PDA

View Full Version : Magpul AMAG

zaitcev
01-15-2024, 04:26 PM
https://magpul.com/amag-17-sg9-sig-p320-m17.html

Magpul introduces a metal magazine for P320 or M17.

Here's a funny part: their Twitter says (https://twitter.com/Magpul/status/1746948423041835378) "where there simply isn't room for polymer". Meanwhile, I have 2 ETS P320 magazines. Now, certainly, ETS mags for P320 have issues, but they mostly have to do with ETS skimping on design and manufacturing, not with the polymer as such. Simply using a better sculpture of the follower would make them perfectly acceptable for me (mind, I'm not a cop).

It's disappointing that Magpul didn't use their expertise to improve ETS magazines instead of this. Also, their marketing is dumb. And their price is too high. I bought those ETS magazines for $18 apiece. But who am I kidding, of course I'll buy those AMAGs when I see them. I need them for testing.

JSGlock34
01-15-2024, 04:36 PM
Maybe they have their eye on future military contracts.

Tensaw
01-15-2024, 05:23 PM

Here's a funny part: their Twitter says (https://twitter.com/Magpul/status/1746948423041835378) "where there simply isn't room for polymer". Meanwhile, I have 2 ETS P320 magazines. Now, certainly, ETS mags for P320 have issues, but they mostly have to do with ETS skimping on design and manufacturing, not with the polymer as such. Simply using a better sculpture of the follower would make them perfectly acceptable for me (mind, I'm not a cop).

It's disappointing that Magpul didn't use their expertise to improve ETS magazines instead of this. Also, their marketing is dumb. And their price is too high. I bought those ETS magazines for $18 apiece. But who am I kidding, of course I'll buy those AMAGs when I see them. I need them for testing.

I have to imagine that Magpie made a run at producing a polymer mag and just could not make one perform to their standards. Other thing, I don't think they are competing against ETS on price; they are competing against OEM mag pricing. :D

I'll be interested to see how all this shakes out down the road; especially with the new T-Mag. I will not be early adopting these, however. BTDT - Nope!

vandal
01-15-2024, 05:27 PM
Next they should make some P365/XL/Macro mags that don't rust.

zaitcev
01-15-2024, 05:35 PM
Maybe they have their eye on future military contracts.

I don't think that is likely, and least with the U.S. Army. The biggest reason why SIG won (aside from over Glock, who wasn't even modular) was their ability to supply the whole package: guns, spares, magazines, and even ammunition. The Army didn't buy a gun, they bought a weapons system, and they clearly want one vendor be responsible for the whole instance. Unless Mecgar can worm into SIG's good graces and become their subcontractor (an American Mec-Gar so to speak), it's not going to happen, I think.

It may be possible with other armies of the world though.

zaitcev
01-15-2024, 05:36 PM
Mine are so dirty with soot that they don't rust ;)

Super77
01-15-2024, 05:53 PM
I don’t hate the idea, but they need to point out what these do better than OEM mags. Especially after burning memwith their Glock mags.

Noah
01-15-2024, 06:15 PM
But do their Glock mags work yet?

Tokarev
01-15-2024, 06:19 PM
Nice. Just in time for the Oracle 2311.

HCM
01-15-2024, 06:20 PM

ETS mags suck.

Magpul moving into metal mags also opens up other possibilities. Mags for other platforms, a metal lined Glock Pmag….

Tokarev
01-15-2024, 06:23 PM
Actually I'd like to see Magpul make some Staccato 2011 base plates. I imagine those would sell okay.

HCM
01-15-2024, 06:24 PM
I don’t hate the idea, but they need to point out what these do better than OEM mags. Especially after burning memwith their Glock mags.

Every all polymer Glock mag, including the original Glock factory mags suck.

Why do you think Glock went to metal lined mags and everyone, including HK went back to metal mags for polymer pistols ?

Now that Magpul is making an all metal mag there is at least the possibility of a metal lined Glock Pmag.

G19Fan
01-15-2024, 06:49 PM

Just about to come say this

Nephrology
01-15-2024, 06:50 PM
ETS mags suck.

Magpul moving into metal mags also opens up other possibilities. Mags for other platforms, a metal lined Glock Pmag….

I'd take a Glock pmag made of Twizzlers as long as they worked better than the ones they're selling now

Caballoflaco
01-15-2024, 06:56 PM
I'd take a Glock pmag made of Twizzlersas long as they worked better than the ones they're selling now

https://youtu.be/zA80i9QaN7A?si=lE85PHZp-x_vsxf4

JSGlock34
01-15-2024, 07:17 PM
I don't think that is likely, and least with the U.S. Army. The biggest reason why SIG won (aside from over Glock, who wasn't even modular) was their ability to supply the whole package: guns, spares, magazines, and even ammunition. The Army didn't buy a gun, they bought a weapons system, and they clearly want one vendor be responsible for the whole instance. Unless Mecgar can worm into SIG's good graces and become their subcontractor (an American Mec-Gar so to speak), it's not going to happen, I think.

