PDA

View Full Version : Two Holsters, One Gun?

revchuck38
12-05-2023, 04:31 PM
I've been listening to snubby-centric podcasts and have a good bit of driving coming up. I'm considering ordering this holster (https://www.thewilderness.com/ankle-rigs/wilderness-renegade-ankle-holster-for-autos/revolvers-xhd-elastic/) for those drives. My usual carry position is at 3 - 3:30, which is where my seatbelt fastens, so if I needed the gun while in the car it'd be...awkward. The ankle rig would take care of that. OTOH, if I needed the gun while out of the car, having it in the ankle rig would be...awkward.

I'm thinking about wearing two holsters for the same gun (probably my 642) and switching between them as necessary. Does anyone have experience with this? I highly doubt I'm the first to think of this and would like to find out if it does or doesn't work.

CCT125US
12-05-2023, 04:45 PM
Not to totally ignore your question... is it safe to venture a guess you've ruled out AIWB?

WobblyPossum
12-05-2023, 04:52 PM
Cecil Burch has spoken about doing this while he was still working in his suit and tie job. He’d have to do a lot of driving to see clients and would often have a pocket holster and an ankle holster on. The revolver would be primarily in the pocket holster but he would move it to the ankle holster for the drive to the client. Upon reaching his destination he would put the gun back into his pocket holster.

1slow
12-05-2023, 04:54 PM
Why not 1 gun in each location ?

Navin Johnson
12-05-2023, 05:02 PM
^^dis^^

An airline Jay frame with a quality holster and a sock or two if necessary can wear an ankle gun all day

Do it all the time

Either jacket pocket or pants pocket and ankle

JohnO
12-05-2023, 05:10 PM

NY reload!

JCN
12-05-2023, 05:55 PM
If I were going to do something on the ankle it would be an Onion field type of thing with either a P32 or NAA mini or something.

gato naranja
12-05-2023, 05:58 PM
We did something similar years ago when it was just handier to have a shoulder rig for that part of the day spent in the car or truck.

revchuck38
12-05-2023, 06:19 PM
Not to totally ignore your question... is it safe to venture a guess you've ruled out AIWB?

That's a possibility, and I have AIWB holsters for a J frame, my 3" K frame, and my P99c. I've resisted it because I've got 40+ years of carrying strong side and that's a lot of re-programming.

I could do the Detective Special in the ankle rig and a K frame at 3:00 and use the same speedloader for either, like an old-school cop. ;) In the context of "mission drives the gear train", I honestly don't see the need for two guns. And if I did get in a shooting, I can see an asshole prosecutor bringing that up as an indication of bad intent on my part.

BillSWPA
12-05-2023, 06:29 PM
Every time the gun is moved from one holster to the other, there is some risk of someone seeing the gun.

A prosecutor could try to make someone look bad for carrying 2 guns, but would be unlikely to get vary far given all of the literature explaining why backup guns are a good idea.

I have occasionally carried a Detective Special in an ankle holster. I would not want to carry a gun that heavy in that location very often.

With some practice and experimentation, it is possible to draw a gun from IWB while wearing a seat belt.

revchuck38
12-05-2023, 06:39 PM
BillSWPA - I was being facetious with the DS remark. I'd use the 642 if I went down this road.

CCT125US
12-05-2023, 07:23 PM
I've always spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel. I may be in and out of my vehicle a dozen or more times throughout the day. The several times I really thought I might need my gun while seated, I was glad to have it AIWB. In those times, I never wished I had it at 3 o'clock, or on my ankle.

Play through some scenarios in which you may have to draw. Discover what takes less time, effort and motion to get the gun in hand.

Up1911Fan
12-05-2023, 10:13 PM
Primary gun is carried AIWB, BUG is carries SS front pocket. While traveling for an extended period of time the snub and holster are removed from the pocket and placed under my leg. Immediate access in the vehicle. Goes back in the pocket before exiting the vehicle, but can also easily be handed to my wife before getting out of the car.

Utm
12-06-2023, 01:08 AM
I can't really imagine a real scenario where you wouldn't have time to draw from your normal carry position or use the vehicle to escape or as a wepon.

Joe in PNG
12-06-2023, 02:46 AM
So this isn't the NSFW Tarran Tactical video?

