PDA

View Full Version : EDC Light Carry

NH Shooter
01-01-2024, 12:35 PM
Four Methods of EDC Flashlight Carry (https://edclightbuilder.com/__version-1/four-methods-of-edc-flashlight-carry/) is the latest installment of instructional articles (https://edclightbuilder.com/articles/) I've posted on the EDCLB.com website. Those who regularly EDC a flashlight no doubt have their preferred means of carry, but for those who don't this article is intended to give insight into useful methods.

Thanks for taking a look, and please feel free to share your comments below!

camsdaddy
01-01-2024, 01:27 PM
I used to carry with a pocket clip until my clip broke. Since then I'm A drop in pocket guy. I like the idea of a separate EDC thread for flashlights.

Clusterfrack
01-01-2024, 01:30 PM
I’m a clip user. It’s the best for a wide range of pants I wear, unless there’s a dedicated light pocket.

My solution is to use solid clips that won’t break, which is a challenge because virtually all clips suck.

Malkoff is a notable exception.

Knife clips work. Why can’t flashlight clips be like that?

Tackleberry40sw
01-01-2024, 02:17 PM
I’m a clip user. It’s the best for a wide range of pants I wear, unless there’s a dedicated light pocket.

My solution is to use solid clips that won’t break, which is a challenge because virtually all clips suck.

Malkoff is a notable exception.

Knife clips work. Why can’t flashlight clips be like that?

The deep pocket clip on NH Shooters tail cap works well with the floating rubber finger ring but I also like the Thyrm Switchback 2.0. Both are solid options.

Clusterfrack
01-01-2024, 02:35 PM
The deep pocket clip on NH Shooters tail cap works well with the floating rubber finger ring but I also like the Thyrm Switchback 2.0. Both are solid options.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240101/e044a6cae0350472e4ac4f02972e8cab.jpg

Double EDCLB clip bonded with JB Weld resists bending.

ECK
01-01-2024, 02:40 PM
I picked up a Streamlight Wedge off a prize-table last spring and have been carrying it since then. I like it. It’s flat like a highlighter pen and not round so fits in my back pocket better and has a clip. Before that I carried a Fenix that took 2 AAs since I’m too cheap to buy 123’s for EDC. I keep those by the bed side.

I much prefer a small EDC light over a WML for every day mundane tasks that you need a light (like trying to find the small battery compartment screw on a HS that you dropped into shag carpet).

Outpost75
01-03-2024, 09:32 PM
I avoid pocket clips on flashlights because they can be mistaken for a knife or other weapon. I normally carry a minimalist single AAA Maratec LED light on my keyring which is attached to a belt loop with a snap link and either the light or small pocket knife can readily be removed from the keyring for use, where both are attached via smaller snap links. Not my only light, a Petzal LED head lamp is kept in my GHB.

centex
01-03-2024, 10:29 PM
My primary EDC light for the past 12 months has been a Streamlight Protac 1L-AA with a CR123 battery. I keep it in the "high output" only mode. I'd prefer to run something along the lines of a Z26 Lanyard Loop & Retention Accessory, but the body is only 0.85" so I don't see it fitting. As a compromise, I've kept the clip and threaded and O ring onto it so I can grab it easily out of a pocket with my left index finger. The form factor of the 1L-AA is exactly what I want, which has kept me from going up to something with a 1" body. I have a 2L-X and it feels huge by comparison when in my pocket.

Dennis
01-04-2024, 01:05 AM
I make my own Kydex so I can accommodate any light/mag combo. It's been decades now and I can unholster/reholster from concealment without thinking.

Around the house or when forced to be holster-less, I carry offside front pocket clip.

Dennis.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240104/c0e5d7ece1b437c6bd1589c5892dc76a.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

NH Shooter
01-04-2024, 05:03 AM
I'd prefer to run something along the lines of a Z26 Lanyard Loop & Retention Accessory, but the body is only 0.85" so I don't see it fitting.

Attach retention accessory to light with an O-ring. It absolutely works, and better than expected!

https://i.ibb.co/4fB7yQP/vid6-11.jpg

NH Shooter
01-04-2024, 05:08 AM
I avoid pocket clips on flashlights because they can be mistaken for a knife or other weapon.

That has been my experience as well.

One time my wife and I were at our favorite local restaurant, I was carrying a light via a pocket clip and the guy at the next table kept looking at the clip. There's no doubt in my mind that the use of pocket clips can attract attention.

Doc_Glock
01-04-2024, 09:04 AM
Always in the non dominant pocket next to the Swiss Army Knife. I used to clip, but much prefer in pocket after broken clips, scratches to cars, etc from clips, lost lights due to broken clips, and damage to clothing from clips. I don’t even clip folders any more. I just drop it in the pocket and rarely have issues with access unless seated.

MGW
01-04-2024, 06:16 PM
I picked up a Streamlight Wedge off a prize-table last spring and have been carrying it since then. I like it. It’s flat like a highlighter pen and not round so fits in my back pocket better and has a clip. Before that I carried a Fenix that took 2 AAs since I’m too cheap to buy 123’s for EDC. I keep those by the bed side.

