PDA

View Full Version : Guns of Professional Gunmen/Gunwomen

Bruce Cartwright
12-22-2023, 01:06 PM
Folks:

As we approach Christmas and the end of 2023, many of us are blessed with some quiet time sometimes shared with family and friends. If that happens to describe you, may I suggest the following thought experiment: In the year of your birth, you are a professional gunman/gunwoman. You are of significant means, both financially and otherwise. You have the legal authority to carry and deploy firearms. You are keenly aware of the firearms that are available in the year of your birth. You have all of your present knowledge. You have access to the best gunsmiths of the day. You want a battery of capable firearms and have elected to find guns that fit into each of the following categories:
1. “Always Guns”/Non-Permissive Environment Guns: These are usually typified by J frame S&W revolvers and small frame autos like the Walther PPK etc.
2. Primary Defensive Handgun-Essentially a service size handgun that you will typically carry on a daily basis. It should be suitable for both concealed and open carry.
3. Defensive Shotgun: Everybody needs a dose of rompin’, stompin’ death and destruction. What’s your choice?
4. Rifle: Your top pick for what Col. Cooper called the “Queen” of Weapons.
5. Adventuring Gun: This is a gun you might pack on a hunt, an Amazon cruise or when excavating a Pharoh’s tomb in Egypt.
6. National Firearms Act Weapons: When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic. What is your choice?
7. “Other”: This is a category that I haven’t figured out by that might be lots of fun.

To preserve our personal security, use a date range when listing your birth year. For me that would be between 1960 and 1965. What follows are my choices:

1. “Always Gun”: For me this would be a custom Smith and Wesson Model 42 Airweight Centennial revolver chambered in 38 Special. Since S&W was still doing custom work at the time, I would ask them to build a Model 42 with a wider front sight with corresponding rear sight notch and have the gun zeroed for 148 grain lead full charge wadcutters at 25 yards. I would ask for a smooth faced trigger and a dehorned cylinder latch. S&W’s best action job would be on my list. I would ask to have the charge holes chamfered. The gun would be finished in a brushed nickel. I would ask for an orange front sight insert. I would seek to obtain a set of stocks from a young LAPD officer named John Hurst. I would then ask S&W to build me two additional revolvers, one being an identical Airweight and the other being a steel framed model 40 (for practice purposes).

2. Primary Defensive Handgun: Having spent some time with a young marine Colonel at Big Bear Lake California, I would ask Colt to build me a custom 1911 in 45 ACP. The gun would be throated for semi wadcutter ammunition. It would have large, fixed high visibility sights and the gun would be zeroed for 230 grain full metal jacket ammunition. The action would be tuned and the gun dehorned. I would ask Colt to equip the gun with a Commander ring hammer and use a relieved Government style grip safety to reduce hammer bite. I would specify a flat mainspring housing along with a beveled magazine well. I would specify that the thumb safety be built up a bit with some welding. The front and back straps would be stippled. I would probably have the gun parkerized. I would use Colt double diamond stocks. While Colt was doing this, I would ask them to build an identical gun on a lightweight Commander frame, preferably with a full-size slide.

3. Defensive Shotgun: My choice would be Texas Ranger/British Special Air Service favorite: A Browning Auto 5 in 12 gauge. The barrel would be 18.5 inches long with a set of rifle sights. My Auto 5 would feature the later safety rather than the earlier version that was housed within the trigger guard. I would ensure that the gun was equipped with a free floating shell lifter so it could be easily topped off. The choke would be cylinder bore. I might throw in a spare 26-inch-long barrel with a ventilated rib and modified choke because sometimes you need to relax from more deadly pursuits by hunting pheasants over a great English setter. I would ask Browning to ensure that the gun had been gone over by an FN gunsmith to insure a great trigger and flawless feeding of buckshot and slugs. I would break with tradition and have a sling mounted to the gun so I could carry it cross chest.

4. Rifle: Easy. Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in 30-06 Government with a 24 inch barrel. Sights would be a combination of iron Sourdough front sight with a gold insert and a barrel mounted sight with a square notch. I would also find the latest/greatest optical sight from Germany and have that mounted. Custom action and trigger job by Winchester. Finish would be factory bet grade bluing just because.

5. Adventuring Gun: Smith and Wesson Model 29 with a custom 5-inch barrel. Stocks would also be provided by John Hurst. I would specify a best grade action, with a service size hammer and narrow, smooth service style trigger. The front sight would incorporate Elmer Keith’s elevation bars of inlaid gold. I may as well and just order a pair. One might even be engraved in case I need to attend a barbecue in Texas.

6. National Firearms Act Weapons:
a. First Pick: My first pick would be one of the relatively new Armalite AR-15s. I would ask for the standard rifle and a pile of magazines. My connections would alert me to a short-barreled version and I would look for an extra upper with a shorty barrel.
b. Second Pick: My sources told me of a fabulous new development from H&K called the Project 64. As much as I love a Thompson submachinegun, the ergonomics of the MP5 are way better. I would acquire one of those with both a fixed and collapsing stock and a pile of magazines. The MP5 which has set the bar for submachinegun design ever since.

7. Other: Here I would specify my European Defensive Handgun. While I may be an Ugly American, I do appreciate some of the things offered in Europe (Driven pheasant hunting, FN firearms, German Christmas stollen, Belgium beer as well Scottish whiskey and haggis). I would probably want a gun I could defend myself with when not in the Colonies. My pick would be a Browning Hi Power in 9mm. This would also be a custom gun with a built-up manual safety, high visibility fixed sights zeroed for 124 grain NATO ball, ramped and throated to feed flat nose bullets (in case I can find any or handload any), along with a feather hammer (to prevent hammer bite), a trigger job (with the abominable magazine disconnect removed), stippled front and back strap and beveled magazine well. Again, the gun would probably be parkerized. I would locate a bunch of 13 round magazines along with some of the rare FN 20 rounders. Since 38 Special would be difficult to source overseas, I would probably acquire a Walther PPK in7.65 as a pocket gun.

Those are my choices. Grab a tasty beverage, throw a log on the fire and tell us about your picks. Merry Christmas to all!

Bruce

Jim Watson
12-22-2023, 01:53 PM
Not as many choices in 1945, have to shop for prewar.
1. PPK bringback.
2. Prewar Super Match.
3. Remington 11 Riot.
4. Model 70 .30 Gov't 06.
5. Model 70 .375 if for megafauna, else the 20" .30.
6. Patchett machine carbine.
7. Gotta have a Bird Gun, Ansley Fox CE grade.

Rex G
12-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Folks:

As we approach Christmas and the end of 2023, many of us are blessed with some quiet time sometimes shared with family and friends. If that happens to describe you, may I suggest the following thought experiment: In the year of your birth, you are a professional gunman/gunwoman. You are of significant means, both financially and otherwise. You have the legal authority to carry and deploy firearms. You are keenly aware of the firearms that are available in the year of your birth. You have all of your present knowledge. You have access to the best gunsmiths of the day. You want a battery of capable firearms and have elected to find guns that fit into each of the following categories:
1. “Always Guns”/Non-Permissive Environment Guns: These are usually typified by J frame S&W revolvers and small frame autos like the Walther PPK etc.
2. Primary Defensive Handgun-Essentially a service size handgun that you will typically carry on a daily basis. It should be suitable for both concealed and open carry.
3. Defensive Shotgun: Everybody needs a dose of rompin’, stompin’ death and destruction. What’s your choice?
5. Adventuring Gun: This is a gun you might pack on a hunt, an Amazon cruise or when excavating a Pharoh’s tomb in Egypt.
6. National Firearms Act Weapons: When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic. What is your choice?
7. “Other”: This is a category that I haven’t figured out by that might be lots of fun.

To preserve our personal security, use a date range when listing your birth year. For me that would be between 1960 and 1965. What follows are my choices:

1. “Always Gun”: For me this would be a custom Smith and Wesson Model 42 Airweight Centennial revolver chambered in 38 Special. Since S&W was still doing custom work at the time, I would ask them to build a Model 42 with a wider front sight with corresponding rear sight notch and have the gun zeroed for 148 grain lead full charge wadcutters at 25 yards. I would ask for a smooth faced trigger and a dehorned cylinder latch. S&W’s best action job would be on my list. I would ask to have the charge holes chamfered. The gun would be finished in a brushed nickel. I would ask for an orange front sight insert. I would seek to obtain a set of stocks from a young LAPD officer named John Hurst. I would then ask S&W to build me two additional revolvers, one being an identical Airweight and the other being a steel framed model 40 (for practice purposes).