Hambo
12-06-2023, 06:03 AM
That's a possibility, and I have AIWB holsters for a J frame, my 3" K frame, and my P99c. I've resisted it because I've got 40+ years of carrying strong side and that's a lot of re-programming.

I could do the Detective Special in the ankle rig and a K frame at 3:00 and use the same speedloader for either, like an old-school cop. ;) In the context of "mission drives the gear train", I honestly don't see the need for two guns. And if I did get in a shooting, I can see an asshole prosecutor bringing that up as an indication of bad intent on my part.

Transitioning to AIWB isn't hard. A lot of us did it, and you can too. As far as the second point goes, in the large part of the country with reasonable carry laws, I've never heard of a restriction on how many guns you can carry.

revchuck38
12-06-2023, 06:17 AM
Transitioning to AIWB isn't hard. A lot of us did it, and you can too.

Got me thinking...

sharps54
12-06-2023, 06:53 AM
Transitioning to AIWB isn't hard. A lot of us did it, and you can too. As far as the second point goes, in the large part of the country with reasonable carry laws, I've never heard of a restriction on how many guns you can carry.

I’m in the road traveling so don’t really have time to research at the moment but I think there is at least one state that specifies one handgun, or I may be mixing CCW with security guard laws :confused:

BTW I spoke to a few of the former / current LEOs that were instructors at the recent revolver round up and there doesn’t seem to be much of any case history of going after someone for carrying two guns. Of course the LEOs and former/retired LEOs are fine here as they can say that’s what they did on the job.

WobblyPossum
12-06-2023, 08:30 AM

I’m in the road traveling so don’t really have time to research at the moment but I think there is at least one state that specifies one handgun, or I may be mixing CCW with security guard laws :confused:

BTW I spoke to a few of the former / current LEOs that were instructors at the recent revolver round up and there doesn’t seem to be much of any case history of going after someone for carrying two guns. Of course the LEOs and former/retired LEOs are fine here as they can say that’s what they did on the job.

New Mexico only allows for one handgun at a time to be carried concealed.

camsdaddy
12-06-2023, 09:13 AM
I've heard it called a floating gun and I've heard this is where the snub shines. You can stick in pocket, under leg, IWB, AIWB, or other places as well.

1Rangemaster
12-06-2023, 10:18 AM
The late Walt Rauch(RIP) told stories of where Secret Service agents would have two belt holsters: one at the "FBI" position and another crossdraw that the agent slipped the revolver(4" Smith?) in if they drove. Couple of things come to mind: 1) any handling by its nature ups the chances of an ND, and 2) these days, if someone sees the switch, e.g., in a parking lot, hysteria may erupt.
That said, I'm sitting in a med center parking lot waiting on a family member to finish an appointment. There's a G26 in an old Alesia ankle rig on my ankle. If I get back to office, I'll probably switch to a belt holster and shoot a qual.
I periodically carry two pieces-belt and ankle.
FWIW, if one can run snubs, two might be an approach...

Rex G
12-07-2023, 08:57 AM
I have switched back and forth from ankle rig to pocket, during long road trips, but that was more to allow better circulation, during breaks in driving, and to allow the skin above the ankle to breathe during those breaks. Normally, this has been while carrying 2+ handguns. I would rather keep the “primary” weapon on my hip, in its normal place. (Except for the few places it would be illegal to conceal two handguns, of course.)

Why keep the “primary” handgun in its normal place? Well, familiarity is one reason; we will tend to default to the familiar location, when things become exciting. And, the instant I am off my butt, or off my back, a hip is, usually, optimally accessible. Plus, Texas. Texians were toting multiple Colt’s Revolving Pistols since the days of the Republic. ;) “Texians” is not a typo, and neither is the apostrophe in “Colt’s.”

There is the matter of vehicle selection. When shopping for vehicles, sitting in the driver’s seat, to check seat belt clearance from my right hip, is a priority.

Then, there is the potential of tweaking the carry position, to be optimal for access while driving. 0330 can be modified to 0230-0300, or so.

BN
12-07-2023, 09:53 AM
I have been experimenting a little bit with a "Sticky" holster for J-Frame/856 size revolvers. I can use it as a pocket holster or switch the whole unit to AIWB or IWB as situations change. Walking: pocket, Driving: AIWB etc.

I realize that people look down on them, but I think they might have a place.