I much prefer a small EDC light over a WML for every day mundane tasks that you need a light (like trying to find the small battery compartment screw on a HS that you dropped into shag carpet).

I’m tempted to pick up a Wedge. They’re on sale at Amazon. I’m not sure how I feel about a rechargeable light though.

Clusterfrack
01-04-2024, 06:18 PM
That has been my experience as well.

One time my wife and I were at our favorite local restaurant, I was carrying a light via a pocket clip and the guy at the next table kept looking at the clip. There's no doubt in my mind that the use of pocket clips can attract attention.

Out here in the wild west, a pocket clip or two is no big deal in any venue.

ECK
01-04-2024, 08:35 PM
I’m tempted to pick up a Wedge. They’re on sale at Amazon. I’m not sure how I feel about a rechargeable light though.

I kinda like the charging capability. It takes a USB-C cable. Easy enough to charge side-by-side with your phone at home or in a vehicle. About the only time it’d be a PITA if you go off-grid for a few days but that’s where a battery operated light could come into play.

Clusterfrack
01-04-2024, 08:48 PM
After leaking high quality alkaline batteries ruined three AAA and AA lights, and a friend’s Garmin GPS, I’m done with alkalines. I’ll stick with rechargeables, 123s, or lithium AA.

Andy in NH
01-04-2024, 09:12 PM
Surefire Stiletto using the DIP Method.

NH Shooter
01-05-2024, 10:26 AM
Great discussion, my thanks to all participating!

Here are the two lights I have been carrying for quite a while. This combination works well for me;

https://i.ibb.co/RpqZJWk/edclights-1.jpg

On the left is my dedicated "fight light" that is carried in an EDCLB HBC (https://www.edclightbuilder.com/store/HBC-Horizontal-Belt-Carrier-p571469803) at about the 9:30 position. It's reserved strictly for self defense purposes using a syringe grip, and the Rogers-Surefire Technique (https://surefire.news/surefire-combatlight-the-solution-to-a-handheld-with-a-handgun/) if used with the pistol.

Key features of this light;

The Modlite Legacy Enhanced LED-F Light Head (https://modlite.com/products/merge-legacy-enhanced-led-f-light-head?variant=40748820299812) produces 850 lumen with 44,000 candela. I was formerly using the Malkoff E2XTD which produces 650 lumen with 70,000 candela, but I have come to prefer the ML head due to it's brighter spill and overall beam pattern. The E2TXD is no longer made, whch is truly a shame as it remains a top choice for a fight light application.

Momentary only using the LF Z14/Z31 Tailcap (https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/product_detail.php?pid=579) which features a simple, robust design with great feel.

The ergonomics of the light are optimized for the syringe grip using an Oveready E35 (https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/e-18350-body-e35-ha-black/) body and a Malkoff Delrin grip ring (https://malkoffdevices.com/products/malkoff-devices-md-body-extender-kit).
Powered with an IMR 18350 Li-ion cell.

This light has the candela to reach way out and overcome photonic barriers, while providing a bright cone of spill. When used with a syringe grip/R-S Technique, I think it's as good as it gets.

The light on the right is the Surefire E2T-MV Tactician (https://www.surefire.com/e2t-maxvision-tactician/) with the EDCLB Upgrades (https://www.edclightbuilder.com/surefire-e2t-mv-tactcian-upgrades/). It's carried in the right side front pocket using the DIP method.

Rated at 800 lumen and 3,200 candela, it's "Maxvision" beam is a wide flood pattern. It uses a bezel switch for high/low operation: maximum output is achieved with the bezel tight, with the bezel backed off a quarter turn the light produces 5 lumen. I leave the bezel set at low output, which in combination with the wide, smooth beam I find extraordinarily useful for up-close use, and for indoors at night with my vision adjusted to the dark. With the EDCLB GRK (https://www.edclightbuilder.com/store/Grip-Ring-Kit-p536573829) installed, I can use the same grip as the fight light, and find it works perfectly with the R-F Technique as well. Powered with a 16650 Li-ion protected cell, this light will run for days on low and for about two hours on hiigh.

This is a key attribute for me: both lights can be handled and operated in exactly the same manner.

In use these two lights compliment each other quite nicely. They cover all of my everyday lighting needs, have almost identical user interfaces and handling qualities, and offer reliable, fuss-free operation.

Guerrero
01-05-2024, 10:54 AM
Maybe I'm weird: for an EDC light, I want two modes, low and high, with "low" being approximately "I need to find my pants in the dark without waking my wife," and "high" being, "OH MY GOD MY EYES". The issue I have is that I have found that I need to be able to switch between modes using only one hand. Every time I have needed more light, it just so happens I have had a dog leash, a bag of groceries, a small child's hand, something else in my other hand, and I need more light right f-ing now!