2. Primary Defensive Handgun: Having spent some time with a young marine Colonel at Big Bear Lake California, I would ask Colt to build me a custom 1911 in 45 ACP. The gun would be throated for semi wadcutter ammunition. It would have large, fixed high visibility sights and the gun would be zeroed for 230 grain full metal jacket ammunition. The action would be tuned and the gun dehorned. I would ask Colt to equip the gun with a Commander ring hammer and use a relieved Government style grip safety to reduce hammer bite. I would specify a flat mainspring housing along with a beveled magazine well. I would specify that the thumb safety be built up a bit with some welding. The front and back straps would be stippled. I would probably have the gun parkerized. I would use Colt double diamond stocks. While Colt was doing this, I would ask them to build an identical gun on a lightweight Commander frame, preferably with a full-size slide.

3. Defensive Shotgun: My choice would be Texas Ranger/British Special Air Service favorite: A Browning Auto 5 in 12 gauge. The barrel would be 18.5 inches long with a set of rifle sights. My Auto 5 would feature the later safety rather than the earlier version that was housed within the trigger guard. I would ensure that the gun was equipped with a free floating shell lifter so it could be easily topped off. The choke would be cylinder bore. I might throw in a spare 26-inch-long barrel with a ventilated rib and modified choke because sometimes you need to relax from more deadly pursuits by hunting pheasants over a great English setter. I would ask Browning to ensure that the gun had been gone over by an FN gunsmith to insure a great trigger and flawless feeding of buckshot and slugs. I would break with tradition and have a sling mounted to the gun so I could carry it cross chest.

4. Rifle: Easy. Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in 30-06 Government with a 24 inch barrel. Sights would be a combination of iron Sourdough front sight with a gold insert and a barrel mounted sight with a square notch. I would also find the latest/greatest optical sight from Germany and have that mounted. Custom action and trigger job by Winchester. Finish would be factory bet grade bluing just because.

5. Adventuring Gun: Smith and Wesson Model 29 with a custom 5-inch barrel. Stocks would also be provided by John Hurst. I would specify a best grade action, with a service size hammer and narrow, smooth service style trigger. The front sight would incorporate Elmer Keith’s elevation bars of inlaid gold. I may as well and just order a pair. One might even be engraved in case I need to attend a barbecue in Texas.

a. First Pick: My first pick would be one of the relatively new Armalite AR-15s. I would ask for the standard rifle and a pile of magazines. My connections would alert me to a short-barreled version and I would look for an extra upper with a shorty barrel.
b. Second Pick: My sources told me of a fabulous new development from H&K called the Project 64. As much as I love a Thompson submachinegun, the ergonomics of the MP5 are way better. I would acquire one of those with both a fixed and collapsing stock and a pile of magazines. The MP5 which has set the bar for submachinegun design ever since.

7. Other: Here I would specify my European Defensive Handgun. While I may be an Ugly American, I do appreciate some of the things offered in Europe (Driven pheasant hunting, FN firearms, German Christmas stollen, Belgium beer as well Scottish whiskey and haggis). I would probably want a gun I could defend myself with when not in the Colonies. My pick would be a Browning Hi Power in 9mm. This would also be a custom gun with a built-up manual safety, high visibility fixed sights zeroed for 124 grain NATO ball, ramped and throated to feed flat nose bullets (in case I can find any or handload any), along with a feather hammer (to prevent hammer bite), a trigger job (with the abominable magazine disconnect removed), stippled front and back strap and beveled magazine well. Again, the gun would probably be parkerized. I would locate a bunch of 13 round magazines along with some of the rare FN 20 rounders. Since 38 Special would be difficult to source overseas, I would probably acquire a Walther PPK in7.65 as a pocket gun.

Those are my choices. Grab a tasty beverage, throw a log on the fire and tell us about your picks. Merry Christmas to all!

Bruce

My birth year was 1961.

1. Always Gun: S&W Model 40. (Airweights have always annoyed me; just uncomfortable. Steel is real.)

2. Primary Defensive Gun: Colt SAA. Old Lucky was enough for Frank Hamer.

3. Defensive Shotgun: Browning Auto-5, or its copy, the Remington Model 11. (I think I am remembering that correctly.)

4. Rifle: Savage Model 99, probably .303 Savage. This was before left-hand-action bolt guns.

5. Adventuring Handgun: S&W pre-Model 27, with the post-WW2 “transition” hammer, because it is more thumb-cock-able, for my hands, than the later hammers. (I cannot get enough index finger onto the face of an N-Frame trigger, for proper DA shooting.)

6. NFA: BAR. Because America.

7. Other: S&W M&P 2” Snubby, pre-Model 10, with the post-WW2 transition hammer. I can reach the trigger of this weapon, so, do not need to thumb-cock, but this hammer would match the hammer of my bigger Magnum. My present-day, real self has one of these. Everyone should have a Model 10, or, a pre-10. :)

MountainRaven
12-22-2023, 04:01 PM
ETA: I see we're doing a range of dates approximating our birthyear, so...

Mid-80s.

ETA2: Changed The Everywhere.

1- The Everywhere S&W model 60 with a bobbed, DAO hammer. Colt Commando Special, with a bobbed, DAO hammer. (Because present year me is a Colt revolver man.)
2- The Primary Colt 1911 Government, in 45 ACP, set up like the gun Heirloom Precision built for Whiskey and War Stories last year (based on an 80s Delta gun) - so... basically an 80s Delta gun.
3- The Gauge Benelli M1 Super 90.
4- The Rifle SIG SG541/SG550.
5- The Adventurer FN FAL for the Amazon or tomb raiding. If we're talking big critters, a Winchester Model 70 with 21-inch barrel and express sights in 458 Lott (with the option of 45-70-level 458 Win Mag, full-power 458 Win Mag, or 458 Lott depending on likely opposition).
6- The NFA It's the 1980s and if I can't handle it with an AR, an FAL, or a 458 Lott, it's probably because I needed something more concealable, so H&K MP5K.
7- The Wildcard M72 LAW. If I can't handle it with a 38, a 45, a 5.56, a 308, a 458 Lott, or a lot of 9mm... I probably need to blow it up.

Bergeron
12-22-2023, 04:03 PM
Lol, fun!

Early '80s for this Elder Millennial:

1: Always Gun- airweight .38 revolver

2: Defensive Handgun- 80s' spec USPSA 1911 .45

3: Defensive Shotgun- Auto-5, rifle sights

4: Rifle- 1903A1 blueprinted, rebuilt & w/ optic, 30-06

5: Adventuring Gun- 92FS

6: NFA Weapon- Ultimax (just in time, if not- short (<20") AR pattern)

7: Other- AI L96A1 7.62x51/308 (just in time, if not- SSG69, precision rifle)

BN
12-22-2023, 04:11 PM
I was born in 1945. Times were different. Men wore suits with ties and often vests and clothes were fuller, which makes some larger choices possible.

1. Always/NPE: I might go a couple different ways. I might have a couple small frame 38 Colt Fitz Specials. Or I might have a couple Savage 32s or Colt 32 autos.

2. Primary: Probably a large frame 45 Colt DA revolver with 4" or 5" barrel. I probably wouldn't Fitz them but go with Colt for familiarity with my pocket revolvers.

3. Shotgun: Maybe a 12 ga double unless I used an A-5 or Rem 11.

4. Rifle: Win M-70 in 30-06.

5. Adventure: Custom Mauser in a heavy caliber that was available world wide.

6. NFA: Tommy Gun. Naturally.

7. Other: A high quality rifle chambered in 22LR. I would also have several revolvers and semi auto handguns in 22 LR. All of my guns would have visible sights such as gold dot etc.

Joe in PNG
12-22-2023, 04:53 PM
Watergate era birth here. And as everyone knows, auto pistols are just a fad:

1) NPE- Colt Agent with hammer shroud
2) Primary- Colt Python 4"
3) Shottie- Remington 11 riot gun
4) Rifle- Remington 8 in .30 Rem
5) Adventuring- 6" S&W Model 25 in .45 LC
6) NFA- Colt Monitor
7) Other- Duded up Winchester 70 in .30-06 with glass

BobM
12-22-2023, 05:02 PM
Same age range as Bruce, and my choices are very similar. I might choose the Colt Detective Special in place of the J frame, and I’d choose the Thompson as my NFA choice.
It’s interesting how similar some of my current choices are. I carry a 642 daily as a BUG and I have a 5” 629. I have a Kimber Desert Warrior that was carried daily until we switched to M&P40s.

P30
12-22-2023, 06:14 PM

2. Browning Hi-Power
4. AR-15

https://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/b/b5/BHC_22.jpg/1200px-BHC_22.jpg

Source: imfdb.org/wiki/Beverly_Hills_Cop_(1984) (https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Beverly_Hills_Cop_(1984)#Browning_Hi-Power)

Noah
12-22-2023, 06:18 PM
1995!

NPE: G26
Main Pistol: G19
Shotgun: Benelli Super 90
Rifle: AWB, so the Benelli... with slugs
Adventure: Ruger Blackhawk
NFA: MP5SD
Other: another G19

If I'm limited to 10 round mags and I believe the caliber wars, maybe a USP40C.

