PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Recoil Pad, Limbsaver, Kick-eez, Pachmayr?

Tyrok
12-19-2023, 10:24 AM
Hey everybody! I've recently got into shotguns with the purchase of a Benelli M4 (the version with a collapsable stock, that was a pain to change :mad:). Been having a lot of fun setting it up and learning all the ins and out of loading, switching slugs, all that fun stuff.

I'm also practicing the Haught's push-pull technique on the range. But it would be nice to have something to take the edge of off recoil when I'm zeroing slugs from a bench or shooting prone, or just when I don't push-pull well enough with a slug.

So my question is, what is everyone's favorite recoil pad for a shotgun? The premier brands seem to be Limbsaver, Kick-eez, and Pachmayr. What has the best Longevity? What has the best recoil reduction? Is there some other aspect I'm missing?

Thanks everyone for the help!

fatdog
12-19-2023, 11:06 AM
I have been a Pachmyr decelerator fan for a about 20 years, none of mine have crumbled and it does provide a lot of help over the standard pads on every shotgun ever sold to me...so one data point. I had my M1S90 Benelli's stocks cut down for 13" LOP, built up new screw anchor points out of marine epoxy, and installed, and then contoured/ground down the Pachmyr decelerators...they were great for that application.

Bigghoss
12-19-2023, 12:12 PM
I have only ever tried Limbsaver. I bought a Mesa Tactical Urbino stock for my 11-87 with the Limbsaver option and it helped a lot.

Erick Gelhaus
12-19-2023, 12:42 PM
I've happily used Pachmayr for years; the ones on the Magpul stocks have been solid too; and I'm really happy with the Kick-Eez that came on the Chisel Machining stock I've got.

So, yes.

Pnut
12-19-2023, 01:26 PM
I only have experience with the LimbSaver and I’m happy with them. I have them on a 1301 and a Benelli M1. I chose them because they have drop in sizes (1301) and grind to fit sizes which I used on the M1 after shortening the stock.

Learner
12-19-2023, 01:40 PM
I have used a few Limbsavers, and they do work well, but after a while (10+ years) they have started degrading into a sticky goo. No experience with the others.

dmiculek
12-19-2023, 04:45 PM
I have used a few Limbsavers, and they do work well, but after a while (10+ years) they have started degrading into a sticky goo. No experience with the others.

Same experience, just recently replaced them with Kick-EEZ.

Tyrok
12-19-2023, 10:36 PM
Same experience, just recently replaced them with Kick-EEZ.

That is very interesting to me. This isn't the first time that I've heard of Limb Saver having a 10-year lifespan. I wonder if Kick-EEZ will be the same? Or will it last longer.:confused:

Tyrok
12-19-2023, 10:39 PM
Wow, so much great information! You guys are the best!

Please don't hold back if anyone thinks of anything else, and a massive thank you to all who have posted so far. :D

Pnut
12-19-2023, 11:40 PM
Hmmm… now you guys have me worried about my LimbSavers. I wonder if occasional applications of a rubber conditioner like 303 would resolve the problem.

But back on topic… for you guys that have tried the various brands, which one actually absorbs recoil better?

GJM
12-19-2023, 11:44 PM
I am not a fan of prone or shooting off a bench when zeroing slugs. I like to shoot kneeling, supported by something like across the seat of an ATV. That provides a steady shooting position while letting your body move with the recoil.

Attributes that make a specific recoil pad more comfortable shooting slugs from the bench or prone may be disadvantageous shooting slugs for real. You could strap on a PAST shoulder pad or two on just for zeroing.

Tyrok
12-21-2023, 09:49 AM
Attributes that make a specific recoil pad more comfortable shooting slugs from the bench or prone may be disadvantageous shooting slugs for real.

Thanks for the information! By disadvantageous, do you mean moving with the recoil? Is that more of a challenge with the soft recoil pads? Or do you mean something else?

Appreciate it :D

sparkyv
12-23-2023, 10:29 AM
LimbSavers on my long guns, Hogues on my handguns.

Cory
12-23-2023, 11:29 AM
I don't run any aftermarket recoil pads, though I've shot a few different ones. Honestly none of them work as well as the Beretta kick-off stock I tried out.

I haven't properly been instructed on push-pull technique but I've tried to give it a shot. Likely doing it wrong. My understanding is that push-pull performed correctly does more than a recoil pad can.

Rick R
12-25-2023, 10:07 AM
I like the Pachmayr Sporting Clays Decelerator pad. It has a hard insert at the top to keep it from catching on clothing while mounting the gun. The pads are soft enough to blunt recoil and don’t seem to degrade over time.