Having to futz with a bezel or a twisty or something like that isn't going to cut it.

About the only thing that I have found that does this without costing a bunch is some variation of the Streamlight ProTac, programmed to low/high mode (I carry a 1L-1AA), where I can just double-click the tailcap.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-05-2024, 10:58 AM

Note that I smoothed the crenelated crown as the squared edges ate pants pocket. I think that edges have minimal usage as some kind of making small cuts as an impact weapon. I've read that such edges also have caused TSA agents to forbid a light - I dunno if this is true. It's a convenient size, one CR123, fits well into the front lower pocket of my Duluth, zillion pockets ED pants.

ECK
01-05-2024, 11:13 AM
Maybe I'm weird: for an EDC light, I want two modes, low and high, with "low" being approximately "I need to find my pants in the dark without waking my wife," and "high" being, "OH MY GOD MY EYES". The issue I have is that I have found that I need to be able to switch between modes using only one hand. Every time I have needed more light, it just so happens I have had a dog leash, a bag of groceries, a small child's hand, something else in my other hand, and I need more light right f-ing now!

Having to futz with a bezel or a twisty or something like that isn't going to cut it.

Not weird. I’m the same way. 90% of the time I use the light is for mundane purposes -i.e. taking the dogs out at night, but every now and then I want it to go to 11.

Check out the Streamlight Wedge. It has a little switch that you rock forward into ON and is in low output mode (300 lumens). Rock it forward and it goes to high mode (1,000 lumens). You have to keep pressure on the rocker switch for it to be on high, otherwise it is spring loaded to go back to low mode.

It’s not your traditional tactical light with the tail-cap switch, nor does is look like one. Which in of itself can be handy.

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/wedge

Glenn E. Meyer
01-05-2024, 12:03 PM
My wife has commented that flashlight collections are analogous to her shoe collection. She does have a point. A box arrives and she says - more flashlights?

One might clarify EDC with a branch to every day, lounging around the house carry. While significant Surefires are scattered in several locations, in the lounging gear we find, either a

Streamlight 66318 MicroStream 45-Lumen Everyday Carry Pocket Flashlight with AAA Alkaline Battery

or

Fenix E12 v2.0 EDC Flashlight, 160 Lumen with 1x AA Battery

They go along with a pocket gun and a small Sypderco. The gun has not be used. The knife attacks Amazon boxes. The light looks for things that fall, examining tiny print that old eyes can't see well, when the power fails and I fight my way to the emergency lanterns (one in each room!).

One real deal Surefire is next to the box with the SD home big ol' Glock.

NH Shooter
01-05-2024, 12:31 PM
About the only thing that I have found that does this without costing a bunch is some variation of the Streamlight ProTac, programmed to low/high mode (I carry a 1L-1AA), where I can just double-click the tailcap.

In my case I've found such "tailcap toggling" of output modes to be problematic when using the flashlight with a handgun: trying to hold enough pressure on the switch for momentary operation without (1) the switch inadvertently latching to constant-on or (2) toggling to another output mode while simultaneously keeping both the gun and light on target, controlling recoil, cleanly pressing the trigger, etc. seems beyond my available bandwidth.

When used in conjunction with a handgun, I prefer the light to come on and stay on in maximum output regardless of how hard (or consistently) I'm pressing the switch to compensate for my dexterity shortcomings. For a fight light, I'm a huge advocate of single "all the lumens all the time" output and "dead man's pedal" switching.

For non-critical use, mode toggling via the tailcap switch, programming, etc. are all fine. In my case, I find carrying a dedicated "fight light" and a second one for general use to be optimum.

YMMV

Half Moon
01-05-2024, 01:01 PM
Out here in the wild west, a pocket clip or two is no big deal in any venue.

Yeah, not anything that even trips as unusual in my head. Growing up in the Southwest remember tons of folks going about their day with belt sheathed large folders in the Buck 110 class. Regional variation in customs...

NH Shooter
01-05-2024, 01:03 PM
My wife has commented that flashlight collections are analogous to her shoe collection.

My boring (and perhaps strange) routine includes wearing the same clothing from the moment I wake up to the time I retire at the end of the day. I do have multiple pairs of EDC pants and shirts, all the same but in different colors.

No "lounging" clothes, guns, knives or flashlights for me - I carry the same "kit" all day, exactly the same way every day. This provides great consistency in where I reach for the needed item and how I reach for it. The only time I deviate is when having to go to a NPE, which isn't very often.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-05-2024, 01:12 PM
While this may be counter to moving to well equipped Condition Red in a few seconds, I now tend to like to nap on the couch and the more minimalist set up works for me. While horror is possible even in our low crime rate small town, a smash through the doors attack is a low probability event and a nap is a higher probability action. Perhaps I am violating our group's paradigm, but it is what it is. Napping with being poked by the full belt set doesn't work for me.