I agree, not likely anytime soon, but pretty sure SIG has already subcontracted out 'OEM' 320 magazine manufacture to Checkmate, Mec-Gar, and at least one other US manufacturer. And PMAGs are all over the US military...

MandoWookie
01-15-2024, 09:08 PM

That was just a strategy by the Army to limit the number of contestants, because the list of companies that could fulfill those 'one stop shop' requirements was single digits.

Now that the guns are in service, all the peripherals are gonna be up for renegotiation.
I mean the XM7 contract also required the applicants to supply a whole package, including optics, but the final optic chosen wasn't a Sig scope.

TOTS
01-17-2024, 06:31 AM
Or some completely flush fitting Macro mags.

theJanitor
01-17-2024, 11:38 AM
Rumor is the USA made 320 mags have cracking spines and bendy feed lips. The mags that came with my mine were italian

Bernomad
01-17-2024, 08:03 PM
If they work reliably a 35.00 option wouldn’t be so bad.

RealSelf
01-17-2024, 08:42 PM

They stick out like a sore thumb with the high polish stainless exterior, lol. Does that count as a feature?

Seriously I cannot fathom using this finish on the body of the mag when it is going to be both highly visible and reflective with the magazine in the pistol and on a belt mag pouch. Seems to run counter to the whole design of the pistol being full FDE for the military, maybe for a competition shooter it's perfect and perhaps that is the market niche.

HCM
01-17-2024, 09:22 PM
Rumor is the USA made 320 mags have cracking spines and bendy feed lips. The mags that came with my mine were italian

In addition to Mecgar, SIG has used two U.S. manufacturers for P320 mags a prior, unidentified one whose mags were marked with a “J” , and Checkmate marked with a “C.”

At a SIG LE armorers course in 2019 we were advised to ensure only “made in Italy” mags were used for duty.

Around the time I stopped seeing “J” marked mags I also stopped seeing issues with “made in USA” 320 mags.

However, I subsequently obtained 6 Checkmate made Legion 320 mags which have been my primary training mags. One grew legs but the 5 remaining checkmate mags have been 100% through about 20k rounds.

Checkmate has been making the 365 mags but SIG also started making 365 mags in house after they tooled up to make their own mags for the new 6.8 service rifle.

destruya
01-20-2024, 08:05 PM
I just bought two from Scheel's today as a test, but I'm not picking up any more until I've range-tested them with a few hundred rounds. It wouldn't surprise me if down the line they don't start selling a five-round extension or a 21- or 30-rounder to compete with Sig "OEM" directly. I still feel goddamned silly running 30-rounders on even my full-size P320 but I've got two of them in the Plano box under my bed.

If they're good, I'll wait until Lanbo's gets them in for way cheaper than MSRP since they're my go-to for anything with Magpul on the box.

pangloss
01-21-2024, 09:49 PM
My big question about Magpul making metal mags is if they are going to make a metal G43x/G48 mag to compete with Shield Arms.

HCM
01-21-2024, 10:57 PM
I just bought two from Scheel's today as a test, but I'm not picking up any more until I've range-tested them with a few hundred rounds. It wouldn't surprise me if down the line they don't start selling a five-round extension or a 21- or 30-rounder to compete with Sig "OEM" directly. I still feel goddamned silly running 30-rounders on even my full-size P320 but I've got two of them in the Plano box under my bed.

If they're good, I'll wait until Lanbo's gets them in for way cheaper than MSRP since they're my go-to for anything with Magpul on the box.

A shooting buddy bought 2 to try as well.

TLDR all existing 320 extensions and base plates appear to be compatible. At least his from Springer Precision and Henning do.

HCM
01-21-2024, 10:59 PM
My big question about Magpul making metal mags is if they are going to make a metal G43x/G48 mag to compete with Shield Arms.

PSA already seems to be beating Shield at their own game.

P365 variants are the next likely target based on the number of 365 series in circulation.

HCM
01-21-2024, 11:01 PM
They stick out like a sore thumb with the high polish stainless exterior, lol. Does that count as a feature?

Seriously I cannot fathom using this finish on the body of the mag when it is going to be both highly visible and reflective with the magazine in the pistol and on a belt mag pouch. Seems to run counter to the whole design of the pistol being full FDE for the military, maybe for a competition shooter it's perfect and perhaps that is the market niche.

Outside actual military use this is not a real concern. Even then you could always hit them with some NuBlack.

For most people corrosion resistance > the 5 S’s of effective camo.

destruya
01-24-2024, 04:30 PM
A shooting buddy bought 2 to try as well.

TLDR all existing 320 extensions and base plates appear to be compatible. At least his from Springer Precision and Henning do.

Well, they certainly replicated one thing from the OEM mags - it's still a royal bitch to get that last round seated on a new mag/spring.

One was more stubborn about it than the other.

Tokarev
01-25-2024, 12:51 PM
Jump to about 2:50 for AMAG info

https://youtu.be/h7wpFbyD-YI?si=n5zapWAvG4nvSn7f

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

zaitcev
01-25-2024, 11:42 PM
I have an AMAG in hand and now I am a little mad.