Stephanie B
12-22-2023, 06:26 PM
Folks:

Things were a little limited back then. A lot of the ammo choices and cartridges didn't exist back when I was born.

1. Colt Agent with hammer shroud.
2. S&W Model 1950 Military in .44 Special, 4", with SWC gas-checked loads ~ 1,000 FPS. There was a young cop in Texas back in the day who might have had some recommendations.
3. Browning Auto-5 in either 12 gauge or 16 gauge.
4. Sporterized 1903A3 with Williams peepsight. I'd unscrew the aperture for shorter ranges to make it more of a ghost-ring.
5. S&W .357 Magnum 5".
6. Suomi KP-31.
7. Dunno. 20mm antitank rifle?

FNFAN
12-22-2023, 06:48 PM
Fun thread!

1- The Everywhere: Without doubt the S&W 642 .38 Spl
2- The Primary: Wilson EDC X9 standard size
3- The Gauge: Remington 870P
4- The Rifle: Steyr full stock in .243
5- The Adventurer: S&W 629 Carry Comp .44 Magnum
6- The NFA: Carl Gustaf M/45 is my favorite subgun
7- The Wildcard: Wilson EDC X9s

theJanitor
12-22-2023, 06:55 PM
70's baby here, and what's crazy(?) is that I'm currently using exactly what would be on the list. I only own one revolver, one, shotgun, and one bolt action. So I'm pretty true to the list.

J frame
Custom Colt 1911 (birth year)
Custom HiPower (birth year)
M70 - 30-06
Remington 1100
AR15

fatdog
12-22-2023, 07:26 PM
'58

1.“Always Guns”/Non-Permissive Environment Guns: Colt Agent
2. Primary Defensive Handgun: Colt 1911, Kings sights and their standard work up
3. Defensive Shotgun: Auto 5 or Remington 11 (same gun different makers)
4. Rifle: Full length stock, Steyr Manlicher, .30-06
5. Adventuring Gun: S&W M27 3.5"" with factory grip adapter
6. National Firearms Act Weapons: Colt Monitor
7. “Other”: the new S&W M19 custom cut down to 3" barrel by Kings

Lon
12-22-2023, 07:31 PM
Pictures people, pictures. Yom Kippur War baby here.

1. Always Gun: Colt Agent w Bobbed hammer.

2. Primary Defensive Gun: Swenson BHP like this, but with a gold bead front sight

3. Defensive Shotgun: Browning A5 Police Special

4. Rifle: HK G3 w/ collapsable stock

5. Adventuring gun: H&H Royal double rifle

6. NFA: Colt Monitor.

7. Other: HK VP-70

SeriousStudent
12-22-2023, 07:48 PM
!950's era here.

Bruce, I have your Number 4 in my possession now. It's a pre-1964 Winchester Super Grade in 30-06. I snagged a old "period-correct" set of gear for it. A Weaver K-4 scope made in El Paso, Bucheimer hand-tools leather case and a matching cobra sling.

I will have to send you some pics.

Please say hello to your son for me. It was great to meet both of you at Revolver Roundup. I hope you and yours have a safe and Merry Christmas!

Wondering Beard
12-22-2023, 10:25 PM

I'm in Bruce's age bracket and my choices would be similar with the difference that my outlook, now and then, would be towards light, handy and fast into action.

1) Same. The Centenial 442 (pre-lock) is the only revolver I own and I will never sell it.
2) 1911 customized by someone like Swenson (and flat mainspring housing); preference for a Lightweight Commander but a Gov't Model would work just fine.
3) I don't know what shotguns were available back then but whatever the equivalent of the Remington 870 existed; I am familiar with the use of pumps but not semi autos.
4) Light and Handy is the name of the game here for me, so a Winchester 94 in 30-30. It's very common and I also love (then and now) westerns.
5) Three possibilities. A Hi Power as 9mm ammo is available everywhere and 13rds on board is nice to have; a S&W 27 as 357 Magnum power is good to have in those "faraway places", probably in 3 1/2"; a S&W 19 (called the Combat Magnum back then right?) a 4 inch or cut to three inches, because again 357 magnum plus light and handy.
6) If it's time to go cyclic then my life would have taken an extremely strange and bad turn. Let's go for high destruction in spite of the weight: Colt Monitor.
7) I have a hard time imagining what shooting needs would be filled by "other". So let's go with "things are really bad" and choose at minimum a bag full of grenades or, better, claymores.

Elwin
12-22-2023, 11:08 PM
Very cool idea, especially since the wide range of ages in membership builds in variety.

Second millennial to reply - I was born in the early '90s.

1. Always Gun - The SW 642 was just hitting the market and would be the new hotness for this role.
2. Primary Defensive Handgun - A customized 1911 in .45. The works for a custom gun, with a buried Bomar rear paired with as narrow a gold bead front as possible.
3. Defensive Shotgun - Gunsite style 870. Ghost ring sights, mag extension, shortened stock, sidesaddle, and whatever the least bad option of the time was for a light (probably a jerry rigged Surefire/pressure pad combo).
4. Rifle - This was the easiest one. A take on the state-of-the-art Delta carbines of the time. Civilian M4 with an Aimpoint Comp M3, a Surefire, a two-point sling, and lots of tape and improvised hardware.
5. Adventuring Gun - The Steyr Scout wasn't quite available yet. Since I can't have that, it'll have to be a custom scout rifle, probably built on a surplus Mauser action. Chambered in .308 with a synthetic stock.
6. National Firearms Act Weapons - I think the MP5 is still king of subguns at this point in history. We'll add an improvised Surefire rig to that too.
7. Other - Ruger Mk. II with a suppressor, because I can.

Lon
12-22-2023, 11:27 PM
You guys are lame. All these cool guns you’re talking about and no pictures. Thats what threads like this are about (or should be).

oregon45
12-22-2023, 11:43 PM
Third millennial to reply; I was born in '81.

1. Always Gun -S&W Centennial
2. Primary Defensive Handgun - Swenson tuned Colt Combat Commander, 45 ACP, full hard chrome with ambi-safety, texture on the top of the slide, S&W rear sight--just drag that Colt through the Swenson catalog and call it good. I handled a Swenson Colt just like that back in 2010. It wasn't for sale. :(
3. Defensive Shotgun - Ithaca 37 riot gun; 18" barrel, parkerized.
4. Rifle - Colt XM177E2 (Model 629), iron sights.
5. Adventuring Gun - Winchester Model 1886 extra light weight, 45-70, with a Lyman receiver sight and gold-faced sourdough front blade.
6. National Firearms Act Weapons - Colt Monitor, as an investment :)
7. Other - In 1981 IHMSA was pretty popular, and I would have loved to have had all of the old school silhouette guns from Wichita, Merrill, Sako, Weatherby, Remington, Thompson/Center, Ruger, etc.

TGS
12-22-2023, 11:57 PM
1. Always Gun - S&W Model 37.

2. Primary Defensive Handgun - H&K P7. All other choices are inferior.

3. Defensive Shotgun - 870 Police Magnum

4. Rifle - H&K SL7: 1980s practical tactical.

5. Adventuring Gun - Mauser 98, 20"-22" bbl Stutzen configuration in 6.5x55 and a claw mount Zeiss scope.

6. National Firearms Act Weapons - Ultimax 100. If you don't know what this is, you are part of the world's problem.

7. Other - A second H&K P7 for when the first one is cooling after three mags of practice.

Lon
12-23-2023, 12:06 AM

5. Adventuring Gun - Mauser 98, 20"-22" bbl Stutzen configuration in 6.5x55 and a claw mount Zeiss scope.

6. National Firearms Act Weapons - Ultimax 100. If you don't know what this is, you are part of the world's problem.

7. Other - A second H&K P7 for when the first one is cooling after three mags of practice.

Man, I haven’t thought about an Ultimax in years. Good choice. For you heathens:

This one sold for $54k in ‘19.

okie john
12-23-2023, 12:22 AM
Same age range as the OP for me. Being of significant means at that time means usually wearing a suit or jacket and tie, which simplifies concealment.

Gun #1: S&W Model 38—I want the ability to cock the hammer even though the 2023 version of me knows that’s a pointless affectation. Otherwise, it should be built to the OP’s specifications. No sense in messing with perfection.
Gun #2: Colt 1911, built to the OP’s specifications. Again, no sense in messing with perfection.
Gun #3: Per the OP’s specifications, for the usual reason.
Gun #4: Model 70 Winchester Featherweight in 30-06 with Redfield 4x scope zeroed at 200 yards with 180-grain Winchester PowerPoints.
Gun #5: 5” Model 29 S&W as per the OP’s specs but with plain walnut Jordan Troopers.
Gun #6: Thompson 1928A1 plus a Browning M-1918 BAR for more challenging situations.
Gun #7: Both per the OP’s specifications, for the usual reason.