I prefer an AHolster for pocket carry, but I would need a separate holster for any other carry.

BN
12-07-2023, 10:00 AM
The late Walt Rauch(RIP) told stories of where Secret Service agents would have two belt holsters: one at the "FBI" position and another crossdraw that the agent slipped the revolver(4" Smith?) in if they drove.

When i was going through the academy around 1980, one of the instructors that came in was a federal agent of some sort. His issued gun, that he was required to carry, was a S&W Model 19. He carried it on his weak side and carried a 9mm S&W Model 59 on his strong side.

revchuck38
12-07-2023, 10:06 AM
I have switched back and forth from ankle rig to pocket, during long road trips, but that was more to allow better circulation, during breaks in driving, and to allow the skin above the ankle to breathe during those breaks. Normally, this has been while carrying 2+ handguns. I would rather keep the “primary” weapon on my hip, in its normal place. (Except for the few places it would be illegal to conceal two handguns, of course.)

Why keep the “primary” handgun in its normal place? Well, familiarity is one reason; we will tend to default to the familiar location, when things become exciting. And, the instant I am off my butt, or off my back, a hip is, usually, optimally accessible. Plus, Texas. Texians were toting multiple Colt’s Revolving Pistols since the days of the Republic. ;) “Texians” is not a typo, and neither is the apostrophe in “Colt’s.”

So, when I cross over the Sabine, my 4" Official Police on my hip and the DS on my ankle? :)

Rex G
12-09-2023, 09:48 AM
So, when I cross over the Sabine, my 4" Official Police on my hip and the DS on my ankle? :)

Nice combination!

Gun Mutt
12-09-2023, 01:35 PM
I have been experimenting a little bit with a "Sticky" holster for J-Frame/856 size revolvers. I can use it as a pocket holster or switch the whole unit to AIWB or IWB as situations change. Walking: pocket, Driving: AIWB etc.

I realize that people look down on them, but I think they might have a place.

I prefer an AHolster for pocket carry, but I would need a separate holster for any other carry.

Hamre Forge (https://hamreforge.com/shop/)?

awp_101
12-09-2023, 01:56 PM
Every time the gun is moved from one holster to the other, there is some risk of someone seeing the gun.
If it's done carefully while still in the vehicle, it shouldn't be a problem. Additionally, having one of those windshield sunscreens in place (standard issue for Texas summers) is useful as well. I put mine up when I get to work regardless of the weather for a similar reason and no one has ever asked why. Even in winter or if it's raining. If anyone asks, it's just force of habit.

BN
12-09-2023, 03:57 PM
Hamre Forge (https://hamreforge.com/shop/)?

This is a combination of @claudewerner's Barami grip modification and Lost River's backstrap and tape mods. I just put this together the other day and haven't carried it yet.

SCCY Marshal
12-10-2023, 10:39 PM
BN, I'm glad you got a small frame Taurus Barami to work. Mine didn't for reasons and it was a bummer.

As for the thread, I've bounced a pocket pistol from coat to pants on cold days when going indoors. Just hit the bathroom and lose the coat there while swapping pockets. Coat checks are for swankier people than me, anyway.

But my day to day is more like 1Rangemaster described; two snubs, one belt and the other pocketed.

CraigS
12-18-2023, 09:18 AM
I tried an ankle holster once. The maneuvering needed to get it out of the holster told me to dump that idea for an only gun. Backup gun is different. I carry an M&P compact in a Crossbreed hybrid holster. I had put some tape on the leather where the belt passes through to get rid of squeaks. It also made the holster pretty easy to slide along the belt. So my belt skips the 3:00 belt loop and that allows me to go from a 3-330 position to almost a 2:00 position when in the car. W/ the gun at 2:00 and some careful placement of a coat tail I can draw the gun while seated. It won't be a 1.5 second draw but I can get to it fairly well. The other option for a longer multi hour drive is set the gun in the center console. I have to plan ahead if it is in the console at any stops. Need to park further from the door so I can get it into my holster w/o anyone noticing.

awp_101
12-18-2023, 10:11 AM

This is a combination of @claudewerner's Barami grip modification and Lost River's backstrap and tape mods. I just put this together the other day and haven't carried it yet.

I know about Barami, what’s the mod?

RevolverRob
12-18-2023, 10:26 AM
Upside down shoulder holster and light snub = perfect driving combo.