There's a spectrum between not carrying but having stashed gear and full gear up. I fall on what I said, comfortable pocket gun and knife and light in comfy house pants. If reaction time permits - Glocks, shotguns, carbines and a snack are accessible. Some revolvers also if it's a retro fight. Got some Buffalo Bore ammo to load up if a bear decides to make the 6 mile hike to here and go for my 10 year old Cabot Cheddar!

Sorry to be silly. But the EDC around the house dress is real.

BTW, besides that EDC Surefire I pictured, the car has as 6P from the past, stashed in the front of the SUV with some extra batteries.

I bought some BEIKE Flashlight 2 Pack, Flash Light High Lumens, Small Flashlights Powerful, Super Bright LED Flashlight, Handheld Flashlights for Home, Camping, Emergency, Power Outages, Travel - from Amazon and they are cheap for two - $9.99. Seem to work and hung one in the garage and in the basement.

Streamlight 73301 Pocket Mate 325-Lumen Keychain/Clip-on USB Rechargeable Flashlight on my keychain as a Photon replacment.

Got a combo flashlight, knife, firestarter, window break deal from an LEO friend stashed in the console also. Also have an extra pair of Danners in the back - since I had LLBean boots fall apart on me in a class. Wife has a point about never having enough shoes.

NH Shooter
01-05-2024, 02:08 PM
While this may be counter to moving to well equipped Condition Red in a few seconds, I now tend to like to nap on the couch and the more minimalist set up works for me. While horror is possible even in our low crime rate small town, a smash through the doors attack is a low probability event and a nap is a higher probability action. Perhaps I am violating our group's paradigm, but it is what it is. Napping with being poked by the full belt set doesn't work for me.

Understood.

I guess I'm lucky that my quest to find a comfy means to keep my normal EDC kit on my person has paid off. Like my fellow boomers, I too take my daily nap - I'm just comfortably armed to the teeth while doing so. ;-)

Glenn E. Meyer
01-05-2024, 02:23 PM
I'm getting a new lounging chair - maybe that will work for an up-armed geezer. Scheduling delivery today.

NH Shooter
01-05-2024, 03:23 PM
- maybe that will work for an up-armed geezer.

We are the most dangerous breed.

If that doesn't make a home-invading miscreant quiver in fear, dropping your lounging draws and showing 'em your radical prostatectomy scars certainly will!

Cookie Monster
01-05-2024, 06:25 PM
After leaking high quality alkaline batteries ruined three AAA and AA lights, and a friend’s Garmin GPS, I’m done with alkalines. I’ll stick with rechargeables, 123s, or lithium AA.

I cannot count the number of headlamps lost to leaking batteries - 6 or 7 at least.

Andy in NH
01-05-2024, 06:48 PM
I cannot count the number of headlamps lost to leaking batteries - 6 or 7 at least.

If they were Energizer batteries, they have a repair/replace policy for items damaged by leaks:

https://www.energizer.com/about-batteries/battery-leakage

NH Shooter
01-08-2024, 01:19 PM
Maybe I'm weird: for an EDC light, I want two modes, low and high, with "low" being approximately "I need to find my pants in the dark without waking my wife," and "high" being, "OH MY GOD MY EYES".

Malkoff just rolled out a new E-series head that has three modes toggled via the tailcap switch: 900 | 300 | 30 lumens using a reflector and the XP-L emitter. It will work on the Lumens Factory 18350 and 18650 bodies I currently use. I am ordering one to evaluate, could be a good choice for an "everything else" EDC light!

Chefdog
01-09-2024, 11:12 PM

Unless you just really want to check it out, I’d pass. I got one as soon as I saw it and thought the shape would be easier to carry, and 500 lumens is plenty, right? I already had a USBc cord in my car ready to go. As soon as I pulled it out of the package and slipped it into my pocket I had doubts. I’ve carried the same Foursevens Quark QP2LX for more than ten years (4sevens deep carry clips are awesome) and recently switched to the single AA body (I run run a 14500) from the 2x123 body which makes the thing just over 4” long. Point is, the .2” you save In width with the wedge is not noticeable, nor is the shape, at least if you’re carrying in a front jeans pocket. But the biggest difference is the light output. The Wedge is 100% diffused spill, with no focused spot at all, not to mention it just seemed very weak. The Quark is, I think, about 750 lumens for the first minute I think, then ramps down to 350ish, and it has a much nicer quality beam. Not to mention with a twist of the head you’ve got 5 more modes to choose from instead of just hi/lo of the Wedge.
Didn’t intend to make this a 4sevens ad, but the wedge was a disappointment for me.

Casey
01-09-2024, 11:45 PM

I hear what you're saying. Like NH Shooter stated, there's value in having a dedicated fight light that is all the output, all the time, where one doesn't have to worry about toggling back and forth between high and low mode when using the light intermittently in a use of force situation. I've mostly carried single output lights for just that reason, with the notable exception of the Surefire EDCL2-T and its phenomenal gas pedal switch, which would serve your needs well (soft press for low mode, hard press for high mode) while also eliminating the concern over inadvertently going into low mode when high is needed—a hard press always gets you high mode. Sadly, that light is short on candela, at least compared to more modern offerings.