Okie John

MountainRaven
12-23-2023, 01:54 AM
You guys are lame. All these cool guns you’re talking about and no pictures. Thats what threads like this are about (or should be).

As you wish.

The Everywhere
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1188006555438813225/1188006607129415680/h2863-l269518571_original-jpg.png

The Primary
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1188006555438813225/1188006720572751982/img_1005-scaled.png

The Gauge
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1188006555438813225/1188009890258620417/benelli_m1_super90.png

The Rifle
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1188006555438813225/1188008735512203316/gr000000.png

The Adventurer
(a)
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1188006555438813225/1188007973612683304/fn-rhodesian-bush-war-rifle-deactivated-r-10-000-61001118_large.png
(b)
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1188006555438813225/1188008253796397056/wm_9343427.png

The NFA
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1188006555438813225/1188010909105397792/DSCF0579.png

The Wildcard
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1188006555438813225/1188011520039329812/450px-M72_law.png

Totem Polar
12-23-2023, 02:26 AM
#1 Walther TPH (introduced in 1968, like me…)

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/569ea8250ab37781807f6945/1690225450722-4SW52NRZOT1BAHQRPZG8/23092_02.jpg?format=1000w

#2 S&W model 15 combat masterpiece (the sights would let me take advantage of Lee Jurras’ new “Super Vel” 110gr JHPs)

https://www.proxibid.com/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.proxibid.com%2FAuct ionImages%2F4840%2F164055%2F243.jpg&w=1200&q=75

#3 Ithaca Model 37 Deer Slayer Police
Special (the rifle sighted riot gun )

https://www.imfdb.org/images/e/e0/Ithaca37_DSPS.jpg

#4 Marlin 336 carbine in 35 Remington

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/prodimages/336Classic/hero.jpg

#5 pre-64 70 African Super Grade in 458 Winchester

https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/6203/221823/114296826_1_x.jpg?height=300&quality=95&version=1633998029&width=600

#6 RPK with 75-round drum

https://photo.weaponsystems.net/image/s-carousel/n-fa_mg_rpk_p02.jpg/--/img/ws/fa_mg_rpk_p02.jpg

#7 Ruger flatgate single-six

https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/G0323-Campfire-2.jpg

MistWolf
12-23-2023, 03:57 AM
https://www.wallpaperup.com/uploads/wallpapers/2015/04/17/663713/511fdfe37a415d3e73c431afaa492754.jpg

https://historicalarms.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1f8939018a2ce8e807b72dbd0c6795ec/4/4/4455b.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1524/1342/products/ON1527__02.jpg?v=1571454223

https://thegunstore-cy.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/1094L-a-denix-Flintlock-blunderbuss-England-18th-C.jpg

https://kateminimalist.com/cdn/shop/products/31ZP0_YE5dL_large.jpg?v=1699442823

Bucky
12-23-2023, 07:19 AM
I’ll play, circa late 1960s.

1. SW “body guard” 38.
2. 1911
3. 870
4. AR15
5. Springfield 1903
6. MP5
7. SW Model 29

Duelist
12-23-2023, 09:02 AM

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/569ea8250ab37781807f6945/1690225450722-4SW52NRZOT1BAHQRPZG8/23092_02.jpg?format=1000w

#2 S&W model 15 combat masterpiece (the sights would let me take advantage of Lee Jurras’ new “Super Vel” 110gr JHPs)

https://www.proxibid.com/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.proxibid.com%2FAuct ionImages%2F4840%2F164055%2F243.jpg&w=1200&q=75

https://www.imfdb.org/images/e/e0/Ithaca37_DSPS.jpg

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/prodimages/336Classic/hero.jpg

https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/6203/221823/114296826_1_x.jpg?height=300&quality=95&version=1633998029&width=600

https://photo.weaponsystems.net/image/s-carousel/n-fa_mg_rpk_p02.jpg/--/img/ws/fa_mg_rpk_p02.jpg

https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/G0323-Campfire-2.jpg

I really like Totem Polar and TGS’s lists, and will use some of their ideas. TGS - two or three P7M8s (or the P7 original) was my first thought for the primary pistol, but I’m too old - it wasn’t introduced yet. :(

So -
1-Always - airweight J ordered with a wider front sight than the skinny thing that they came with when I was born. 37 with a bobbed hammer spur or a 38 Bodyguard would work. Understudy/more shooting done with a Model 60 ordered with the same front sight and bobbed hammer spur, and to be belt carried IWB when needed.
2-The Model 15, a la Totem Polar, is never a bad choice, but I might hedge here and go with a Model 19 2.5” round butt. Either of those would be fine.
3-Either of those shotguns - the 870 or the Ithaca 37 - would be fine, too, but I’d probably lean to the Ithaca.
4-I really like the custom Mauser 98 idea, but would probably choose a pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in .270 Winchester, much like I already have.
5-to pack along on a hunt, my adventuring gun would be a 5” Ruger Blackhawk Flattop either in .44 Magnum or a .357 converted to .44 Special.
6-NFA - Colt AR15 that I was issued in my first Army NG unit. Basically an M16A1, but marked “Colt AR15”.
7-Other would be two things: an Ithaca 37 Featherlight Skeet in 16 or 12. Gotta hunt birds and bust clays; and a S&W M18, because .22 revolvers are a thing.

Caballoflaco
12-23-2023, 09:30 AM
Elder Millenial 1980-85

Always/NPE
S&W model 42 with a custom shop trigger job.

Primary defensive handgun
Colt Lightweight commander in .38 Super fitted with a match barrel that properly headspaces off the case mouth, built up thumb safety and beveled magwell. Trigger set with a bit of take up and clean release at 4.5lbs. Sights would be a square blades front and the rear machined for a S&W adjustable revolver sight.

Defensive Shotgun
Auto 5 with a vent-rib barrel cut down to 18.5” with an ivory bead gold mid head and threaded for a full set of briley chokes. I’d also have a mount for one of the early reflex sights I could use when I wanted.

rifle
Defensive: Steyr Aug
Hunting: pre-64 model 70 in .30-06 with 20” barrel with fixed front sight removable receiver aperature rear and a Hendsolt 4x scope with #4 German reticle in QD mounts

Adventuring
Long gun: Similar model 70 to the above in .375 h&h
Shotgun: an already old by that time top grade H&H 10bore paradox shot/ball gun with factory molds for the paradox slugs.
Handgun: S&W n-frame in .357 with 3.5” barrel and adjustable sights.

NFA
MG3 all the mg42 brrrtttt, but in 7.62 NATO

Other
A nice .22 combo of colt woodsman with good target sights and a Winchester model 62 rifle for when the first frost hits and it’s time for some squirrels, or just plinking fun.

UpDok
12-23-2023, 10:41 AM

1. S&W Centenial Airweight .38 (aluminum frame)
2. Colt 1911 Lightweight Commander loaded with 230gr. hardball, worked over by Jim Clark
3. 12 gauge Winchester 1897 Riot Gun with the bloody cheese grater handguard removed. the 97 could be pumped with the trigger held down for fast shooting.
4. Mannlicher-Schoenauer 6.5 x 54 carbine (light fast and accurate)
5. Colt Python .357 6" revolver (I'd drive up to visit Scott Hoffman's grandfather in Newington, Connecticut and pick out a good one from stock)
6. for NFA in 1956 I'd want to be one of the cool kids with a 9mm UZI with a new-fangled folding stock. I'd probably need connections with the CIA or the Mossad to get one in that time frame.
7. I'd probably carry an Italian swichblade stilleto in my pocket to intimidate the yokels and I'd drive around in a Porche 356.

SCCY Marshal
12-23-2023, 10:41 AM
1. A S&W I-frame in 32 S&W Long with boot grips, chamfered charge holes, fattened front sight blade, and widened rear. A welder and file could make the sights happen. The smaller pocket autos at the time would not pass muster for me and Js are a bit big for pants around here in the era. Loaded with wadcutters or flat nose, whichever hit to sights using factory or handloads.

2. Ruger Speed Six with 158 grain SJHP after a brief dalliance with the 125gr SJHP. Or a S&W model 58 with bobbed hammer and unholy experiments done to settle on a compact set of stocks.

3. Mossberg 500 with a fat bead of proper height to regulate with buck/slugs. Or an Ithaca model 37 set up the same.

4. Winchester '94 with 170 grain semi-jacketed soft points and possibly a peep sight if I could get my hands on one of the svelter steel units.

5. Ruger Blackhawk, New Model, in 357 Magnum to be able to ramp from small game 38 Special loads to deer thumper magnums. Yes, I could have a DA wheelgun for this; but no, I wouldn't.

