PDA

View Full Version : Establishing reliability after part replacement

Mitchell, Esq.
03-30-2011, 09:51 AM
How much testing do you guys do after replacing a wear part in your carry gun?

Extractors, springs...that sort of thing.

Do you treat it as if you are proofing the gun all over again, or are you happy with a few trouble free magazines?

ToddG
03-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Depends completely on the part, why it was replaced, and what history both that part and the gun may have.

If a model is known to have some wonky extractors, replacing the extractor would probably have me back to doing a complete test again. At the very least, I wouldn't carry the gun until it had fired a couple hundred rounds of practice ammo flawlessly followed by at least 100 rounds of carry ammo without a problem.

If the part being replaced has no real impact on the cycle of operation (e.g., a trigger spring) then ideally I'd like to test fire it for a few mags of practice ammo to be sure everything is together right, but even that isn't really necessary.

JodyH
03-30-2011, 08:34 PM
When I replaced the flat spring, trigger return spring and recoil spring in my P2000 I hit the range for a 50 round session and called it GTG.
Basically a live fire function check.

If I had of changed a "hard part" (frame, slide barrel, hammer) instead of a "consumable" (springs and pins) I might do a more extensive test.