Call Ken Null and get an SMZ for a J-Frame/LCR/D-Frame whatever you have.

I find appendix digs too deep into my thigh and stomach on longer trips to be super comfortable. For me, the comfort of a shoulder holster has never been beat when it comes to driving.

SCCY Marshal
12-18-2023, 12:21 PM

Add a grip adapter and and upside-down Hogue Handall Jr. over it all:

https://snubtraining.wordpress.com/2009/07/13/snub-training-werner-carry-system/

revchuck38
12-18-2023, 12:40 PM
Upside down shoulder holster and light snub = perfect driving combo.

Call Ken Null and get an SMZ for a J-Frame/LCR/D-Frame whatever you have.

I find appendix digs too deep into my thigh and stomach on longer trips to be super comfortable. For me, the comfort of a shoulder holster has never been beat when it comes to driving.

Shoot, maybe I ought to dig out my ancient Bianchi X-15 and carry my PX4 D. :)

awp_101
12-18-2023, 01:24 PM
Add a grip adapter and and upside-down Hogue Handall Jr. over it all:

https://snubtraining.wordpress.com/2009/07/13/snub-training-werner-carry-system/

Thanks, that’s interesting! I’d probably do hockey tape instead of the Hogue because I have a roll on hand but no Hogue…

BN
12-18-2023, 02:58 PM

Claude's has already been mentioned. Lost River used the tape to hold a strip of leather on the backstrap to cushion the recoil. I used a chunk of Dr Scholl's shoe insert. :)

Chuck Whitlock
12-18-2023, 10:28 PM
I've been listening to snubby-centric podcasts and have a good bit of driving coming up. I'm considering ordering this holster (https://www.thewilderness.com/ankle-rigs/wilderness-renegade-ankle-holster-for-autos/revolvers-xhd-elastic/) for those drives. My usual carry position is at 3 - 3:30, which is where my seatbelt fastens, so if I needed the gun while in the car it'd be...awkward. The ankle rig would take care of that. OTOH, if I needed the gun while out of the car, having it in the ankle rig would be...awkward.

I'm thinking about wearing two holsters for the same gun (probably my 642) and switching between them as necessary. Does anyone have experience with this? I highly doubt I'm the first to think of this and would like to find out if it does or doesn't work.
You might want to take a look at Sam Andrews' Carjacker Crossdraw.

http://andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

Lost River
12-20-2023, 09:42 PM

Combo of leather strip and vet wrap/bandage dressing.

The Centennial models have a bit of a sharp edge high on the backstrap and it does not take long shooting one for it to become uncomfortable, or if you have heavy loads for it to cut the web of your hand.

After years of experimentation, I settled on the following. Using a strip of leather hot glued to the back strap of the frame to cushion that area. Then wrap the whole grip in vet wrap to fit the size of my hand and soften the grip a bit. Plus it helps in getting a good grip on the gun with my size XL hands.

It may not be pretty but it is very practical and I find that I can shoot quite a few more rounds with the gun modified this way that in the stock form. Every now and then the vet wrap needs to be replaced, when it is no longer as soft and pliable as it was initially.

https://i.imgur.com/NWQ56CAh.jpg

Dog Face Gremlin
01-12-2024, 04:35 PM
Cross draw...........

psalms144.1
01-12-2024, 05:08 PM
Subsequent to my hip replacement and on-going back issues, belt carry of any kind has become untenable for long drives. I've switched to a horizontal shoulder holster for my P365XL, with two 15 rounders off-side, if I can't take care of what I run into, more gun(s) probably isn't going to help.

The shoulder rig took some doing to get used to, and requires plenty of dry fire draws to get smoothish, but it's hella comfortable for long drives. For instance, in the last two months, I've done two 20-hour round trips to Richmond, and a 27 hour round trip to/from Long Island. Complete comfort.

revchuck38
01-12-2024, 05:21 PM
I've got an old Bianchi X-15 that I've thought about using. I got it way back when and thought I'd use it with my 5" Gubmint Model, I don't remember if I ever tried it. Time to dig it out and wipe the dust/mold off it...

JJN
01-12-2024, 08:17 PM
I've done this in the cold months. I carry in the coat pocket, and then transfer to an ankle holster once I reach work and hang my coat up.