6. Pass and substitute a 058 series (here I would luck out with the straight wrist and lighter barrel profile than later variants) Handi-Rifle in 30-30 with a peep sight made to work - even if I personally had to braze things on - with 20, 16, or 12 gauge barrel, both stumpy (maybe, if I felt like dealing with the NFA to make it fit in this section). And then a 22 Hornet barrel fitted.

7. A three-pack of vetted Charter Bulldogs with bobbed hammers and 2" or 2.5" barrels. One for lazy day belt carry, one for practice, and one spare. I know me and I'd have done it.

nalesq
12-23-2023, 11:55 AM
1. Smith & Wesson 37, with the hammer bobbed.
2. AMT .45 Longslide, with laser sighting
3. SPAS-12 12-gauge autoloader
4. AR-180
5. Enfield No.4 Mk1(T)
6. Uzi 9mm
7. Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TQP
12-23-2023, 01:16 PM
Born in 66.

I was surprised to see so many BAR/Monitor fans. I guess I shouldn't be. I'm the guy that, coming of age in the 80s, wanted but didn't buy an AUG, a HK VP70, and that weird High Standard shotgun. Guess what, wiki says they started making it in 1967 so it goes on the list.

1. S&W 38 and 49.

2. 1911 . And a commander in 38 Super because why not. Since it says open and concealed carry, that means my S&W model 28 goes on the list elsewhere...

3. Ithaca 37 and High Standard Model 10 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Standard_Model_10)

4. Semi: CETME/G3 . Bolt: Pre 64 model 70 in 308, to limit calibers.

5. Pre 64 model 70 in 375 H&H. 6 inch S&W model 29 . For adventures in the lower 48, 6 inch S&W model 28

6. BAR. Because BAR. To fulfill my weird quotient Stoner_63 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoner_63) .

7. Other. Given the time period, A professional-at-arms might have the opportunity to be professional in SE Asia or Africa. Given this, my 'other' category is sterile/deniable. Set 1, the "Tell me you're with Christians In Action without telling me" : the default setup of Browning High Power and Swedish K subgun. For other parts of the world, A Makarov, a Skorpion in 9x18 with a can, an AK-47, and, for funsies, a PPSH-41 with plenty of drums.

Half Moon
12-23-2023, 01:38 PM
It's a bad decade for semi-auto reliability but that's OK since I mostly favor revolvers anyways...

Always/NPE
Smith and Wesson Model 38 Bodyguard. Probably a fluke of manufacture but still the most accurate small frame snub I've ever shot was one of these.

Primary defensive handgun
Let's stick with .38 to simplify the supply chain - .38/44 Heavy Duty five-inch. Mild to (almost, but not quite) wild. The Outdoorsman is a close contender, but that extra length pushes it just a hair out of contention. Honorable mention to the Model 14 Hanen while we're at it.

Defensive Shotgun
I understand the Auto-5's and such but there's theory and then there's practice. Back in this time, the code ain't cracked yet on reliable self-loading shotguns and won't be for decades. Remington Model 870 all the way. Partridge to Grizzly and no worries about the next shot if you do your part.

Rifle
This is fantasy, right? US Model M-1D. Ought-Six repeater with glass. A bolt would be better for versatility in ammo loading but bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, TINK. What's not to love?

Adventuring
Ruger Super Blackhawk, .44 Magnum, 6 1/2". As much power as you can pack on your hip and you never know when you'll need a hip held gun for holding off hippos.

NFA
Colt Monitor or at least a BAR - putting the full ought-o in the ought-six since 1918.

Other
.22/32 Kit Gun snub because everyone should have a plinker.

Lost River
12-23-2023, 01:42 PM
Folks:

Bruce

Funny thing about Brother Bruce's list.

It is very close to what I often use these days.

#1 The J Frame. Mine being the ever present and pocketed 442.
#2 The 1911. Shown in this pic is my old 70 Series Colt. It was used a good bit for many thigs before being rebuilt and semi-retired. Though now I carry other 1911s.
#3 The Browning A-5. My Belgian beauty. There are much more modern guns, but I have never felt less than armed with this in my hands when things need to get handled.
#4 Though Bruce specifies a 30-06, I roll with the .308, primarily in my Tikka T3. I really don't think you can find a more practical off the shelf 30 cal gun being built these days.
#5 The 5" Model 29. Mine is a M29-2 I had built. Absolutely LOVE this gun. Had the trigger narrowed and serrations removed. This is perfection in a Model 29.
#6 The AR-15, in my case, this is a Colt with an ACOG and RDO mounted on top. It handles most chores from point blank, inside a house type stuff out to hundreds of yards with relative ease.
#7 The suppressed .22 Ruger MKII. This has been one I have had for about 25 years. I cannot count how many bricks it has had through it. Simply a fun little toy. Great for sitting in a lawn chair and popping pine cones while out in the woods and not disturbing anyone or making a bunch of noise.

These are guns I use frequently, so I found Bruce's selection quite interesting.

https://i.imgur.com/n9buCRTh.jpg

Now following along with the exercise, if I was going to choose something from around the time I was born (late 60s-early 70s), I would go with the following:

1 S&W Model 42 with Herrett Detective grips.
2 Colt 5" 1911 with Bomar sights. Pinned grip safety. Wide bullseye type hammer to prevent pinching. Herrett skip line checkered grips. Flat mainspring housing. beveled magwell. Small single side tab thumb safety.
3Browning Auto 5. Don't mess with success! Chop it to 18" and add rifle sights.
4 Sako Forester in .308. Topped with a fixed 6X scope. Superbly accurate and really all one would need to do most jobs expected of a rifle.
5 5" Model 29-2.
6 NFA weapon: Cut down RPD belt fed machine gun. Worked for a number of special ops units.
7 "Other" Suppressed .22 semi auto pistol. Maybe a cut down Colt Woodsman.

:)

Lon
12-23-2023, 06:28 PM
Since so many of us have chosen the A5/R11 shotgun, I thought this may be appreciated:

https://youtu.be/cXSqkOyF36c?si=9mJNYtfWIWVPOnkp

ssb
12-23-2023, 07:19 PM
Late 80s-early 90s

1) Smith and Wesson 442. It’d probably look just like the one in my pocket right now, as it’s from that era. Stocks would likely stay the original Uncle Mike’s boot grips. I don’t know what I’d do for ammo - I’d probably want full charge wadcutters or the FBI load.

2) A Colt Series 70 Government in .38 Super. Sights would be buried Bomar rear (like the Delta guns of that era) with a gold bead front. Blued, with walnut Herrett’s combat style grips, a beveled magwell, short trigger tuned for a 4lb break, flat 25 LPI mainspring housing, 25LPI checkering on the front strap, an undercut trigger guard, fit Kart match barrel, Ed Brown beavertail grip safety, commander ring hammer, and a lowered single-side safety would be the specs. The logic here is that .38 Super has enough velocity to make the hollowpoints of the era work, and I also get a few extra rounds in the gun. Leather would be from Milt Sparks because duh. A pair of Summer Specials, one for behind the hip and one straight drop, along with a 1AT for range work. I’m not up on the who’s-who of 90s smiths, but my gut says to go with Karl Sokol.

3) Remington 870 Police Magnum with 18.5” rifle sight barrel. I’d send the barrel out to some guy named Hans Vang. In a perfect world, a custom set of sights would be added: a large gold bead front with a pistol rear, perhaps .150” in width. I’d likely stay with the original wood furniture, though the stock would be chopped to 12.5” and the butt pad would have an angle cut towards the top for faster shouldering. In a few years I’d hopefully have the good sense to pick up one of those fancy new Laser Products forends. I’d have the gun parkerized if it didn’t already come that way.

4) Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum. I’d have a Leupold 2.5x mounted.

5) Smith and Wesson Model 27 with 5” barrel. I’d add a set of Herrett’s Roper stocks sized to my hand and have the trigger swapped for a narrow one with the grooves removed. A decent action job, a press, and a steady supply of primers and Alliant 2400 would top things off. Sights would remain as is: black on black. More Sparks leather here: the 200AW, ideally in both cross draw and strong side.

6) The NFA item would be a registered auto sear for the HK 9X family. As time and budget allows, a 94, 93, and 91 would be all be added. Add a claw mount and an Aimpoint 2000 for each rifle, which I would hopefully have the good sense to upgrade to a 5000 in a few years.

7) I think where I’d land would be a West German P226 and a pile of mags, given what’s on the horizon in a few years. Honorable mention goes to a 2.5” Smith Model 19, dressed with Herrett’s Shooting Stars and perhaps with a gold bead added.

Totem Polar
12-23-2023, 07:46 PM
Honorable mention to the Model 14 Hanen...

Oh hell... is there still time to change my mod 15 vote?

BN
12-23-2023, 08:49 PM
This is an interesting and fun thread. I wish more of you would announce your years.

I was born in 1945. I was interested in guns early because of all the westerns on TV through the 50s. I was all about cars through the 60s and started becoming seriously interested in guns around 1970 or a little before. Most of you don't realize how few choices we had back then. There was very little written about handguns in the gun magazines. This was pre-internet. Lots of hunting rifles and shotguns.