Did you guys watch the interview of AR15.COM with the Magpul rep at SHOT 2024 (linked in the previous post)? He said that they reduced bias. Yes, they reduced it all right - by making the magazine extra fat. Thanks a lot, guys!

(J) 21.6 mm .. 21.8 mm
Mec-Gar 17rd 21.6 .. 21.7 mm
Mec-Gar 30 rd 21.6 .. 21.8 mm -- that is pretty bad magazine otherwise BTW, uncharacteristic of Mec-Gar
Mec-Gar 20 rd 21.6 mm
ACT-MAG 21.6 mm
ETS 22.04 (top) 21.94 (down column)
AMAG 21.78 (top) 21.87 (down column)

Welp. I suffer from the damn bias in Ruger and it's a problem, so I was going to slim the adapter magwells back down, and ban users from using ETS. I guess it's a good thing that I procrastinated, because AMAGs would not fit otherwise.

The notch of AMAG is not extra wide, only 4.65. Thanks for that. But they could not resist to make it insufficiently extend to the rear. Do these people know how to use calipers?

The follower works okay and that's at least something good about AMAG.

BTW, unrelated to dimensions, they clearly tried to make stamping with as large radii as possible. The ribs are weakly defined and the rear corners are heavily rounded. Not like it matters, but a curiously independent thinking. All of other makers, including ACT, follow the exact same sculpture.

zaitcev
01-26-2024, 05:26 PM
I suffer from the damn bias in Ruger and it's a problem, so I was going to slim the adapter magwells back down, and ban users from using ETS. I guess it's a good thing that I procrastinated, because AMAGs would not fit otherwise.

I went and added little strips that can be shaved level in post-processing, using an AMAG as a template. Like I have nothing else to do.

We've not been to the range yet, but AMAG looks quite nice. The problem is, I cannot change designs for the benefit of Magpul at the expense of standard P320 mags.

destruya
02-01-2024, 11:56 PM
Lanbo's finally got these in for $26.04 apiece and eligible for their flat-rate shipping: https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=78176

"facebook" (w/o the quotation marks) should still be valid for $5 off $100 on *new accounts only*.

ST911
02-03-2024, 08:36 AM
Got some AMAGs. All feel full at 16th round, 17th round seats hard. Full mags still seat under closed side but need much firmer press. I'll try in additional guns to see if it varies any by receiver. I've loaded and left them sit, will shoot and work them and see if it improves. If consistent, these will only be 16rd mags for many people.

MVS
02-10-2024, 09:43 AM
Got some AMAGs. All feel full at 16th round, 17th round seats hard. Full mags still seat under closed side but need much firmer press. I'll try in additional guns to see if it varies any by receiver. I've loaded and left them sit, will shoot and work them and see if it improves. If consistent, these will only be 16rd mags for many people.

I typically only load 15 or 20 for practice anyway.

MVS
02-22-2024, 05:41 PM
I picked up a couple from Scheels. Don't have a ton of rounds through them yet but so far, so good.

msstate56
02-26-2024, 08:21 PM
Actually I'd like to see Magpul make some Staccato 2011 base plates. I imagine those would sell okay.

Let’s go back to this. I’d love a 2011 baseplate that doesn’t dent every time I dump it on concrete. (We train a lot on an all concrete range).

Tokarev
02-27-2024, 01:13 PM
LetÂ’s go back to this. IÂ’d love a 2011 baseplate that doesnÂ’t dent every time I dump it on concrete. (We train a lot on an all concrete range).

It might be fairly small in the Big Picture but I'd say there's a market here. Base plates made of Magpul plastic that can take some abuse that are priced at something like $18 for a pack of three would probably do okay. Magpul could do an L Plate version with a rubber bumper too.

Plastic 2011 mags themselves might be interesting too. Being that the 2011 mag is bigger than it needs to be for 9 mm I'd guess Magpul could use some thick material and size it internally for a cartridge that's 1.169" OAL. These at $25 would also be a good seller I'd guess. There may be issues with the steel mag latch chipping away the plastic over time. Would anyone care at this price?

ST911
04-10-2024, 08:06 AM
I now have at least a couple hundred rounds on each of my mags. Reliable with no functional issues and they're surviving drops on concrete and some normal abuse. I thought a few might be softening up a bit for that 17th round but they're about the same. Handed off to people with less hand strength and dexterity, almost none of them get the 17th round. Using loaders of various types can work but with additional effort. If the 17th round is in they still seat hard under closed (MHS) slides. Reliable mags, but these are 16 rounders.

Currently finding them in the $24-28 range with competitor price matches, which is a nice option for these guns.

HCM
04-10-2024, 11:05 AM
Have a few hundred rounds through my example- no issues.

The AMAG baseplate will work in the factory magwell for the AXG (aluminum) grip, but not in the standard factory magwell for the X style grip.

Plan on getting a few more.

MDFA
04-10-2024, 01:44 PM
I have 6 of them. So far they work great. As others have said the 17th round is a bitch to load.