PDA

View Full Version : Current State of Suspenders

Dog Guy
12-19-2023, 05:05 PM
We had a suspenders thread quite a while ago. I'm now at the point where a snug belt to hold my 3 o'clock IWB in place causes irritation in my hip. I'm trying AIWB, but the suspenders option to compensate for my age-related butt loss might be a smart move.
These will be worn under the shirt against the skin, or maybe a very light base layer. They would probably be an almost-a,ways worn item.

What has been working for all y'all? Any especially strong concepts, or any snake oil to avoid?

Glenn E. Meyer
12-19-2023, 05:36 PM
Perry - wear them over your shirt. I don't get why under them. So you look like a geezer! I have a pair in camo, that I wear to matches. Goes with the tactical pants and all the gear. Every once in awhile a geezer with those clip suspenders that rip your pants or come off, asks me where to get them.

They hook under your belt and are very secure. https://www.perrysuspenders.com/

They also come in various political statement colors if you like. Also, check out the associated holsters of various type.

One usage - we had a save the baby stage. Mass confusing among the gamers of how to hold the stuff doll baby while doing reloads etc. I found I could tuck the 'baby' under the suspenders.

Cookie Monster
12-19-2023, 05:40 PM
We had a suspenders thread quite a while ago. I'm now at the point where a snug belt to hold my 3 o'clock IWB in place causes irritation in my hip. I'm trying AIWB, but the suspenders option to compensate for my age-related butt loss might be a smart move.
These will be worn under the shirt against the skin, or maybe a very light base layer. They would probably be an almost-a,ways worn item.

What has been working for all y'all? Any especially strong concepts, or any snake oil to avoid?

Been using suspenders since 2016 or so experiencing a lot of GI issues. Used them to support pocket carry of a glock 26 and two mags, moved to a 42 after encountering hip issues.

I use trucker suspenders as they only have two connections and I sit at a desk alot. I use clips so I am not as cool as folks wearing leather tabs with buttons.

I used Duluth suspenders and they are good but last year I upgraded to Welch Workwear.

https://welchworkwear.com/suspenders.html - thicker, more supportive, and more durable.

I wear them over a baselayer so your use may differ.

Leroy Suggs
12-19-2023, 06:27 PM
As Glenn E. Meyer said. Perry. They work.

valian
12-19-2023, 07:44 PM
I also the Perry suspenders. I'm very partial to the Outback model for appendix carry.
I can't imagine wearing any suspenders against my skin. I think you will need at least a t-shirt under the suspenders.
Good luck

DDTSGM
12-19-2023, 08:13 PM
I tried the under garment suspenders for a day or two, i didn't care for the feeling that everyone knew I was wearing suspenders under my shirts. Also decided I didn't like the trucker/side attachment style.

The first one below is is what I had, it is well-made and might be just what you are looking for if you like the side clip style:

https://www.holdupsuspenders.com/products/2-wide-undergarment-xl-suspenders-in-x-back-style-with-patented-gripper-clasps

You might also take a look at the details of their no-slip metal clips.

https://www.holdupsuspenders.com/products/1-1-2-wide-xl-undergarment-suspenders-in-x-back-style-w-no-slip-reg-metal-clips

https://www.holdupsuspenders.com/products/2-wide-undergarment-hip-clip-style-suspenders-with-patented-no-slip-reg-metal-clips

For over the clothing suspenders I use Perry and wear them over tee-shirts under hoodies or wind jackets.

On the two suits I own I have the buttons sewn by the tailor for the button attachment type.

lee n. field
12-19-2023, 09:04 PM

Perry suspenders. Specifically the version designed to be worn under a shirt.

vcdgrips
12-20-2023, 07:46 AM
There was a time when my first shooting mentor was a big man and became a very big man. Nearly 400 lbs.

He ultimately had a surgery and lost about 1/2 of that.

Constant companions during that process were various sets of Perry Suspenders.

Dog Face Gremlin
12-20-2023, 08:23 AM
Yup.....Perry Suspenders...Great...2" over a long sleeve T and/ or under a sweatshirt..takes the weight off your hips and on to your shoulders.....they're not for old geezzers...more for gun fighters....omo.

lwt16
12-20-2023, 10:30 AM
Perry.

I have multiple colors and use white at work to support gear. They work well with my Hank’s Belts “gunfighter” belt which is probably the max thickness for the suspender hooks.

I wear them religiously and sometimes wear them under the shirt for off duty carry. Very stable and I’m not always tugging at the belt to get it back where it belongs when gravity pulls at it.

They’re great.

DDTSGM
12-20-2023, 10:13 PM
There was a time when my first shooting mentor was a big man and became a very big man. Nearly 400 lbs.

He ultimately had a surgery and lost about 1/2 of that.