Pistol competitions at the time were Bullseye or PPC for LEO only. Nothing else except in very rare occasions.

Shooters today are very fortunate in what is available to them.

Le Français
12-23-2023, 09:12 PM
[Photos of flintlocks]

Much obliged for a good laugh after a long day.

rcbusmc24
12-23-2023, 09:24 PM
Born in 1982

1 - S&W Model 49
2 - Colt Pachmayr Combat Special 1911
3 - Remington 870 police magnum
4 - 50.63 FN FAL
5 - S&W Model 25 4 inch 45 LC
6 - H&K MP-5 or Steyr AUG
7 - All of the S&W revolvers that I wish my dad had bought instead of a boat...

Malamute
12-23-2023, 09:32 PM
In thinking about this I came to the realization thats id probably use pretty much what I still have or use.

Late 50s-early 60s period

1. “Always Guns”/Non-Permissive Environment Guns:

Colt Agent or Cobra.

S&W model 19 4"

3. Defensive Shotgun:

Im not much of a shotgun guy, Ill trade this slot for a rebarreled Winchester 92 in 44 magnum caliber, barrel cut to 16 1/2", Lyman 56 receiver sight, sling.

4. Rifle:

Nicely sporterized 1903 Springfield with Weaver K-4 glass, probably Bueler mounts with Lyman receiver sight set up, zero-ed, then the slide stashed under the butt pad, sourdough blade front. 22"

5. Adventuring Gun: This may require an 1886 carbine in 45-70 and heavy handloads and a Winchester 94 early type carbine or special order short rifle. Both with Lyman 56 receiver sights and sourdough blade front sights, slings. A Smith model 29 4" would also be in the category.

6. National Firearms Act Weapons: Toss up between a 1921 Thompson or Colt SAA pistol carbine, 9-12" barrel with shoulder stock and carbine type sight.

7. “Other”: An S&W K-22 has to be in here somewhere for general practice and small game hunting, and probably a Marlin 39 22 rifle. A scoped bolt action 22 rifle is also pretty handy and good practice. Id be hard pressed to excuse a Colt SAA 4 3/4" 44 spl or 45 from the lineup, it could be in the adventure or defensive/carry category.

Bruce Cartwright
12-23-2023, 10:10 PM
!950's era here.

Bruce, I have your Number 4 in my possession now. It's a pre-1964 Winchester Super Grade in 30-06. I snagged a old "period-correct" set of gear for it. A Weaver K-4 scope made in El Paso, Bucheimer hand-tools leather case and a matching cobra sling.

I will have to send you some pics.

Please say hello to your son for me. It was great to meet both of you at Revolver Roundup. I hope you and yours have a safe and Merry Christmas!

Serious Student:

I will happily pass the word to my son. We should see him tomorrow after he clears work. Likewise, I hope you have a great Christmas as well.

I have a thing for Model 70s. The gentleman who taught me how to handload served in Uncle Sam's Misguided Children in the Pacific as a sniper. His influence was what drove me to the Model 70. That said, pre-64 Model 70s, especially the Supergrade guns are a whole 'nother world of cool. I would love to see yours, especially with the period correct gear.

Hopefully I'll see you at next year's Roundup. We'll need to break bread or have an adult beverage by a campfire and discuss the merits of Model 70s!

Bruce

Lon
12-23-2023, 10:16 PM
For all you Colt Monitor fans. The Cutts compensator was almost too efficient. Good video at the end of video.
https://youtu.be/Jb6C9ASylmQ?si=lIfmgKc_n9NVFVQU

BWT
12-24-2023, 12:54 AM
Being from the late 80’s.

1. “Always Guns”/Non-Permissive Environment Guns: S&W J-Frame
2. Primary Defensive Handgun: Glock 17
3. Defensive Shotgun: Mossberg 500
4. Rifle: Colt AR15-A2
5. Adventuring Gun: Winchester model 70 chambered in 30-06.
6. National Firearms Act Weapons: Stoner 63 in Commando configuration.
7. “Other”: M134 - if I’m going into the professional world and a Stoner 63 can’t do it this will.

This was fun!

TQP
12-24-2023, 01:10 AM
5. Adventuring Gun: This may require an 1886 carbine in 45-70 and heavy handloads and a Winchester 94 early type carbine or special order short rifle. Both with Lyman 56 receiver sights and sourdough blade front sights, slings. A Smith model 29 4" would also be in the category.

I was going to put an 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 on my list but my minimal research couldn't tell me if it would have been available at the time. I remember really wanting one at the time when they reintroduced them.

JRB
12-24-2023, 03:53 AM
1982:

1. Always Gun: 2in Colt Detective Special, probably a 3rd Series.

2. Primary Defensive Handgun: Beretta 92SB or a Colt Gov't model 1911 that Mr. Pachmayr worked his magic on, in .45 ACP of course. Honorable mention for an HK P7 PSP!
Given the concealment holsters and methods common of that era, I might have to stick to a 1911 or HK P7. I probably wouldn't be able to effectively conceal a full size 92 without a custom AIWB holster of some kind.

3. Defensive Shotgun: Benelli M1 121 Tactical - 7rnd semiauto 12ga with rifle sights and a cyl bore choke, these things kick like crazy but they were way ahead of their time! Given the timeframe, most likely it'd be an HK import with wood furniture. So long as the recoil system could accommodate it with a sensible LOP, I'd probably have a stockmaker trim the stock down and add a recoil pad, as unsightly as the available ones were back then.

4. Rifle: Steyr SSG-69 in 7.62 NATO, likely with a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 or similar scope.

5. Adventuring Gun: A factory 5in S&W 29-2 with Herretts, possibly made by Steve Herrett himself given the timeframe. Smooth trigger and a nice action job of course! For a long gun, a Pre-64 Win model 70 in .375 H&H.

6. National Firearms Act Weapons: Tough call - MP5SD3, HK G3K, or FNC Carbine if I could get anything that new and exotic at the time. Otherwise, a Colt 653, Ruger AC-556K, or M3A1 Grease Gun with a MAC or Ceiner suppressor would serve well!

7. “Other”: An integrally suppressed Ruger MKI or similar .22LR, perhaps one of the MAC MKI's but with the suppressor modified to be serviceable.

Bucky
12-24-2023, 06:54 AM
1. Smith & Wesson 37, with the hammer bobbed.
2. AMT .45 Longslide, with laser sighting
3. SPAS-12 12-gauge autoloader
4. AR-180
5. Enfield No.4 Mk1(T)
6. Uzi 9mm
7. Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

Hey, just what you see, pal! :D

Funny enough, I was going to put that as my #7 (I see you did more than one), but then remembered I needed a spot for a .44 magnum.

FNFAN
12-24-2023, 07:53 AM
3. Defensive Shotgun: Benelli M1 121 Tactical - 7rnd semiauto 12ga with rifle sights and a cyl bore choke, these things kick like crazy but they were way ahead of their time! Given the timeframe, most likely it'd be an HK import with wood furniture. So long as the recoil system could accommodate it with a sensible LOP, I'd probably have a stockmaker trim the stock down and add a recoil pad, as unsightly as the available ones were back then.

You're correct that they let you know when they go off! Supposedly the fastest cycling semi-auto shotgun. I have a Decelerator pad inbound for mine. Won't have to cut the stock as I wear 37" sleeve dress shirts. The thing smokes clays from the 16 yard line like they're deadly foes. (Not my picture)

Rick R
12-24-2023, 09:50 AM
1960ish

1+2 Defensive handgunnery- BHP with as close to a Novak massage as I could get on it. I have carried mine under a tucked in button up shirt in NPE circumstances, but I’m a large mammal.

3 Defensive shotgunnery- Winchester Model 12 20” IC choke, solid rib barrel with ivory front bead. 6+1 capacity and the ability to go slam fire if needed. The M-12’s takedown feature means it can travel well too.

4 + 5 Rifle- Type A Mauser in 9.3x62 with a 4x scope in claw mounts

6 NFA- Odd, I really can’t think of anything

7 Other- Winchester Model 21 SxS in 28” 12ga for hunting when you need to look like a gentleman.

Malamute
12-24-2023, 10:26 AM
I was going to put an 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 on my list but my minimal research couldn't tell me if it would have been available at the time. I remember really wanting one at the time when they reintroduced them.

The new version of the 1895 based on the 336 action came out in the mid 70s. It was a 22" barrel half magazine, semi-crescent butt. I dont recall when they started doing the other variants like guide gun, but think it was probably mid 80s?

I had an early one, but have to say once I laid hands on an 1886 I never looked back.

Edit: Re-reading the original post, the being of considerable means would influence me to have many of my choices be engraved by the factory or high quality master engraver. Modest use of gold bands where appropriate.

