PDA

View Full Version : Taran "Versatile" base pads

GJM
12-27-2023, 09:49 AM
During a recent holiday sale, I bought some of the Taran Versatile base pads. These are 140mm extensions that work on many (CZ, Canik, Walther, Beretta) different platform magazines. I got them for the Walther PDP, but before I deployed them, I ended up using them on MecGar 18 rounds 226 mags for my wife's new 226 X5.

https://tarantacticalinnovations.com/tti-versatile-base-pad/

I did try them, unsuccessfully, on a Macro mag. Taran's description says they work on the Macro, but at least with the two mags I tried, the mag would need to be slightly modified to allow the push pin in the extension to work properly, and I didn't want to do that. These things FS are great for someone that likes to mess around with different platforms.

Norville
12-27-2023, 11:20 AM
I did try them, unsuccessfully, on a Macro mag. Taran's description says they work on the Macro, but at least with the two mags I tried, the mag would need to be slightly modified to allow the push pin in the extension to work properly, and I didn't want to do that. These things FS are great for someone that likes to mess around with different platforms.

Odd, I got them to work on my Macro, and believe RJ did as well.

GJM
12-27-2023, 11:28 AM
Odd, I got them to work on my Macro, and believe RJ did as well.

Interesting. On the two mags I tried, the pin from the Taran extension wouldn't go up, as it was hitting part of the magazine tube. Can you check your mag that worked and see how it is marked, and I will do the same.

RJ
12-27-2023, 11:36 AM
Ja I have a couple in use, maybe a year ish now.

In September I had a weird malfunction where a round of Federal 147 HST ‘stuck’ down in the mag. I ended up discovering a lot of compression in the xtra power mag springs I bought. Pic below shows what I found. New spare xtra power springs I fitted seen at left. I was kinda surprised they compressed like that.

Otherwise, no problems, really, maybe 100 through each so far, so not a lot.

Norville
12-27-2023, 11:54 AM
The pin is pretty close, but it slid by. I have another in the box of parts, I may try to install it later to be sure it fits as well.

RJ
12-27-2023, 12:12 PM
Ah, the pins. Yes, same as Norville, I had to coax each pin past the mag tube, with my little friend...

https://www.harborfreight.com/double-sided-mallet-with-wooden-handle-98285.html

Just to clarify, I looked at my logbook. I have had these in use since mid January 2023, so approx 11 months. All the rounds I shot through my X Macro TACOPS Frankengun have included these two at range sessions, and the gun has 612 rounds, so each has maybe 1/4 of that total. I've shot them at least a couple times loaded with 20 rounds, having sat for a few weeks.

Back to pins, now you mention, I did note the pins were "walking" meaning they weren't where I left them, after shooting, my last range session, #7. Logbook snapshot below. I guess maybe I should use loc-tite on them, but haven't so far.

JCN
12-27-2023, 12:20 PM
Ah, the pins. Yes, same as Norville, I had to coax each pin past the mag tube, with my little friend...

As an aside, I’ve had to do this a number of times with different metal mags. Either a little hit with a punch on the lip or a quick notch with a Dremel to make the clearance.

RJ
12-27-2023, 12:45 PM
Pins on my two, at the moment:

vcdgrips
12-27-2023, 01:38 PM
As much as I like and respect the OP, RJ and some others who have posted in this thread:

I am highly disinclined to put any money into the coffers of TB absent a life or death need for one of his products.

I found his behavior with younger female employees to be consistent with those whom "groom" children as a precursor to abuse.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?40383-Taran-Tactical-Instagram-Controversy/page25

Trooper224
12-28-2023, 09:25 AM
Doesn't seem very precious to me.

GJM
12-28-2023, 09:44 AM
As much as I like and respect the OP, RJ and some others who have posted in this thread:

I am highly disinclined to put any money into the coffers of TB absent a life or death need for one of his products.

I found his behavior with younger female employees to be consistent with those whom "groom" children as a precursor to abuse.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?40383-Taran-Tactical-Instagram-Controversy/page25

In the overall scheme of what and who is right or wrong, Holosun's country of origin bugs me a lot more than Taran's antics. Once I crossed the bridge with Holosun, I have focused narrowly on what is the best product at the best price to meet a particular need. 40 percent off, on sale, and fitting a number of things I shoot is attractive and there isn't an alternative that does the same for me.

vcdgrips
12-28-2023, 10:04 AM
GJM:

I fully understand. I am clearly a product of my professional endeavors on this issue.

It is very easy for me to take such a position when I do not compete/train remotely as vigorously or successfully as you across multiple platforms and I affirmatively eschew all extended mag items in my edc oriented shooting world.

Re Holosun: I traded for the one I run as an EDC on the G17. I have yet to purchase one though I have to candidly acknowledge their emerging dominance in the realm given their feature set, price point and perhaps most of all-availability.

I am on waters edge of outfitting another RDS gun or two. I wait in vain for the Glock OEM direct mill to be available (for either the Aimpoint or the Holosun footprint) and note that both Gunsite and a nearby regional training academy are going all in on the Holosun 509T as it has performed well, holds zero, it is well priced, CS on defective units often has a new one going out before the bad one has been received and it is in stock more often than it is not- the exact opposite of an Aimpoint P-2.

GJM
12-28-2023, 10:50 AM
An interesting separate thread would be to discuss how politics enters into your buying choices -- do you buy based on the product or the politics of the company. I have been doing this shooting thing long enough, that my options would be extremely limited if I didn't buy from S&W because of the lock fiasco, Ruger for supporting a ten round mag ban, Glock for screwing LE with the .40/flashlight issues, Sig for Cohen, Holosun for being made in China, no less every company where the owner started thinking with their dick. That said, I have no issue if someone else wants to choose products based on political or geopolitical considerations. Conversely, do you buy an inferior product because you like the politics of the company?

vcdgrips
12-28-2023, 11:26 AM
GJM et al.

Thread split re politics and buying choices in Romper Room:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?59208-How-do-politics-enter-into-buying-choices&p=1538377#post1538377

RJ
12-28-2023, 05:44 PM
As a footnote on the TTI extensions, today shooting my X Macro Frankengun I had another failure to lock back on the last round. Turns out it was with the same mag tube #3 that I had the FTLB with earlier.

I loaded one round and repeated the same failure with mag tube #3 twice, so I thought this failure was related to this magazine, specifically.

This evening I took off both TTI extensions off of Mag tubes #3 and #4, and reverted them back to normal 17 round capacity with the original 17 round springs and Sig basepads I'd saved in a baggie, for this purpose. While I was doing that, a Rogers Shooting School Tap-Rack training aid somehow appeared mysteriously on my desktop when I took mag tube 3 apart. You know. The little doohickey, that you load into a magazine, which prevents the slide from locking back. Grrr.

Well. I think I completely forgot that I'd been using it in Dry Practice, and just loaded rounds on top of it. Hey, in my defense, I am partly color blind, and the Macro follower and Rogers part are both orange. And my vision isn't really getting better these days. :)