I've been carrying a SureFire EDC2-DFT for a couple weeks now. While it violates my preference for a high-only light for defensive use, I'm giving it a shot because I really don't like having to carry a separate light for admin purposes, and also because I'm one of those guys who has to have the latest and greatest with some products. That light might work for you, too, although it only works in high > low mode and cannot be programmed any other way. You'd have to cover the light head and double-tap into low mode if you were trying to avoid blasting out a bunch of light.

Cloud Defensive's current line of MCH handhelds are multimode programmable and can be set up five different ways:

High Only
Low > High
High > Low
Very Low > Medium > High
High > Medium > Very Low

Those may work well for you, though a word of caution: their High Candela model gets extremely hot in constant-on mode on high output.

Modlite recently released a programmable multimode head for their 18650 lights, but it's limited to two options: high only or high > low.

NH Shooter
01-10-2024, 07:27 AM
Unless you just really want to check it out, I’d pass. I got one as soon as I saw it and thought the shape would be easier to carry...

IMO, a cylindrical body with a tailcap switch remains the gold standard of flashlight ergonomics. It best leverages the instinctual way the human hand forms a fist with the thumb on top, and the natural way we grasp objects.

https://i.ibb.co/JtTgmSL/101522edclb-2.jpg

MGW
01-10-2024, 07:36 AM
Unless you just really want to check it out, I’d pass. I got one as soon as I saw it and thought the shape would be easier to carry, and 500 lumens is plenty, right? I already had a USBc cord in my car ready to go. As soon as I pulled it out of the package and slipped it into my pocket I had doubts. I’ve carried the same Foursevens Quark QP2LX for more than ten years (4sevens deep carry clips are awesome) and recently switched to the single AA body (I run run a 14500) from the 2x123 body which makes the thing just over 4” long. Point is, the .2” you save In width with the wedge is not noticeable, nor is the shape, at least if you’re carrying in a front jeans pocket. But the biggest difference is the light output. The Wedge is 100% diffused spill, with no focused spot at all, not to mention it just seemed very weak. The Quark is, I think, about 750 lumens for the first minute I think, then ramps down to 350ish, and it has a much nicer quality beam. Not to mention with a twist of the head you’ve got 5 more modes to choose from instead of just hi/lo of the Wedge.
Didn’t intend to make this a 4sevens ad, but the wedge was a disappointment for me.

I ordered one yesterday. Bad weather outside and perusing Amazon is a bad idea. I think I’ll be sending it back after reading this. I want bright and focused. I have a light on my watch that works for avoiding waking the significant other up in the middle of the night. Honestly, having a light on my watch is about the handiest thing ever.

I lost a light about a year ago (I forget which one) and replaced it with a Steamlight Protac 1L-AA. I like the dual battery option as I often have access to 123’s, but the clip is terrible. I removed it pretty soon after getting it and I have no idea where it is now. I don’t like it just rattling around in my front pocket.

Chefdog
01-10-2024, 08:53 AM
I ordered one yesterday. Bad weather outside and perusing Amazon is a bad idea. I think I’ll be sending it back after reading this. I want bright and focused. I have a light on my watch that works for avoiding waking the significant other up in the middle of the night. Honestly, having a light on my watch is about the handiest thing ever.

I lost a light about a year ago (I forget which one) and replaced it with a Steamlight Protac 1L-AA. I like the dual battery option as I often have access to 123’s, but the clip is terrible. I removed it pretty soon after getting it and I have no idea where it is now. I don’t like it just rattling around in my front pocket.

Give it a look when the blue truck drops it off, it’d be interesting to know if they’re all the same, or maybe I just got a dud. I’ve got one of those dual fuel Pro-tac lights stashed somewhere around here as well, and iirc it has a more useful beam than the wedge. If I can find it, I’ll see if the 4sevens deep carry clip will fit the body. Mine has been seemingly indestructible. https://darksucks.com/products/replacement-pocket-clips

MGW
01-10-2024, 10:07 AM
Give it a look when the blue truck drops it off, it’d be interesting to know if they’re all the same, or maybe I just got a dud. I’ve got one of those dual fuel Pro-tac lights stashed somewhere around here as well, and iirc it has a more useful beam than the wedge. If I can find it, I’ll see if the 4sevens deep carry clip will fit the body. Mine has been seemingly indestructible. https://darksucks.com/products/replacement-pocket-clips

Will do. That clip looks great!

Chefdog
01-10-2024, 10:11 AM
Will do. That clip looks great!

Found it in the emergency kit in my wife’s car. The 4sevens clip fits and seems secure, although it doesn’t lock in like on the quark light, but fits nice and tightly.
ETA: With a 123 battery, the beam on the protac is much better imo than what I saw from the wedge.

