PDA

View Full Version : The Consistency Challenge

ToddG
11-07-2012, 11:29 PM
I've been preaching consistency (http://pistol-training.com/archives/7327) a lot lately. I've also been trying to improve my own consistency. Here's one approach that I've found interesting.

Start with a PAR time that you're confident you can meet for a given drill. For purposes of this "challenge" we'll use drawing to a 3x5 card, firing two shots, and getting two hits.

Shoot the drill five times. If you don't get 100% hits, repeat the drill as many times as necessary until you do.

Once you get 100% hits (ten hits for this drill), take a tenth of a second off your PAR time and repeat.

Stop whenever you want. If you pick it up again later (later that day or in a future practice session), start again from the best time that you scored 100% hits.

Continue for as long as you wish. Record your times and the number of tries is took to be successful each session.

ToddG
11-07-2012, 11:30 PM
7-Nov-12

from concealment (5 Shot Leather S.M.E. holster under untucked polo)
SACS/Warren 9mm 1911

start: 2.0s, took two tries to get 100%

1.9s took five tries

1.8s took seven tries

1.7s failed, tried ten times

ToddG
11-09-2012, 11:30 PM
9-Nov-12

from concealment (5 Shot Leather S.M.E. holster under untucked polo)
SACS/Warren 9mm 1911

start: 1.8s, 100% on first try

1.7s failed, tried ten times ... most were successful four out of five runs

Between the dramatically better results at 1.8 and the improvement at 1.7, I feel like the exercise has definitely proved worthwhile so far.