BobM
12-24-2023, 10:31 AM
The new version of the 1895 based on the 336 action came out in the mid 70s. It was a 22" barrel half magazine, semi-crescent butt. I dont recall when they started doing the other variants like guide gun, but think it was probably mid 80s?

I had an early one, but have to say once I laid hands on an 1886 I never looked back.

The Guide Gun came out in the late 90s, I bought a lightly used one in early 99.

JRB
12-24-2023, 12:18 PM
You're correct that they let you know when they go off! Supposedly the fastest cycling semi-auto shotgun. I have a Decelerator pad inbound for mine. Won't have to cut the stock as I wear 37" sleeve dress shirts. The thing smokes clays from the 16 yard line like they're deadly foes. (Not my picture)

My late uncle had one - and it was the shotgun I used the first time I ever shot clays! I was 12 or 13 and while it made me work to swing it and it kicked hard, for accuracy I felt like it was a cheat code. My brain could deal with rifle sights so much easier than a bead for some reason. I also remember both my Dad and my Uncle scratching their heads at the patterning range, because it shot very tight patterns for being a cyl choke.
My Dad brought his 11-87 that was set up as his bird gun, and while he was absolutely lethal with it, and it was a lot nicer on one's shoulder, it was a lot less consistent on hits for me.
By the end of the session I was routinely hitting doubles from the harder stations with the M1 121. We brought something like 25 boxes of birdshot and and went home with maybe 2 boxes. My shoulder had a bruise that looked exactly like the buttplate on that 121 but I had a grin on my face... very happy memories!
My uncle ended up trading up into an M1 Super 90 sometime later, and my Dad has that shotgun now. But I always wanted to find a wood stocked M1 121 just for the nostalgia of good times at the trap range and out hunting turkeys with my Dad and my Uncle.

Malamute
12-24-2023, 12:30 PM
My brain could deal with rifle sights so much easier than a bead for some reason...

I shot an 870 with factory slug barrel with sights at skeet with dad. The traditionalists didnt like it, but when just with a group of friends having fun, Id shoot it and did well. I also shot a savage 24 camp gun some (22 over 20 ga break open), I had him throw the second bird on report, I could reload it most of the time and get the second bird. He never understood how I could shoot rifle sights on skeet or clays in general, it seemed easier to me. On fast stuff Ive mostly looked just over rifle/pistol sights, same as most do with shotguns, or at least how I always thought people did with shotgun bead sights.

SeriousStudent
12-24-2023, 07:24 PM
Serious Student:

I will happily pass the word to my son. We should see him tomorrow after he clears work. Likewise, I hope you have a great Christmas as well.

I have a thing for Model 70s. The gentleman who taught me how to handload served in Uncle Sam's Misguided Children in the Pacific as a sniper. His influence was what drove me to the Model 70. That said, pre-64 Model 70s, especially the Supergrade guns are a whole 'nother world of cool. I would love to see yours, especially with the period correct gear.

Hopefully I'll see you at next year's Roundup. We'll need to break bread or have an adult beverage by a campfire and discuss the merits of Model 70s!

Bruce

You have a deal, good sir! :)

And I am not sure I mentioned it before we all fishtailed out of the parking lot, but I really enjoyed your presentation Monday morning on the guns and gear of the Bureau. I have a 3" Model 10 that Wayne Dobbs believes passed through the armorer's hands at Quantico. I'll bring it next year for you to shoot.

Hambo
12-25-2023, 08:01 AM

1. Lots of choices in that era, all bad. I could go with Bond's 418, but I think the best choice would have been a Colt 1908 .380.
2. Colt Commander, .45 or .38 Super
3. High Standard K120 riot gun
4. Pre-64 M70 in .338 or .375
5. A used pre-war S&W .357
6. MAT-49, a backpack subgun
7. A double rifle, .450 or larger

Dov
12-25-2023, 10:30 AM
Folks:

Bruce

Really think ammo selection for the time period should be mentioned as well.

Though I'm not certain what year some loads like Federal BP & BPLE came out in.

Bruce Cartwright
12-26-2023, 01:10 PM
You have a deal, good sir! :)

And I am not sure I mentioned it before we all fishtailed out of the parking lot, but I really enjoyed your presentation Monday morning on the guns and gear of the Bureau. I have a 3" Model 10 that Wayne Dobbs believes passed through the armorer's hands at Quantico. I'll bring it next year for you to shoot.

Serious Student:

I am glad you liked the presentation. DB asked me to do that and it turned out to be a heck of a lot of fun assembling all the photos and gear. I didn't realize the extent to what I had accumulated over the years.

I will hold you to seeing/shooting your Model 10. There are some subtle things Bureau gunsmiths did to the revolvers that went through the Personally Owned Weapon ("POW") program. The S&W Model 19 I was carrying when I gave the power point presentation, was a POW gun. Hopefully at years round up we can schedule a range for Monday morning to let folks try these guns out. These type of guns were the state of the art of fighting revolvers. The Bureau Gun Vault and other departments' armorers' and gunsmiths did similar things. Most of those subtle modifications are being lost to a generation raised on plastic guns. Hence the reason for the Roundup.

Bruce

Bruce Cartwright
12-26-2023, 01:32 PM
Really think ammo selection for the time period should be mentioned as well.

Though I'm not certain what year some loads like Federal BP & BPLE came out in.

Dov:

Actually, that isn't a bad idea. Here is my selection, per category:

1. Always Gun: 38 Special full charge wadcutter. This was a factory loaded round using a target wadcutter over 3.5 grains of Bullseye (which was the standard loading for the 158-grain lead round nose bullet of the day). For reloads, I'd still probably carry the same full charge wadcutters in a 2X2 pouch.

2. Full Size Defensive Handgun: I picked a 1911. My choice would be Winchester Super X 230 full metal jacket ammo which was loaded to about 925 feet per second. Col. Cooper talks about this load in his book: "Fighting Handguns" I believe. It is a heavier load than standard GI ball. Remember this is the early 60s, so Super Vel had not yet come out.

3. Shotguns: Simple 9 pellet 00 buck and 1-ounce Foster type slugs. Not much has changed since the time of my birth. If you can shoot, these loads get the job done.

4. Rifle: My choice was a Winchester Super Grade Model 70 in 30-06. My load would probably be a Winchester Super X 30-06 round loaded with 180 grain bullets. Again, not fancy, but very effective.

5. Adventuring Gun: My pick was a S&W Model 29 with a five-inch barrel. I would have two loads, both handloaded. The one that would see most use would consist of a 44 magnum case, standard large pistol primer, 9 or so grains of Unique and a 250 grain Keith hard cast bullet (Lyman #429421). This will shoot through a whole bunch of whatever gets in front of it. If I need "more" then it would be the same recipe but with 21 grains of Hercules 2400 powder. Velocities for the Unique load would be 1,050 feet per second ("FPS") and 1,250 FPS for the 2400 load. Since this is a time in America before the lawyers terrified everybody, I really wouldn't give a damn about carrying handloads.

6. NFA Weapons: I picked two: An Armalite AR-15 and a H&K MP5. The load for the AR-15 would be factory 55 grain full metal jacket. The MP5 would get fed factory loaded N.A.T.O. 124 grain full metal jacket ammo. Since I am of significant means, as much as I enjoy handloading, I would lay in a stupidly large amount of factory ammo. Think pallet quantities here. While the ballistics of these rounds in terms of stopping threats is not up to today's standards, I would apply the "P" principle-Plenty. it's like voting in Chicago, do it early and often.

7. European Defensive Handgun: I picked the Browning Hi Power. The load would again be N.A.T.O. 124 grain factory ball. For the Walther PPK pocket pistol, it would also be factory 7.65 (32 Automatic Colt Pistol ["ACP]).

Hope that clarifies things a bit. What are your choices?

Bruce

wrmettler
12-26-2023, 05:20 PM
I was born in late 1946, literally 10 months after my dad was discharged from the US Army in Fort Indiantown Gap Pennsylvania.

So, the immediate post-war period for me.

1. A S&W M10 with a 3-2" barrel.

2. A Colt 1911, standard government model. No other options at that time.

3. A Browning A5, 12 Guage, but with a longer barrel, perhaps 24-26 inch. I might carefully consider a Winchester M1897 12 gauge. I like that shotgun.

4. A Remington ‘03A3. Reliable and accurate enough.

5. A toss-up. Depends where I’m going adventuring. Either a prewar Winchester M70 30 06 or a S&W 44 Hand Ejector 1st Model New Century, the Triple Lock, 5” in .44 Special.

If to Alaska to pretend I’m Dick Proennecke or to the African Plains, the M70. If to Cairo or the head of the Nile, the S&W.

6. A Browning Automatic Rifle. If I could find an M16 with the M2s still mounted, I might take that.

7. My grail gun: A Colt SAA in .45 Long Colt. No question.

A very difficult proposition. It's "Old-Timey" and there are a lot better options within the last 40 years. Good Thread.

