouse870
01-22-2024, 10:29 PM
I want one in .22. Hopefully that’s next

Polecat
01-23-2024, 12:13 AM
This is just ridiculous. How about improving the PICO with 8-10 rounds of .32. That is a worthwhile endeavor.

Hambo
01-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Even if they last more than 500-1K rounds, I'm not interested. I would have thought the 80X would be a better choice for comp/not, .32 or .380, but I don't think like marketing people do.

RevolverRob
01-23-2024, 01:06 PM
Even if they last more than 500-1K rounds, I'm not interested. I would have thought the 80X would be a better choice for comp/not, .32 or .380, but I don't think like marketing people do.

So, because of '68 GCA - The Tomcat and Bobcat are built in the US-of-A. I suspect that means, like the A300UP - these are driven primarily by the USA-side of the casa with the 30X design team being here in the USA. The 80X design team is in Italy.

Basically, this is the 'Murican gun and the 80X is the Eye-Talian and the situation is that if you want to do something like this with the 80X you have to convince the Italian team. Versus over here...you just kind of convince the Tennessee Hillbillies (meant with the kindest connotation towards our resident Beretta Hillbilly Ben_G).

LockedBreech
01-23-2024, 04:33 PM
It's silly, but fun. That has a place in the shooting world.

What I'd like much, much more though is an updated PX4. I hear the new one has an optics cut, which is great, but I'd like to see a more textured grip option without needing to stipple or use a sleeve. The texture on the APX is great and proves the need is at least understood.

revolvergeek
01-23-2024, 05:19 PM
I am curious to see how much thinner it is. I had a Tomcat for a little while and it was pleasant enough to shoot but was really thick.

This is just ridiculous. How about improving the PICO with 8-10 rounds of .32. That is a worthwhile endeavor.

That would be interesting. Something like a more solid Keltec P32 with good sights right out of the box, and no worries about the magazine release accidentally getting bumped. Did Beretta ever actually release a .32 acp kit for them?

Borderland
01-23-2024, 05:41 PM
I'm not one to judge but these are just silly and a lot of fun. I don't have one but after shooting the one my neighbor has, I put a dot on my MKII.

https://i.ibb.co/rHgSqSN/736676439461.jpg (https://ibb.co/GRXLGLN)
upload your pics (https://imgbb.com/)

Make it a .22 and people will line up to buy them. Looks like Berretta took some cues from Ruger.

BillSWPA
01-23-2024, 05:57 PM
I'm not one to judge but these are just silly and a lot of fun. I don't have one but after shooting the one my neighbor has, I put a dot on my MKII.

https://i.ibb.co/rHgSqSN/736676439461.jpg (https://ibb.co/GRXLGLN)
upload your pics (https://imgbb.com/)

Make it a .22 and people will line up to buy them. Looks like Berretta took some cues from Ruger.

I am thinking very seriously about one of these in an attempt to isolate skill sets while teaching my special needs son (and possibly others) how to aim and shoot a pistol.

Borderland
01-23-2024, 06:09 PM
I am thinking very seriously about one of these in an attempt to isolate skill sets while teaching my special needs son (and possibly others) how to aim and shoot a pistol.

Made for new shooters. Absolutly Perfect.

Redneck Zen
01-24-2024, 10:02 PM
I kinda like the fun/novelty appeal here--guns can be fun, right?--but I'd be more impressed if Beretta fixed the all too easily broken firing pin problem of these little guns. I've gone through two on my li'l .22s and keep a couple of spares for when they break.

The Beretta rep in the TFBTV interview did suggest that they've improved the trigger pull, so there's that.

I'd gladly give up the red dot option for a stronger, better built firearm.

Ben_G
01-28-2024, 01:46 PM
So, because of '68 GCA - The Tomcat and Bobcat are built in the US-of-A. I suspect that means, like the A300UP - these are driven primarily by the USA-side of the casa with the 30X design team being here in the USA. The 80X design team is in Italy.

Basically, this is the 'Murican gun and the 80X is the Eye-Talian and the situation is that if you want to do something like this with the 80X you have to convince the Italian team. Versus over here...you just kind of convince the Tennessee Hillbillies (meant with the kindest connotation towards our resident Beretta Hillbilly Ben_G).

More or less correct. Though point in fact, while I live in Nashville now, I'm a NYC yankee haha. Also, our Italian friends are starting to see the benefits of embracing the cool factor and leaning into being a bit ridiculous. Remember, these are the same people who turned a tractor company into one of the wildest supercar companies in the world. We just have a shorter pipeline for crazy idea to market on this one.

My threaded barrels for the 80X have been on order for months and are due in shortly, and I do have an order for some 80X comps being reviewed for order this month. Both those initially proposed conceptually by the Italians a year plus ago. They take time to move these through with available resources, but the Italian team is right there with us on this fun new chapter.

Hambo
01-29-2024, 05:21 AM
More or less correct. Though point in fact, while I live in Nashville now, I'm a NYC yankee haha. Also, our Italian friends are starting to see the benefits of embracing the cool factor and leaning into being a bit ridiculous. Remember, these are the same people who turned a tractor company into one of the wildest supercar companies in the world. We just have a shorter pipeline for crazy idea to market on this one.

My threaded barrels for the 80X have been on order for months and are due in shortly, and I do have an order for some 80X comps being reviewed for order this month. Both those initially proposed conceptually by the Italians a year plus ago. They take time to move these through with available resources, but the Italian team is right there with us on this fun new chapter.

I like the 80X, but I'd love a comped 80X.