Clusterfrack
01-10-2024, 12:04 PM
...4sevens deep carry clip will fit the body. Mine has been seemingly indestructible. https://darksucks.com/products/replacement-pocket-clips

It's nice they sell replacement clips. But, if the clips were really robust most people wouldn't need a replacement. Why are nearly* all flashlight clips flimsy and crappy, while even the cheapest pocket knives have solid clips?

https://www.benchmade.com/products/984765f

*Malkoff bodies excepted.
https://malkoffdevices.com/cdn/shop/products/Malkoff_MDC_1CR123_Body_side.jpg

NH Shooter
01-10-2024, 12:17 PM
It's nice they sell replacement clips. But, if the clips were really robust most people wouldn't need a replacement. Why are nearly* all flashlight clips flimsy and crappy, while even the cheapest pocket knives have solid clips?

https://www.benchmade.com/products/984765f

*Malkoff bodies excepted.
https://malkoffdevices.com/cdn/shop/products/Malkoff_MDC_1CR123_Body_side.jpg

My guess is the way the clip attaches to the host. A knife clip is screwed to a solid, flat surface so the design of the clip is simple (less forming) and can be made thicker.

Gene Malkoff wisely decided to make his E-series pocket clips like a simple knife clip, screwed to the body. As noted, it's a solid set up.

Clusterfrack
01-10-2024, 12:21 PM
My guess is the way the clip attaches to the host. A knife clip is screwed to a solid, flat surface so the design of the clip is simple (less forming) and can be made thicker.

Gene Malkoff wisely decided to make his E-series pocket clips like a simple knife clip, screwed to the body. As noted, it's a solid set up.

Agreed. If Gene made a 18350 body that fit the BG2, most of my problems would be solved.

Chefdog
01-10-2024, 12:40 PM
[B]My guess is the way the clip attaches to the host.
This is exactly my experience. The way most clips just snap onto the body, like on the protac I posted above, leaves a lot to be desired. The way the Quark lights, and an acebeam I got somewhat recently, do it by locking the clip down via the threads, is vastly superior ime.

I agree that most light clips are subpar, but I’ve bent/broken a few bench made clips over the years, but that clip on the quark light went on the day I got it and is still there after countless meetings with commercial oven doors, car doors, stainless steel tables, walk-in refrigerators, etc. maybe I’m just lucky, but it’s held up.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-10-2024, 02:16 PM
I found that Spyderco black Delica plastic clips would break and then I had them replaced by Spyderco with black metal ones but they broke also. So I replaced them with the stainless clips which were more sturdy. Surefire clips would break. I once asked them if they had a 5 pack and they got mad at me for asking. YOU can only get them one at a time. Duh - don't know if they are that way now. Haven't had a clip break on my EDC posted early though and it's been a few years.

Clusterfrack
01-10-2024, 02:25 PM
I found that Spyderco black Delica plastic clips would break and then I had them replaced by Spyderco with black metal ones but they broke also. So I replaced them with the stainless clips which were more sturdy. Surefire clips would break. I once asked them if they had a 5 pack and they got mad at me for asking. YOU can only get them one at a time. Duh - don't know if they are that way now. Haven't had a clip break on my EDC posted early though and it's been a few years.

Surefire clips were terrible. I bent at least 4.

NH Shooter
01-10-2024, 02:29 PM
Surefire clips were terrible. I bent at least 4.

The sure fire way to avoid issues with broken or bent pocket clips is not to use them. :cool:

(I can hear CF cursing me out all the way here in NH)

Clusterfrack
01-10-2024, 02:34 PM
The sure fire way to avoid issues with broken or bent pocket clips is not to use them. :cool:

If every pair of pants was as awesome as the Prometheus I’m wearing today, I wouldn’t need clips.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240110/541049485a7a861aa4eb8ce21c6d9cb1.jpg

NH Shooter
01-10-2024, 02:36 PM
If every pair of pants was as awesome as the Prometheus I’m wearing today, I wouldn’t need clips.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240110/541049485a7a861aa4eb8ce21c6d9cb1.jpg

Need purchase link for these pants.

Clusterfrack
01-10-2024, 02:41 PM

This batch is mostly sold out.

https://prometheusdesignwerx.com/collections/pants/products/delta-cargo-pant-trs-t-fit-atb?variant=40038137790550

Clusterfrack
01-10-2024, 02:44 PM
Correction, this model:

https://prometheusdesignwerx.com/collections/pants/products/delta-cargo-pant-ec-t-fit-rg?variant=40038157975638

MGW
01-10-2024, 02:44 PM

Vertx pants have similar pockets and are about half the price. The sizing can be inconsistent, though. I picked up two pair of the Delta Stretch LT a few weeks ago. I like them so far. They also have a small thigh pocket. The leather on the seem of the pocket isn't as obnoxious as it looks in the picture.

Clusterfrack
01-10-2024, 05:19 PM
Vertx pants have similar pockets and are about half the price. The sizing can be inconsistent, though. I picked up two pair of the Delta Stretch LT a few weeks ago. I like them so far. They also have a small thigh pocket. The leather on the seem of the pocket isn't as obnoxious as it looks in the picture.