Totem Polar
12-26-2023, 10:55 PM
Hope that clarifies things a bit. What are your choices?

I already mentioned Super Vel 110-grainers at well over 1100fps from something like a 4” 15 (or 14).

For the TPH and Single-Six, I note that CCI mini-mags were a thing by 1963. Simple.

http://www.sportingcollectibles.com/boxes/b8598CCI.jpg

For the mod 37, anyone’s OO buck would do.

For the 336, any of the 200gr soft points around in the late 60s are fine, although, it seems apropos to look at Remington’s own Core-lokt version.

For the 70 African, gonna have to go with the original 510gr soft point loading by Winchester (ouch!).

RPK? The lacquered steel case stuff (57-N-231SL) came along in the early 60s, so no reason to swim upstream there, either.

:)

Duelist
12-27-2023, 01:08 AM
I really like Totem Polar and TGS’s lists, and will use some of their ideas. TGS - two or three P7M8s (or the P7 original) was my first thought for the primary pistol, but I’m too old - it wasn’t introduced yet. :(

So -
1-Always - airweight J ordered with a wider front sight than the skinny thing that they came with when I was born. 37 with a bobbed hammer spur or a 38 Bodyguard would work. Understudy/more shooting done with a Model 60 ordered with the same front sight and bobbed hammer spur, and to be belt carried IWB when needed.
2-The Model 15, a la Totem Polar, is never a bad choice, but I might hedge here and go with a Model 19 2.5” round butt. Either of those would be fine.
3-Either of those shotguns - the 870 or the Ithaca 37 - would be fine, too, but I’d probably lean to the Ithaca.
4-I really like the custom Mauser 98 idea, but would probably choose a pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in .270 Winchester, much like I already have.
5-to pack along on a hunt, my adventuring gun would be a 5” Ruger Blackhawk Flattop either in .44 Magnum or a .357 converted to .44 Special.
6-NFA - Colt AR15 that I was issued in my first Army NG unit. Basically an M16A1, but marked “Colt AR15”.
7-Other would be two things: an Ithaca 37 Featherlight Skeet in 16 or 12. Gotta hunt birds and bust clays; and a S&W M18, because .22 revolvers are a thing.

Late 60s/early 70s - Gen X.

1 - 2” .38 - Wadcutters for the carry load, probably 130gr FMJ for speed strips. Wadcutters for admin reload, FMJ for “speed” reloads.
2 - 2.5”-4” K frame - Factory .38 Special 158gr LSWCHP for most things. 125gr semi jacketed hollow points would also be useful. One of the advantages of the K frame with adjustable sights, especially if it is a .357, is the versatility available in the ammunition, even back then. I have reloading manuals from the era with a plethora of useful loads in various bullet designs and weights.
3 - 00 buck, and slugs. Repeat as needed.
4 - a variety of loads, as needed. One of the advantages, again, of using such a rifle and cartridge is the versatility available by changing ammunition. I originally said .270 Winchester, and I am happy with that choice. But I would likely be just as happy with a 7mm Mauser or .30-06, when judicious load choices are applied.
5 - A mix of mild and warm .44 Special loads, much as I load and use now.
6 - 55gr 5.56 FMJ service ammunition. Lots of it, lots of magazines. Nothing exotic needed - hunting would be done with the Model 70. If i needed to hunt with a .22 centerfire, I would grab a .22 Hornet bolt action and use that.
7 - 4, 6, and 7.5-8 shot game loads for the various small game with the shotgun. Match .22 for accuracy applications, Mini Mags for hunting applications with the .22 revolver. Stack up a bunch of factory game loads for the shotgun and both types of .22LR \ for the revolver. Try to wear both out.

CSW
12-27-2023, 07:15 AM
Hmmmm.

Smith model 36, or Colt dick special.
A Colt commander, 45acp. If unavailable, a Smith 4" model 10.
Winchester model 12, 16 gauge.
The M1a-M14. <OR> Winchester model 94.
The Savage 99, in 300-Savage.
The Grail....Browning Hi Power, with detachable stock.
NFA> A Thompson M1928-A1

Stephanie B
12-27-2023, 08:59 AM
Things were a little limited back then. A lot of the ammo choices and cartridges didn't exist back when I was born.

Ammo choices added and emphasized (though I did do it for one). AFAIK, JHP handgun bullets didn't exist. Additional thoughts are underlined.

1. Colt Agent with hammer shroud. Wadcutters.
2. S&W Model 1950 Military in .44 Special, 4", with SWC gas-checked loads ~ 1,000 FPS. There was a young cop in Texas back in the day who might have had some recommendations.
3. Browning Auto-5 in either 12 gauge or 16 gauge. 00 Buckshot.
4. Sporterized 1903A3 with Williams peepsight. I'd unscrew the aperture for shorter ranges to make it more of a ghost-ring. Might go to the leading edge and put on a Weaver K-4. 150-grn soft-nosed cartridges.
5. S&W .357 Magnum 5". Hard-cast SWC Keith-type. With the kind of money available (per the OP's parameters), there may have been some custom loaders making interesting stuff.
6. Suomi KP-31. SMG-power ball ammo.
7. Dunno. 20mm antitank rifle?

Cecil Burch
01-05-2024, 06:04 PM
My birth year was 1964, so I have some decent choices.

1) Colt Agent or Cobra with hammer shroud

2) A Gaylord “Metropolitan Special” - a Colt Police Positive in 38sp with a 3” barrel, a birdshead grip, and a couple of other tweaks.

3) Same as Bruce - a slightly altered Browning A5 set up the same way as he wrote.

4) Krag 30-40 carbine sporterized. It would be cut down to a 19” barrel, the stock would have a LOP of 13”, have a ghost ring rear sight, and the rest of the wood would be trimmed as much as possible to get it as sleek as possible. That would be a great do-it-all rifle that would not beat you up, but could take any North American game with only Moose and Brown Bear as the exceptions. And it just may be I have this exact rifle in my safe right now……

5) Colt or S&W 1917 in 45acp - if we are looking for an adventuring gun, then there is nothing more adventure-y than Indiana Jones’ sidearm

6) Sterling submachine gun in 9mm - I got to run one in a Chuck Taylor class for an entire day in 1985. Great gun, easy to shoot, and I have no idea why it does not get more chat in the gun community.

7) Classic double rifle in 9.3x74r - because it would be cool to have a safari rifle

I could also argue (with myself) to have a good .22lr rifle rather than the double

Malamute
01-05-2024, 06:18 PM
Late 60s/early 70s - Gen X.

1 - 2” .38 - Wadcutters for the carry load, probably 130gr FMJ for speed strips. Wadcutters for admin reload, FMJ for “speed” reloads.
2 - 2.5”-4” K frame - Factory .38 Special 158gr LSWCHP for most things. 125gr semi jacketed hollow points would also be useful. One of the advantages of the K frame with adjustable sights, especially if it is a .357, is the versatility available in the ammunition, even back then. I have reloading manuals from the era with a plethora of useful loads in various bullet designs and weights.

... and both types of .22LR \ for the revolver. Try to wear both out.

I dont recall seeing the 130 gr fmj jacket loads commercially available until some time in the 80s to 90s. I was baffled when i did start seeing them for sale, most people used various jacketed hollowpoints or lead wadcutters, RN or SWC bullets for general practice shooting or carry, the 130 gr was considered one of the wimpier loads ever made, and the odd choice of the Air Force and possibly other .mil users, but seems to have taken off in recent years.

Ive tried wearing out the K-22, something over 200K, possibly closing in on 300K, and its still perking along with no work other than replacing a lost thumbpiece nut. Ill keep working on it, I may be able to wear it out some day.

Duelist
01-06-2024, 09:47 AM
I dont recall seeing the 130 gr fmj jacket loads commercially available until some time in the 80s to 90s. I was baffled when i did start seeing them for sale, most people used various jacketed hollowpoints or lead wadcutters, RN or SWC bullets for general practice shooting or carry, the 130 gr was considered one of the wimpier loads ever made, and the odd choice of the Air Force and possibly other .mil users, but seems to have taken off in recent years.

Ive tried wearing out the K-22, something over 200K, possibly closing in on 300K, and its still perking along with no work other than replacing a lost thumbpiece nut. Ill keep working on it, I may be able to wear it out some day.

My understanding is that M41 ball came out in the mid-fifties, and that just like other military ball ammunition, it was not rare nor hard to source for my hypothetical self transported back to the late sixties/early seventies. After stepping through the time portal, should that not prove to be the case, I would have other options, as .38 Special was the single most popular centerfire handgun cartridge in the US at the time.

I have an S&W 18 no dash from the fifties. It runs like a brand new gun, and I cannot imagine wearing it out. Doesn’t mean that I won’t try!