Constant companions during that process were various sets of Perry Suspenders.

By any chance was he Roger L.?

vcdgrips
12-21-2023, 10:57 AM
Maj. Douglas Smith (USA), Ret. RIP.

TGS
12-21-2023, 11:14 AM
Perry.

They're the unofficial suspender-of-choice for federal agents working protection details. The gold standard.

As for under the shirt, use an undershirt and you'll be fine. I haven't done it, but at one of my previous assignments where we were carrying a pistol, 2 spare mags, spare carbine mag, radio, etc concealed in street clothes, one of the guys on my team had one of those body shapes that lacks a rear end. He wore Perry's under his outer garment just as you're proposing. It's a thing, you're not crazy, go for it.

RealSelf
12-21-2023, 12:10 PM
Perry.

They're the unofficial suspender-of-choice for federal agents working protection details. The gold standard.

As for under the shirt, use an undershirt and you'll be fine. I haven't done it, but at one of my previous assignments where we were carrying a pistol, 2 spare mags, spare carbine mag, radio, etc concealed in street clothes, one of the guys on my team had one of those body shapes that lacks a rear end. He wore Perry's under his outer garment just as you're proposing. It's a thing, you're not crazy, go for it.

Which model are they using, Perry makes a dozen or so styles that clip on belt. I've got a few of them and they are very different in function depending on what you get, even changes in webbing thickness/material make a huge difference in feel/function. I've mostly used the Ruff-N-Tuff standard 3-point style but thinking I may like the standard material thickness better as it seems quite excessively thick for what I'd be holding up with them.

TGS
12-21-2023, 12:23 PM
Which model are they using, Perry makes a dozen or so styles that clip on belt. I've got a few of them and they are very different in function depending on what you get, even changes in webbing thickness/material make a huge difference in feel/function. I've mostly used the Ruff-N-Tuff standard 3-point style but thinking I may like the standard material thickness better as it seems quite excessively thick for what I'd be holding up with them.

With the caveat that I'm not omniscient...

...the Original 1.5" seem to be the most common. I use the original 2". I've seen a few uBEEs, though they're pretty uncommon. I tried the uBEE and didn't like it.

They're usually worn with a suit...I don't think I've ever seen a Ruff-N-Tuff worn.

awp_101
12-23-2023, 01:37 PM
Perry - wear them over your shirt. I don't get why under them.
Because wearing them over an untucked polo shirt will make me look even more stupid than I already do.

RealSelf
12-23-2023, 01:45 PM
Because wearing them over an untucked polo shirt will make me look even more stupid than I already do.

Or you have to wear two shirts with the suspenders between, which sucks dangus in the FL summer. Perry makes undergarment suspenders now which I plan to try very soon.

awp_101
12-23-2023, 02:00 PM
Or you have to wear two shirts with the suspenders between, which sucks dangus in the FL summer. Perry makes undergarment suspenders now which I plan to try very soon.

Yeah, it's no cakewalk in a Texas summer either. :D

Glenn E. Meyer
12-23-2023, 02:01 PM

At 76, looking stupid is not a problem. Just a FOG. Anyway, with my OWB, I have a cover garment. If pocket carry, Folks can see the suspenders. I'm more embarrassed that my wonderful head of curly air has disappeared for the chrome dome.

Since I don't IWB or AIWB, untucked isn't in my style repertoire. Seeing young guys doing that the other day, my food storage bodily configuration isn't compatible. Given hip/back problems, added pressure on the FOG bod, nah - I'll pass. Cinching a belt real tight - No, ouch!

But since the 2nd Circuit freed up some aspects of carry, my EDC is the G26 and an extra mag, OWB. My Galco and JM holsters work well. I use them for matches also as I'm more interested in carry practice than gaming. My strolling reduces any chance of moving up in the scoring.

Whining about age is getting old. I need to stop it.

RealSelf
12-23-2023, 02:22 PM
Yeah, it's no cakewalk in a Texas summer either. :D

I just bought one of each in beige to test, free shipping right now also.

https://www.perrysuspenders.com/online-store/uBEE-Perry-Suspenders™-Undergarment-Beige-p203900088

https://www.perrysuspenders.com/online-store/Y-Back-Beige-Undergarment-Perry-Suspenders™-p435884539

UBEE Undergarment comes in black also, for all of you tactical Timmy's out there!

https://www.perrysuspenders.com/online-store/uBEE-Perry-Suspenders™-Undergarment-Black-p265751067

Dog Guy
02-12-2024, 11:37 PM
Thanks to all the input, I've been using the Perry uBEE. They're working quite well. It took some creativity to sort out the hook position so as not to interfere with 3:00 holster positioning but it is manageable. If I go AIWB it will be even easier.
It is way more comfortable on my bad hip, not needing to cinch my belt tightly to support the gun.