I like those a lot. They are my favorite EDC pant.

Dennis
01-10-2024, 07:53 PM
The clip on this Olight is actually pretty impressive. I was worried at first because the attachment looked spindly, but it orients the light in one direction, drops nice and deep, is usable both ways if need be, and splits off safely under major load. I have been carrying daily at home for months now with no issues.

When out and about I carry a light correctly, in a holster right behind my extra mag [emoji16]

Dennis.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240111/0beff6aabb58171e3f5acfd453f4f83b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240111/1b0401ab24831ea9d59803761b21244d.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

BillSWPA
01-11-2024, 01:27 PM
I prefer belt carry when possible, but I keep the light in front of my spare magazines. This way, I can reach for the light with less danger of exposing the spare magazines. Additionally, when I reach for the phone in front of the light, I might expose the light, but not the spare magazines.

My current light pouch is this one, which I asked the maker to modify so that the bottom of the pouch is even with the bottom of the Tek Lock.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/257558164/kydex-adjustable-retention-flashlight?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=oz+tactical+holsters+kydex+flashli ght+holder&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&frs=1&sts=1&organic_search_click=1

Below is the light on my belt, worn under a sweater vest.

NH Shooter
01-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Belt carry has its advantages!

I've been carrying my fight light (or some slight variation of it) in this HBC non-stop for over six months. It remains on my belt at all times, and only comes off when I have to transfer the belt to another pair of pants;

https://i.ibb.co/mhN80RD/HBC-7.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/ryc027k/HBC-1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/6BNQ8cc/HBC-4.jpg

Based on this use thus far, here are my observations;

From a comfort standpoint, it's like it's not even there. Neither the light or holster pokes me at any time.
With my typical attire of shirt out, it remains completely concealed
With a Velcro lined belt (or a piece of loop on the backside of the belt), the holster remains locked in place on the belt
In combination with the elastic belt keeper, retention has been 100%
Just like the pistol, the light is quickly extracted from the holster in a single motion by grabbing the light in a syringe grip and pulling it rearward out of the holster - no separate motion to move the elastic belt keeper out of the way

The only issue I've run into is when using a clicky tailcap, I've managed to bump the back of the light and turn it on when crawling under the dashboard of my car to change the cabin filter. A twisty tailcap solves this issue and is what I prefer for a fight light anyway.

My primary light rides DIP style in a front pocket. It's also set up to make effective use of a syringe grip, so it can be used with the Roger-Surefire technique as well;

I have concluded that comfortably carrying two lights in this manner is easy and convenient.

NH Shooter
01-12-2024, 06:33 PM
https://i.ibb.co/cv01zMm/mdcxpl-1.jpg

Malkoff MDC XP-L head on LF E1 body (https://www.edclightbuilder.com/store/E1-18350-Body---HA-Black-p520876014) with GRK (https://www.edclightbuilder.com/store/Grip-Ring-Kit-p536573829) and E2T tailcap (https://www.edclightbuilder.com/store/EDCLB-E2T-Tailcaps-p518674538);

30 | 300 | 800 lumen 3-mode head

17 | 2 | 0.48 hours run time on a 1200 mAh 18350 cell

Modes are selected via tailcap switch toggling (one hand operation)

It looks like this is going to replace the SF E2T-MV Tactician riding in my pocket as my EDC "everything else" light.

Clusterfrack
01-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Any candela ratings on that head?

...]Malkoff MDC XP-L[/B] head

30 | 300 | 800 lumen 3-mode head

17 | 2 | 0.48 hours run time on a 1200 mAh 18350 cell

Modes are selected via tailcap switch toggling (one hand operation)

It looks like this is going to replace the SF E2T-MV Tactician riding in my pocket as my EDC "everything else" light.

NH Shooter
01-13-2024, 05:06 AM

I'll take the readings this weekend, but I'd guess it's around 7k - 8k cd on high. Subjectively, I'd say the beam profile is very similar to the BGV2, and overall performance on the high setting is virtually identical to the E2S. The middle 300 lumen setting appears the same to me as BGV2 stepped down, and the low 30-lumen setting is perfect for admin or any situation when lower output is desirable.

In operation, if the last mode used is left on for more than 1.5 seconds, the light will come back on in low mode. If the light is not left on for at least 1.5 seconds, the light will advance to the next mode the next time it's turned on. in normal use (light left on more than 1.5 seconds), the light will activate on low in the next use.

NH Shooter
01-13-2024, 09:45 AM

I measured it at 6,300 cd on high. Here's some single-cell size Surefire lights for comparison;

Stiletto Pro - 1,000 lumens | 5,100 cd
EDCL1-T - 500 lumens | 7,600 cd
E1B Backup - 400 lumens | 1,865 cd

This Lego is smaller and lighter than any of the lights above

Paul Blackburn
01-13-2024, 10:05 AM
I measured it at 6,300 cd on high. Here's some single-cell size Surefire lights for comparison;

Stiletto Pro - 1,000 lumens | 5,100 cd
EDCL1-T - 500 lumens | 7,600 cd
E1B Backup - 400 lumens | 1,865 cd

This Lego is smaller and lighter than any of the lights above

I don"t see that offering on their site?

NH Shooter
01-13-2024, 11:52 AM
I don"t see that offering on their site?

Contact Cathy to order just the head - $99.99 ;

https://malkoffdevices.com/products/copy-of-mdc-xp-l-16650-500-lumen-flashlight

MGW
01-16-2024, 08:52 AM

The wedge I ordered came in the other day. I’m not sure what I think about it. I didn’t pay attention to the measurements. It’s a little bigger than I would like. I like that it’s flat on the sides. Fits well in the pocket and stays put. It’s plenty bright but as stated earlier it’s not a focused beam. Pretty handy for searching around in dark places though. I also don’t know if I like the on off switch or not. I’m so use to a tail push switch that getting use to the lever at the front of the light would take some time. I’m leaving toward returning it.

Casey
01-17-2024, 04:35 PM
I also don’t know if I like the on off switch or not. I’m so use to a tail push switch that getting use to the lever at the front of the light would take some time.
The new Wedge XT has a tail switch. Here's a quick comparison to the original Wedge I found informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iOb300FY_E.

chris1280
02-29-2024, 05:30 PM
Will the Modlite Legacy Enhanced LED-T Light Head fit on a surefire tactician body?

Great discussion, my thanks to all participating!

Here are the two lights I have been carrying for quite a while. This combination works well for me;

On the left is my dedicated "fight light" that is carried in an EDCLB HBC (https://www.edclightbuilder.com/store/HBC-Horizontal-Belt-Carrier-p571469803) at about the 9:30 position. It's reserved strictly for self defense purposes using a syringe grip, and the Rogers-Surefire Technique (https://surefire.news/surefire-combatlight-the-solution-to-a-handheld-with-a-handgun/) if used with the pistol.

Key features of this light;

The Modlite Legacy Enhanced LED-F Light Head (https://modlite.com/products/merge-legacy-enhanced-led-f-light-head?variant=40748820299812) produces 850 lumen with 44,000 candela. I was formerly using the Malkoff E2XTD which produces 650 lumen with 70,000 candela, but I have come to prefer the ML head due to it's brighter spill and overall beam pattern. The E2TXD is no longer made, whch is truly a shame as it remains a top choice for a fight light application.

Momentary only using the LF Z14/Z31 Tailcap (https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/product_detail.php?pid=579) which features a simple, robust design with great feel.

The ergonomics of the light are optimized for the syringe grip using an Oveready E35 (https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/e-18350-body-e35-ha-black/) body and a Malkoff Delrin grip ring (https://malkoffdevices.com/products/malkoff-devices-md-body-extender-kit).
Powered with an IMR 18350 Li-ion cell.

This light has the candela to reach way out and overcome photonic barriers, while providing a bright cone of spill. When used with a syringe grip/R-S Technique, I think it's as good as it gets.

The light on the right is the Surefire E2T-MV Tactician (https://www.surefire.com/e2t-maxvision-tactician/) with the EDCLB Upgrades (https://www.edclightbuilder.com/surefire-e2t-mv-tactcian-upgrades/). It's carried in the right side front pocket using the DIP method.

Rated at 800 lumen and 3,200 candela, it's "Maxvision" beam is a wide flood pattern. It uses a bezel switch for high/low operation: maximum output is achieved with the bezel tight, with the bezel backed off a quarter turn the light produces 5 lumen. I leave the bezel set at low output, which in combination with the wide, smooth beam I find extraordinarily useful for up-close use, and for indoors at night with my vision adjusted to the dark. With the EDCLB GRK (https://www.edclightbuilder.com/store/Grip-Ring-Kit-p536573829) installed, I can use the same grip as the fight light, and find it works perfectly with the R-F Technique as well. Powered with a 16650 Li-ion protected cell, this light will run for days on low and for about two hours on hiigh.

This is a key attribute for me: both lights can be handled and operated in exactly the same manner.

In use these two lights compliment each other quite nicely. They cover all of my everyday lighting needs, have almost identical user interfaces and handling qualities, and offer reliable, fuss-free operation.

Clusterfrack
05-15-2024, 11:49 AM

After bending my pocket clip yet again, I'm trying something new:

Tec P-7 Suspension Clip
https://www.amazon.com/TEC-Accessories-Suspension-Multi-Purpose-Keychain/dp/B01N6T6UFQ

Cheap but equivalent knockoff
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KYQZLSJ/

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240515/ebc2b2a6ec8ae80c0a961205ccafdfcd.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240515/a3bc9a0ce3563f6297094770a8b4edb3.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240515/c1e22d8d58a0861d13a06d1131482beb.jpg

NH Shooter
05-15-2024, 02:55 PM
That's pretty slick!